A Look at 2024, Year of the Dragon! - Producer's Letter

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
I am pleased to announce that starting at DDO’s Anniversary in February we will be rolling out a yearlong celebration in honor of D&D’s 50th Anniversary! From free gifts to new features, each month during our Year of the Dragon celebration there will be something exciting for our players. Be sure to check in with us on February 7th when we will reveal what each month’s Year of the Dragon surprise will be! The fun starts during DDO's 18th anniversary on February 28th. As a hint to how this starts, the first surprise will be a dragon themed archetype. The “Year of the Dragon” celebration will last all the way until next year’s anniversary.
return of a special coupon code that can be used to get a ton of free quest packs! Use coupon code: FREEDDO2024. (Available through 11:59pm Eastern (-4 GMT) Sunday, February 11th 2024.)
By popular demand, our next major Expansion in the summer will take place in a fan favorite D&D location: Myth Drannor! It is among the more infamous places in the Forgotten Realms and we’re very excited to bring it to life! The level cap will increase to 34, and I’m looking forward to one of Myth Drannor’s hallmarks: Wild Magic areas. Myth Drannor is a place where opening yourself to chaos can allow you to tap into greater power. It’s that power that has attracted the Red Wizards of Thay. Players will need to explore both the ruins of Myth Drannor, and interfere with the plans of the Red Wizards. It’s the quintessential D&D and dungeon delving environment. Presale for the Expansion will start in June.
In addition to two quest packs this year and our Expansion, there will also be a Dynamic Event with quests to unlock. Dynamic Events differ from our seasonal festivals in that while they are limited time activities, they are focused heavily on serious story narrative and DDO canon, and some aspects of them don’t repeat once the DDO community has advanced the story. They’re also meant to have elements that let players experience the event together, with collaboration and peer information sharing. After reviewing feedback on the Illithid Invasion, this Dynamic Event will be inclusive of all character levels since the Illithid Invasion was fairly end game focused. It will take the place of our Hardcore season so that all players can participate. We're anticipating that the event will be some time in the fall, though Dynamic Events may not always be during fall going forward.
updates to the VIP program in the spring this year.

We’ll update Crystal Cove and Night Revels to support the higher-level cap, and Night Revels will also get a new dungeon this year.

We plan to be at PAX East again this year, and more information about that will be announced soon.

Archetypes have added some fresh play options, so we’re going to continue to add more types of them to the game in different ways. Some will be free, some will be paid, but all will bring new ways for people to shake up their character build dynamics.

During Festivult, a curse introduced the cards to more places in game, and we’re going to go ahead and keep the card drops in the Legendary sagas.
tubFBmr.jpg

Free Dungeon Crawl Code Info
We would like to thank you for supporting us! Now through 11:59pm Eastern (-5 GMT) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024 you can enter a special Coupon Code through Redeem Code in the DDO Store in-game to unlock a trove of quests, raids, and adventure packs for free! This content will be permanently added to your account. EVERYONE can redeem the code, whether you are a free player, Premium, or VIP!

The Coupon Code is: FREEDDO2024 (1/Account, available to redeem through 11:59pm Eastern (-5 GMT) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024)

The coupon code grants the following quest packs:

• Against the Slave Lords
  • Attack On Stormreach
  • Delera's Tomb
  • Devil Assault
  • Disciples of Rage
  • Dragonblood Prophecy
  • Harbinger of Madness
  • Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
  • Heart of Madness
  • Hunter and Hunted
  • Keep on the Borderlands
  • Peril of the Planar Eyes
  • Phiarlan Carnival
  • Reign of Madness
  • Secrets of the Artificers
  • Sentinels of Stormreach
  • Shadow Under Thunderholme
  • Shan-to-Kor
  • Sorrowdusk Isle
  • Tangleroot Gorge
  • The Catacombs
  • The Demon Sands
  • The Devil's Gambit
  • The Devils of Shavarath
  • The Dreaming Dark
  • The Druid's Deep
  • The High Road of Shadows
  • The Lost Gatekeepers
  • The Mines of Tethyamar
  • The Necropolis, Part 1
  • The Necropolis, Part 2
  • The Necropolis, Part 3
  • The Necropolis, Part 4
  • The Path of Inspiration
  • The Reaver's Reach
  • The Red Fens
  • The Restless Isles
  • The Ruins of Gianthold
  • The Ruins of Threnal
  • The Sharn Syndicate
  • The Soul Splitter
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil
  • The Vale of Twilight
  • The Vault of Night
  • Three-Barrel Cove
  • Trials of the Archons
  • White Plume Mountain and Other Tales
Additionally, enjoy a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the DDO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through 11:59pm Eastern (-4 GMT) Sunday, February 11th 2024:

• Masterminds of Sharn
  • Menace of the Underdark
  • Mists of Ravenloft
  • The Shadowfell Conspiracy
The highlights.

Ellisaria

I can't help but be nervous when I see "Epic Destiny Balance Pass". I hope the next round of Dynamic Events actually lets people with jobs get to participate. While the illithid event was cool in the concept of getting players to work together and share information, every target was farmed out (except Rainbow in the Dark) before the group I play with got home from school/work.

mikarddo

VIP update... long awaited, yet after seeing the nonsense they put forth a while ago even "we have modified based on feedback" is not enough to make me anticipate something good. Infact, the entire system with "something largely irrelevant every month" seemed a bit offputting.

Hopefully the add something that actually improved the game (for me) :) My two favorites would be:
- Ability to start as level 4 after a TR (this one alone would make me happy, levels 1-3 do get dulll after 100s of run throughs)
- Ability to freely swap destinies and enhancements (optimally with the ability to store setups)

Xeang

I am heartily disappointed in no new Hard Core season for 2024. It is primarily what has kept me gaming regularly in DDO as challenges are fleeting on main servers. In addition I have a good core of friends developed from other servers that I will intensely miss. For the first time in 13 years of DDO I can see myself taking serious time off from DDO. After season 9 which was a soft-core season my friends and I have been discussing and hoping for a challenging season 10. Knowing that is more than a year away saddens me. I hope you reconsider and make season 10 in 2024.

Dunspartacus

I'm hoping for a wild mage archetype. But now that we're getting more Forgotten Realms, I'd love it if I could make non-iconics that could use the FR deities; it's something that would pair up with SSG doing more content there.
Please this, I'm so sick of only having 1 2her choices for favored weapons for non-warforged, non-iconics. Also heres hoping the VIP benefits are much improved from the last rendition. Other than that all looks exciting!

Matuse

I can't help but be nervous when I see "Epic Destiny Balance Pass". I hope the next round of Dynamic Events actually lets people with jobs get to participate. While the illithid event was cool in the concept of getting players to work together and share information, every target was farmed out (except Rainbow in the Dark) before the group I play with got home from school/work.
I think we can expect to see Draconic Incarnation getting a heavy hit with the nerf bat. It probably deserves a small hit, but SSG doesn't do moderation. It's going to be catastrophic.

Lotoc

EDs can definitely do with a rebalance. The current state of them has lead to any element not represented in draconic falling off a cliff in terms of use.
There's also a fact that Dragon Breath, Hunt's End and Adrenaline are so overwhelmingly superior to alternatives that many trees have little point offering epic strikes.
very much looking forward to seeing some changes that'll hopefully improve build diversity.