Settle an argument

Falkor

Oh yes, that is secondary friendly fire. In HC a few years ago, someone zerged in Lost at Sea, ran around the opening area and pulled all the mobs to the party and then F4'd out. That was fun. Thankfully nobody died.

I'd have rather shot that jerk with arrows.

It'd be great to have actual friendly fire. Hell Divers style. Let's see those fireballs torching people!

Livmo

More outrage over nothing burgers. Let people loot if they want too loot.

I'd like to see friendly fire added to quests. That would solve alot of issues.

I 2nd this motion, but it won't happen. We all know that TD and LS were neutered due to tantrums in the Lobster : ) )

I personally have found augments, tomes and items in breakables and gold piles. Sorry, no screen shots as I never conceived that I would need them. Full disclosure; those occurrences have been EXTREMELY rare. I too think everyone should play the game the way they enjoy it. However, if your guiding mantra is 'XP/minute', or you find yourself admonishing people for 'wasting time', perhaps you are not fully understanding the concept of 'play'.

People that join my groups know that we will be doing most optional objectives(there are a few optional objectives that I only do if someone is chasing an item. think Search and Rescue) and obtaining all the bonuses (conquest, ransack, etc.) that we can. My rule of thumb is that the group leader, or star holder, decides. They decide whether the group will be blowing past everything to get a completion, doing all the optional objectives, breakables and such, or something in between. In point of fact, I play almost daily with a static group (we have a set group time, duration and core players). Even in that group, if I don't hold the star, I do not decide. It should be said that amongst the core players, which is most of the party, there is little, if any, difference in our play styles.

If you don't like the star holder's play style? Don't whine. Don't complain. Don't zerg, or not zerg, in opposition to the party. Just complete the quest in the play style the star holder desires, leave the group politely and find another group. Find people whose play style matches your own. It doesn't take long in a group to determine their play style. It also won't take long for you to develop a library of players whose play styles match your own and with whom you enjoy grouping.

Archaic

Pulled augments from the piles.
The argument is most likely about a buff (loot, xp) burning more than it was about people digging through pilesgold.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I regularly pull Small Eberron Dragonshards from 'piles.' Boils down to play-style, IMHO. I'm old-skool n gather all the trash-to-plat (n ingredients) I can. And RNG is a fickle beast.

End of argument.

Muggins

My group was running through Barovia and an argument started because players were taking too long searching each of the gold piles in Castle Ravenloft. Half of my group said it was a waste of time since only gems and coins drop while the other half of the group said they had (at least heard) that tomes & loot can be found (albeit 1% chance or less). Does ANYONE have a screenshot showing a quality item found in a gold pile, be it Haunted Halls, the Black Loch, or wherever gold piles go to die?
Ok, so three pages in and no one has shown a screenshot. Just a lot of opinions & theories which was what was being thrown around in my Barovia group and had me feeling the same: "meh, thanks for telling me how you feel about gold piles."

For the people who are saying let players have 3 seconds to loot a gold pile, it's no big deal. That wasn't the case in Castle Ravenloft if you've paid attention to the actual quest.
In A Raven at the Door end fight, there are 2 gold piles next to the end chest. Fine. 6 seconds. Then you drop down to the floor below (1 second) and loot 4 more gold piles. Fine. 12 seconds for those 4. Then you port back to the spider hallway behind the fireplace. 3 seconds. 4 more gold piles by the fireplace. 12 more seconds. 34 total seconds, just half a minute. Big deal if the 3 guys who stay behind move together and do it as one. If not, add a couple few more seconds before last guy ports out.
What's the big deal?
2 things:
1) the next quest in the chain is Mad Tea Party. If you are 34 seconds late coming into Mad Tea Party.... barriers might be up. In our case, the barriers were up. Mobs might spawn that you weren't prepared to have spawn. In our case, the late arrivals were not prepared for the spawns. Red alert because one group is fighting in one section while the other group (behind a barrier they can't get through) is fighting another fight.

2) Because the guy with the star has been zerging since the first Mists quest. We didn't fight the wolves objective in Mists. We didn't stray off optimum path in Death House. We didn't do the optional spider in Oath of Vengeance. We re-entered Invitation to Dinner 2x to get fastest path. The guy with the star made it quite clear it was a zerg.

And suddenly the gold piles were just too much of a lure? I was on the fence as these guys bickered it out and that's why I asked. I'm not on the fence now. No one has posted anything about a gold pile (and you're the best ddo's got, right?) to warrant challenging the guy with the star. I now think it wasn't worth it and that they should have apologized for letting greed over-ride good manners or at least communicating that they were going to slack for a moment (like when you say "have to sell", "need guild ship buffs"). Just good manners.

erethizon1

I have definitely gotten augments before (in addition to gems and spell scrolls), but not sure about tomes (never noticed if I did).

The important thing is that looting piles of gold is FUN! No one should be denied the rare fun we get from looting gold piles (they are not that common in the game). If someone shows up to the next quest 1 minute late because they were looting gold piles, good for them. The rest of the party doesn't have to wait for them to get started if they are in that much of a rush. I know I sometimes skip the gold piles if I am the leader of a group and I know people will be waiting for me at the next quest, but I do like looting them whenever I can.

erethizon1

Ok, so three pages in and no one has shown a screenshot. Just a lot of opinions & theories which was what was being thrown around in my Barovia group and had me feeling the same: "meh, thanks for telling me how you feel about gold piles."
The problem with a screenshot is it requires us to be ready with the screenshot button every time we loot a gold pile and none of us ever cared enough to document it to do that. Gold piles are uncommon so it would take some time waiting on that button to get the documented evidence you are looking for (because the evidence disappears from the screen quite quickly). It definitely happens in older gold piles, but some piles may have no chance of dropping them.

Pineapple

In A Raven at the Door end fight, there are 2 gold piles next to the end chest. Fine. 6 seconds. Then you drop down to the floor below (1 second) and loot 4 more gold piles. Fine. 12 seconds for those 4. Then you port back to the spider hallway behind the fireplace. 3 seconds. 4 more gold piles by the fireplace. 12 more seconds. 34 total seconds, just half a minute. Big deal if the 3 guys who stay behind move together and do it as one. If not, add a couple few more seconds before last guy ports out.

Regarding lack of screen shots of gold piles, how often do you screenshot your loot? I don't think I've ever taken screenshots of any +8 tomes or mythic & reaper gear I've got. The only thing I would is a card of curse cleansing.

erethizon1

I now think it wasn't worth it and that they should have apologized for letting greed over-ride good manners or at least communicating that they were going to slack for a moment (like when you say "have to sell", "need guild ship buffs"). Just good manners.
They didn't slack. They were playing the game as intended. I realize some weirdos don't loot chests because they know they won't get anything good from them (I'm sure you have encountered them too), but that doesn't make chest looters "slackers." It makes gold pile skippers people that are too far along in their development to care about basic loot.

What is good manners is not making an issue out of looting what was put there to be looted. It is not picking a battle that didn't need to be picked in the first place. Here's a novel idea. Wait for your team to all be ready to proceed before actually proceeding. Having the star doesn't make a person some sort of tyrant-king that gets to order people around. People like that need to grow some self-awareness and recognize their own selfishness instead of trying to project it on to others, or consider soloing because that is the only way they will ever get to control exactly how things go.

PersonMan

Having the star doesn't make a person some sort of tyrant-king that gets to order people around.
BVBJ96t.png

And here I thought she was supreme overlord; she made me do such awful things...

SpartanKiller13

I have a guildy with some screenshots of pulling a tome from a gold pile, but even still I don't loot them lol. I can see if I can find them if you want, but that's the one instance across my DDO career that I've heard of it happening.

But like even with a mega-zerg party you have plenty of time to get into the next quest before they finish, and if you're worried just load up on like sprint boost/wing/tumble stuff to catch up better; the frontrunners have to open all the doors/levers etc so you catch up pretty fast.

As a fairly fast player (80% zerg?) I have zero issues with someone looting gold piles lol. If you pike in a quest with a gather mechanic we'll have words, but otherwise whenever I have a LFM up I'm happy with whatever you bring to the party, even if that's only a 1% buddy bonus (from VIP).

GrizzlyOso

as long as I can just keep going I don’t care. If they want me to wait then they’re dictating how I’m playing, and we’ll probably stop playing together. Which is fine .

The only quests I care what someone is up to are gather quests, even your example of tea party, meh - aggro whatever you want. The higher the dungeon alert the faster mobs run to you to group up.

Bjond

So, as to weird loot mechanics: my guild has a tradition of /dancing with Hawthorn at the end of the Dryad Raid. So, once in a PUG Fey Raid, I got the entire raid to /dance "because it will spawn a TWISTED chest!"

Low and behold, a twisted chest spawned. Out of such trolls are loot myths born.

cdbd3rd

So, as to weird loot mechanics: my guild has a tradition of /dancing with Hawthorn at the end of the Dryad Raid. So, once in a PUG Fey Raid, I got the entire raid to /dance "because it will spawn a TWISTED chest!"

Low and behold, a twisted chest spawned. Out of such trolls are loot myths born.

Geez, you probably don't even believe that /Hugging a chest increases the drop chances.