Make permanent Hardcore server!

Ying

5000+ hours played
No thanks. A permanent hardcore server will have a population less than Wayfinder. Part of hardcore's success is reliant on the limited time availability. Part of it is FOMO, part of it is having a large enough user base playing where you have critical mass for grouping.

Sturmbb

Do I really need to explain... lol

Worth a shot.

Love yall,
GOD bless
If they did a Permanent Hardcore server, were it reset and recycled the rewards every 3 months. I could get on board with that. The only problem is that a lot of the guild leaders maybe a bit miffed that the server is permanent but they have to keep spending money to keep the guilids / Guild ships up. Would it be possible to reset the server / Rewards but keep the guilds iintact. Not Sure from a coding point of view whether this would be achievable.

Memnir

5eQl0LO.gif

The Narc

Dont see how a meme about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence brings any valued inout to the OP’s original post. If you have an opinion on a hardcore server and as to why or why not you would like one feel free to add to the conversation. I personally would love to see a trial run of a permanent server, see what interest it draws, maybe give it 6 months to see if it is healthy and active.

Onyxia2016

As @Ying eluded to, HC gets players because it is not always available. Generally people want what they can't always have.

I guess this is where we insert the obligated statement when these things are requested.
"If you want a HC experience that resets, rollup a new character and play it. Give it nothing. If you die, delete the character.
At the end of three months it can be just like a normal character that you can freely trade items to and if it dies you can resurrect, as in no HC limitations"

OK I think that about covers the way these threads normally go.

The Narc

As @Ying eluded to, HC gets players because it is not always available. Generally people want what they can't always have.

I guess this is where we insert the obligated statement when these things are requested.
"If you want a HC experience that resets, rollup a new character and play it. Give it nothing. If you die, delete the character.
At the end of three months it can be just like a normal character that you can freely trade items to and if it dies you can resurrect, as in no HC limitations"

OK I think that about covers the way these threads normally go.
To start, it doesnt matter to me what your maybe friend Ying states about other peoples wants, he is not an authority in regards to the game nor to mine or potentially others choices, so you should not pin him to such a position, i am guessing he doesnt appreciate it. As for his view on a HC server, he is entitled to his view and is welcome to share it, his view is to be respected for exactly what it is “his view” which he clearly kept as his view by the way he wrote up his post in an elegant manner. (Lol and as you can see the supporting cast reacting to his post are a bunch of lava divers that play in death smiles, these reactions fly out like a circular motion, i mean one has even posted about how many reactions they have like reactions might insuate that they are some authority in game, but ultimately they are allowed their one vote like any other player and their views are to be heard and respected should they wish to post them)

To continue, using terms like generally and “we” to try and convey your opinion as the end result or fact just comes across as a bullied approach to try and devalue the request that the original poster has requested. It is even more crass to declare in a tone that you are an authority on SSG’s final decision on the future of such a request by claiming your statement as obligated.

To finish, making a statement that the way you have posted is the way most of the threads requesting a hardcore server have come to an end, clearly shows the toxicity of such a bullying thread and Cordovan could use this example as a good way to start trending the forums in a non toxic manner in the future.

To the OP, maybe you should start a new thread or edit your OP to state you want to start a list of players that would like to see a permanent hardcore server. You could edit your original post and each time a forumite posts it is a good idea and would join such a server you could edit your original post to add their name, in this way you could begin to form a place that has all the positive responses in what spot and SSG can possibly recognize. You could add me to the list and i know several people that do have forums active and would also agree, and i am sure they are some more people i know that if something like this started to trend well i could convince them to also activate their forum account to join as well. Keep going OP, dont be bullied out of your request, remain passionate.

Onyxia2016

To start, it doesnt matter to me what your maybe friend Ying states about other peoples wants, he is not an authority in regards to the game nor to mine or potentially others choices, so you should not pin him to such a position, i am guessing he doesnt appreciate it. As for his view on a HC server, he is entitled to his view and is welcome to share it, his view is to be respected for exactly what it is “his view” which he clearly kept as his view by the way he wrote up his post in an elegant manner. (Lol and as you can see the supporting cast reacting to his post are a bunch of lava divers that play in death smiles, these reactions fly out like a circular motion, i mean one has even posted about how many reactions they have like reactions might insuate that they are some authority in game, but ultimately they are allowed their one vote like any other player and their views are to be heard and respected should they wish to post them)

To continue, using terms like generally and “we” to try and convey your opinion as the end result or fact just comes across as a bullied approach to try and devalue the request that the original poster has requested. It is even more crass to declare in a tone that you are an authority on SSG’s final decision on the future of such a request by claiming your statement as obligated.

To finish, making a statement that the way you have posted is the way most of the threads requesting a hardcore server have come to an end, clearly shows the toxicity of such a bullying thread and Cordovan could use this example as a good way to start trending the forums in a non toxic manner in the future.

To the OP, maybe you should start a new thread or edit your OP to state you want to start a list of players that would like to see a permanent hardcore server. You could edit your original post and each time a forumite posts it is a good idea and would join such a server you could edit your original post to add their name, in this way you could begin to form a place that has all the positive responses in what spot and SSG can possibly recognize. You could add me to the list and i know several people that do have forums active and would also agree, and i am sure they are some more people i know that if something like this started to trend well i could convince them to also activate their forum account to join as well. Keep going OP, dont be bullied out of your request, remain passionate.
I only know @Ying from the forums and even then we don't always agree but we do more often than not. I was not pinning him in any situation. That is you attempting to instigate conflict. It will not work.

As for my comment "Generally people want what they can't always have.", this is not my opinion but the opinion of numerous board certified phycologists and the studies they have published. It is most commonly know as the "Forbidden Fruit Effect". This is basic human nature.

The "obligated statement" is the inevitable end to such threads, I simplify wanted to get to that end and skip the 20 pages of name calling, idiotic comments and general discord that ensues. This was not bullying in any sense of the word.

Personally I do not care if there is a permanent HC server. If there are enough people to make a go of it and is profitable to SSG.
Not that we need another poll but if one is started, that would be a better approach than just asking for a permanent HC server.
This would also go for the ..
Level cap at 20 server.
No reaper server
No epic destiny server
or the dozen of other specialty server that have been mentioned over the years.

If @Cordovan sees anything wrong with what was posted he can lock and/or delete the thread entirely. I would be fine with that.

popejubal

I’d like a server that resets monthly and doesn’t let you enter any quests. And has free transfers off the server. Because I mostly value Hardcore for the 1/server bonus items. :)

Uska

Founder
If they did a Permanent Hardcore server, were it reset and recycled the rewards every 3 months. I could get on board with that. The only problem is that a lot of the guild leaders maybe a bit miffed that the server is permanent but they have to keep spending money to keep the guilids / Guild ships up. Would it be possible to reset the server / Rewards but keep the guilds iintact. Not Sure from a coding point of view whether this would be achievable.
just do a character wipe every 3 months and give guild leaders 3 days to name a successor before they are wiped

deuxanes

Imho the main benefit of a HC server is that it's limited in time and that it's almost a level playing field (i.e. no past lives, no geared up toons). You can't avoid having an edge due to game and build knowledge.

Let's be honest. A significant portion of the player base does it for the favour rewards and similar "carrots". You can't blame people. Some just want an incentive. After some point the HC server population drops.

A permament HC server with resets wouldn't be the same. It's like too much of a "good" thing. You only get saturated faster. Without an incentive you will only lure a fraction of the player base there.

People will also have different interests during the year and seasons. An optimal schedule would be to schedule it for winter seasons/ seasons , monsoon seasons where you can't do much outdoor activities (depending where the majority of the player base sits). That might be 2 optimal time slots during the year. But that might also conflict with other events.

Just enjoy the running HC season. It's still going for some time.

Br4d

People miss the fact that HC is also successful because it involves a kind of risk that just isn't there on the standard servers.

This risk would only grow as people played characters on HC for multiple lives. It would become a constant buzz as you navigated a character through the trials of perma-death, with no cheating available.

Permanent HC would create different weights and balances as you built and played characters. Trust would become a much bigger factor as you grouped. You'd know most of the people who were grouping in your level range and probably mourn the good ones who died and had to restart.

You'd play more alts because some nights you just wouldn't want to be taking risks with your main. You'd also probably want a character to switch over too for high level grouping if your main suddenly died.

There wouldn't be 6 or 8 servers that people who shared your play type were spread out over. There'd just be the one.

Based on how WoW HC and Classic interact the population would be rejuvenated fairly quickly as people who had stopped playing checked in to see what the new format was really like. WoW made the regrettable decision to quickly rollout new Classic formats and to split the community by automatically rolling characters over from baseline to the next thing. Their decision did not cause a dropoff in Classic participation but it did split the community over many more servers and so things thinned out a bit.

DDO wouldn't have to do that. One HC server would be just fine and would likely see a stable population over time.

The Narc

People miss the fact that HC is also successful because it involves a kind of risk that just isn't there on the standard servers.

This risk would only grow as people played characters on HC for multiple lives. It would become a constant buzz as you navigated a character through the trials of perma-death, with no cheating available.

Permanent HC would create different weights and balances as you built and played characters. Trust would become a much bigger factor as you grouped. You'd know most of the people who were grouping in your level range and probably mourn the good ones who died and had to restart.

You'd play more alts because some nights you just wouldn't want to be taking risks with your main. You'd also probably want a character to switch over too for high level grouping if your main suddenly died.

There wouldn't be 6 or 8 servers that people who shared your play type were spread out over. There'd just be the one.

Based on how WoW HC and Classic interact the population would be rejuvenated fairly quickly as people who had stopped playing checked in to see what the new format was really like. WoW made the regrettable decision to quickly rollout new Classic formats and to split the community by automatically rolling characters over from baseline to the next thing. Their decision did not cause a dropoff in Classic participation but it did split the community over many more servers and so things thinned out a bit.

DDO wouldn't have to do that. One HC server would be just fine and would likely see a stable population over time.
Signed!

DDO Gaming

// Make permanent Hardcore server! //

So...why is this a better option than adding R11 which is onelife only?

Additionally an R11 option doesn't impact current guild populations BUT recall...one life only so you'll be deleting your character upon death.

In fact adding R11 requires almost zero re-engineering, just a redirect to the "death swimmingpool" upon death. Furthemore whatever motivations gamers have for playing HC server (eg HC favor) can be integrated into R11 thus improving risk/reward

Last edited:

Guntango

// Make permanent Hardcore server! //

So...why is this a better option than adding R11 which is onelife only?

Additionally an R11 option doesn't impact current guild populations BUT recall...one life only so you'll be deleting your character upon death.

In fact adding R11 requires almost zero re-engineering, just a redirect to the "death swimmingpool" upon death. Furthemore whatever motivations gamers have for playing HC server (eg HC favor) can be integrated into R11 thus improving risk/reward

No one would play this. I’ve got years of development in a toon that could be deleted because of lag? If you love this idea, you could just delete your toons and start over randomly without a single update by SSG. Call it your own personal R11.

Onyxia2016

As of now we have two threads that directly oppose each other

Calling for a permanent HC server
Calling for server merges to boost low populations.

A permanent HC server does not address server population issues and in fact would further reduce already low populations on other servers.
It also only benefits a niche segment of the current game population. I can say this with confidence based on the DDO Audit data which shows that HC server population is not overwhelmingly high compared to others despite its population being a collection from all other servers. It spikes at the start and quickly falls off. This shows that the vast majority of player either do not run HC or jump on at the start of the season and then drop out shortly after.

How does having it be permanent help to address the current issues facing DDO?

The Narc

It is possible that a hardcore permanent server could be a place where game population could actually grow, a place where new people that join the game would be in a place where in general all players would be running at a relatively low past lives and mostly low reaper points, and couod see a strong growing community.

Again its just possible that this is the way it could play out, it could totally not work, thats why i believe there should be atleast a trial go of it for maybe a six month period.

Will it hurt the other server populations yes but most of the players that would go to this server want nothing to do with end game high skull questing/raiding or min/maxing all gear slots. Populations mean nothing if they are all fragmented in so many different faucets of the game. Basically they have tried to bring together all the end game raiders by doing the orien free transfer, it seems to have worked for the most part. I dont see why they couldnt try and bring a portion if playstyles together on a hardcore server not reltaed to a hardcore event.