A Look at 2024, Year of the Dragon! - Producer's Letter

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
The above quote mentions 2 quest packs, but the image/roadmap says 3. Which is correct?
The Dynamic Event counts as an Adventure Pack (at least the quests that unlock because of it do).

Tolero's letter said "In addition to two quest packs this year and our Expansion, there will also be a Dynamic Event with quests to unlock."

Soulcial

Weekend Warrior
I mean I wouldn't mind a buff to Fatesinger, but for caster bards that tree is amazing, and it has some utility for melee bards as well, so not sure how it's underperfoming....the strike isn't that great after you hit 23-26 range, but it's decent when you first hit epic levels.
thats the funny thing about the tree, it has almost nothing fantastic about it, and yet it somehow ends up being a great tree. i think it's mostly due to its cores, epic moment, and cut the strings.

PaleFox

I’m still catching up on the thread but as best I can tell no one has guessed the first one (I’m still reading though so someone could have guessed deeper in the thread). You won’t have to wait too long though, it’ll be on Lamannia soon.

After being driven back so successfully, the Illithid’s are reconsidering their approach. They weren’t expecting your world to be as capable of deterring them. Unless their Elder Brain is defeated though, they are ultimately still a threat.
Sounds like one promising raid, an elder brain bypassing spell absorption and deathward.
Just make sure it's rays of death are properly announced visually. :)

mikarddo

thats the funny thing about the tree, it has almost nothing fantastic about it, and yet it somehow ends up being a great tree. i think it's mostly due to its cores, epic moment, and cut the strings.

Double damage from shouts is very nice as well. I would say core is very fantastic though.

Ying

5000+ hours played
think they have also said several times it was exclusive to xpack like most teleport items.
SSG has said numerous times they were working on putting in the store as a standalone item. Friday's livestream confirmed it.

Am I the only one excited at even the possibility of shadowdancer, magus and fatesinger trees getting improved? how about if they made the gmof tree not so vanilla?? what if DC felt a little bit better, does everyone remember zeal?? how about EA? can we use EA for something other than wings (and I guess heal aura?) one day??

it's pretty common sentiment that adrenaline is by far the best option for melees, but how about instead of just nerfing that, they improve other epic strikes? what if LD had an active ability in it's tree before level 30 that wasn't a broken dire charge??
WHAT IF... the fatesinger mantle wasn't the most awful mantle in the game by far?

let's try to be optimistic here. i know there is a lot of pessimism and "it's always just nerfs" sentiments but realistically there is a lot of room for improvement to epic destinies. it would be nice if they just FELT better. i sincerely hope we get some opportunities here to interact and brainstorm together in a constructive way.
Unfortunately there will be no brainstorming or constructive dialogue in the changes to Epic Destinies. Tolero already said and used hand gestures to further illustrate that some ED will be reduced while others will be elevated. Balance is by far not needed as each toon has a role in raids/quests and we can not ALL be casters, insta-killers, healers, rogues, primary DPS, and tanks all in one and be very strong at all those roles. I feel disappointed and let down by the game developers that they constantly change the Epic Destinies. This is just a game and the average player can not solo R1 quests and the average PUG can not complete R1 end game raids. There is absolutely no need for average players to envy players with better play styles and lots of past lives and good gear setup for their build. And there is no need for further reduction in ED that have already lost so much in Update 51. I am extremely sad that the Producer's Letter did not mention ED Balance but have made it a strong bullet point in Q1 and have stressed that it is absolutely needed. This is the most stressful part of this game and makes me want to quit.

I sincerely hope there is no negative Balance to the ED and that they finally fix things that have Tickets in that are broken like Cruelty of Evil in GMoF does not give +1, +2, +3 sneak damage, only the attack part. It is sad that GMoF does not even get a sneak dice but Monks get no love anyways.

We can stay optimistic. But doubtful since Tolero already said it is coming...the N### word we should not use.

Weslok

I dunno, when I told my group about the letter contents, they mostly shrugged. New quests they liked, the raid is meaningless to us of course, but they are premium so not sure if the new quests will be free or not. ED changes are meaningless to us so noone cared. New races, archtypes etc. no one cares about either as we have barely played those that are avilable.

The new night revels quest should be fun!

And hahaha; at first, they didn't believe that there would be no more HC until 2025 (at best). They would rather have HC grouping to muck around in as everyone is mostly at the same level (barring game knowledge) and even we can contribute to the group completing a quest. Really it is that, simply because HC PUGs are not intimidating like regular servers pugs where everyone has multiple lives, gear, seems to know the game completely, and sometimes even get upset/yelling because of some 10 sec delay you caused since turned left instead of take some unknown shortcut (that everyone knows of course---like gods save me when I broke the jumping crate in Ringleader many many years ago!) and cost them precious time on the XP pots or whatever. Ahem. You can ignore that rant.

The year of the dragon stuff sounded interesting to use but who knows what that means? It it is more cosmetics, I don't honestly care much unless they are super-cool but they are somewhat intested in what the monthly stuff will be.

As for the replacement for HC with a "...Dynamic Event will be inclusive of all character levels...", well noone in my groups, including me, believes that! "What color will the sky be this time?" was the basic response. :)

There is just no way the PUG grouping for this new event will be anything like those on any HC! Oh sure there will be pugs in the Social panel for whatever, like find the thingy or kill the baddie or whatever the quest is, but those will be filled with triple-complete, 500 past life, reaper 37, groups all fully geared out. Soooo even if I join, Im just a soul stone or lost in the backwash of Khyber folks. Or worse, an actual hinderence to the group getting it's goal done vs. them having another 100 past life player help them.

I'm exaggerating, but how is a first life toon, with no "real"gear,no reaper points, etc. etc. is going to keep up with even an average group on Kyber? lol. I mean, they can babysit but why spoil their fun with that?
I have no problem with under-geared or under-experienced players joining my pugs... Some of us don't mind giving people a leg up while we play... I don't consider it babysitting...

PaleFox

I’m still catching up on the thread but as best I can tell no one has guessed the first one (I’m still reading though so someone could have guessed deeper in the thread). You won’t have to wait too long though, it’ll be on Lamannia soon.

After being driven back so successfully, the Illithid’s are reconsidering their approach. They weren’t expecting your world to be as capable of deterring them. Unless their Elder Brain is defeated though, they are ultimately still a threat.
Sounds like one promising raid, an elder brain bypassing spell absorption and deathward.
Just make sure it's rays of death are properly announced visually. :)
SSG has said numerous times they were working on putting in the store as a standalone item. Friday's livestream confirmed it.
I you're both right, first it was an answer amongst the lines of "we can't do that", then it went from "we're looking into it" to "we're working on it" and now it's back to "ow, there's more to teleportation than we thought."

Cordovan

Community Manager
I remember the same- planescape was voted and I was really excited about that- because wizards has freshly presented it for 5ed- Myth drannor would have been my second vote... would like to know if planescape is canceled or just moved?

Thanks
Tarinia
That survey should not be taken as a road map for future plans. It was, however, very insightful to help us know which of the choices you were excited for, and quite a few results got high scores. It also helps us as we consider what to do in the future. But it's not a formal to-do list.
Hey all,

I just can't seem to stay away from a mystery.... for those trying to solve.. the background image used in today's Fridays @ 4... seems like a huge hint! 3 characters, each a different type.... with possibly some very telling equipment. And it wouldn't be the first time they dropped a hint in the live stream.

A sword and shield melee decked out in silver dragonscale equipment.
A thf warrior (likely the barbarian sev dropped hints on last year).
And archer of some kind.

Don't recognize every peice of equipment. beyond what the tank is wearing and the barb's founder's helm, but stuff looks familiar.

The melee in particular... dragon themed... could be a trick but I'd guess that's supposed to be a tower shield... which probably tells us the class. ;)

image.png
Sorry, coincidence. It was simply the most recent image file I had loaded up in my stream software, and looked decent enough?

Elminster

Had a guildie tell me of a rumor of going straight to 40 not 34... Any truth to this?

It was said in Cord's Friday's at Four that the new level cap will be 34. I can't think of a reason why they would jump to 40 as if I were a for-profit company I will milk every last drop of each level with expansion, gear, and T-shirts.

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
Had a guildie tell me of a rumor of going straight to 40 not 34... Any truth to this?
No - They are going to 34. It's in the producer's letter.

Specifically its in the paragraph of text about the expansion. Tolero said "By popular demand, our next major Expansion in the summer will take place in a fan favorite D&D location: Myth Drannor! It is among the more infamous places in the Forgotten Realms and we’re very excited to bring it to life! The level cap will increase to 34, and I’m looking forward to one of Myth Drannor’s hallmarks: Wild Magic areas."

They have mentioned a few times that they plan for a full expansion every other year and those ones will raise the cap. So each even numbered year will raise the cap. Probably by 2 each time.

Elminster

Also it's %1,000,000 going to be a Rogue archetype.

I already called it as Rogue. It will be a Dragon-themed Rogue archetype. My guess, Shadow Dragon Something something...

8cj6a3.jpg

droid327

Aww I was kinda hoping we might an actual, properly-realized S&B fighter archetype, with the right bonuses to actually make shielding worth the opportunity cost

Elminster

Aww I was kinda hoping we might an actual, properly-realized S&B fighter archetype, with the right bonuses to actually make shielding worth the opportunity cost
Honestly, think the further put off an archetype it is, the better. If you notice each iteration of an archetype came with greater and greater power increases (sure some nerfing toward the end but still..) and shields needs all the power bump it can get.