Downtime Notice: Thursday, May 25th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT)

T.O.

I have never had any problems finding traps (they go off) most I survive, sometimes the floor fall out under me never needed an icon for any of that. Hidden doors usually have a chest that needs a bell to open and the loot in them is not worth the bell. better to stay hidden. If they are going to keep the insisting on using these icons. We players should be able to turn them on/off.
If skills are high enough then there should be a dm que that that you found something. It's a skill check. The execution of the new system needed some fine tuning.

LuxProcedens

If skills are high enough then there should be a dm que that that you found something. It's a skill check. The execution of the new system needed some fine tuning.
I like the fact that if you have a high enough spot skill, you detect a hidden door or trap area. The new icons just kind of destroy the point in having the skill, if every player has a big exclamation point above their head.

BUT, just like in a game of DND, if a rogue spots a trap, you say something. Its not info that the whole party would know unless that person says something. We have a chatbox for a reason, you spot a trap, say it. You find a door, say it.

It is quite absurd for the whole party to get a loud alert and overhead popups when they wouldnt actually detect either. SSG just further dumbing down the game mechanics so a toddler can play it.

dunklezhan

Was fine with the trap/door alerts being as they were, happy & expected for them to be refined (which was always likely to include them being toned down) also.

But the priority does need to be a personal toggle for the party at large to see/hear these alerts. Please.

T.O.

I like the fact that if you have a high enough spot skill, you detect a hidden door or trap area. The new icons just kind of destroy the point in having the skill, if every player has a big exclamation point above their head.
Not everyone. With not enough skills in spot. My current build will not see a thing after heroics, where skill checks are lower.

Volarr

If my skills are high enough to detect traps and hidden doors why should you be able to use my skills to see that door or trap... I have worked hard and spent my time and money to be able to do so why should anyone be able to see anything because of my skills, they are my skills after all.

LuxProcedens

If my skills are high enough to detect traps and hidden doors why should you be able to use my skills to see that door or trap... I have worked hard and spent my time and money to be able to do so why should anyone be able to see anything because of my skills, they are my skills after all.
ya, i see this as the biggest issue. it should stay MY popup, not the party's popup.

it just takes away some of the roleplaying and DND aspects

T.O.

I agree on that. I don't want to hear or see the other characters dm ques.

Last edited:

Volarr

There are 20 skills, tomes to get to +5 (20x5=100 per character) very few you can get for plat most cost an average of 30 shards (100x25=3000 shards) I have 7 playing characters on this account (3000x7=21,000 shards) personally i think there ripping me off by allowing others to use my skills or ability's

Frantik

Your argument is selfish and ill-thought out; if you solo a quest, then nobody else benefits (and they don't need to) but if you are in a party, then your reasoning flies in the face of the concept of multi-player cooperation, which you have agreed to participate in by being in a group. Sure, they are your skills, but conversely if you are dying in a party, you would want help such as healing... imagine if the healer let you die and then wrote in chat "tough, these healing abilities are my abilities after all". That wouldn't be very nice, would it? DnD and DDO promote group questing for a reason. Being selfish about it does you no credit.

EDIT: in a purely RP context, if the party trapper spotted a danger, they would [normally] alert the group; the idea of being useful. The new icons/sounds enables such party communication.

Last edited:

LuxProcedens

Your argument is selfish and ill-thought out; if you solo a quest, then nobody else benefits (and they don't need to) but if you are in a party, then your reasoning flies in the face of the concept of multi-player cooperation, which you have agreed to participate in by being in a group. Sure, they are your skills, but surely if you are dying in a party you would want help such as healing... imagine if the healer let you die and then wrote in chat "tough, these healing abilities are my abilities after all". DnD and DDO promote group questing for a reason. Being selfish about it does you no credit.
except, from a gameplay pov, your statement makes no sense. Yes it is a multiplayer game, but it is individual skills based, just like PnP. The entire party shouldnt get a trap alert when the rogue detects a trap, as thats not how it works lol.

you compare spell casting with passive skills, which also makes no sense.

ONLY YOUR CHARACTER should get an alert that is based off of a passive skill, or it makes no sense for most people to invest into those skills and negates the purpose of said skills.

Frantik

except, from a gameplay pov, your statement makes no sense. Yes it is a multiplayer game, but it is individual skills based, just like PnP. The entire party shouldnt get a trap alert when the rogue detects a trap, as thats not how it works lol.

ONLY YOUR CHARACTER should get an alert that is based off of a passive skill, or it makes no sense for most people to invest into those skills and negates the purpose of said skills.
YOUR LAST COMMENT is also illogical; I agree that DDO is generally a mixture of solo and group questing, so when I solo a quest, I know I will need some spotting/detection skills. Sure, some players know the location and type of most if not all traps and dangers, but not everybody is like that, certainly not me. To solo effectively, you need to avoid stuff sometimes, or have enough health to take any punishment, but I think most of us will continue to invest into passive skills where we can.

Volarr

Your argument is selfish and ill-thought out; if you solo a quest, then nobody else benefits (and they don't need to) but if you are in a party, then your reasoning flies in the face of the concept of multi-player cooperation, which you have agreed to participate in by being in a group. Sure, they are your skills, but conversely if you are dying in a party, you would want help such as healing... imagine if the healer let you die and then wrote in chat "tough, these healing abilities are my abilities after all". That wouldn't be very nice, would it? DnD and DDO promote group questing for a reason. Being selfish about it does you no credit.

EDIT: in a purely RP context, if the party trapper spotted a danger, they would [normally] alert the group; the idea of being useful. The new icons/sounds enables such party communication.
When in a quest and I find a door no one else can I'll open it for others and they freely benefit from the skills I earned. your stating you want to train nothing and gain everthing others worked for that is selfish

rabidfox

The People's Champion
When in a quest and I find a door no one else can I'll open it for others and they freely benefit from the skills I earned. your stating you want to train nothing and gain everthing others worked for that is selfish
IIRC when using a rest shrine, it calculates HP restored based off the highest heal skill of nearby party members; so one's skill aiding another person without points in a skill isn't something new for the game.

LuxProcedens

YOUR LAST COMMENT is also illogical; I agree that DDO is generally a mixture of solo and group questing, so when I solo a quest, I know I will need some spotting/detection skills. Sure, some players know the location and type of most if not all traps and dangers, but not everybody is like that, certainly not me. To solo effectively, you need to avoid stuff sometimes, or have enough health to take any punishment, but I think most of us will continue to invest into passive skills where we can.
DONT SOLO if you do not have a thoroughly well-rounded character. If your character does not have the skillset to detect doors or traps, then you shouldnt be able to detect them, its really that simple.

To expect a soloing fighter to detect doors and traps is ridiculous.

If you want to party, go ahead and party. The trappers will get traps and doors as intended. But the entire party shouldnt get a dm que because one person out of 6 finds a door or trap.

TedSandyman

I have to agree with the other guy on this one.

Unless a player is a complete jerk who is trying to get people killed, it makes complete sense.

ANY thief who is working for the good of the party would immediately tell all of the group of a trap. This just keeps you from having to physically type or say something.

The icon makes MORE sense than an area trap being set off because I type slowly. How does my slow typing play into the idea of immersion. "DM: You run into the trap and set it off killing everyone in your party. If only the thief had taken a typing class."

Volarr

DONT SOLO if you do not have a thoroughly well-rounded character. If your character does not have the skillset to detect doors or traps, then you shouldnt be able to detect them, its really that simple.

To expect a soloing fighter to detect doors and traps is ridiculous.

If you want to party, go ahead and party. The trappers will get traps and doors as intended. But the entire party shouldnt get a dm que because one person out of 6 finds a door or trap.
my lvl 32 first life heroic, 3rd life epic fighter has 77.5 search. soloing doors I can see and open. Traps like I posted earlier i have no problem finding them they go off