A Look at 2024, Year of the Dragon! - Producer's Letter

axel15810

I am heartily disappointed in no new Hard Core season for 2024. It is primarily what has kept me gaming regularly in DDO as challenges are fleeting on main servers. In addition I have a good core of friends developed from other servers that I will intensely miss. For the first time in 13 years of DDO I can see myself taking serious time off from DDO. After season 9 which was a soft-core season my friends and I have been discussing and hoping for a challenging season 10. Knowing that is more than a year away saddens me. I hope you reconsider and make season 10 in 2024.
My initial assumption was they just mean 1 of this years' seasons is being replaced but I don't see any seasons listed on the roadmap calendar so maybe they do mean the whole year. Can a dev clarify?

Jesku

How did any employee think players wanted an illithid event? Half the people didn't care or participate. I actively hoped to avoid anything illithid while playing during the event. But Hardcore sees huge numbers of players joining in. Dozens of groups, daily, spread across all levels. I think I saw 5 illithid groups during the event over the course of a week.

Ahpuch

EDs can definitely do with a rebalance. The current state of them has lead to any element not represented in draconic falling off a cliff in terms of use.
There's also a fact that Dragon Breath, Hunt's End and Adrenaline are so overwhelmingly superior to alternatives that many trees have little point offering epic strikes.
very much looking forward to seeing some changes that'll hopefully improve build diversity.
If they make changes that allow me to drop Adrenaline for an alternative in Shadow Dancer (without ruining Adrenaline for everyone), I will be happy.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
My initial assumption was they just mean 1 of this years' seasons is being replaced but I don't see any seasons listed on the roadmap calendar so maybe they do mean the whole year. Can a dev clarify?
From another thread:
At this time we currently do not have plans for a Hardcore season in 2024 outside of the one currently underway.

droid327

Yeah I haven't heard the devs grumbling about any EDs specifically, so I'm hoping they just tune up underperforming destinies to match the popular ones

That being said, MT gives us a view where they think EDs "should be" right now, and that didn't exactly blow up the meta when it came out...they seemed as concerned with what to name the epic moment as the actual mechanics and balance...

Eoin

Hopefully that lack of HC this year means you're kicking a lot of content for the year of the dragon and are resource constrained. Which would be a fair trade, though I do look forward to HC :(

rabidfox

The People's Champion
EDs can definitely do with a rebalance. The current state of them has lead to any element not represented in draconic falling off a cliff in terms of use.
There's also a fact that Dragon Breath, Hunt's End and Adrenaline are so overwhelmingly superior to alternatives that many trees have little point offering epic strikes.
very much looking forward to seeing some changes that'll hopefully improve build diversity.
I hope this means they fix certain abilities that are basically not worth spending points in. For example, chain healing in EA's T5 is a cool concept but if the target moves then it'll fail to land the heal (poor targeting + slow travel time with healing = dead party and thus a bad ability to take). There's plenty of things that are mechanically an issue or just don't hold up in actually gameplay in EDs vs alternatives. ICDs with Dark Imbuement make it very meh for a lot of builds; I'd probably be tempted to use it on my repeater if it actually effected all my bolts fired.

somenewnoob

For the ED pass how about making Sundering Swings in LD work with the epic strike trip and sunder?

That always made zero sense.

Maybe add something in LD to upgrade the trip/sunder from DC to the improved effect?

comfy

the comfortable
We plan to be at PAX East again this year, and more information about that will be announced soon.
Woo! 🥳 This was a blast last year. Once you are able to hint to the day(s) that activities will happen... the more further notice for travel planning, the better :)

Ellisaria

Thankfully that did not make me nervous because I could see no such comment in the producer's letter. Where did you see that?
Q1 of Roadmap. I don't disagree that ED's need a pass, but I'm hoping it'll focus more on bringing up the "underperformers" (I'd really like shadow dancer to have a place, personally) rather than obliterating/nuking the higher end from orbit.

Edrein

Any chance we can get a hint on the dragon themed archetype? Off the top of my head I can really only think of:
Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer and Way of the Ascending Dragon Monk.

Both of which, while neat, I feel like would ultimately end up stepping on the toes of Draconic Incarnation/Dragonborn.

Dunspartacus

Any chance we can get a hint on the dragon themed archetype? Off the top of my head I can really only think of:
Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer and Way of the Ascending Dragon Monk.

Both of which, while neat, I feel like would ultimately end up stepping on the toes of Draconic Incarnation/Dragonborn.
Honestly why not both? It's the year of the dragon afterall and both are cool idea. But yeah not sure how draconic sorc would behave different than draconic incarnation.