DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

shmagmhar

I have a ton of dwarven forge pieces. I however, am working at the moment. If you want to wait 8 hours, I could spin up a roll20 or something!

Seems like we might be out like a Great Blizzard for a few days.
I normally use owlbear rodeo and discord to play D&D online.

Guntango

This is fiscal irresponsibility.
Here’s one use of fiscal responsibility:
Under fiscal responsibility, governments limit their spending to avoid transitioning to fiscal irresponsibility. Under fiscal irresponsibility, governments spend excessively and precipitate crises that lead to the reinstatement of fiscal responsibility. Regime transitions can only occur if governments’ deficit bias is large enough.

Here’s another:
5 signs that you may be financially irresponsible:
  • Paying your bills after the payment due date.
  • Missing your credit card or loan payments altogether.
  • Relying on overtime to cover your debt related expenses.
  • Borrowing from family members to make your monthly debt payments.
  • Skipping one credit card bill to pay another.

How‘s that apply to servers blowing up exactly?

Justfungus

Is it broke ? yes
Bad ? yes
Is the company obligated to tell us exactly what happened? no
Will they give us an ETA until they know with some certainty it is fixed? no
Do they feel bad about keeping us in the dark? no, it is a for profit company
Are they responsible for this break in service? yes, in an overall sense
What was the root cause? If it was not them, they will tell us eventually. If it was them, they will lie about it.
Will complaining here make them feel bad? no, it is a for profit company.

Baneman

Well I see that there is still an outage. What is everyone doing in the meantime? Any shows you're catching up on? Any other games? Me, I am re-watching Big Bang Theory for the 4th time. Until the new seasons of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and The Bookie come back on.

Whats good to watch?
The IPL is on, so this weekend has not been lost to me.
The standard of the cricket is superb as always. (y)
( off to watch another game right now )

liosliante

Is it broke ? yes
Bad ? yes
What was the root cause? If it was not them, they will tell us eventually. If it was them, they will lie about it.
What?

Toede

Is it broke ? yes
Bad ? yes
All true.

Daemos

Sooooooo, about 600 or so posts upriver, I talked about what I did rather than play DDO. I forgot to mention that I started something out of boredom that I never did before. It was finished today and tastes quite good. For a 2 1/2 day requirement of sit-around-and-do-nothing on the counter, not bad:

Well I see that there is still an outage. What is everyone doing in the meantime? Any shows you're catching up on? Any other games? Me, I am re-watching Big Bang Theory for the 4th time. Until the new seasons of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and The Bookie come back on.

Whats good to watch?
We finished watching Three-Body Problem during these two days, which was quite good.

Shardrena

If my post makes you mad and you want to punch me in the mouth then go ahead if it makes you feel better. Just buy me a beer afterwards and we're cool.

Mad? I've been (mostly) finding the thread amusing. To me, it's been a side diversion while I do other stuff. You know, throw it up on the 2nd monitor while I play City of Heroes or browse other forums/read fanfiction, put it on my main monitor while I play a Gamecube game, that sort of thing.

It's also more then a little disappointing how fast so dang many people went to claiming the community manager is gaslighting everyone, or how SSG is somehow intentionally ripping people off with this. Or the repeated claims of "no communication" even as people flood the communication thread and drown out any news. While also claiming the news is a lie. The jokes got repetitive, but were mildly amusing. And I got a chuckle from some of the light hearted "I have to interact with family" complaints. But the thread has mostly just become kind of sad now as so many people have apparently lost their mind.

What frustrates me is that calls for patience and recognizing that MMOs have and will always have unexpected downtime for reasons which can't be controlled get unilateral claims that I'm a "fanboy", "shill", "boot licker" and other such insults. Even as calls to action are made demanding that the people who've spent the last 48 hours working round the clock to try fixing things be "held accountable".

I mean, really? My thought is that if someone (not saying you specifically) honestly thinks the company is mismanaged and deserves to be punished... Why not just walk away? The greatest punishment a company can receive is the loss of your business. If someone feels they aren't getting their money's worth, then just quietly stop being a customer. But that's just my 2 copper.

Toede

Sooooooo, about 600 or so posts upriver, I talked about what I did rather than play DDO. I forgot to mention that I started something out of boredom that I never did before. It was finished today and tastes quite good. For a 2 1/2 day requirement of sit-around-and-do-nothing on the counter, not bad:

Sounds delicious.

Toede

Mad? I've been (mostly) finding the thread amusing. To me, it's been a side diversion while I do other stuff. You know, throw it up on the 2nd monitor while I play City of Heroes or browse other forums/read fanfiction, put it on my main monitor while I play a Gamecube game, that sort of thing.

It's also more then a little disappointing how fast so dang many people went to claiming the community manager is gaslighting everyone, or how SSG is somehow intentionally ripping people off with this. Or the repeated claims of "no communication" even as people flood the communication thread and drown out any news. While also claiming the news is a lie. The jokes got repetitive, but were mildly amusing. And I got a chuckle from some of the light hearted "I have to interact with family" complaints. But the thread has mostly just become kind of sad now as so many people have apparently lost their mind.

What frustrates me is that calls for patience and recognizing that MMOs have and will always have unexpected downtime for reasons which can't be controlled get unilateral claims that I'm a "fanboy", "shill", "boot licker" and other such insults. Even as calls to action are made demanding that the people who've spent the last 48 hours working round the clock to try fixing things be "held accountable".

I mean, really? My thought is that if someone (not saying you specifically) honestly thinks the company is mismanaged and deserves to be punished... Why not just walk away? The greatest punishment a company can receive is the loss of your business. If someone feels they aren't getting their money's worth, then just quietly stop being a customer. But that's just my 2 copper.

That last part was more a general comment on my sentiments of people disagreeing with me.

Scrag

Here’s one use of fiscal responsibility:
Under fiscal responsibility, governments limit their spending to avoid transitioning to fiscal irresponsibility. Under fiscal irresponsibility, governments spend excessively and precipitate crises that lead to the reinstatement of fiscal responsibility. Regime transitions can only occur if governments’ deficit bias is large enough.

Here’s another:
5 signs that you may be financially irresponsible:
  • Paying your bills after the payment due date.
  • Missing your credit card or loan payments altogether.
  • Relying on overtime to cover your debt related expenses.
  • Borrowing from family members to make your monthly debt payments.
  • Skipping one credit card bill to pay another.

How‘s that apply to servers blowing up exactly?

You missed the joke.

Back when we had daily gold rolls (last year?) leadership announced it was Fiscally Irresponsible (their choice of words not mine), and that they would not be doing gold rolls like that again.

Leadership I assume felt too much money was lost by having these daily gold rolls and, in standard SSG format, overreacted.

Under that thinking, they are costing their pocket book, just like they did with daily gold rolls, and very possibly the year of the dragon (TRULY free stuff, not trial and dont forget to click), and the all adventures for free code.

If you cant access the server, thats less days with free stuff, and creeps you closer to chasing that sweet sweet $10 USD or so to purchase freds date adventure pack. :|

I bet their response to the outage is like, 1 pot of lesser slayer, because hey, can't actually entice players, that costs their pocketbook!

liosliante

Really nice. I have to try it!!