Are Rogues Just Bad?

Are Rogues just a bad class that's seriously outdated from stealth changes to how damage is scaled?

• Yes. It's commonly known Rogues need a rework.

• No, Rogues are fine. Stop complaining.

Results are only viewable after voting.

saekee

long live ROGUE
As classes get homogenized with massive buffs from EDs, PLs, gear etc rogue brings massive sneak die damage, dodge clickie, evasion, great skills and trapping.

I don’t know how to play a non-assassin at this point. I feel like an adolescent playing other classes.

Elminster

How do they play in terms of DPS? I feel like people de-select them from raids? Do you feel stealth mechanics then need a re-work?

saekee

long live ROGUE
How do they play in terms of DPS? I feel like people de-select them from raids? Do you feel stealth mechanics then need a re-work?
Stealth suffers from reaper autodetect (the weaker reapers; the upper tier do not) and quest design (life-shielded progression, bloated red-named fights, oozes wierdly co-habitung so as to detect you etc), and faulty mechanics (they will mysteriously know where to find you). Stealth benefits from quest design too: inactive mobs especially (Spiders and Flies, for example—you can walk around ettercaps in sneak and they remain inactive, similar to earth elementals, sitting harpies etc). There are unintended stealth buffs; From the Shadows in SD and any proc like invisibility guard just seems to make mobs jump around in a stupid tizzy.

I could solo every quest on R10 if not for the red-named boss. Even with every clicky going with dodge etc my toon cannot drop them fast enough.

Raids are a mixed bag for assassins. Mine shines in Project Nemesis, Vision of Destruction, Chrono, Baba etc—essentially raids where you can actually assassinate, whereas constant beatdowns like Skeletons, I find I struggle. That is just my experience. I am sure there are better assassin players with more PLs and better gear that can take hits better, eg Tronko’s endgame assassin posted a while ago.

Finally there are attacks that do not break stealth other than assassinate; an unintended boon that is a lot of fun combined with adrenaline. I can bluff pull some reapers and drop them
in full sight while remaining undetected. It is slow but fun.

PraetorPlato

Pure assassin is excellent DPS. It, along with 11/8/1 wolf, and a few others, are good examples of evergreen DPS builds that will always be solid, viable, DPS builds, even if they're not always tip-top depending on the month.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Just a note that stealthplay and assassin solo is a long study in itself, not for everyone who likes this game as a math equation or running with a group that just steamrolls R10 for reaper pt accumulation.

If you want to have a challenge, check out the old forums of ROGUE proving grounds and try them. I setup part QUATRE and had a great time. We had some old stealth afficionados participate and they posted videos.

Maybe I will do an R10 ROGUE 5.

Blunt Hackett

Sneak is meh. Being able to open locks and disable traps is awesome. Having tons of Int and dex is awesome.

I loved my rogue life. I imagine they aren't as useful in mid to high reaper though.

Elminster

Thing with assassin is, I feel like they should be the ones to do the 1,000,000+ damage per single hit. But it's like a Barb with Greataxe.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
I just played a pure rogue twice, once as TA and once as assassin. Both were awesome and great fun to level. At cap two of my guildies plays rogue (one pewpew and one assassin), they do very well with it. So I don't really see any glaring issues personally.

Reactions: DBZ

Ptalon

I loved my Assassin before Epics came along.

I find them squishy.
Seems the devs keep putting red named monsters everywhere these days.
Reapers and some champs I think, just seem to auto-spot me no matter what.
Changes in agro means if one monster spots you everything spots you too. (not quite, but basically true.)
Also seems that single pulling monsters by any method doesn't usually work anymore.

Then there is just the fact that a lot of builds can clear a room super fast. So even running Invis with super striding doesn't allow a Rogue to contribute much in the kills.

I hate being a trap monkey.
But you can be a sneaky trap monkey in several raids.
But what fun is that?