Upcoming game update 66.0.2

Cordovan

Community Manager
We are working on a game update for later this week to address a technical issue causing degraded game performance over time. This issue manifests in a frame rate that lowers until the game client is closed and reopened. We will have more information on timing as soon as we can.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Ever since U66 landed I have noticed an impactful graphical bug, and I'd like to know if it's related to the FPS issue or if it's something else entirely:

The looks of other players' models (and of other things, but its easiest to notice on player models) change when I get further away from them compared to how they look when I'm close to them. This is most striking when viewing characters with heavy VFX, such as Fire Sorcs etc (but it doesn't affect just the heavy VFX, every single model is altered noticeably). It's somewhat as if my Draw Distance is set to "medium", and the game lowers the graphical detail of things that are not immediately next to me.

This bug wasn't there prior to U66. For the record I have all my graphics settings maxed out, and the bug exists in both fullscreen and windowed. I didn't change any settings on DDO or my PC.

Below are some screenshots showcasing the issue.

XlLgcXf.jpeg

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Ever since U66 landed I have noticed an impactful graphical bug, and I'd like to know if it's related to the FPS issue or if it's something else entirely:

The looks of other players' models (and of other things, but its easiest to notice on player models) change when I get further away from them compared to how they look when I'm close to them. This is most striking when viewing characters with heavy VFX, such as Fire Sorcs etc (but it doesn't affect just the heavy VFX, every single model is altered noticeably). It's somewhat as if my Draw Distance is set to "medium", and the game lowers the graphical detail of things that are not immediately next to me.

This bug wasn't there prior to U66. For the record I have all my graphics settings maxed out, and the bug exists in both fullscreen and windowed. I didn't change any settings on DDO or my PC.

XlLgcXf.jpeg
I wonder if toggling the mesh option effects that or not?

RoM6E4i.jpeg

Blametroi

I've seen some "jaggies" or pixelation in places I wouldn't expect it. Most recently on a quest giver's overhead icon when it changed from a chalice to the arrow cross symbol.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
We are working on a game update for later this week to address a technical issue causing degraded game performance over time. This issue manifests in a frame rate that lowers until the game client is closed and reopened. We will have more information on timing as soon as we can.
Later this week?!?! Just roll back the last update until you have a proper fix. How hard is that?!?!

Mand O'Lin

That can be very tricky. Unless patches are designed to removable, rolls back like that aren't just a simple fix; could easily devolve into having to roll back to prior server data too and no wants to lose a week's worth of data.
Always possible, but it seems unlikely. Even if this is the case, they could have (should have) done a roll back on Friday... resulting in a 1 day loss? maybe. Given how little I (and others) have been playing because of the performance bug, it would have been a win to lose a single day of progress.

peng

Please consider extending the duration of the anniversary event and bonus days as I and many others have avoided DDO while this framerate/memory leak issue makes playing feel more like work than play.

Cordovan

Community Manager

XlLgcXf.jpeg
I would look into your Player Crowd Size and Texture Cache Settings, see if adjustments make a difference.
Later this week?!?! Just roll back the last update until you have a proper fix. How hard is that?!?!
We generally try to avoid a formal rollback unless absolutely necessary, in part due to it meaning that people who had updated their game clients would most likely need a complete reinstallation. In this case, we immediately began working on a fix, and as soon as it is possible to get it out, it will be.
Please consider extending the duration of the anniversary event and bonus days as I and many others have avoided DDO while this framerate/memory leak issue makes playing feel more like work than play.
We are considering it! We'll have more info on the timing of the Anniversary Event soon.

Jasparius

Roll back all the loot and TRs and everything else as well?

I assume once a build is done and people are playing it is quite hard to roll back specific items. Especially when you dont know which bit of the update caused the issues.

But also, Im wondering how much people are exaggerating the issue. I play with 3 other people and one night we got issues after 13 or 14 dungeons. Last night it was after 6 or 8 dungeons. And by logging out and then back in we were able to fix it.

Mand O'Lin

I assume once a build is done and people are playing it is quite hard to roll back specific items. Especially when you dont know which bit of the update caused the issues.

But also, Im wondering how much people are exaggerating the issue. I play with 3 other people and one night we got issues after 13 or 14 dungeons. Last night it was after 6 or 8 dungeons. And by logging out and then back in we were able to fix it.
No. In my view SSG should roll back the game software to 66.0.0, while leaving character data as is. Take the servers down, "update" the game code to 66.0.0 (call it 66.0.2 if needed to force the client to update) and bring the servers back up.

Jummby

Maybe it depends on what instances you go into or how much your computer can take? I agree that some have it worse than others, exaggeration isn't the issue, it's awful for many people.

I didn't bother trying to play today. Neither did many of our guildies. Having to constantly monitor frames and ram usage so you can restart your client is no fun. So we played other games today.

Coffey

I would look into your Player Crowd Size and Texture Cache Settings, see if adjustments make a difference.
Neither of these suggestions fixed the FPS issue for me.

You're sure there wasn't a graphics driver update, a windows update, a nvidia or amd or intel graphics panel options program update, a reset of those outside game graphics options, etc?
Havent done windows 10 update in 18 mths and updated nvidia video card drivers 6 months ago to play a game that demanded it (COD).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Neither of these suggestions fixed the FPS issue for me.

Havent done windows 10 update in 18 mths and updated nvidia video card drivers 6 months ago to play a game that demanded it (COD).
I don't think Cord's response for those suggestions were anything to do with FPS; pretty sure they were entirely in response to the weird draw distance issue the Blonde was seeing on player's models.

Jasparius

Maybe it depends on what instances you go into or how much your computer can take? I agree that some have it worse than others, exaggeration isn't the issue, it's awful for many people.

I didn't bother trying to play today. Neither did many of our guildies. Having to constantly monitor frames and ram usage so you can restart your client is no fun. So we played other games today.

Why monitor constantly? Why not just play normally and when it feels bad do a relog ?

Focussing is probably making it worse.

Jummby

Why monitor constantly? Why not just play normally and when it feels bad do a relog ?

Focussing is probably making it worse.
Because if your at under 30 fps and don't know it, you can enter the quest than start dropping more than can't move.

Can't win either way really, so we didn't play today.

Frybri73

Maybe the changes they made broke something and they should just undo all the garbage they did. and it is garbage. in fact while theyre at it the should go all the way back to the last point everything worked right and just leave it alone.

Mand O'Lin

Because if your at under 30 fps and don't know it, you can enter the quest than start dropping more than can't move.

Can't win either way really, so we didn't play today.
Same here. Apart from doing the mechanics of a TR, eating XP stones until level 3 and gearing up... nothing. Sitting outside the first quest dreading questing until the game performance issue is resolved.

The Narc

Definitely need to give something to the VIP player base for this utter loss of playability time