Wizard: Eldritch Knight seems too good

woq

Wizards of any kind hardly seem op. Some have been nice to have around in high reaper for cc/instakilling but nothing out of the norm compared to competition. If one of the trees seems better than the rest, that speaks more about the other ones than EK.

Archmage is the one who isn't allowed in the sauna, left sweeping the shower floors and scratching at the door. EK enjoys the bench inside salvaged by being shared with the cool sorcerers in the sauna while true cool kids like druids, sorcs, alchs, warlocks and honestly everyone else is laughing from the higher seats.

TavernBrawler

So, my question: Is EK simply busted? Have your guys tryied to more or less compare the Wizard trees? Is EK really the way to go even as pure caster?

Nope. I dont want your EK toon anywhere near R10s quests especially R8+ raids. You will be just a waste of spot - your DPS is pathetic compared to fighter/barb/monk, your CC will be pathetic and your HP/PRR/MRR too low to be a tank. LH raids? Maybe I will take you if I am in good mood.

Smokewolf

The recent changes to the ED's have really neutered DPS casting. Sure Wizards were never ment to be great nukers, but it was nice to have something to use between spell cooldowns. Whole situation is pretty crappy. Next TR, odds are that I may not run another caster. Not sure where I'll land yet, as I farkn hate melee.

Almghandi

"Wizard: Eldritch Knight seems too good"​

I love the idea of an Eldritch Knight.... but found that as FVS or EA destiny I have better chances of reaching the end chest along with the sorcs....

Ptalon

Lol again the jack of spades shows up, you already did try to dominish the value of his point when you used the descriptor “nobody” in your post, and then proceed to puff your chest out to brag about how your barbarian(with whatever past lives or gear you are baiting the post so that you can talk about that too, so save us all the fireworks). But hey you redeemed yourself after all the belittling text with a closing statement of how it may not be warranted.

As for the original OP, i am sorry to hear that a change in the destiny has cost you 20 ranks and impacted your fun, i hope you can find a way to make adjustments and get your fun level back to where it was or maybe reach the devs and have them fix this if it is a bug. Speak loud and be heard.
I was hoping it was an oversight (bug). But I have brought it up twice (now three times) with no response from them. :(

Falkor

SSG won't respond to you. They don't care.

Look at how many people wanted a clear explanation about the changes to EA aura ... and nothing. Your concern is not their concern.

LurkingVeteran

Compared to AM, most trees will seem really OP

This is because AM is perhaps the single worst tree in the entire game right now
Ninja Spy wants a word. Besides that, I agree.

At L24 AM can get a bit of a buff via MoK if you manage to keep stacks up.

However, monster immunities, long spell cooldowns and less spell points means you have to tetris spell power, DC and spell point items, which can make Wizard frustrating in practice. If they had more decent force (AM) or negative (PM) spell options to fall back on, they would have a much smoother play experience. They really need to update the force line spells, and the only high-level necro AoE is terrible damage and somehow actually force. This was the goto AoE spell for necromancers in PnP, so it's kind of disappointing. The game wouldn't be broken by having one decent negative or force nuke.

Last edited:

The Narc

SSG won't respond to you. They don't care.

Look at how many people wanted a clear explanation about the changes to EA aura ... and nothing. Your concern is not their concern.
I am generally against most nerfs, it is usually the unnecessary nerfs that i dont see the point of(examples being the IPS nerf, the cargo hold buffs nerf, the nerf to treasure bags on giant class mobs to now dropping the planar crystals group, the addition of more random crappy augments to the trade in lists for collectibles at their respective traders and likely the loss of the skill adjustment that the OP is speaking of)

But…

On the other hand some nerfs where definitely needed to fix OP or easy button things, here are some good examples;
The Warlock
The Monk thrower
The Inquisitor
The Favoured soul (most definitely)
The Dragon Breath Epic Strike
The EA aura

As for the EA aura, there was a response by the devs, “this ability was not functioning as they intended in gameplay”, so that does leave some room for speculation, but lets try and have a look how this easy button works in groups of average joes running on elite or low reapers(getting fast favor and reaper xp and plenty of loot pulls for named gear at endgame). Group of 6 all have EA aura, they reckless run on full aggression in range of each other all getting healing ticks from all the auras, smashing content at an alarming speed. I think its pretty clear why SSG didnt like the way this was functioning, it is a straight out loss of income for them in the long run(all boost potions would be getting more production, average players are getting more loot pulls per minute than intended, casual joe’s getting more reaper xp per minute than intended and each life piling on the favor quicker than intended to gather DDO points quicker than intended, all with not a single dollar spent in the ddo points store). My conclusion, it was an easy button as was the Dragon breath(reminded me of watching favoured souls decimating heroic content while leveling for past lives especially racial, this cost them income).

Ones you can expect to see in the future, again for the average joes, not the vets running R10

Number 1 - The Alchemist (crazy AOE annihilation with immunity stripping and ability to pile on the falsies for an entire group), i believe they havent nerfed this yet because they are still hoping to encourage enough people to by the class in the store, once they have a high enough percentage, this one will get the hammer

Number 2 - The Druid, both the cold and the bear(will be something to do with their AOE stun)

Number 3 - The Sorc, this one will be something sneaky like slowing down spell casting speed

Most melees wont see nerfs, they love melees it gives them a chance to do damage to you and for average joes that definitely limits how fast and what difficulty questing can be done.

The Narc

Oliphant

EA nerf has not made the game better or more fun, just irritating our raid healers cycling through past lives with any semblance of build diversity. They did not nerf EA because of some horrible existing situation, they knew what they were making and did it to mitigate total DL takeover during the pre DL nerfs phase before the DL nerfs they already have planned. The scale of balance in this game is not fun based, this is not a Larian game, its about the relative poor value of Epic Otto Boxes and observed dips in kit, sp pot, slayer boost and other ptw item sales. Stressing out complex systems (i.e. the player base) only causes push back. They are just creating more meta gamers with every nerf pass. The final form of the meta game is people quitting for greener pastures in real life.

The Narc

What did they drop before and when did this happen?
They used to only drop the amulet collectibles(amulet of the lost empire) and were trade-able to verisgante in house j with the right amount of collectibles you would get a random sapphire which one of them was sapphires of heavy fortification(of course as i mentioned they went ahead and added more random level 8 sapphires to which also decreased the likelihood of getting the heavy fort), so it was a double nerf to our ability to get these thru this method. Its just a sneaky shady little change they put thru and hoped nobody noticed.

Quartis

Pale master tree suffers from not having an necro aoe dmg spell from character level 1 to 7 and ddo is quite about beating up groups of enemies, which makes the whole necro crit column feel meh, because when my aoe dmg is elemental dmg anyway. Then I can just skill archmage crit which boosts elemental dmg.
Would feel much better when there would be a necro aoe dmg spell something like snowball swarm.

Ptalon

Well I tried an Evoker Arch Mage this epic life.
....it sucks.
Big time.

The Epic Strike is ok. (not part of AM)
The Arcane Blast is ok.
Nothing else.

I imagine you can come up with a combo tree build t get some bonus to your spell DCs. But that' about it.

So... what options do I have with a Wizard.
Be undead.
Be melee.
Be both.

Reactions: DBZ

Ptalon

Well I tried an Evoker Arch Mage this epic life.
....it sucks.
Big time.

The Epic Strike is ok. (not part of AM)
The Arcane Blast is ok.
Nothing else.

I imagine you can come up with a combo tree build t get some bonus to your spell DCs. But that' about it.

So... what options do I have with a Wizard.
Be undead.
Be melee.
Be both.
Oh, and Magus of the Eclipse basically sucks too.
Wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't limited to cold and negative damage. But monsters basically have nothing to dispel.