Illithid Invasion u63 Event Unlocking Mega Thread [Completed]

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
I *really *really* wish SSG would use UTC instead of the deprecated GMT. My impression is that *every* single time the clock changes, whether in the US or in Europe, they mess something up. I mean, not even in Greenwich is clock time ever exactly equal to GMT.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
That's not disconnect. It's intentional to allow the entire server to be involved. Imagine the uproar if only max-level characters could participate in the limited-time event.
But the reward is cap only... so if you want the reward, you'll HAVE to be at cap. That's kinda silly. Now, if it was in qs that were both heroic and legendary, that would help, then both lower levels AND capped could help out.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Sunday night tends to be a lighter population day in my experience in general. Plus the phase didn't kick off until about 7:10 pm eastern. Which puts a lot of the eastern hemisphere players in their offline hours. West folks managed to find 5 before I went to sleep myself dealing with very low pop by then.

#6 was still found over last night though, so only a couple more to go, so I imagine as they day ramps up we'll get the last two before too long.

But we're back into the work week so some slowdown is expected.

That being said, based on the time pattern...11:45 launch, 3:30ish for phase 2, 7:15ish for phase 3... (times in eastern)... phase 4 would put us at around 11pm ish on Tuesday? Which.. basically means wednesday if true. Still within the expected timeframe though of about week for the event.

Though.. not sure how dependable that pattern is... if this event has done one thing it has crushed the majority of patterns I theorized. :p

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
But the reward is cap only... so if you want the reward, you'll HAVE to be at cap. That's kinda silly. Now, if it was in qs that were both heroic and legendary, that would help, then both lower levels AND capped could help out.
The reward (fortune bonuses) can be applied to any level gear.

festasha

Its not silly, you could say the same thing about any ftp quests. Everyone is getting 4 new FTP quests, its up to you to be at a level to play them.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Its not silly, you could say the same thing about any ftp quests. Everyone is getting 4 new FTP quests, its up to you to be at a level to play them.
There is an argument in there for having a heroic quest as well for the people who don't play on Legendary - which is a fairly sizable part of the player base.

(I wouldn't suggest heroic difficulty options for the new quests themselves, though - as they're built to be Extreme Challenge on Legendary, they would be a real struggle on most heroic characters.)

Dandonk

Yes. You get to play new quests. Which is great. But unless you are a serious altoholic, you're now stuck at level 9 and have to run back to cap to enjoy what you helped unlock... and then TR again because now there's a level 19 quest also.

And yes, the cards can be applied to everything. Which is awesome. But you can't actually get the cards unless you're at cap. So in that sense, the reward is cap only. Which is at odds with us having to also be low level at the same time.

I would just like to be able to join in the hunt and also try the new quests at the same time. I don't like the design that makes this impossible.

Ahpuch

The reward is not cap. The reward is participation in the event. Everyone gets the quests whether they participate or not or even have accounts at this time. Calling the quests the reward is misleading. That might not make it better for anyone. If you want an event with a reward this is not the event for you.

PS one less MindFlayer in Power Play on Ghallanda. It is still not exhausted.

Reactions: DJH

festasha

Yes. You get to play new quests. Which is great. But unless you are a serious altoholic, you're now stuck at level 9 and have to run back to cap to enjoy what you helped unlock... and then TR again because now there's a level 19 quest also.

And yes, the cards can be applied to everything. Which is awesome. But you can't actually get the cards unless you're at cap. So in that sense, the reward is cap only. Which is at odds with us having to also be low level at the same time.

I would just like to be able to join in the hunt and also try the new quests at the same time. I don't like the design that makes this impossible.
You could have a character at cap and create an Iconic if you have that option available to you.

Dandonk

The reward is not cap. The reward is participation in the event. Everyone gets the quests whether they participate or not or even have accounts at this time. Calling the quests the reward is misleading. That might not make it better for anyone. If you want an event with a reward this is not the event for you.
This is semantics. The reward is unlocking quests (yes, for everyone), but if you want to try the new shinies, you'll have to be high level... enough so, that you can't take part in much of the hunt at the same time. I find that highly annoying.

Dandonk

You could have a character at cap and create an Iconic if you have that option available to you.
I addressed this earlier. No, this is not an option for me. It takes too long, and making new characters over and over for each new q that has to be done... thanks, but no thanks.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
Yeah, 30+, whatever. But in any case, too high to run Gwylan on reaper, which was the significant part.
FWIW I have the opposite problem in that my strongest toons have all ETR > TR'd so that they're parked at levels 3 to 9 or so.

My higher level ones are too weaksauce for even hunting ...

Nerosothe

The duality of man: the first day this event had most of the quests at high epics/legendary with only 2 or 3 in the lower heroics and people lost their mind saying the event was only for hyper end game elitists and most of the player base got scammed on a nothing burger update. The devs have seemed to widen the ilithid hunt lvl range in response so that people on the TR train can contribute and not be left out. I'd encourage you to read the earlier pages of this thread just to see how salty people were getting.

Now I'm not here to dunk on how you feel cause in the end I cant dictate how you should feel, If this update rubs you the wrong way, I'm sorry friendo, it does suck when content feels like its not made for your playstyle :( . However, I personally believe its nice to have some content specifically tailored towards hyper end game as all we really have is high reapers and about 5 raids for content in that regards. On this note I think quests designed for end game builds and gear are much harder to translate into a heroic counterpart because of build scaling variance. One could argue IQ and Dreaming dark is an example of really hard heroic content but people do not run IQ cause it slows down the TR train time. Now obviously IQ has no cool rewards for the modern player, so the comparison is only partial for the actual player content part of the argument; regardless, the tldr of all this is that this is a new type of content that is aimed to give players a new thing to do at cap: farm cards. I do not believe the devs wish to bloat the leveling experience with a sub optimally run heroic version of this which much fewer players would run (which would likely not be ran because these quests aren't XP orientated but rather loot and card based)

As for rewards, you'll be happy to know the curs cards can be used on any gear regardless of level :)! So the rewards are for all lvl ranges, but simply farmed by an end game character. I.I.R.C the average player has 4 characters all spread out in the level range with one usually sitting at cap. Now if this isnt you, ya, it sucks, but when creating content some players cant fit the algorithm so to speak. But i encourage you to remember that this content (at least the quests and their rewards) are staying in game and are (imo) a great new end game farm which helps all toons with gearing some extra stats! Cheers hope this helped :)

Reactions: DJH

festasha

There is an argument in there for having a heroic quest as well for the people who don't play on Legendary - which is a fairly sizable part of the player base.

(I wouldn't suggest heroic difficulty options for the new quests themselves, though - as they're built to be Extreme Challenge on Legendary, they would be a real struggle on most heroic characters.)
I think if the quest was heroic it would be open to abuse with people farming cards on Iconics, not saying people aren't using multiple characters to run it on Legendary but it's probably not as easy as deleting iconics and starting over.