A Message to Our Players From SSG

Sylvado

Another update for everyone. The game worlds are still open, but the store will need an extended maintenance window due to an issue when applying the additional VIP time to accounts. The store is now expected to be down until 4:00 PM Eastern. We will be making another attempt shortly and will let everyone know as soon as we can.
This was my concern about extending VIP time. It wasn't worth and resource time to do it. People are working on extending VIP time instead of other game issues and enhancements.

Sylvado

Yes because by extended will you also be pushing our 500 monthly ddo points back two days?? Everyone keep am eye out in your history tracker to make sure these dont get bugged out somehow.
It never ends, the game is up and running stop nitpicking.

The Narc

It never ends, the game is up and running stop nitpicking.
Lol stop nitpicking? I am sure everyone is happy to be reminded to check and make sure their monthly 500 VIP points dont go missing with these days being added.

Lol stop paladining!

Offset

I do not think much of this compensation.

A reasonable gesture would have been a BtA or BtC Otto's Box with a limited window of availability. Wouldn't cost you any revenue to make them. The people like me who purchase them regularly, will continue to do so. The folks who never purchase them, may do so in the future.

Either way, the compensation you came up with is like $.66 worth of VIP credit...and I don't know when it would ever be applied because the only time a VIP stops their subscription is when they leave the game anyway.

I've used XP pots and that's fun & all but hardly equals lost play time from this outage.

The overall feeling of this 'gesture' does not leave me feeling great. Any compensation you give out, won't cost you any real money - so why offer something that could be purchased with $1.50 and a pack of smokes?
You have made a base assumption that is false: It does cost SSG IRL to give free Ottos, as those who have the funds now would lose the motive as the opportunity cost went to zero, and they are free to spend it elsewhere. IIRC, Otto's all start around 20 or 30 dollars. Methinks that your numbers do not add up and maybe you do not understand the basics of supply and demand. Google "Opportunity Cost".

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Guntango

You have made a base assumption that is false: It does cost SSG IRL to give free Ottos, as those who have the funds now would lose the motive as the opportunity cost went to zero, and they are free to spend it elsewhere. IIRC, Otto's all start around 20 or 30 dollars. Methinks that your numbers do not add up and maybe you do not understand the basics of supply and demand. Google "Opportunity Cost".
No.

They cost SSG nothing. Otto plops them out, washes them off and gives them to SSG to sell or give away.

Br4d

Giving anybody *one* Otto's stone at some point is a great marketing device. Odds are they won't be a box buyer but once they've gone through the process once and realize how much time it saves there's a chance they'll want to do it again.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Giving anybody *one* Otto's stone at some point is a great marketing device. Odds are they won't be a box buyer but once they've gone through the process once and realize how much time it saves there's a chance they'll want to do it again.
Isn't that what the Dread bundles were all about? Giving us a taste? I never used a box before Dread. Have bought 2(?) since then.

gringofoot

As I said, this is not economics. This is PR and reputation management. The people who already purchase Otto's Boxes will continue to do so in the future. One free Otto's does not eliminate the need for additionals in the future. The people who have never purchased an Otto's - many of them never will and some will like the experience enough to purchase in the future.

Regardless, your critique of my math ignores that an unplanned failure led to a platform-wide service outage. The issue is not one of precise financial calculations of item worth scaled to outage time. The issue is one of a customer base either feeling like they are valued, cared about and deliberately sought as customers in the face of the service provider's failings.

Supply and demand are not what is at stake. Service, response and customer engagement are at the center of what I am talking about.

Feel free to give me some other smug response and defend SSG in this forum thread. Even if you use all caps, it won't get you an extra cookie from SSG and it won't change the missed opportunity that SSG had to engage the customer base and flip the script on how they respond to their own mistakes.

Frostthorn

I seldom post / read the forums but I was looking through these. I'm VIP during Hardcore. Other times F2P.

I also work in IT and in the early 2000's I had to take a couple years in customer support (due to outsourcing) and let me tell you a severity 1 outage on a holiday weekend is everybody's worst nightmare. The 2 things customers ALWAYS wanted to know were:
1) The reason for the outage.
2) What are you doing to prevent this happening in the future.
And invariably the management never wanted to share the details. I have always thought that was a mistake (maybe because I was a programmer). The times we did just state the problem the customers were like "Okay" and let it go. Otherwise they just kept asking questions. I think SSG would benefit from just telling folks what happened.

I'm stating the obvious here but the player base that WAS patient and understanding ALSO don't post to forums. So yeah the forums are going to be a skewed view. What I do like however is that people are passionate about the game.

As to the player appreciation / compensation bonuses - They seem fair, but they did not make me say "Wow". mostly they seemed aimed at replacement of what would have been available during that outage (the time, the gold rolls, the +20% guild renown that was in effect that weekend) . Nice but no "Wow" factor.

Hawk

So you just said the outage was not under their control (in different words)...WHY should there be ANY compensation other than adding 2 days to VIP memberships?

There's people who buy lots of $100 of DDO points without VIP. Why should only VIPs get comp? They're paying customers too, who need to feel appreciated for their business.

People like you just don't see the "big picture" either.

A good compensation for unusually long downtime is a GESTURE OF GOODWILL. Is it required? Of course not, but it would be stupid for a game company to not act on it to entice players back.

I'll explain it in simple terms: The big picture means that customers (gamers) are happy. Happy people who want to log in, play the game more. More people online means people who like to group up are happier. More items on the auction house (which is dead now) = happy players. More LFMs = happy players. More "fun" bonuses to use = happy players. Happy players = buying more DDO points (or VIP.)

And guess what... there's lots of players around who are "on the fence." The slightest thing will make them say "meh, this week's bonuses suck, and the compensation was pathetic. I'll go play another game instead." And if they find a fun game, some may never return. The DDO population is already low enough.

(and yes, I think Ottos is too much to ask for - but the current compensation feels like a kick in the face. "log in when we tell you, and you get partial compensation that doesn't even help half the players.")

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
First, I acknowledge the efforts of the Standing Stone Games team over the weekend and appreciate them. We all understand that unexpected work calls suck. However, let's not pretend this was charity; it's a job for which they are compensated.

As for those attacking other players who are dissatisfied with the apology bonuses/gifts, it is poor taste. Several in this thread have voiced approval of SSG's efforts without resulting to attacking others. Expressing dissatisfaction with the compensation provided isn't inherently selfish or ungrateful; it a valid opinion.

While I originally was okay with the bonuses but disappointment with the short time frame, I can no longer say that after seeing what the LOTRO player base received. Critiquing the discrepancy in compensation between DDO and LOTRO isn't an act of greed; it's a reasonable observation. Players in both games experienced equal downtimes, so it's understandable that they would expect equitable apology gifts and bonuses. LOTRO players have 5 days to take advantage of the xp bonus AND receive a free mount from the in game store (1500-2500 points). To me, this is a significant disparity.

If you genuinely believe that SSG's response was satisfactory and deserving of praise, that's fantastic. However, attacking players who hold a different viewpoint only serves to stifle constructive dialogue. Let's foster an environment where all opinions are respected, and where feedback can help improve the overall gaming experience for everyone.

EDIT: Apparently the free mount is a box selection and not any mount from the store. Thanks @GrindFlayer for the correction.
First, you need to learn humor/sarcasm vs. attacking. Second, learn what Pot calling the kettle black means.

cmgamer

It was a decent peace offering but a few xp pots would have been a helpful item. I would much rather have the answer to WHY this happened which means they can work on preventing it in the future. This is two holiday weekends in a row which is time players really look forward to some game time. That is why we are pissed. So do you know what happened????

Br4d

It was a decent peace offering but a few xp pots would have been a helpful item. I would much rather have the answer to WHY this happened which means they can work on preventing it in the future. This is two holiday weekends in a row which is time players really look forward to some game time. That is why we are pissed. So do you know what happened????

XP pots would be a poor reward in my opinion. I hate playing with a pot running. I like the extra XP but I hate having something ticking while I am playing the game.

A pot that gives +30% XP for the next 10 quests is preferable to a pot that last for 3 hours.

Cmecu

Thats it?....
lol what do you want ? A gold Bouillon? Them compensating 2 days is fair, but they are adding more stuff
  • VIP Daily Gold Rolls are extended to April 26th.
  • All VIPs will receive 2 additional days of VIP status to compensate for the downtime. (Changes will be happening shortley. We will confirm when they are implemented.)
  • To further show our gratitude, we are offering the following from April 5th through April 7th:
    • +25% Heroic and Epic XP Boost.
    • +25% Guild Renown.
    • +10 Treasure Hunter Boost.

guild renown is meh.. but xp heroic is nice, and the treasure hunter boost.. daily gold rolls and 2 extra days of VIP back to us. What more do you think they should give? Dont get me wrong, I would prefer a gold bouillon also, but I will take these as compensation :D

Cmecu

I agree with those who've suggested that any recompense should also include XP, renown potions, and treasure hunter elixirs, so that folks can use them in a similar manner to a planned period of DDO time; say, over a weekend where they had some free time - but through no fault of their own - weren't able to access the game.

Doing it like this, just miffs those who have plans for this weekend, and now are going to feel like they missed out for a second time. Not good.

---------------

More than any of that though...

I would appreciate some clarity from SSG as to what actually went wrong. Why it occured. And what they are doing to ensure it never happens again. Not every possible data center issue can be forever eliminated, of course. But many of them can be mitigated, with sufficient preparation and dedication.

And lastly:

Thanks to those who had their holiday weekend interrupted, while they worked on resolving the issues.

never happen again? There is no way to ensure that. No one ever knows when hardware is going to go down.
Now companies like Blizzard, or Amazon, or the other really big boys have the money to have back plans ready to go at a moments notice. SSG doesnt have those kinds of resources.

Br4d

never happen again? There is no way to ensure that. No one ever knows when hardware is going to go down.
Now companies like Blizzard, or Amazon, or the other really big boys have the money to have back plans ready to go at a moments notice. SSG doesnt have those kinds of resources.

100%. 24/7 uptime is very expensive. What we have with DDO is a semblance of that plan with a weekly break to restart the servers and a hope and a prayer on duration of unplanned down time when it occurs.