DDO is celebrating the Year of the Dragon

Celtic

Is the raiders reward box similar to the last version - as I recall there were issues the last time that caused some confusion as it was based on your character having done a raid in its current life. Or is it for everybody (regardless of raid status) but just with a choice of items from a subset of raids?

Ellisaria

We uh can't all play every day of the week XD

I did notice that, but even so it's 1.5 days of it for the most active players (given they generally update during the day, like during a Wednesday server restart).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it sounded like drops are slated to be released on the last Wednesday of the month and we had until the last Tuesday of the following month to claim them.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it sounded like drops are slated to be released on the last Wednesday of the month and we had until the last Tuesday of the following month to claim them.
That's exactly what it is. "starting on the last Wednesday of every month, new drops will be released and will remain available to redeem for free only until the next offering debuts."

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

ok ahh I see, no wonder there's no Hardcore planned for rest of 2024, looks like pretty packed every month of Devs times for all these Year of DRAGON Awesomeness! among other features packed in Producer Letter!

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
#1 This is absolutely awesome! Stunning. Absolutely stunning!

#2 I will NEVER say a bad word about the DDO SSG team again.

#3 Can I Uber Eats/DoorDash the SSG team at PAX?

#4 If blue dragon wings exist then... RED dragon wings exist as well? (small preview?)

#5 Green Dragon Mount ???

Cordovan

Community Manager
Is the raiders reward box similar to the last version - as I recall there were issues the last time that caused some confusion as it was based on your character having done a raid in its current life. Or is it for everybody (regardless of raid status) but just with a choice of items from a subset of raids?
This is not accurate. The former "raider's reward box" was a static list of rewards to pick from, no one had to run a raid to get the box or its contents. We'll have more information about these new gifts when their time comes, but yes, the box will be similar.

EDIT: Well, maybe I am incorrect. We did several distributions of this box, and yeah, now that I think about it I think its original distribution was tied to having done a raid. Regardless, all other distributions of this box didn't have such a requirement, nor will this one.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
What kind of Dragon Disciple?

Chromatic? If so, what color?

If not Chromatic, Metallic? If so, which metal?

If not either Chromatic or Metallic, what kind, then?

Last edited:

Shear-buckler

I really appreciate all the free stuff of loot and cosmetics with this year of the dragon event. But I'm a bit disappointed.

I personally don't value cosmetics and in game loot as highly as I do with playable content like: archetypes, dungeons, raids, etc.
with that being said, I feel like there is a lack of new and exciting playable content promised this year, considering hardcore is being put on hold.

There is a level cap increase and an expansion coming.

mikarddo

Thank you for presenting the list of goodies.

I care not at all for cosmetics, pets and mounts, but hopefully others do.

I am annoyed you are giving everyone wings (please atleast add an UI option to turn off seeing wings on other players, its a clutter if everyone has those), and very annoyed that you are giving everyone footprints, as that should have been reserved for actually doing something.

I am VIP so the Archtypes and adventures were something I would have gotten anyway, but I am very happy to get free gold rolls for a month.

That leaves 3 reward/select boxes unknown. If those are not good the only good item for me will be the 1 month of gold rolls.

I hope the number of cosmetics/pets/mounts/wings/footprints here means you have something more substantial planned for VIP. I certainly do not want even more fluff like that.

Cordovan

Community Manager
So yes, we did have a conversation prior to publishing about the whole month naming thing, but ultimately it was just easier to go the titling route we did. If it helps, think of the full title as "Debuts in (Month)". The timing is that when the appropriate Wednesday rolls around we'll have a news article that will be linked to the associated box, and the most recent article available will be the current, active gift. So, that also means we're keeping quite a few details under wraps until their time comes, but it will also be part of the excitement. You'll probably see some of the stuff ahead of time, but we'll see. Clearly for example you can see Dragon Lord on Lamannia right now!

Ahpuch

Can we like call the bonuses one month different? The 28th of February drop is a March feature. The 27th of March is an April feature.

Calling Dragonlord a February feature just feels sus, like it's February right now and no Dragonlord, and I won't until the last day of February (unless I'm busy for literally one day, in which case I won't even touch it in the month of release).
The month is when you can first get the item. Seems reasonable. If they shift then people can complain that calling it June Green Dragon Mount meant that they missed a week of being able to use it 'cause they didn't know they could get it in May. Its reasonable the way it is. Unless you want everything to be delivered a week later than planned. Is that what you want? To make everybody wait an extra week??? That could risk real traumatic damage to some forumites....

ChicagoChris

In celebration of Dungeons and Dragons' 50th anniversary, DDO is launching the Year of the Dragon, featuring a monthly giveaway of FREE dragon-themed gifts! Read more on DDO.com.
Do you know what would be an AWESOME™ gift for the Year of the Dragon?

Dragonborn SWIMMING like snakes/fish, not humans!

I'd love to see Dragonborn swim with their arms back and still, and just see their tail propelling them. It would have to be a totally different motion, but it would look so cool!

b5pBtN.gif

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
This is not accurate. The former "raider's reward box" was a static list of rewards to pick from, no one had to run a raid to get the box or its contents. We'll have more information about these new gifts when their time comes, but yes, the box will be similar.

EDIT: Well, maybe I am incorrect. We did several distributions of this box, and yeah, now that I think about it I think its original distribution was tied to having done a raid. Regardless, all other distributions of this box didn't have such a requirement, nor will this one.
Cord, as a special treat this Friday could you perhaps give us a sneak peek at some of the cosmetics we'll be seeing throughout the year...?

Maybe one itsy bitsy sneak peek? Just to get the ol' juices flowing.