Update 63 Preview 1: Deck of Many Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
What I see on forums and discord about the effects those curses not temptating enough to risk to put it on an item I farmed month (for mythic and or reaper bonus on it or mthic bonus and spent 75 reaper fragments on it). If getting the wrong bonus and make any of my cap gear item total useless. NO THANX!
I just skip this whole card/deck thing till there is a better way to chose from.

Last edited:

Suggestion

The Curse of Stone doesn't seem to increase the weight of the item from what I can tell.
Also you don't just sink, but you get dragged to an area (it seems to be the deepest point near where you enter the water) and will have a hard or impossible time moving away. I tested this in the Harbor, Saltmarsh and Tomb of the Shadow Guard.

Lanadazia

i really like this system. it adds some depth to endgame gear, or can power up your favourite TR gear.

we do need a way to overwrite or remove curses. RNG mixed with one-time applying is a death sentence to this nice idea.
even if the curses can be removed or rerolled it will be quite the grind to get the curses you want. but being forced to grind for specific items over and over again cause the wanted curses didn't go on the items you wanted - that'd cripple the system before it got implemented.

Zitaloc

Got this one today while testing
LRl7jKT.png

Ying

5000+ hours played
Weight of Stone is *not* a desirable effect. In any quest with a soar sled or where you need to swim, it reads "You must take this item off".

I don't understand why it's a Fortune bonus, yet it's a deck of curses. These are obviously supposed to be boons. So why not call it a deck of many fortunes?

Grunndi

Lame about the quivers, would have been a reason to use that slot, but would have possibly been a little OP.

What’s the set bonus give?

Still interested to know the time investment needed for a single deck. If it’s significant I’ll prob slap curses on as I go and be fine with whatever minor boost I get. Having to swap off stone items would be annoying, but I deal with plenty of swaps already. The extra hate gen should probably change though as all it does is further punish melees in higher diffs.

My napkin math says the chance of getting just 4 specific curses you want is around 1/1.5million. (4!)/(78^4). And that’s assuming they all appear at the same rate. Ain’t nobody got time to fish for that.

TANUKING

Dev should disclose all effects.

It is possible for a malicious wiki editor to add effects to the wiki that do not exist, and it is quite possible that players will make useless Farms to obtain effects that do not exist.
We, the players, have no way of knowing that a non-existent effect does not exist.

Lotoc

My napkin math says the chance of getting just 4 specific curses you want is around 1/1.5million. (4!)/(78^4). And that’s assuming they all appear at the same rate. Ain’t nobody got time to fish for that.
If SSG weren't adverse to having an ingame economy and these effects could be drawn from the deck as a tradable item rather than applied directly to items at random this is really something people would buy and spend shards on, and probably the most reasonable way to go about implementing such a system as it'd mean fishing through hundreds of decks for an effect you want could be alleviated through trade with other players.

Wini

To me, RNG is awful.

So, a system based on grind+RNG+you cannot remove the unwanted bonus/curse of sink, is a hard pass.
Do we get more bank space to store the hundreds of curse-variation items that we will want to save?

We can encounter two options:

a) Unify all legacy crafting systems into one.
b) Ingredients are not put into inventory, instead they are accounted in another tab, like favor. So you have no business or time to waste with them.

That said, none will happen.

Scrag

This is pretty horrible. I have some really nice gear that is m+r bonus'd (sooo lucky! i dont farm the same item to get the bennies, total luck!) and you are crazy if you think I would risk putting these on that or any other item I have!

This is totally not casual friendly! The risks are too great!

It is cool though, and if I could just keep reapplying curses over and over till I get one I like, then yes, I am game!

SpartanKiller13

Why do I have 411 .ddocp files
So it seems like you want to put it on your one-off loot (that you're only using for one life)? Or like your non-boosted items? Either you get a cool bonus and it's worth slotting, or you don't and you just replace it with a mythic/reaper later?

Or like raid items for frequent raiders, I can just buy another (say) ring of acid if I get a bad bonus. Huh.

What a weird system.

-----

I do kinda like that you can't just reroll until you have 100% BiS "curses" on every item, but it does seem annoying to have to bank more items as you get copies with different "curses" on each.

Scrag

I do kinda like that you can't just reroll until you have 100% BiS "curses" on every item, but it does seem annoying to have to bank more items as you get copies with different "curses" on each.
Alex, can I have Less Bank and Inventory Space for $100 please!

Shear-buckler

I am just going to put it out there that the new season for Diablo 4 just dropped and a lot of the issues has been fixed and it has been very well recieved. Something to do while waiting for U64.

Yutang75

I’m ok with it being one shot permanent as I won’t be using it on any valuable endgame tweaked gear (because I don’t have any). However, I absolutely would throw it on my favourite level 4/15 items, where I can just farm another if I get something too bad.

I like the risk-reward idea here. You could use it on your best gear to squeeze out even more power, but at the risk of getting something detrimental.
It’ll be a decision you make knowing the consequences if you get unlucky.

I’m cool with the idea of there being other, more expensive, decks that restrict the possible curses. That way you can make a trade off between more curses of random flavours or fewer curses that are more likely to help you. I would say these decks should pull from at least two “pools”; eg decks for: melee+spell, defensive+ranged, tactics+melee, ranged+skills, etc, etc. They can have special names like deck of the battlemage, warrior, priest, etc.

As others have mentioned a lot of the so called “curses” are positive only, it would be more interesting if the “greater” curses had penalties (randomly selected or static) associated with their greater power. The minor curses may have little to no penalty.

Epitome

EDIT: I understand now this likely works like the changestone, sadly.

Unless I'm understanding this wrong (and I messed with this on Lama), it seems like people are misunderstanding some of the RNG aspects.
Now crunching the 4 types of 12 stacked each card forms a RNG Curse Buff that looks like a crate. So there is the RNG.

But you can read what this curse-like buff does from your inventory, and elect whether or not to apply it to any particular item (even though on Lama it is bugged and it is not applying the said curse from the crunched deck - at least I assume this is a bug).

So you won't necessarily throw the wrong curse on an item (again, assuming that it is bugged, which I think it is, on Lama).
My only complaint on the system is when we get to gear juggling to optimize like we always wish to do, we can strip off a no-longer desired curse from an item. If we want a new one, we need to farm the new base item - this layer with reaper frag crafting (which is also a system that needs revision) would be a nightmare. Plus random mythic bonuses as ppl have pointed out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.