What is the plan for players with more than 156 reaper points?

bleach

Some people (that are done with a character) want an excuse to use that character for day to day play vs being routed onto an alt. If SSG let any TR/ER I did on my total completionist main be assignable to an alt, that'd be a big win for me; I could play my main and still have a way to pass along progression.

That's a good idea. I would like to see it. But....It ain't happening, cuz many people would use their main to get past lifes on their alts quicker than they could if playing said alt. They will never allow for that

bleach

I enjoy the game and have fun playing with people I like; so much so that I've gotten all the past lives on my main and well over 156 reaper points while having fun

That's cool. Would you have enjoyed it as much, or at all, without the peps you like to run with, probs not. And that's the point. I don't think the game needs more grind systems, there are enough already, probably too many. I think some peps just need some friends, that's it. You can have fun without any reward to chase. I do get tho that there are some who like to grind just for the sake of it and some who are only interested in gain more power, I respect it but I just don't get why

bleach

I've already done it five times. I don't want a 6th favorite toon.

I was answering to the guy who said he likes to grind just for the sake of it, if you don't have fun endlessly grinding the same content over and over that was not meant for you. But then it makes even less sense to ask for more stuff to grind or rewards to chase ;)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
That's cool. Would you have enjoyed it as much, or at all, without the peps you like to run with, probs not. And that's the point. I don't think the game needs more grind systems, there are enough already, probably too many. I think some peps just need some friends, that's it. You can have fun without any reward to chase. I do get tho that there are some who like to grind just for the sake of it and some who are only interested in gain more power, I respect it but I just don't get why
If there aren't things to do in a game, people play other games between expansions; and some never come back. That's been the nature of any MMO I've played over the years. DDO isn't any different in that regard. DDO just offers a lot of things to do (past lives) vs hitting a wall fast in some other games within a few weeks/months of latest content. It's hard to play with friends if they aren't around; people bail from DDO for breaks or quit for all sorts of reasons too, like lag deaths on HC (or live), lack of content at pace they want (SSG can never win this war as people consume content way faster than anyone could release it), etc.

bleach

If there aren't things to do in a game

There are plenty of things to do, even when there are no more rewards to chase if you have a group of ppl who genuinely enjoy running with you and who you enjoy runing with. Except for peps who only care about gaining more power, those will bail on you the moment there's no carrot to chase. I guess it all depends of who you surroud yourself with

voenixa121

If there aren't things to do in a game, people play other games between expansions; and some never come back. That's been the nature of any MMO I've played over the years. DDO isn't any different in that regard. DDO just offers a lot of things to do (past lives) vs hitting a wall fast in some other games within a few weeks/months of latest content. It's hard to play with friends if they aren't around; people bail from DDO for breaks or quit for all sorts of reasons too, like lag deaths on HC (or live), lack of content at pace they want (SSG can never win this war as people consume content way faster than anyone could release it), etc.
DDO also has absolutely no catch up mechanism. There is a huge gap between those that have grinded all those systems for 15 years straight and those that have not. And more systems will just make that gap larger. If there is going to be a new grind, then everyone should be able to start it at the same level.
Right now having to grind all those past lives and racial points and reaper points and fate points and filigree slots and dino bones and threads of fate etc. etc. is just as much a wall.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
DDO also has absolutely no catch up mechanism. There is a huge gap between those that have grinded all those systems for 15 years straight and those that have not. And more systems will just make that gap larger. If there is going to be a new grind, then everyone should be able to start it at the same level.
Right now having to grind all those past lives and racial points and reaper points and fate points and filigree slots and dino bones and threads of fate etc. etc. is just as much a wall.
There's a gap, sure. But it's the not the massive gap people claim it is either. People have done more difficult content on 1st lifers on HC than many folks have done on their mains.

There are plenty of things to do, even when there are no more rewards to chase if you have a group of ppl who genuinely enjoy running with you and who you enjoy runing with. Except for peps who only care about gaining more power, those will bail on you the moment there's no carrot to chase. I guess it all depends of who you surroud yourself with
I want SSG to appeal to players across the board from casual to push raiders to r10 zergers to flower sniffers; the more they appeal to all playstyles and goals, the more people the make happy, the more will be around to do stuff with.

DBZ

The DIVIDE gets more massive every single day

Don't forget the stupid butterflies grind another p2w rng system

And the ED pass and all the GUTTED EPIC STRIKES

voenixa121

There's a gap, sure. But it's the not the massive gap people claim it is either. People have done more difficult content on 1st lifers on HC than many folks have done on their mains.
This argument again. It's not about being able to complete content. It's about having fun and being able to join in on new stuff without feeling like having to do 100 past lives first. That gap is between people having trouble in elite and others able to solo reaper 10. Don't tell me that's not massive. Having to grind for years just to catch up is insanity.
And the worst thing about these systems is how people that are already further ahead can get ahead even faster. Reaper 10 gives 10 times the rxp of reaper 1. Elite has double the drop rate of hard. Past lives make it easier and faster to get more past lives. That's absolutely stupid. There is no real progression system here.
And people cry for more and more. And when someone asks about catching up it's always the "on HC people complete all the content" or "you don't need all the past lives".

rabidfox

The People's Champion
This argument again. It's not about being able to complete content. It's about having fun and being able to join in on new stuff without feeling like having to do 100 past lives first. That gap is between people having trouble in elite and others able to solo reaper 10. Don't tell me that's not massive. Having to grind for years just to catch up is insanity.
And the worst thing about these systems is how people that are already further ahead can get ahead even faster. Reaper 10 gives 10 times the rxp of reaper 1. Elite has double the drop rate of hard. Past lives make it easier and faster to get more past lives. That's absolutely stupid. There is no real progression system here.
And people cry for more and more. And when someone asks about catching up it's always the "on HC people complete all the content" or "you don't need all the past lives".
I'm in favor of SSG doing catch up mechanics for those that would like things a bit quicker. I also get tired of hearing people claim they can't do X or Y because they don't have 100 past lives. There can both be power gap and people making completely bloated false claims about how they can't function without that power. As for reaper, it's easy to catch up on RXP, like silly fast for the initial 25 points or so (I think I was 6 or 7 points just off leveling r1's on my first lifer that started at level 7), then it slows down a little bit, but it's not that hard to get 75 points.

This is why I want SSG to do 'unlimited power' weekend events; where they give everyone temporarily all the past lives and RP for the weekend. Then folks can see where they're really at.

Last edited:

bleach

I want SSG to appeal to players across the board from casual to push raiders to r10 zergers to flower sniffers; the more they appeal to all playstyles and goals, the more people the make happy, the more will be around to do stuff with.

I dunno about that one tbh, grind systems tend to push casuals, newer players and flower sniffers away, cause they can't just keep up. The playerbase just keeps getting thinner with every new system they introduce, you just have to look at the numbers. Some of it is the game being old no doubt, but both the introduction of epic destinies ( and epic tr ) and reaper have had the biggest exsodus effect I have seen in the game, especially amongst the "casuals".

I do think it's good to try keep as many as possible engaged, but it is easier said than done cause oftentimes casual and powergammers interest colide. It's a matter of finding some balance

voenixa121

I'm in favor of SSG doing catch up mechanics for those that would like things a bit quicker. I also get tired of hearing people claim they can't do X or Y because they don't have 100 past lives. There can both be power gap and people making completely bloated false claims about how they can't function without that power. As for reaper, it's easy to catch up on RXP, like silly fast for the initial 25 points or so (I think I was 6 or 7 points just off leveling r1's on my first lifer that started at level 7), then it slows down a little bit, but it's not that hard to get 75 points.
If past lives and reaper points aren't that big of a deal and so easy to get anyway, just give everyone 156 reaper points. Then you can start the next grind.
I hope you know that there are people that play this game differently than you. How long do you take for a past live? 3 days? Maybe even less?
If I have to play a class I dislike I sometimes just give up on the game. I'm incapable of this kind of mindless, unfun grind. That's the worst thing about the grind here: Can't even do it on the character that's fun to play to you. That's why I have simply given up on it. I have been playing for 6 years and don't even have completionist. So I very well know that you can play without all those past lives.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
If past lives and reaper points aren't that big of a deal and so easy to get anyway, just give everyone 156 reaper points.
Sure and we can give everyone all the gear too; why run quests and raids, just talk to a vendor and pick up whatever you want. You could argue grind could be made faster, but removing it is just silly.

How long do you take for a past live? 3 days? Maybe even less?
I typically spend a week or two per life (sometimes longer). I level up, grind out any gear I might need for a build and then run content on higher skulls for that sweet RXP. Run some raids. And then pop and repeat. If I'm not feeling a life, I might pop right away; but it's generally better to spend some time at cap.

Last edited:

erethizon1

That, and the whole thread, it's very telling of what DDO has become....endless grind & power crep addiction.
People that like to twiddle their thumbs in video games with no advancement don't usually last 14 years in an MMO. DDO has its long lifespan and its current audience because of the endless character advancement. There are definitely some lovers of DDO that would be here without past lives (and some that would even prefer their absence), but at this point I would suspect that more than half of the people playing the game long term are here in no small part because they enjoy how much more character advancement this game has than others.

erethizon1

I get that. It's still surprising to see players ask for more grind tho, instead of you know, playing for fun with some friends. It's like someone who has been in jail for so long they have forgotten life exist out of jail, and when the jailer finally opens the cage instead of leaving they ask them for a new, more shiny, cell
The trouble you are having is you view past lives as grind. To me it feels analogous to saying, "I'm surprised to see people asking for more quests or raids to be added to the game. All it is doing is adding more grind. They should just be playing the same old quests on repeat with friends."

The new lives add to the fun. They give purpose to repeating the game beyond simply farming gear. In so many games I hit the newbie zone once and never see it again. I have a great time in the newbie zone and look on it with nostalgia, but I never go back, because there is never a reason to (I am one person in real life and one person in video games. Alts are not my jam). Past lives allow the joy of repeating the game, while providing a reason to do it, and it is much more fun, for me, than staying at cap repeating end game content (which is always the type of content I enjoy the least).

erethizon1

If that's the case, can always do the whole grind again with a new character, you will be busy for years :)
There is absolutely no satisfaction in deleting a character you spent years on to start on a new character. You may as well leave the game and play something that is an entirely new experience. Past lives give a reason to continue playing.