Downtime Notice: Wednesday, January 31st 5:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT)

DDO Gaming

The two hours is a reference to how the maintenance is slightly longer than normal.
maintenance is maintance and takes as long as necessary to ensure the final product continues operating smoothly. this isn't an SSG thing, every industry that offers similar services (eg car repair shops) face the same issues

Ellisaria

If they need to fix or implement something, they need to fix/implement something. They told us we had extended maintenance, and let us know beforehand. How you use that time you've been told you can't play is up to the individual after that. Its a few hours one day a week. Sounds like a good time to do some housework, play another game, go for a walk, theres a whole world of stuff to do out there. Ddo is not oxygen, you actually WILL survive without it.

Volarr

Well twittle dee and twittle dum . i think a few years ago they did close the game down for two or three days, to do all the extended work, and were flamed very badly for it. No the lagg didn't get any worse lol. They did warn us that the next time they needed that kind of work done on the system it would be broken it to parts and completed over a couple months to lessen player aggravation. So you did ask for this and they (Turbine at the time) agreed to it, only most of you don't remember it.

Clumsyoof

Lack of concern..... is why we were not given some kind of heads up.
It would be nice if it was merely forgetfulness
but........ it is, what it is.
Same reason no ones said.... Hey guys, would you rather we shut the game down for a day and take care of some issues or would you prefer we shut it down 4 or 5 hours at a stretch, over and over.
Two cold hard facts in life:
No one cares what you think
90% of the people don't care about your problems, the other 10% are glad ya got them

Sheikra

maintenance is maintance and takes as long as necessary to ensure the final product continues operating smoothly. this isn't an SSG thing, every industry that offers similar services (eg car repair shops) face the same issues
Why are you telling me that like I don't understand how maintenance works? Did you read my first comment at all, before deciding to respond?

Clumsyoof

Well twittle dee and twittle dum . i think a few years ago they did close the game down for two or three days, to do all the extended work, and were flamed very badly for it. No the lagg didn't get any worse lol. They did warn us that the next time they needed that kind of work done on the system it would be broken it to parts and completed over a couple months to lessen player aggravation. So you did ask for this and they (Turbine at the time) agreed to it, only most of you don't remember it.
That was years ago, I actually sent those guys some pizzas during that outage, they were going 24/7 trying to get it back up

Rhunah

Most Europeans, including myself, work between 8am and 4pm Central European Time, so it's not that bad. But it would be nice if these long downtime phases could take place earlier so that the servers are back online after work.

Clumsyoof

Why are you telling me that like I don't understand how maintenance works? Did you read my first comment at all, before deciding to respond?
There is a percentage of people that just cant help themselves. They don't know why they do it. Otherwise great people, hang out with, party // play DDO. Then something like that pops up and they cant but help say something completely uncalled for.
Most of just assumed that after high school people outgrew doing things like that

Volarr

If losing one day to play a video game makes you lose your mind, you might have a problem sir.
lol, you hit it on the head. We all have problems. Some are worse than others. Our game has problems too. Life is this way just be glad there is a rez shrine around the corner. or the problem would be worse.

DDO Gaming

Guys chillout please, the gaming worlds will be up and running again and all these "hey I meant this and not that" comments will soon be forgotten. Have a nice day :)(y)

Kheledon

Guys chillout please, the gaming worlds will be up and running again and all these "hey I meant this and not that" comments will soon be forgotten. Have a nice day :)(y)
"Frustration levels" are usually high on the forum during down times, but today seems particularly bad, doesn't it? :unsure:

Sheikra

Most Europeans, including myself, work between 8am and 4pm Central European Time, so it's not that bad. But it would be nice if these long downtime phases could take place earlier so that the servers are back online after work.
^^ I'm in US so I don't mind, but it would be super convenient to have downtime be earlier (well probably not convenient for the devs but can't all win :p)

We have some extended maintenance projects that take hours to do, have to be done. The work itself needs to be spread across several downtimes to avoid essentially a day-long downtime. So, that's why last week and this week were longer than usual. Looks like we'll still have more to do as well after today, so we'll probably have to have at least one more extended downtime soon.
Why not wait until HC season is done and do a day long (bite the bullet) downtime? HC9 is redux so there'll still be players trying to attain whatever goal(s) they may have set for themselves (i'm ViP so yes, i did say day long)

DDO Gaming

Why not wait until HC season is done and do a day long (bite the bullet) downtime? HC9 is redux so there'll still be players trying to attain whatever goal(s) they may have set for themselves (i'm ViP so yes, i did say day long)
everyone has a reason to justify why server maintenance should be delayed. its a great moment to walk out the door and see the real world :)(y)

dur

aka Cybersquirt
We have some extended maintenance projects that take hours to do, have to be done. The work itself needs to be spread across several downtimes to avoid essentially a day-long downtime. So, that's why last week and this week were longer than usual. Looks like we'll still have more to do as well after today, so we'll probably have to have at least one more extended downtime soon.
Thanks for the info! :coffee:

Personally, I'd prefer one day-long downtime to several - kind'a like pulling off the bandaid with one good pull. ;)

Kheledon

its a great moment to walk out the door and see the real world :)(y)
I've heard that there's a big, spooky, ball of fire in the sky out there that can instantly turn you into ashes! :eek:

I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but I am not risking it! No way!

Last edited: