Downtime Notice: Wednesday, February 28th 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT)

popejubal

No. The game will only be fully BALNCED when every class can Self-heal, Nuke, CC, Summon, Turn into a bear/wolf, Use any item, Insta-kill, etc. All from the safety of their airship.

The LACK of balance is what makes D&D (and DDO as the red-headed stepchild of it) great.

If you push too hard for BALANCE and get it you will end up with ONE race and ONE class. That would certainly be a great game.
If grouping were more reasonable at all levels, self-heal wouldn’t be nearly as necessary on all characters. I understand what you’re trying to get at here, but I know your biggest gripe has been the self healing and we need to fix grouping before we can consider doing away with any self healing.

And SSG is not able to fix grouping, so…

Buddha5440

If grouping were more reasonable at all levels, self-heal wouldn’t be nearly as necessary on all characters. I understand what you’re trying to get at here, but I know your biggest gripe has been the self healing and we need to fix grouping before we can consider doing away with any self healing.

And SSG is not able to fix grouping, so…
Wow...I'm impressed that you know something about me that I didn't know myself. Thank you for informing me of what my biggest gripe is.

Volarr

Do you really want a balanced game? I think that would ruin this game. It would be boring if you could breeze through everything and if you could do it all yourself where is the fun in that. I like my short comings it makes me try harder to figure out how to make do with what I have. There have been times/Quests I have failed over and over again thinking I will never be able to do this. The true test and reward is how you accomplish them despite your short comings.

DDO Gaming

// Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes! The Dragon Lord archetype will continue to be free to VIPs after March 26th, and available in the DDO Store as well. NOTE: VIPs must speak to Xatheral to claim the Dragon Lord from February 28th through March 26th. VIPs will be able to make a Dragon Lord after March 26th without speaking to Xetheral once the Year of the Dragon promotional period for Dragon Lord has ended. //

Is this once per server or did you guys experience a moment of pure kindness and decide just one visit is sufficient for accountlevel access?

Cordovan

Community Manager
// Now through March 26th, 2024 all players can acquire the Dragon Lord archetype for FREE by visiting the dragon Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes! The Dragon Lord archetype will continue to be free to VIPs after March 26th, and available in the DDO Store as well. NOTE: VIPs must speak to Xatheral to claim the Dragon Lord from February 28th through March 26th. VIPs will be able to make a Dragon Lord after March 26th without speaking to Xetheral once the Year of the Dragon promotional period for Dragon Lord has ended. //

Is this once per server or did you guys experience a moment of pure kindness and decide just one visit is sufficient for accountlevel access?
The delivery tech for this means you only need to acquire it once, not once per game world

Solarpower

No. The game will only be fully BALANCED when every class can Self-heal, Nuke, CC, Summon, Turn into a bear/wolf, Use any item, Insta-kill, etc. All from the safety of their airship.

The LACK of balance is what makes D&D (and DDO as the red-headed stepchild of it) great.

If you push too hard for BALANCE and get it you will end up with ONE race and ONE class. That would certainly be a great game.
That's D&D 4 Edition.
And it was a total failure and drop D&D from the "world's best RPG" into oblivion... 😋

Jasparius

Whilst it may be true they can track Cleanser Cards that have been mailed, traded and auctioned. This was not the topic that I was replying to. :)

Also, if you truly want SSG to be draconian with this "No holds barred, ban them all" approach. I can tell you that no one in DDO for the past 18 years of it's life would be safe from this Multi-Curse issue (the topic I was replying to). Therefore, EVERYONE must be banned and have everything deleted. You, me, the Devs themselves. Because that's how big a system we're talking about here that's goofed up. Only someone who has NOT played DDO before would be exempt from being banned and their account deleted of all material.

I wonder how many players would be sticking around if that happened? How many would correctly cry foul? And how quickly would SSG shut up DDO shop if that was attempted?

If there's a 100% confirmed no false positive approach to something. Go for it. But given the topic I was talking about (Multi-Curse items being possible without ever intending to make them Multi-Curse) and the ease of doing so. Means SSG would be silly to take that approach to the extreme.

J1NG

Ive played since about 2008. What have I done which should see my account banned?

popejubal

Ive played since about 2008. What have I done which should see my account banned?
There are a lot of things that have been exploits that people do accidentally even without trying to perform an exploit.

And considering Turbine/SSG’s bad track record of banning people who are incorrectly identified as exploiters, I don’t trust them to get it right for any big wave of bans that some people periodically call for. I don’t have sympathy for the people who ruin the DDO economy with duping and who relentlessly try to break the game with exploits, but I also don’t have any faith in SSG to successfully tell the difference between genuine exploiters and innocent players who get caught up in the wrong poorly written sql query that was used to find exploiters.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
By playing DDO.

I'm not joking here, there was something fundamentally wrong with the Multi-Curse issue (caused by the Curse system itself) where by playing normally as you have done over the years (as anyone else would), you could have performed the actions needed to produce a Multi-Curse item outcome without ever intending to or even knowing it could even happen that way. For example, eating a food item at the Inn/Bars. Performing a Reincarnation. All sorts of day to day DDO activity. (Not actual methods, but you get the day to day activty idea)

So those who were saying players found and flagged for having Multi-Curse items should have their accounts banned and items deleted, well, that'll be the outcome. Even if you are innocent (because you never knew it could produce a Multi-Curse item outcome and there was so many ways to do so, with many ways found in the last hours of the last update showing how innocent actions could lead to such outcomes).

And, let me just put this here. It might be just me reading it wrong, but I detect a hint of "We know (we goofed up), but this was the only way/option." in the reply I got.

J1NG

Kimbere

And, let me just put this here. It might be just me reading it wrong, but I detect a hint of "We know (we goofed up), but this was the only way/option." in the reply I got.

J1NG
Sure, maybe the Overburdened thing was the only way to flag multi-cursed items and force people to stop using them. That I can buy, maybe... even if I have doubts. After all, those are just fields in a database and database fields can be manipulated pretty easily. If they've corrupted their database fields or overflowed the values, well... removing the extra curses should be the least of their worries because they've got far bigger problems.

But, if a cleanser will fix/remove the multiple curses, the *right* thing to do for their players/customers would be to put cleansers on a vendor and price them cheaply.

That's a far more customer-friendly solution than wrecking an innocent player's mythic+reaper item and telling them: "Sucks to be you. Good luck winning the RNG lotto to pull a cleanser. Or you could just bend over and buy a cleanser from the ASAH. Oh, by the way, we'll happily take your money for some DDO points to buy those astral shards."

Ironically, if they'd just owned up to their oopsie and gone this route to fix it, it would more than likely have been a net gain in goodwill from the player community. Instead, innocent players get hosed along with the not-so-innocent and it comes off looking vindictive.

Ahpuch

By playing DDO.

I'm not joking here, there was something fundamentally wrong with the Multi-Curse issue (caused by the Curse system itself) where by playing normally as you have done over the years (as anyone else would), you could have performed the actions needed to produce a Multi-Curse item outcome without ever intending to or even knowing it could even happen that way. For example, eating a food item at the Inn/Bars. Performing a Reincarnation. All sorts of day to day DDO activity. (Not actual methods, but you get the day to day activty idea)

So those who were saying players found and flagged for having Multi-Curse items should have their accounts banned and items deleted, well, that'll be the outcome. Even if you are innocent (because you never knew it could produce a Multi-Curse item outcome and there was so many ways to do so, with many ways found in the last hours of the last update showing how innocent actions could lead to such outcomes).

J1NG
I thought the punishment was reasonable back when it seemed getting the second curse was intentional. But now that you have shown it can be accidental, the only reasonable thing is to remove them at no cost. But only after they fix the code that causes the extra curses. Which we don't know if they have since they didn't seem to know about the accidental method. Thanks again J1ng for your effort.

plantpower

The original curse for any multicurse item is always the curse in the lowest position on the item description from what I've seen, whether it's through the exploit method that was widely popularized or the one that happened to many people accidentally. By removing all curses except the bottom one, everyone's items would essentially be reset back to their original curse. If DDO's systems support removing curses in that kind of targeted manner, it would be the fairest way to fix the issue for anyone who accidentally picked up additional curses, as they will only lose the bonus curses that the game wasn't supposed to give them anyway. Meanwhile the people who were exploiting typically used a method that involved spending a second deck of cards for the second curse, so the resources they spent on that will end up being for nothing.

PersonMan

The original curse for any multicurse item is always the curse in the lowest position on the item description from what I've seen, whether it's through the exploit method that was widely popularized or the one that happened to many people accidentally. By removing all curses except the bottom one, everyone's items would essentially be reset back to their original curse. If DDO's systems support removing curses in that kind of targeted manner, it would be the fairest way to fix the issue for anyone who accidentally picked up additional curses, as they will only lose the bonus curses that the game wasn't supposed to give them anyway. Meanwhile the people who were exploiting typically used a method that involved spending a second deck of cards for the second curse, so the resources they spent on that will end up being for nothing.
That is exactly what the fix should be. Remove the excess curses. Not one innocent harmed.

The Narc

That is exactly what the fix should be. Remove the excess curses. Not one innocent harmed.
Agreed, as soon as the investigate the people with numerous items with multiple curses and track their logs for transactions and gifts to see if they were part of a duping scheme and hit them hard with the hammer.

Reactions: DBZ

onibaba

• We have corrected a bug that could allow players to put more than one Curse from the Deck of Many Treasures onto an item. Characters that have more than one Curse on a particular item have had those Curses removed and replaced with Curse of the Overloaded, which must be removed with a Card of Curse Cleansing before any new Curses can be applied.
Ouchy? 😂👍
SSG you need to take the responsibility for lacking the insight into players and player habits and releasing yet another half baked stupid idea.

You have punished players indiscriminately for your own lack of insight and poorly implemented system.

If you had put curse cleansing card for sale then you could have mitigated the need/desire to search for ways to get around the lack of cleansing items by using the multiple curse method. From a Game Publisher that has monetised the augment system, the fillagree system, the raid system, the TR system you then decide it is not ok to monetise the curse card system and all the while pontificate about stardardisation. Further, you also ask us how, through a survey, would we help you attract more customers by recommending this game? Are you for real? I think the current customer base would be more than happy to spend money to cleanse curses. What the heck is wrong with you people at SSG?

The gaming environment provided a means to allow this to happen, meaning your implementation of the card system was at fault as you made no steps to adjust or remove the mechanism used to do this and the mechanism was already in the game in various forms, obtainable by bad luck, chance and intentional. But you have decided to universally punish all players who had multiply curses, LMAO. How about you punish the development team that released this garbage and fire them.