Smaller, more affordable Support Packs Please?

Aelonwy

As suggested by FreetoPlayDDO, it might be more beneficial to create smaller more affordable Support Packs desirable by a wider range of players. I'd like to brainstorm.

$10 Pack
One cosmetic - suggest color variation of Traveler's Outfit, perhaps dark blue? Maybe launder the female's blouse?
One low level Adventure Pack - Ex. Tangleroot Gorge (Could use an update but still good)
One Permanent Hireling - suggest 5th level cleric or FvS, any

$25 Pack (for newer players)
Shared Bank Initial Purchase
Shared Crafting Storage Initial Purchase
One Fast Mount - suggest regular horse, doesn't matter color its for player convenience not for showing off.
Just items absolutely necessary to comfortably enjoy the game.

$30 Pack (Intermediate and Nostalgia motivated players)
Delera's + Threnal Pack (Threnal desperately needs update preferably to similar epic level usage as Delera's)
Jeets Permanent Rogue Hireling level 10
Cosmetic Voice D20 Orb
Cosmetic D&D themed Mantle suggest Dragon Ampersand Symbol

Other ideas?

Upvote 17

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I am no fan of mixed packs with cosmetics and nice items. Please keep in mind that some or maybe even a lot don't care for cosmetics and don't want to spend money on them. But because there is 1 item in that pack that is OP like a teleport item, they need to buy all the other crap. The consequence is cosmetics are getting despised by these kind of players.

Make a base pack and if you want cosmetics, get the bonus items, see Borderlands Bonus Items.

Cheers,
Titus

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It'd be nice if they simply brought back the Starter Pack so people can get Elieri off an inital cash purchase. It's been gone since they made a bunch of the races/classes f2p (which overlapped with stuff offered in the old pack). You'd think bringing it back with Aasimar in the pack would've been a simple straightfoward thing but nope, all this time later and still no pack for sale despite various new players coming in that might buy it.

Spook

The problem with bundles and SSGs pricing is that SSG price bundles as if everything is equally valuable to everyone. What they should do is make the bundles such good value that even if you dont want everything it is still worth buying.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I definitely think smaller and more affordable packs would be good. I'm not terribly compelled to buy cosmetics though. Most of the cosmetic items I have bought had some side-benefit to them (hoods with a clicky as an example). Form is nice but function (to me) is nicer.

Memnir

Sadly, I think SSG's Veruca Salt-ism will win out over pragmatism.

I very much think that more moderately priced packs with decent-to-meaningful items would make them far more money than putting out wallet-busters containing a lot of filler; but what do I know? Not my circus, not my monkeys. Well, beyond the fact that I'm a monkey who won't shell out for just anything anymore. SSG lost that privilege with the overpriced garbage that was the Season Pass. Any monies I spend on DDO will be because it's a good value for the asking price, proven in advance (sole judge on that is me, but again - what do I know?).

This monkey is running free!
2QM7uwG.gif

Last edited:

Aelonwy

The problem with bundles and SSGs pricing is that SSG price bundles as if everything is equally valuable to everyone. What they should do is make the bundles such good value that even if you dont want everything it is still worth buying.

Absolutely.

I feel like they did it very well with the Keep on the Borderlands Bonus Pack : suite of cosmetics (helm, cloak. armor, shield, sword), steed, and a bag for 2995 pts, or the White Plume Mountain Bonus Pack : suite of cosmetics (helm, cloak, armor), pet, enhancement tree, and sentient 1000 XPx5 for 1495pts.

We just need more variety in these bonus packs but also for them to have a decent value for the points spent. This latest one just wasn't worth it to me but I could create themed bonus packs all day.

How about...
Feywild Bonus Pack 25$
Cosmetic Fairy Pet (so you could have it and the Feydark Familiar Fairy at the same time)
Or Fairydragon pet (just change pseudodragon to have fairy wings)
Different Feywild Fairy Weapon Aura (Make it pink)
A Butterfly Cosmetic Crown where the butterflies are Violet, Blue and Pink
Phantom Steed but with Violet Mane and Tail
Feydark Illusionist tree for ppl that don't already have it.

Too feminine? I'd get one for me and one for my daughter right quick, and we already have the tree.

How about...
Ravenloft Bonus Pack $30
Shadow Steed a semitransparent and smokey black steed with glowing red eyes
Thunderforged Weapon Aura (rename it if you like but essentially that visual effect)
Cosmetic Cloak of Shadows (Tattered semi-transparent dark cloak with Thunderforged smoke effect)
Shadow cosmetic pet like the undead mob.

Special Edition of the above Bonus Pack could be 50$ but could also include a Bottle of Mist for the people that missed out on that purchase.

Aelonwy

I want this! I'm not picky about what it is. It could be a mount, pet, hireling or boss monster (basically a dragon sized version with rainbow glitter breath weapon please), but it should really be in the game! :love:
134xh4.jpg

I don't know if they can do that with the WotC license but as a joke feywild boss I wouldn't complain. I would give it rainbow swallowtail wings to match the fur though. Also I'd make defeating the momma boss not lethal, maybe defeating the encounter would be more something like finding food or a toy to pacify her and one of the possible rewards a kitten cosmetic pet. Actually with the Tresym creature as a base this shouldn't be impossible for a Feywild variety.

Ellisaria

Absolutely.

I feel like they did it very well with the Keep on the Borderlands Bonus Pack : suite of cosmetics (helm, cloak. armor, shield, sword), steed, and a bag for 2995 pts, or the White Plume Mountain Bonus Pack : suite of cosmetics (helm, cloak, armor), pet, enhancement tree, and sentient 1000 XPx5 for 1495pts.

We just need more variety in these bonus packs but also for them to have a decent value for the points spent. This latest one just wasn't worth it to me but I could create themed bonus packs all day.

How about...
Feywild Bonus Pack 25$
Cosmetic Fairy Pet (so you could have it and the Feydark Familiar Fairy at the same time)
Or Fairydragon pet (just change pseudodragon to have fairy wings)
Different Feywild Fairy Weapon Aura (Make it pink)
A Butterfly Cosmetic Crown where the butterflies are Violet, Blue and Pink
Phantom Steed but with Violet Mane and Tail
Feydark Illusionist tree for ppl that don't already have it.

Too feminine? I'd get one for me and one for my daughter right quick, and we already have the tree.

How about...
Ravenloft Bonus Pack $30
Shadow Steed a semitransparent and smokey black steed with glowing red eyes
Thunderforged Weapon Aura (rename it if you like but essentially that visual effect)
Cosmetic Cloak of Shadows (Tattered semi-transparent dark cloak with Thunderforged smoke effect)
Shadow cosmetic pet like the undead mob.

Special Edition of the above Bonus Pack could be 50$ but could also include a Bottle of Mist for the people that missed out on that purchase.
You had me at "Fairydragon" :love:

Aelonwy

Cannith Support Pack 30$
Secrets of the Artificiers Adv pack
Ancient Iron Defender Cosmetic Pet (with the sea green lines)
Cyan Cannith Robe or Heavy Armor cosmetic (Bring it back from the BTI cosmetic trash bin)
Lvl 18 Talbron Tewn Permanent Hireling

Vox

I think those prices are a bit too steep.

Consider expansions are ~2500 points ($25usd?), there just is not much of an incentive. We've already had a few rounds of quest codes so including the packs seems to make no sense.

How about:
$15 - player housing instance (with a very basic world builder so we can place/re-arrange stuff)
+$ for add on items, cosmetics, unique crafting forges (extra CC/LGS/Dino/Risa/etc effects)
+$ for add on role play stuff (fishing/farming/mining - fuel new crafting options with gathered resources)
+$ for vassels to automate tasks
+$ for housing themes (underdark/xoriat/etc)

Potential for slayer/explorer/rare stuff via keep defense, influence via favour for more lore/bonuses/buffs/access to secret quest instances etc

Aelonwy

Including the packs is for people that didn't get the quest codes.

Cosmetics take work, they have value. They should not be priced as high as an entire expansion though like the most recent offer.

Housing will likely take an extreme amount of work and will be priced at least as high as regular storage if NOT significantly higher.

Including things like permanent hires, and teleports also add significant value IMHO.

Xoriat Support Pack $30
Harbinger of Madness, Reign of Madness, Heart of Madness Adv Packs
with access to Madness heroic Saga or if updating all packs with epic/legendary quests also an epic/legendary saga
Xoriat Style Armor (with moving eyeballs)
Xoriat Style Helm (with more moving eyeballs)
Xoriat Style Shield or Orb (with one big moving beholder-type eyeball)

Should all color co-ordinate well with existing xoriat-style named items Four Eyes Goggles/Belysharra's Cleansed Scepter/Glorious Obscenity Rune Arm

And how about something completely different, how about a Tenser's Floating Disc Mount(?) where players climb on and simply use whatever seated position they regularly have with /sit. Zoom through the city in comfort. Not a lot of art work necessary in a transparent colored disc of magic.

EDIT: I posted these photoshopped cosmetic ideas up years and years ago to the old forums but here's a good place for inspiration.
fHnCEbl.jpg

cIXi6HC.jpg

I'm sure the art devs can make so much better, these were just recolored versions of in-game armor with added eyeballs.

Last edited:

Aelonwy

Another item that would be kinda neat would be a warforged or mechanical (iron defender) type steed.
Yep I remember that being mentioned quite often on the old forums.

I though about putting it in the Cannith Bonus Pack but that would be a lot of new art work, not necessarily new animations but a very intricate and detailed mechanical steed is more appropriate for an expansion bundle. I wonder if we'll ever be visiting the Mournlands in an expansion because I could easily see that being a Mournlands steed.

Aelonwy

Okay how about this:

$30 Demon Sands Bonus Bundle
Demon Sands Adventure Pack with Wilderness Zone updated to be epic levels 20 to 25
Flying Carpet Cosmetic Mount
Djinn Sorcerer Permanent Hireling Level 10 or 20?
Classic I Dream of Genie type cosmetic on females but looks like a bare chested loose Aladdin style pants for males maybe with a long open robe like the guys wore in Brendan Frasier's The Mummy.