What's the point of crafting if you can only make the same seemingly random combinations as on looted items?

dur

aka Cybersquirt
As far as I can tell, El's "purpose" is to spark conversation. It doesn't matter if it's based on false premises, or inciteful, so long as it makes people post and talk, it's a "win". Which imo is kinda toxic, especially when spreading rumors and false information. Even if one of these made up fantasies end up eventually becoming true, that doesn't change the fact that at the moment it's a falsehood as it's just made up at worst, wishful thinking at best. It's really annoying to watch tbh, and frustrating to deal with... do we as a community ignore him until he gets bored and stops? That can work, but a common way to stop bad ideas is to directly oppose it with good ideas / correct the false information asap, and ignoring him also means the falsehoods remain up for all to see and be fooled by. It's a tough spot to be in.

As for the OP... Cannith Crafting is not random. It's the same types of bonuses as found on random-gen gear, but instead of being subservient to RNG, you can customize each item to be exactly what you want it to be. That is a powerful and useful tool.
They sure do try and 'spark' an awful lot of 'conversation' then.. makes me wonder..

And that it is not random is the purpose of Cannith -- or any -- Crafting (CC.) Powerful indeed.

erethizon1

Fearsome is invaluable when soloing.. like, really soling (no hires or pets.)

Doesn't true sight mess up the "find" bonus though? Something about 'incidental/accidental...'
True sight only messes up who gets credit for it. So instead of your character being mentioned as the one that spot the secret door, misadventure will get credit for it instead. It has no impact on the exp bonus or anything that matters, but if you like seeing your name up there, then better to search the old-fashioned way.

Noobcake

Cannith Crafting is stupid. There, I said it. It's DUMB, with all caps and bold.

In order for it to not be stupid, it needs to allow stapling every doodad to every item with no lolrandom restrictions and let every single goddamn thing to come out of the workbench be freely tradable. These dumbass restrictions may have been acceptable before they invented the set bonus nonsense but there's no excuse now, especially considering what utter ******** reaching high CC levels require.

saekee

long live ROGUE
as stated, bring back flexible shards.

Add two insightful slots for level 31-40 Cannith gear, so crafting could have 4 slots. Then it willbe uber useful for filler.

Crafting is behind named gear because named gear can drop with mythic/reaper bonuses. It is ok to craft the same stats due to this.

The one thing crafting has for it is cursing—curse it and then either sell it on AH or use it appropriately.

Gem of Many Facets is great in heroics too as it makes a set with Raven eye or whatever.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Cannith Crafting is stupid. There, I said it. It's DUMB, with all caps and bold.

In order for it to not be stupid, it needs to allow stapling every doodad to every item with no lolrandom restrictions and let every single goddamn thing to come out of the workbench be freely tradable. These dumbass restrictions may have been acceptable before they invented the set bonus nonsense but there's no excuse now, especially considering what utter ******** reaching high CC levels require.
You clearly have no significant level in CC or you zerg thru levels n don't care :) I'm not sure what the final paragraph is about, but do feel free to rephrase.

CC is not "stupid." Most of my toons rely on it.

Lacci

In order for it to not be stupid, it needs to allow stapling every doodad to every item with no lolrandom restrictions and let every single goddamn thing to come out of the workbench be freely tradable.
OK, I´m no expert on Cannith crafting, but I thought you could craft everything either bound or unbound, so it is tradable. The unbound shards just are more expensive to do.

Sylvado

OK, I´m no expert on Cannith crafting, but I thought you could craft everything either bound or unbound, so it is tradable. The unbound shards just are more expensive to do.
The cost of unbound is so expensive that when compared to how easy and quickly you can level crafting they are not practical to create.

Lazuli

What is this "flexible shard?"
The old cannith crafting system had an advancing crafting option to create shards that could go in others slots than standard. Those were named flexible shards.

While this new crafting is simpler and easier of understand, isn't as flexible in some ways as original the cannith crafting. Although basically it is because it lacks options such as flexible shards.

In reality today it is absurd to limit the slots in which you can craft . In the old days there was that limitation because the slots in the named items were also limited, but when devs removed that limitation from the named items they introduced the flexible shards, which they did not export to the current CC.

But nowadays flexible shards shouldn't even be needed. We should be able to put any stat in any slot. Nowadays the named loot is a total lack of control that gives the impression of items created by rolling dice. Remove the crafting limitation, which corresponds to a ancient loot state that does not correspond to the current state.

Last edited:

saekee

long live ROGUE
What is this "flexible shard?"
The old cannith crafting system had an advancing crafting option to create shards that could go in others slots than standard. Those were named flexible shards.

While this new crafting is simpler and easier of understand, isn't as flexible in some ways as original the cannith crafting. Although basically it is because it lacks options such as flexible shards.

In reality today it is absurd to limit the slots in which you can craft . In the old days there was that limitation because the slots in the named items were also limited, but when devs removed that limitation from the named items they introduced the flexible shards, which they did not export to the current CC.

But nowadays flexible shards shouldn't even be needed. We should be able to put any stat in any slot. Nowadays the named loot is a total lack of control that gives the impression of items created by rolling dice. Remove the crafting limitation, which corresponds to a ancient loot state that does not correspond to the current state.

edit: ninja’d by Lazuli

Lazuli

Lol sakee you are a kalastar psion! Exactly the same thoughs than me , said very similar.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Is this a serious discussion? As in in, Game Changing? Like TUMBLE!! If so, y'all might want to consider yer tone. If not, is Forums

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Lazuli

Is this a serious discussion? As in in, Game Changing? Like TUMBLE!! If so, y'all might want to consider yer tone. If not, is Forums
What do you mean it's a serious discussion? CC was different years ago. Devs changed it and in many ways I am satisfied with the change, but there is no doubt that this new CC (simpler, easier to understand, and not bad in itself) lacks some options that the old one had.

Flexible shards, which allowed a stat to be in more slots than standard, were a thing in the past. For some reason, they were never implemented in the new system. There is no reason why they cannot be introduced in a system review. Or better yet, just remove the slot limitation, because the reasons why that limitation was initially created no longer exist now (in ancient times, named loots also had limited slots in which each stat could appear and that's obviously not the case nowadays.)

And what tone? I haven't seen bad manners here.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Years ago ? I almost quit, "years ago" when UD went paid n then when they changed CC. Point? **Manners?? ROFFLMAO :raises NO DRAMA flag:

Last edited:

Lazuli

Years ago ? I almost quit, "years ago" when UD went paid n then when they changed CC. Point? **Manners?? ROFFLMAO :raises NO DRAMA flag:
Yes, this "new" cannith crafting is years old. It is the most recent system, but not exactly recently landed.

Although the system is years old, many veterans have not forgotten that the old system was more flexible in a few things, and that is why they are still salty with the change, hence comments like "it's stupid."

I don't think it's stupid, and I really like its simplicity, but the truth is that I think it can be improved in some areas, including the slot limitation. As there are more and more named sets, even in heroic, the usefulness of this system decreases more and more, because it is difficult to fit in the necessary stats with the free slots.

And I don't know, you were the one who said "y'all might want to consider yer tone", which I don't understand, since this topic has been polited at all times.

Last edited:

Sylvado

I don't think it's stupid, and I really like its simplicity, but the truth is that I think it can be improved in some areas, including the slot limitation. As there are more and more named sets, even in heroic, the usefulness of this system decreases more and more, because it is difficult to fit in the necessary stats with the free slots.
This is all you really need to say about the crafting system, the set bonuses are so good that you would not want to give up the set and they generally do not leave many gaps to be filled anyway.

AMess

I have a character with nearly max cannith crafting and another with all the past lives. if you intend to knock out all the past lives and build gear for select past lives, then cannith crafting can help out.

however if you're a casual player, it's most definitely not worth the time/effort. the main issue is not enough or any quality/insight/profane attribute modifiers. (where is insightful doublestrike?). secondly, most of what you can make in cannith crafting you can get in the form of an augment. ingredients are often simply unavailable...I collected every crafting ingredient for every life, emptied the auction house many times and still only crafted a handful of pieces, b/c I was missing or couldn't find ingredients...even when begging others. lastly, there aren't enough slots for cafting stuff onto gear and the slots are quite limited in what can go where.

I was glad to see the scaling on cannith crafting was improved recently, but until we add more to what it can create & make ingredients more available, it's purpose is largely for the reincarnation speed runners.