Settle an argument

Muggins

My group was running through Barovia and an argument started because players were taking too long searching each of the gold piles in Castle Ravenloft. Half of my group said it was a waste of time since only gems and coins drop while the other half of the group said they had (at least heard) that tomes & loot can be found (albeit 1% chance or less). Does ANYONE have a screenshot showing a quality item found in a gold pile, be it Haunted Halls, the Black Loch, or wherever gold piles go to die?

Kyrr

My group was running through Barovia and an argument started because players were taking too long searching each of the gold piles in Castle Ravenloft. Half of my group said it was a waste of time since only gems and coins drop while the other half of the group said they had (at least heard) that tomes & loot can be found (albeit 1% chance or less). Does ANYONE have a screenshot showing a quality item found in a gold pile, be it Haunted Halls, the Black Loch, or wherever gold piles go to die?
I think people should play how they want to.

Here's my opinion on the matter, it takes roughly 3 seconds to search a gold pile that's on the path to complete the quest. 3 seconds isn't really a make or break. It would be the same chance of a regular breakable if anything, but I've found more tomes and pots dropping from breakables more than searching gold piles, those have always just lead to gold/platinum pieces and gems/jewels and I've been playing this game for 15 years.

Even more so, most of my characters are relatively close to platinum cap, so those are avoided searching regardless. I prefer to finish a quest faster than sniffing flowers personally, unless it's the first playthrough.

Lacci

Some older gold piled can drop augments. Haven't ever seen a tome personally. Modern gold piles are junk unfortunately.
Yeah, I think I´ve got an augment once from a gold pile (I think that was in Gianthold TOR), but never a tome or anything really worthwile.
But I also wouldn´t mind other players taking their chances, I´m usually not that much in a hurry.

Driaza

Not seen any and i never take the time to loot

That being said let them loot and you move on to the next quest if you cannot wait the 3-5 secs per pile :)

Looks like two different play styles

Or combination of new and old players

New players tend to take their time with things as they should

Old players tend to zerg past everything for the literal 2000+ time

Smokewolf

My regular group insists on the same thing. Though, I've never seen anything come from doing it. Strange that afterwards they gripe about being short on time, to which I have no words...

Zavina

Ms Stabby Stabby
I ran Haunted Halls for years with my TR partner; in fact, we purchased our guild's kraken with proceeds from the sales of Haunted Halls items back in 2015, we ran that quest so much. My TR partner IS a gold pile scavenger, even to this day - I don't bother but she loves it.

She's never encountered an actual tome to drop from those gold piles. She has picked up the odd tome or two from a breakable, and has called me back from stabbing up some trash to point at what's on the floor, in the remnants of the breakable.. and say "look Z, a tome!". We was in Black Loch last week, and again she's beating on the door of the gold room saying "lemme in". The only thing she's found in those piles that was extraordinary, was augments and a portable hole. I think the most recent was a jump augment.

PersonMan

I ran Haunted Halls for years with my TR partner; in fact, we purchased our guild's kraken with proceeds from the sales of Haunted Halls items back in 2015, we ran that quest so much. My TR partner IS a gold pile scavenger, even to this day - I don't bother but she loves it.

She's never encountered an actual tome to drop from those gold piles. She has picked up the odd tome or two from a breakable, and has called me back from stabbing up some trash to point at what's on the floor, in the remnants of the breakable.. and say "look Z, a tome!". We was in Black Loch last week, and again she's beating on the door of the gold room saying "lemme in". The only thing she's found in those piles that was extraordinary, was augments and a portable hole. I think the most recent was a jump augment.
Eidolons really did sell for a ton of shards, Golem's Heart also when that came out.

droid327

Its a little more complicated than that...

There's two kinds of gold piles

- One that can only drop gold/gems, and that gold scales with the level of the quest

- One that can drop gold/gems and, rarely, other items like Augments. These piles always scale to low level

So yes, you can get "good stuff" occasionally, but it'll always be in the L1-4 drop bracket, and if a gold pile gives you more than ~100-200 gold, its the wrong kind. IMO neither of them are worth the time since they're both limited in one way or the other.

Mokune

Selling Haunted Halls loot paid for most of Pandora's Box Kraken as well...

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I've seen skull/stat tome fell out of a breakable.
I've sen Portable Hole fell out of a breakable.
Someone mentioned pulled a cleanser card out of a gold pile (maybe not true).
Augment can fell out of a gold pile.

But this can happen once in every 10 years/player.

But that also true if you dont search, you wont find.

Mornyngstar

I do not have a screen shot of it but I have pulled a tome from a gold pile. I hit every single one (time dependant) but I also hit every collectable (even going out of the way to do so) because I started the game and loved the Cannith Crafting System and have kept up with it over the years.

I was also in a group when a person pulled a tome out of the Black Loch gold piles. I can't remember if it was Heroic/Epic.

Recently I have been making sure to hit every single chest since Cards of Curse Cleansing have been added to the loot table and have pulled 3. First was the rare located top of Mount Reysalon in Reaver's Reach. The second unfortunately I don't remember but the Third was the Fire Giant chest in Stealer of Souls. Note that it was not the same toon that got the first and third. I was helping run off favor for a friend with the third drop.

Aelonwy

Its a little more complicated than that...

There's two kinds of gold piles

- One that can only drop gold/gems, and that gold scales with the level of the quest

- One that can drop gold/gems and, rarely, other items like Augments. These piles always scale to low level

So yes, you can get "good stuff" occasionally, but it'll always be in the L1-4 drop bracket, and if a gold pile gives you more than ~100-200 gold, its the wrong kind. IMO neither of them are worth the time since they're both limited in one way or the other.
This is slightly inaccurate, although I cannot say for certain where but I did get 2 level 8 skill augments from gold piles in the last month. I do remember getting them on the same day of playing and being pleased because I seldom get skill augments at all. The problem is I rarely stick to one character for more than a week before getting a little bored and choosing another alt for awhile or even just a weekend so its very scattered about which content I have played recently.

So somewhere there are some gold piles keyed to the level 5-8 bracket, at least in regards to augments.

Its definitely true for Tor though; I seldom go through there without getting at least one level 1 (usually diamond stat) augment - never level 4. I have never gotten a portable hole or tome from a gold pile either.

Also I have never once gotten an epic level augment from any gold pile, anywhere in epic content. Sadly, I don't think they change the gold piles' scaling for epic/legendary content except for coin value and sometimes not even that much.

droid327

People argue over an action that takes seconds? Who cares what the reward is? It is a reward they have every right to loot if they want. It sounds like the others are controlling.
Eh counterpoint, every gold pile takes like 3 seconds to search, and there's usually 5-6+ in one place. So it is kind of annoying if you want to recall out and get to the next quest and they're trying to loot every last coin they can - especially since RL piles are the "only gold" kind that wont ever drop augments etc.

AMess

loot the piles if it makes you happy.

as consensus states above, a decade of clicking on piles waiting for others to get to chest and have never found anything exciting.

it's just something to do while you wait.

Blunt Hackett

Eh counterpoint, every gold pile takes like 3 seconds to search, and there's usually 5-6+ in one place. So it is kind of annoying if you want to recall out and get to the next quest and they're trying to loot every last coin they can - especially since RL piles are the "only gold" kind that wont ever drop augments etc.
I get that. But the piles exist for a reason and if that's what someone wants to do they have every right to do so.