Make permanent Hardcore server!

Unk

If people think a Hardcore server will succeed why aren’t Permadeath Guild succeeding?

Onyxia2016

I see nothing wrong with trying it. That would answer this question once and for all.
In fact they could just let the current season run until April.

I can say that the two month it normally runs is not looking good for a longer 6 month run.
The current season population dropped below that of Orien between Jan 13th and 20th with 3 1/2 weeks to go.
If the populated had stayed high, up to the end I would have more hope that a longer season/server run would work out.
This same model repeats for the past five seasons.

I was surprised this season dropped like it has in the past. Would have expected it to have more players running out the clock, knowing there is not going to be a HC season in 2024.

Onyxia2016

If people think a Hardcore server will succeed why aren’t Permadeath Guild succeeding?
I am not a member of the perma-death guild but know a few folk that were. They explained it as a last ditch effort to have fun. They were getting bored. Sadly none of them are active anymore. Still keep in contact with a couple of them. I try to get them to start playing again but so far no luck.

The Narc

I am not a member of the perma-death guild but know a few folk that were. They explained it as a last ditch effort to have fun. They were getting bored. Sadly none of them are active anymore. Still keep in contact with a couple of them. I try to get them to start playing again but so far no luck.
I am a member of multiple permadeath guilds going as far back as the original permadeath guild Sublime on the xoriat server, and i can tell you the some of biggest failings of permadeath guilds are rulesets and concerns of cheating or of course the number one is death exceptions/rule changing for death exceptions.

I will try and cover this in short:

Rulesets have always been a challenge for permadeath guilds because they want to limit loot to try and control monty haul/power creep, they also want to limit pay to win, buffs available and challenge level of quests to be run note: the hard part for a hardcore permanent server is that alot of these issues cant be meet by SSG because they would be handicapping their income stream.

A hardcore server does immediately cover the issue of concerns for cheating, dead is dead, and i fully support this result from having a hardcore server, as a matter of fact i feel it is likely that there would be a small handful of permadeathers that wouldnt go to the server because it would steal that ability from them.

And finally as for exceptions/rule changing, i can specifically speak of a recent example in a permadeath guild where members were wiped in a raid and felt they all deserved a new rule to make an exception as to why they all shouldnt be dead, note this wasnt because of some lengthy lag spike it was a legitimate death and should have been the end of their toons.

Hobestly the most common thing inhear from players who say they dont think permadeath guilds are legit, is the statement “how do you know people arent cheating” and the only answer to that is “you dont”. But with a permanent server you could make evry thing legit and maybe there would be a large population interested in getting that origibal feeling of ddo back and not slogging thru past lives or maxing out gear sets.

DDO Gaming

No one would play this. I’ve got years of development in a toon that could be deleted because of lag? If you love this idea, you could just delete your toons and start over randomly without a single update by SSG. Call it your own personal R11.
Hmm or...a more complex re-engineering solution would be to add a hardcore checkbox to every quest entry dialog. anyone checking the H/C checkbox knows this is a "one life" experience

DDO Gaming

A checkbox at first life character creation would be better!
from an engineering perspective that's a more complex solution because it requires flagging such characters as hardcore THEN...every quest the gamer chooses would need to additionally check whether the character is hardcore.

Furthermore...how is the quest supposed to deal with situations inwhich there is a mixed team of hardcore and non-hardcore characters? or...a hardcore characater decides to join an LFM non-hardcore quest?

Hence a checkbox on quest entry dialogbox is the simpler solution.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I would say no. I'm a fan of HC, but I would prefer to see more resources put towards the core of the game where it is needed with less distractions. Sad to see no HC in 2024 though!

The Narc

from an engineering perspective that's a more complex solution because it requires flagging such characters as hardcore THEN...every quest the gamer chooses would need to additionally check whether the character is hardcore.

Furthermore...how is the quest supposed to deal with situations inwhich there is a mixed team of hardcore and non-hardcore characters? or...a hardcore characater decides to join an LFM non-hardcore quest?

Hence a checkbox on quest entry dialogbox is the simpler solution.
Because hardcore characters shouldnt be running with non hardcore characters, simple otherwise you would see even more cheesier use of multiboxing!!

DDO Gaming

Because hardcore characters shouldnt be running with non hardcore characters, simple otherwise you would see even more cheesier use of multiboxing!!
By offering a hardcore checkbox, if such quests are also LFMed, gamers can decide whether they want to join...since the tab will also display such quests as hardcore

Sturmbb

One of the main reasons i play HC is for the grouping aspect. If they created an option on Live to play HC, you would be diluting the HC playerbase from one server down to 8 Servers. So you would be directly impacting the possibility of finding players to group with.

I think keeping Hardcore on one server is a must.

Weaponalpha

They could just add a Hardcore toon option. At character creation you choose Hardcore and from then on that toon is considered HC. You can level n tr as you wish. Toon is locked out of shared bank. Leader boards and various "look at my awesomeness" cosmetics could be gained n such. Otherwise just exists like every other toon until killed then is just instantly deleted.

Razordoll

no thank you. just tanking the population for every season, so temporary seasons can exist, seems like a bad idea overall & I hope they do away with it completely.

like just add quality events & content to the game that everyone can enjoy & stop trying to split the population.

The Narc

no thank you. just tanking the population for every season, so temporary seasons can exist, seems like a bad idea overall & I hope they do away with it completely.

like just add quality events & content to the game that everyone can enjoy & stop trying to split the population.
Lol you cant split an already split population, people that want a hardcore server dont care about grouping with end gamers nor grinding out all the past lives to run the same old content on R10. They want to run with like minded players that see death as a bad thing and respect that, i hazard a guess that if they actually did a permanent non-reward/leaderboard hardcore server it would contend with the activity of orien. So you would have two main servers to play on with lots of population, playing two different playstyles filled with like minded players.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I would be for permadeath mode: if the character dies, it is over; however, all xp is doubled or something like that. An option you select at level 1 and ends at cap or level 20, your choice to repeat; a great way to try to have a new toon get a few PLs fast and have fun risking everything. It would be stupid to do on a vet toon obviously

Br4d

I am a member of multiple permadeath guilds going as far back as the original permadeath guild Sublime on the xoriat server, and i can tell you the some of biggest failings of permadeath guilds are rulesets and concerns of cheating or of course the number one is death exceptions/rule changing for death exceptions.

I will try and cover this in short:

Rulesets have always been a challenge for permadeath guilds because they want to limit loot to try and control monty haul/power creep, they also want to limit pay to win, buffs available and challenge level of quests to be run note: the hard part for a hardcore permanent server is that alot of these issues cant be meet by SSG because they would be handicapping their income stream.

A hardcore server does immediately cover the issue of concerns for cheating, dead is dead, and i fully support this result from having a hardcore server, as a matter of fact i feel it is likely that there would be a small handful of permadeathers that wouldnt go to the server because it would steal that ability from them.

And finally as for exceptions/rule changing, i can specifically speak of a recent example in a permadeath guild where members were wiped in a raid and felt they all deserved a new rule to make an exception as to why they all shouldnt be dead, note this wasnt because of some lengthy lag spike it was a legitimate death and should have been the end of their toons.

Hobestly the most common thing inhear from players who say they dont think permadeath guilds are legit, is the statement “how do you know people arent cheating” and the only answer to that is “you dont”. But with a permanent server you could make evry thing legit and maybe there would be a large population interested in getting that origibal feeling of ddo back and not slogging thru past lives or maxing out gear sets.

The reason HC worked in WoW before official release was that various add-ons created the HC effect of not being able to resurrect among other things.

The reason HC works in DDO is that resurrection is not possible except under exceptional rulesets (new life at 8/16/etc.)

You'll never get a HC system to work when it relies on the honor system because frankly a lot of game players are not honorable.

The Narc

The reason HC worked in WoW before official release was that various add-ons created the HC effect of not being able to resurrect among other things.

The reason HC works in DDO is that resurrection is not possible except under exceptional rulesets (new life at 8/16/etc.)

You'll never get a HC system to work when it relies on the honor system because frankly a lot of game players are not honorable.
And this would be the one most single reason why a permanent hardcore server would be welcome!!

Jontheknight

Summoner Expert
Do I really need to explain... lol

Worth a shot.

Love yall,
GOD bless
This post reminds me of my post, I think it's an excellent idea; there's no real reason NOT to add a checkbox on character creation that makes a toon as hardcore; or just straight up add a hardcore server for folks who want to play on it. I don't get why people would be so against an idea that doesn't truly hurt anything. Imagine this discussion before hardcore league ever existed most of you would be arguing the exact same thing but DDO devs took a dive at something great and people loved it.

The Narc

protip: delete your toon everytime you die = now you have permanent hardcore.
Protip: we have mentioned how there are people that lack the honor to do that, having an actual server that enforces it is the actual draw to the server.

Second protip: when it happens you stay on your server and we will all stay on ours.