DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Guntango

Who of you forumites complaining about the downtime and asking for Otto Boxes and such would EVER work while on a holiday weekend, let alone an actual VACATION???

Kudos to you Cordo, and the rest of the SSG team. :)
Relax, a lot of people work weekends and holidays. That's why, when someone who works a lot actually has some time off and they plan to play a bit of their favorite game, it's a bummer when their favorite game isn't available and can't say when it's going to be. And that's why it would be neato if the favorite game handed out some free goodwill as a thank you for being a loyal gaming family and paying their salaries.

Nothing to white knight over, no one is getting hurt here.

Hobgoblin

They don't have to, and if we keep bleeping about it they may decide they're not going to so why doesn't everybody just shut their traps and take the free stuff?

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Guntango

They don't have to, and if we keep bleeping about it they may decide they're not going to so why doesn't everybody just shut their traps and take the free stuff?
You are 1000% right, they do not have to.

Will it garner goodwill? Yes. Would it be smart for a company that has failed to provide service to give out virtual loot for real-life returns by way of customer satisfaction, repeat purchases, word-of-mouth, retention rate, and lifetime value? Abso-*******-lutely.

Do they have to? No.

EDIT: It's also a best practice to explain the reason for the service failure and how you will prevent it from happening again. I haven't seen that yet, either.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Sometimes companies don't like to show their naughty bits (weak spots) which I get.
I really don't expect a write-up on how their hardware 💩 the bed or how a monkey with an AK-47 got loose in their network closet.

Sylvado

Who of you forumites complaining about the downtime and asking for Otto Boxes and such would EVER work while on a holiday weekend, let alone an actual VACATION???

Well I am not complaining but I have worked a lot of holidays, including christmas

Sylvado

You are 1000% right, they do not have to.

Will it garner goodwill? Yes. Would it be smart for a company that has failed to provide service to give out virtual loot for real-life returns by way of customer satisfaction, repeat purchases, word-of-mouth, retention rate, and lifetime value? Abso-*******-lutely.

Do they have to? No.

EDIT: It's also a best practice to explain the reason for the service failure and how you will prevent it from happening again. I haven't seen that yet, either.
You or I do not deserve an explanation of the failure.

Sylvado

More important than the gold roll is to extend the subscription for two days since you have not provided service for two days. Turbine always did this, I don't understand why you guys don't do it.
Well you got your 54 cents, don't waste it all in one place.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Buddha5440

Well I am not complaining but I have worked a lot of holidays, including christmas
Working on a holiday if you are scheduled to work on it is a completely different thing compared to coming in on your day off or telecommuting while on vacation.

Sylvado

Working on a holiday if you are scheduled to work on it is a completely different thing compared to coming in on your day off or telecommuting while on vacation.
I wasn't counting scheduled time, actually I owned a newspaper distribution business that I did part time before my other work, that was 365 days a year. I am talking about getting a call because a system is down.

Owlbear

We'd like to apologize for the unplanned downtime that occurred this weekend due to an outage at our data center. Our engineering and IT teams worked diligently throughout the weekend to resolve the issues, and we're pleased to report that the problems have been fixed.

We recognize the significance of this outage, especially over a holiday weekend, and we're truly sorry for any inconvenience it caused. To show our appreciation for your patience and support, we're announcing the following to our players:

• VIP Daily Gold Rolls are extended to April 26th.
  • All VIPs will receive 2 additional days of VIP status to compensate for the downtime. (Changes will take effect on Wednesday, April 3rd. We will confirm when they are implemented.)
  • To further show our gratitude, we are offering the following from April 5th through April 7th:
    • +25% Heroic and Epic XP Boost.
    • +25% Guild Renown.
    • +10 Treasure Hunter Boost.
We deeply appreciate your understanding and continued support. Thank you for being a part of our community and we’ll see you in game!

Lazuli

Well you got your 54 cents, don't waste it all in one place.
It won't affect me, but it is a basic business practice. If you don't provide a service, you don't charge for it. If you fail to provide a service, you repair the error by providing the service when you can. I work in a laboratory. If an analysis goes wrong, we don't say "sorry, it went wrong, you're left without your results." No, we do another analysis without charging the client and we give the results as soon as we can.

SSG has a serious public relations problem. Their unpopularity has grown too much in recent years. What they can do best is adopt good business practices that respect their customers. Regaining the good will of their customers is the first step to growing income. The opposite does not lead to anything good.

Turbine automatically extended VIP subscriptions. It was a sign of respect for their clients. It's good that SSG is starting to develop good business practices as well. They can't excuse themselves forever by being a small company.

Seldarin

I do on a regular basis, its called being on call as part of a support team. When stuff breaks, it doesnt matter if we are on a holiday weekend, we are on call, full stop. And there have been times, when i have been on days off and responded to work situations. Maybe i am a lone hand in this.