DDO is celebrating the Year of the Dragon

Marshal_Lannes

This is an excellent series of gifts; thematic, exciting, and desirable. Blue Dragon Wings partially solves the lingering reaper question by allowing players to get a cosmetic that previously required much reaper gameplay investment building upon the opportunity set by the Butterfly Wings Hardcore reward. It's time to pull out those GH dragon scales and make a blue dragon armor cosmetic to pair with them. I like this because it gives people options on what type of wings to equip while allowing players who never had wings before to get a set. Nice job.

One observation; since you are adding two new limited-availability cosmetics, is it possible that 2024 becomes the year where we can get a cosmetic folder? I'll gladly pay for it in the DDO store. Please allocate a little time to making this available! It really would make character design more seamless and less of an inventory hassle. It would be a large quality-of-life upgrade.

PS: "Ground bound Green Dragon Mount". Does that mean there will be an airborne mount in the future?!

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
This is an excellent series of gifts; thematic, exciting, and desirable. Blue Dragon Wings partially solves the lingering reaper question by allowing players to get a cosmetic that previously required much reaper gameplay investment building upon the opportunity set by the Butterfly Wings Hardcore reward. It's time to pull out those GH dragon scales and make a blue dragon armor cosmetic to pair with them. I like this because it gives people options on what type of wings to equip while allowing players who never had wings before to get a set. Nice job.

One observation; since you are adding two new limited-availability cosmetics, is it possible that 2024 becomes the year where we can get a cosmetic folder? I'll gladly pay for it in the DDO store. Please allocate a little time to making this available! It really would make character design more seamless and less of an inventory hassle. It would be a large quality-of-life upgrade.

PS: "Ground bound Green Dragon Mount". Does that mean there will be an airborne mount in the future?!
My "cosmetic folder" is named: "Gearcosmetic Wardrobe"
:)

Celtic

This is not accurate. The former "raider's reward box" was a static list of rewards to pick from, no one had to run a raid to get the box or its contents. We'll have more information about these new gifts when their time comes, but yes, the box will be similar.

EDIT: Well, maybe I am incorrect. We did several distributions of this box, and yeah, now that I think about it I think its original distribution was tied to having done a raid. Regardless, all other distributions of this box didn't have such a requirement, nor will this one.
Thanks Cordovan - probably just the original stuck in my mind as there were issues. When everything runs peachy noone notices as Im sure you're very aware!!

Celtic

Thank you for presenting the list of goodies.

I care not at all for cosmetics, pets and mounts, but hopefully others do.

I am annoyed you are giving everyone wings (please atleast add an UI option to turn off seeing wings on other players, its a clutter if everyone has those), and very annoyed that you are giving everyone footprints, as that should have been reserved for actually doing something.

I am VIP so the Archtypes and adventures were something I would have gotten anyway, but I am very happy to get free gold rolls for a month.

That leaves 3 reward/select boxes unknown. If those are not good the only good item for me will be the 1 month of gold rolls.

I hope the number of cosmetics/pets/mounts/wings/footprints here means you have something more substantial planned for VIP. I certainly do not want even more fluff like that.
Only problem with non-fluff stuff is that it either eats into their sales in the store or they give out an item that gives the character a buff which others then complain about, or people complain that its too weak etc etc. Its hard pleasing everybody in an MMO!

mikarddo

Only problem with non-fluff stuff is that it either eats into their sales in the store or they give out an item that gives the character a buff which others then complain about, or people complain that its too weak etc etc. Its hard pleasing everybody in an MMO!
The fluff items - cosmetics, pets, mounts etc should be sold in the store for those that like such things. By giving out fluff items away they are very much missing potential sales.

Further, giving those away to everyone - and thus making them less relevant because those that likes cosmetics want to be somewhat unique - is just a baffling decision.

At any rate - these things are for free - if they want to give cosmetics thats fine. But when we come to the promised improvements to VIP (if we ever do), they better not also be fluffy cosmetics!

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
Free flight would be cool, but the descriptor likely was added to head-off complaints that the mount doesn’t fly.
The developers certainly could give us the impression of flight... if you are moving, have feather fall, and jump from a height we already kind of glide. The dragon mount could extend its wings to give the impression of flight (even if it little more than falling with style). It would be pretty cool!

Of course, then people would want flying squirrel mounts, bat capes and all sorts of other craziness.

Solarpower

This was presented as such big event but when we've finally got a chance to look at the real deal it's honestly beyond "meh". 🥱

A bunch of cosmetics we don't have a bank space to store ? Suuuuuure thing ! That is exactly what all of the players were dream about ! 🙄

New Archetypes ? What so special about that ? You add new classes/adventure packs into the game for years now. Nothing new here to make that as the part of any event. 😐

owl

"Later this year" could mean later in February or March - both of which are Q1. So no contradiction.

The list of free stuff for Year of the Dragon is purely a list of the dragon-themed freebies that we are getting, not a comprehensive list of everything that is happening in DDO this year.
This could be a trial balloon for the VIP plan. It sounds alot like the plan Severlin discussed except is for the entire community.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
This was presented as such big event but when we've finally got a chance to look at the real deal it's honestly beyond "meh". 🥱

A bunch of cosmetics we don't have a bank space to store ? Suuuuuure thing ! That is exactly what all of the players were dream about ! 🙄

New Archetypes ? What so special about that ? You add new classes/adventure packs into the game for years now. Nothing new here to make that as the part of any event. 😐
So what exactly were you proposing?

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
You know honestly guys, I play many many online games and ya'll here are the most whiniest.

You can potentially get IoD or Vecna expansions for FREE and ya'll like... "NAH, that ain't good enough!"

Insane.

Solarpower

So what exactly were you proposing?
And why should I propose anything ? It won't affect the game in any possible scenario. 🙄

But if you insist, well, personally I would be happy enough if they replace all the cosmetics (or everything) with DDO Points. 🤑 So I would be able to spend them on the stuff that is useful to me.

I guess you didn't get what I'm trying to say here...
This event was presented with such pomp, but the “rewards” in it are no different from what we get in the most ordinary updates - cosmetics, classes, adventures. What's the difference? Well, to announce it as an "event".
It's an ordinary "Let's rename our patches from "Update XX" into "Year of the Dragon event" !" nothing more.

You can potentially get IoD or Vecna expansions for FREE and ya'll like... "NAH, that ain't good enough!"
Insane.
Yeah. What if we already have those ? (Or don't want them ? DDO is not like WoW, for example, you don't need to have all the expansions here.) Yes. For some of the players it's not good enough, SURPRISE ! 😏

Last edited:

Speed

What is "meh" always depends on player.
There are some that are happy when you look at posts.

You saw everything in this game for X times.
What did you actually expect instead of new archetypes, quests and cosmetics?

And why should I propose anything ? It won't affect the game in any possible scenario. 🙄

But if you insist, well, personally I would be happy enough if they replace all the cosmetics (or everything) with DDO Points. 🤑 So I would be able to spend them on the stuff that is useful to me.

Oh, ok, just simple "give me points".
I should expect that.

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

^^ hehehe this is In Fact what's going on ;)
Chinese New Year this year starts February right now (some other year the Lunar calendar starts in January)... the first Dragon theme gifts - the 1st Draconic Archetype - releases in February, and the final Draconic archetype releases next February