Wizards should have the option to pay the scroll and inscription fee and study the spells. It's exhausting to re-learn them after reincarnation

Onyxia2016

I do not see why spell books are not a handed down item. Melee classes hand down all the gear and a spell book is just another piece of gear in that sense. Bank rare scroll can chew up valuable bank space as well. I got around that by creating an alt that is the keeper of the scrolls. All the rare scroll I get, even when playing a melee gets funneled to this alt for later inscription.

Early on when plat was actually limited newer players did not have millions of plat on 20 different bank alts, one had to carefully choose what scrolls they could afford in order to scribe them. Now days new players can quickly earn enough to just buy the entire shop.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I am doing warforged lives on my current TR project. I thought about trying out the revamped AM tree. But then I remembered I had to inscribe (blank) loads of spells. So he went fvs instead.

Fizban

But the purpose of scribing is already long gone redundant. After all every time you scribe the roll is 100% guaranteed to succeed.
DDO is based on a role-playing game called Dungeon & Dragons (D&D). There are a variety of caster classes from Sorcerers, Druids, Warlocks, Clerics, Favored Souls, Wizards, etc. Each of them has different specialies and requirements. When I reiencarnate my wizard (my main is a wizard) one of the things I look forward to is the scribing of the scroll and obtaining both the scrolls I can buy and the ones I can find in chests.

DDO (SSG) has wizard's setup as they should be from D&D expectations.

Reactions: dur

Fizban

Okay you can write them each life you want, some of us find the task tedious, is it really skin off your back if we don't do it?
Would it really be skin off of your back to play another caster class that doesn't require scribing?

I prefer for DDO to stay within the D&D framwork as much as possible. In reality it takes a minimum amount of game time. There should never just be an easy button to get to the endpoint of anything in a game. The quest to completion is really the main point of any role-playing game.

PaleFox

It has been suggested many times to be able to tr your spells as a wizard.
It has also been suggested to be able to acquire pre scribed tomes.
Would be fun to actually have a tome that follows some theme.

Heck, it would give so much debt to be actually read the pages of the tomes with scribbles from those mad hatters.
How about being able to cast a spell that is transcribed to be a higher casting level and thus delivers more oomph.

Ying

5000+ hours played
Write Scroll - Spellcasting feat (Wizard bonus feat, min 5 wizard level or 8 artificer level)

You can write a spells in your spellbook onto scrolls.
When writing it, you can choose the level of the scroll between the minimum level of the spell and your caster level.
You can put the finished scrolls in a personal bank or use them as you wish.
Any character can make a magical item (regardless of class split) with Cannith Crafting. The same approach can apply to scrolls, potions and wands. I'm not suggesting Cannith Crafting has to be further modified. There can be a separate crafting system for scrolls, potions and wands. Can have the same BtC vs tradeable method where lower level skill makes BtC scrolls while higher level skill is needed to make tradeable scrolls, potions and wands.

Onyxia2016

For those that like the current scribing method, I would not want to see anything take that enjoyment away.

At the same time it is well within the D&D game design that a casters spell book is a physical item that one carries and should be something that can be handed down via the TR cache when the time comes.

If you wish to scribe a new book then my all means trash the old one and start a new one.
In order for this to be fully inclusive system the following would be a nice addition to the game.
  • New characters, that are casters, that inscribe, receive anew spell book at character creation containing the select spells.
  • Spell books take an inventory space.
  • Blank spell books can be purchased should you accidently trash your original.
  • You cannot change spells without your spell book in your inventory.
The existing spell book interface can still be used with an additional check that you have your spell book in your inventory as well as in that tavern or rest shrine to change spells, otherwise they are grayed out as normal.

Programmatically, there will need to be a table that associates the character ID with the spell book ID that list the ID's of all the spells scribed. I am sure this would be a similar data structure to the Shield of Legend, which is a container for varying items within it.

Other than appeasing to both sides of this discussion it would also help bring a little more immersion to the game.

Side Note: Way back when I played PnP regularly, I had a real physical book I created that had the characters spells in it. Each page had basically the write-up as the players handbook but I had also drawn various arcane symbols and illustrations throughout. It was kind of fun having it. This is more a digital version of that.

Lazuli

It has been suggested many times to be able to tr your spells as a wizard.
It has also been suggested to be able to acquire pre scribed tomes.
Would be fun to actually have a tome that follows some theme.

Heck, it would give so much debt to be actually read the pages of the tomes with scribbles from those mad hatters.
How about being able to cast a spell that is transcribed to be a higher casting level and thus delivers more oomph.
Right now I just gave a whole spellbook to one of my players, it's in the treasure of an enemy they're going to defeat tomorrow :p

I'm sorry, but in pnp it's not just about inscribing scrolls in the book. There are the spellbooks that you can find as treasure, obtain from your mentors or allies, or purchase with the right contacts, there is also the research...

What I find incoherent is that in DDO we cannot take the spellbooks of any of the defeated wizards, nor buy them in the Portable hole, which is a specialized sales site for arcanes...

TedSandyman

I feel like transcribing spells is something that makes sense in pen and paper, but really doesn't translate well into an mmo.

It is nothing but pure tedium that really adds nothing to the game.

If there were quests with rewards that are special powerful spells, and you have to run the quest to get those spells, I could see transcribing being a thing. But as it is now it is useless and makes the game worse not better.

Get rid of it is my opinion.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
DDO is based on a role-playing game called Dungeon & Dragons (D&D). There are a variety of caster classes from Sorcerers, Druids, Warlocks, Clerics, Favored Souls, Wizards, etc. Each of them has different specialies and requirements. When I reiencarnate my wizard (my main is a wizard) one of the things I look forward to is the scribing of the scroll and obtaining both the scrolls I can buy and the ones I can find in chests.

DDO (SSG) has wizard's setup as they should be from D&D expectations.
Correct, do you know ddo and D&D for the matter, when you scribe the scroll there is a roll? When you fail the roll you fail to scribe the scroll. But with tome +8 ship buffs, etc etc the scroll nowadays is guaranteed to scribe? Which is why I said its long gone redundant. What i'm saying is you not doing it right when you look forward to scribe. You cheating from the very start. 😋

droid327

I kinda wonder why Wizards, Alchemists, Artificers can Not currently in this game inscribe a spell they know in their spellbook into a Bound to Character Scroll (btc guild scrolls already exist in the game) or recipe before TR and then after TR inscribe the scrolls back into their spellbook....

Probably because scrolls also let you cast the spell, and there are a few rare spells that you would never need to actually slot if you could just scribe a stack of scrolls. DD, a lot of arti buffs, etc.

DBZ

We've had a dd hire in the game since forever just make all scrolls available in the portable hole period done no problems

Reactions: dur