Kali's Dark Hunter Tempest TWF DEX Melee DPS build

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Welcome to my build repository! I've been playing since 2006, and I play to have fun: I don't really care about 'the META'. I have 23 alts, so I actively play practically every class and race available in the game. I design all my builds fully from scratch. Hope you find them useful, and constructive comments/ suggestions are always welcome!

If you would like to contribute towards this effort, any donations will be greatly appreciated. If not, please don't worry: sharing is caring! Just sit back and relax, and enjoy the builds!

12. Kali's Dark Hunter Tempest TWF DEX Melee DPS
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.
Dark-Hunter-Avatar.jpg

Preface to the build

This thread aims to provide the very 'core' of the build:
  • show how it started: its key aims
  • indicate the key decisions that can be made to achieve those aims: stats, skills, feats, heroic enhancements, epic destinies
  • all numbers are based on what a first-lifer (or someone with minimal past lives) would have, unbuffed, outside of reaper mode (they do, however, include equipped gear and partially completed filigrees). They are real characters, and those are the numbers I can offer.
  • numbers are indicative of the potential minimum amounts that can be achieved with the investments that were proposed
  • provide a 'photo' of what your character could look like at endgame during quite a few lives of their 'TR hamster wheel' journey
  • show the 'foundations' to be built upon, if a player decides to embark on the 'TR hamster wheel' and go out there to hunt for rare bonuses
  • gear choices are NOT part of the core build, but rather one of the most important ways to invest in the key elements of the core build to make the aims work. It has been added here simply to suggest options/ inspire. No promises are being made towards keeping this updated upon the release of new content.

DISCLAIMER: nobody in real life has been injured on the making of this thread, and nobody will suffer injuries in real life if they try it. DDO is an awesome game, and trying-and-testing + making changes to suit your specific play style are a very healthy aspect of the game. It's how you learn and get better! Try not to stress too much about what some people have to say about how you play your game. Not everyone gets that this is a game, that people are not the same, and don't want the same things! The Mountain has many paths. Have fun!

Aims of the build

Primary aim(s):
1. DPS
> lots of AoE attacks:
> 200% strikethrough chance [always attacks 3 targets (if in range)] for 10s every 15 seconds (regardless of combat style):​
> Tempest's 'Dance of Death [T5]'
> Shadowdancer's 'Shadowstrike [T2]'
> {+50% dmg, +3 crit Range and Multiplier} Cleave attack​
> Fury of the Wild's 'The Great Leveler [T5]'
> {+60% dmg +16 crit range}: hits all enemies in a short line​
> 'Whirlwind Attack' (feat):
> {+20% damage} Attacks twice all enemies in a 360 degree arc around you​

2. interwaeved with some enemy de-buffs:
> Shadowdancer​
> Shadow Loss on failed Fort save (-5 PRR, MRR and Spell Penetration)
'Shadowstrike [T2]'
> Darkness for 12s on rolls of natural 20 (applies sneak attack vulnerability / -3 PRR, MRR and Spell Penetration per stack, max 3 stacks)
'Bring Darkness [T4]'
> Fury of the Wild (FotW)
> Shaken, for 30s every 30s​
'Primal Scream [T1]'

Secondary aim(s):
3. some Crowd Control:
> AoE:​
> Fury of the Wild (FotW)​
> ‘The Great Leveler [T5]’ (Targets who make their save are still Tripped for 2s, no save)
> Single-target:
> Dark Hunter​
> 'Snap Trap [T3]'
> Shadowdancer
> Blindness on vorpals, no save (for 5s, can only apply to each monster once per 60s)
'Dark Imbuement [T3]'
> Deepwood Stalker
> 'Tendon Cut [T1]' (AoE while under Tempest's 'Dance of Death [T5]')

4. Finding & disabling traps + opening locks

Key stats & synergies

Key abilities toolbar (main rotation):
Dark-Hunter-Key-abilities-toolbar.jpg

A. Dexterity for melee combat:
> To hit: via Tempest's [C2]​
> Rapiers: Weapon Finesse (feat)​
> To dmg via Tempest's [C3]​
> Rapiers: Deepwood Stalker's 'Improved Weapon Finesse [T2]'​
> base ability for Tactical DC formulas of some key attacks/enhancements:
(+INT-based insightful bonus via Harper Agent's 'Know the Angles [T2]')
> Dark Hunter (e.g. Snap Trap)​
> FoTW (e.g. The Great Leveler)​

B. Two Weapon Fighting mastery:
> Off-hand attack chance = 100%:​
Base bonus
> 20%​
Feats
> +20%: Two-Weapon Fighting​
> +20%: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting​
> +20%: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting​
Heroic
> +10%: Tempest's 'Tempest [C2]'​
> +10%: Tempest's 'Whirlwind [C5]'​
> Off-hand Ability bonus to dmg = 100%:​
> Tempest's 'Dual Perfection [T5]' (base is 50% Ability bonus to damage)​
C. Attack speed = 15%
Enhancement bonus
> +15%: Gear/ Augment/ Haste spell​
> Attack speed boost = +30% (total 45%)
[Tempest's 'Haste Action Boost [T2]']
> 9 Charges:
Base charges
> 5
Augment
> +3: 'Legendary Moment to Legendary Moment'
Airship buffs
> +1: 'Concert Hall'

D. Doublestrike
> Main hand = 68%
Doublestrike breakdown:
Feats
> +2%: 'Harbinger of Chaos'​
Heroic
> +5%: Tempest 'Whirlwind [C5]'​
> +10%: Tempest 'Dervish [C6]'​
Epic Destinies
> +3%: FoTW 'Wild Weapons: Doublestrike [T3]'​
> +5%: Shadowdancer 'Shadowstriker [T3]'​
Gear bonuses (inc Set bonuses)
> +15% artifact bonus (set bonus)​
> +15% enhancement bonus​
> +6% insightful bonus​
> +3% quality bonus​
Filigrees (inc Set bonuses)
> +1%: 'Shadowstrike' (single filigree)​
Unknown source
> +3%: ???​
> buffable to 98% {for 15s every 90s}:​
> +30%: Tempest's 'A Thousand Cuts [T5]'​
> buffable to 128% in reaper mode (capped 100%)​
[Dread Adversary's 'Reaper Strike [T1]']​

> Off-hand = 65% of total:​
Base bonus
> 50%​
Feats
> +15%: 'Perfect Single Weapon Fighting'​
Dark-Hunter-Key-combat-bonuses.jpg

E. Weapon Critical profile 15-20/ x3
Critical threat range
Base
> 18-20: Rapiers​
Feats
> +3 feat bonus: 'Improved Critical: Piercing' (feat)​
= 15-20
Critical damage multiplier
Base
> x2: Rapiers​
Heroic enhancements/spells
> +1 competence bonus: Tempest's 'Deflect Arrows [C4]'​
= x3
Average additional base damage = +60%:​
Critical threat range 15-20 = 6
Critical damage multiplier x3 (-1 to remove base) = 2
> 6 x 2 = 12
> Each point = 5% more average base damage​
> 12 x 5% = 60%

> Crit damage multiplier boost = +2 (15-20/x5):​
Feats
> +1 on 19-20 rolls: 'Overwhelming Critical'​
Epic Destinies
> +1 on 19-20 rolls: FotW's 'Nature's Fury's [T5]'​
15-20/x5 = 6 x 4 = 24
24 x 5% = +120% more average base damage

F. 4 imbue die: Bleed dmg (scales Melee Power):
> Dark Hunter's 'Bleed the Weak [T1]'
> Dark wolf also gets this imbue, and uses your total imbue die​
Imbue die breakdown:
+2 die Feats
+2 Harbringer of Chaos (@lvl 28)​
+1 dice Heroic enhancements​
+1 Dark Hunter (Tier 3)​
+1 dice Augment​
+1 Emerald of Arcane Empowerment​

= total 4 die, sustainable 100% of the time

G. 26 Sneak Attack die
SA die breakdown:
+11 die Feats
+5 Dark Hunter class feats (passive) (@lvls 1, 5, 10, 15, 20)​
+6 Scion of the Ethereal Plane​
+6 dice Heroic enhancements​
+3 Dark Hunter (Tiers 1-3)​
+3 Deepwood Stalker (C1-2 + T1, rank 3)​
+7 dice Epic Destinies​
+7 Shadowdancer (C1-4 + T2)​
+1 dice Filigrees​
+1 Treachery (set bonus: 3 pieces)​
+1 dice ???​
+1 ???​

= total 26 die, sustainable 100% of the time
> buffable to 46d6 {for 10s every 60s}:
+20 die Dark Hunter's 'Opportune Moment [C4]'​

H. Fortification bypass = 123%
Feats
> +25%: 'Precision'​
Epic Destinies
> +12%: FotW's '6% Sense Weakness [T3]' + '6% Primal Force [T4]'​
> +8%: Shadowdancer's '3% Cut to the Soul [C4]' + '5% Grim Precision [T3]'​
> +30%: Legendary Part of the Family set bonus​
> +23%: enhancement bonus​
> +10%: insightful bonus​
Filigrees (inc Set bonuses)
> +10%: 'Dreadbringer' (3-piece set bonus)​
Airship Buffs
> +5%: 'Trapsmith's Workshop'​

I. Helpless damage = +106%
Base bonus
> +50%​
Feats
> +15%: 'Crush Weakness'​
Epic Destinies
> +18%: FotW's '9% Mantle of Fury's [T1]' + '9% Sense Weakness [T3]'​
> +3%: Shadowdancer's 'Cut to the Soul [C4]'​
> +15%: Legendary Part of the Family set bonus​
Airship Buffs
> +5%: 'Game Hunter'​

J. Extra damage:
> Extra Weapon dmg = +0.25{W]:
Airship Buffs
> +0.25[W]: 'Ninja Assassin'
> +2% damage: epic bonus to all physical attacks​
> FotW's 'Primal Force [T4]'​
> Untyped damage per Sneak Attack die, on each hit, for 10s every 15s, scales Melee Power​
> Shadowdancer's 'Dark Imbuement [T3]'​
> AoE Bludgeon dmg (on Trip attack, scales 150% Melee Power)​
> Fury of the Wild's 'Be the Whirlwind [C4]'​
> Insightful bonus to damage:
> Harper 'Know the Angles [T2]'​
> up to +10 damage {for 15s every 30s}​
> Tempest's 'The Growing Storm [T4]'​
> up to +15 morale Melee Power {killing enemies, for 20s}​
> Dark Hunter's 'Slayer in the dark [T4]'​
K. Burst damage:
> FotW's 'Unbridled Fury [T5]'​

L. Survivability (after all, soul stones do zero dps):
> Light armor for higher dodge chance + evasion​
> Max DEX bonus to armor: = 35 / Dodge cap = 30%
> Dodge chance = 26% [31% in reaper mode, using reaper tree Dodge bonuses]​
> buffable:
> extra 35%+ {for 18s every 90s}:
> Tempest's 'Elaborate Parry [T4]' (Dodge, Maximum Dodge, and Maximum Dexterity Bonus to light and medium armor, equal to your Dexterity Modifier)
> +5%, ignores Cap {for 10s every 15s}:
> Shadowdancer's 'Improved Meld [T4]' via Epic strike 'Shadowstrike [T2]'
> stacking Incorporeality = +5%
> Tempest's 'Whirlwind [C5]'​
> Deflect arrows: Tempest's 'Deflect Arrows [C4]'​
> 1 projectile every 2s: Tempest's 'Improved Defense [T1]'​
> Hit Points bonus = +35%
Competence bonus
> +25%: Tempest's 'Dual Perfection [T5]'​
Primal bonus
> +10%: Fury of the Wild's 'Lore of the Wilds [T5]'​
I share some strategies for general defensiveness and survival in this thread. Come visit if you feel it could be useful to you!

M. Trapping:
> Auto-search for traps (Dark Wolf):​
> Dark Hunter's 'Lupine Instincts [T4]'​
> Search + Disable traps
> High INT​
> +20 primal bonus: Dark Hunter's 'Lupine Instincts [T4]'​
> Very high DEX:​
> Reflex saves + Open Lock​
> Evasion: Shadowdancer's 'The Darkest Luck [C3]'​
> No auto-fail Reflex saving throws on a roll of 1​
> Epic Reflexes (feat)​
The 'core elements' of the build

Class(es): Dark Hunter (20)
Race: Wood Elf (Tabaxi would be an excellent choice too)
Alignment: Chaotic Good (because of 'Harbinger of Chaos' feat, but can be any)
Main stat: Dexterity (level ups here)
Starting stats (34 pts): STR: 08/ DEX: 20/ CON: 16/ INT: 13/ WIS: 08/ CHA: 08
Skills:
> Search/ Spot/ Disable Device / Open Lock​
> Heal / Use Magic Device/ Concentration/ Balance/ Tumble (1 point)​
Weapon type(s): Rapiers mainly (crit profile), but also some Short swords, Daggers, Light Picks (light piercing weapons)
* Extra notes on weapon choice:
> I made a choice to go with rapiers as the main weapon for this build for a few personal reasons:
  • one of the other strong options, scimitars, are being used by my Blighted Wolf druid alt
  • Kukris, which could also go really well, will be used my my rogue alt
  • rapiers created potential to use other special/strong piercing weapons such as daggers, short swords and light picks (because of improved critical: piercing feat)
  • those other piercing weapons choices, in my opinion, bring more variety of options than the slashing counterparts (Handaxes, sickles and kukris mostly)
  • so all in all, a personal choice, as scimitars and kukris could work very well too
> The Tempest tree grants DEX to-hit and damage with light melee weapons, but unfortunately, rapiers are not considered light weapons
  • so to make it work with this build, the Weapon Finesse feat lets it use DEX to hit
  • then, Deepwood stalker' 'Improved Weapon Finesse [T2]' lets me use DEX for damage with melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit (that's why the Weapon Finesse feat is needed)
  • Deepwood Stalker is a tree I still want to use to get extra Sneak Attack die, so this isn't an extra cost just to make rapiers work
  • The Weapon Finesse feat needs to stay in, and won't be swapped out later on
> Note: Tempest [C2] (min Dark Hunter level 3) lets you treat Scimitars as light weapons

So, if you decide to go with slashing weapons, instead:
  • you could drop the Weapon finesse feat @lvl 1, and instead potentially take:
    • Nimble Fingers, so you get an extra +1 Sneak Attack die from Shadowdancer's 'Technician [T1]'?
    • or maybe take Toughness, and then @level 30 take Epic Toughness?
    • Weapon focus: slash?
    • Power Critical (needs to be later because of BAB+4 requirement)?
  • You won't need the Deepwood Stalker T2 'Improved Weapon Finesse' either, as the Tempest cores cover DEX hit & dmg for both scimis and kukris. It's rapiers that require the weapon finesse feat and that enhancement.
    • you could use the 1 action point somewhere else in the same tree, or any of the other trees.
Feats:
Dark-Hunter-Feats.jpg

Heroic enhancements: 83 = 80 + 2 (Racial tomes) + 1 (Universal tome)
Dark-Hunter-Heroic-enhancs.jpg

Epic Destinies: 65 = 61 + 1 (Tome of Fate +3) + 2 (Fey & Dread tomes) + 1 (Historic tome)

Dark-Hunter-Epic-Destinies.jpg

N.B: ED multi-selector choices:
> Fury of the Wild​
> T2: 'Fast and Furious'​
> T3: 'Doublestrike'​
> T3: 'Spirit of the Beast'​
> T4: 'Primal Force'​
> Shadowdancer​
> T2: 'Shadostrike'​
> T3: 'Shadowstriker'​
> T3: 'Dark Imbuement'​
> T4: 'Improved Meld'​
Spells:
Dark-Hunter-Spells.jpg

Suggestions for gear
(not part of the core build: choices based on what supports the main aims of the build best, with the intention to suggest/ inspire)

Gear Set bonuses:
Dark-Hunter-Gear-Set-bonuses.jpg

Gear:
(PS: Some choices ref gear cater to a much larger personal scheme/tetris where items need to get shared between several alts at endgame, where I normally play in reaper mode 6-10 skulls).
Dark-Hunter-Gear-set-w-labelled-cosmetics.jpg

Dark-Hunter-DPS-set-1-gear-planner.jpg

Dark Hunter DPS gear set spreadsheet above is available to download too. More on DPS gear sets in this thread.

Dark-Hunter-hybrid-Trapping-gear.jpg

Rings-of-Spell-Storing.jpg

Main Filigree Set bonuses:
Dark-Hunter-Filigree-Set-bonuses.jpg

Filigrees: 14 = 4 (artefact) + 10 (weapon)
Dark-Hunter-Filigrees-all.jpg

Filigree master plan:
  1. Primarily invest in Melee Power and Assassinate DCs.
  2. Sneak Attack die and Imbue Die goes as secondary aim, if/when possible to squeeze in
  3. Dexterity and other effects get the least priority

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Extra suggestion to make the most of this thread:

I do recommend having Maetrim's DDOBuilder open while looking at my threads, as this will enable you to:
- hover over the abilities listed and learn more about them
- experiment with changing things and seeing if they would work better for you, before doing it in the live game
- get a general overview of the key aspects of the build

I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (not this build in the image), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Apologies for the delay posting this, but I have been working on TRing an alt into an Artificer, and doing all the planning to include Machrotecnic too. Unfortunately, school summer holidays are upon those of us who have children. Hopefully, I manage to finally start working on it in the near future!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Why no Adrenaline if you putting all those points in Furry?
Hi @Teh_Troll Happy to clarify :)

I suppose the quick answer is that Shadowdancer has a terrible tier 5 for melees. I find it really awful, I just can't use it, so the main tree is FotW.

Nevertheless, with the amount of sneak die I can achieve (48d6 for 10 seconds every 60 seconds, with 28d6 being 100% time), the Shadowdancer Epic strike, to me, generally feels more efficient than Adrenaline.

Adrenaline requires constant clicking (on a class that already has a ton of buttons to click to get all buffs going: e.g Dance of Death, Growing Storm, A Thousand Cuts, Smoke Bomb, etc.), and it boosts only one attack per click.

Shadowdancer's, with 'Dark Imbuement', boosts ALL my attacks for 10 seconds every 15 seconds. It definitely feels more manageable (ref number of abilities to click) and also stronger, though I don't have the maths to back this up.

I still get bursts of adrenaline via Unbridled Fury. Despite its long cooldown, it is there for the big fights.

Hope this makes sense :)

Last edited:

morningfrost

Hi! As a long standing but very occasional player, I'm still working towards my first completionist (yes). I just levelled your Vile Chemist to 19 (almost done, just a little longer!), looks like I picked the wrong build for solo heroic levelling but it was great!.
Do you think this one would be good for a ranger life? Also, I have a passion for kukris, even back then I had a rogue with dual kukris. Can I pick IC: slashing or do you see any drawbacks?

And thanks you for posting these!

Kalibano

Hi! As a long standing but very occasional player, I'm still working towards my first completionist (yes). I just levelled your Vile Chemist to 19 (almost done, just a little longer!), looks like I picked the wrong build for solo heroic levelling but it was great!.
Do you think this one would be good for a ranger life? Also, I have a passion for kukris, even back then I had a rogue with dual kukris. Can I pick IC: slashing or do you see any drawbacks?

And thanks you for posting these!
Hey @morningfrost Thanks for your message :)

I just levelled your Vile Chemist to 19 (almost done, just a little longer!), looks like I picked the wrong build for solo heroic levelling but it was great!
I know what you mean: levelling throwers and bow users through heroics can be quite a challenge, their attack speed is really not great. The Alchy build starts shining later with improved precise shot and the epic destinies, so I can see how it would be tricky in heroics. I shared some thoughts on the levelling within that build's thread: might be a bit late for you, as you are already level 19, but I suggested spellcasting as a way to help offset the difficulty with dps via throwers, specially in the early levels.

This would be a great build for a ranger life, for sure. I think you'll have a much easier time soloing heroic, compared to a ranged build.
Kukris and Scimitars would work great too, as they both have a great crit profile.

If you go with slashing weapons, you could drop the Weapon finesse feat @lvl 1, and maybe take toughness instead. Then @level 30, you could take Epic Toughness. Or if you want a bit more damage, maybe take weapon focus: slash instead?

You won't need the Deepwood Stalker T2 'Improved Weapon Finesse' either, as the Tempest cores cover DEX hit & dmg for both scimis and kukris. It's rapiers that require the weapon finesse feat and that enhancement.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Blametroi

Build solid through level 9 on multi-life toon, solo R1. I'm not following it exactly, my toon is fully tomed up, but I can see this working well on HC. For flavor I'm trying to figure out a Huntress (DC Comics) built that works well. This gives me some hope that I can make it work. Thanks.

Kalibano

Hi @Blametroi Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Glad you found the build useful! Sounds like a great idea doing a Huntress build, hope it goes well!

Kalibano

Just read that with Update 61 the Vistani tree will work for kukris. I'm going to sharpen my knives...
That's a great addition the game, sharpening my knives too!
This DH build would go really well with it, but I got a bunch of rapiers for this alt already, so I'll stick with piercing weapons.

I'm actually working on re-designing a couple of existing builds to decide which is going to get the kukris:
- Vistani Rogue (20) Assassin or
- Vistani Vile Chemist (18)/ Monk (01)/ Dark Hunter (01) melee/hybrid

This is distracting me from finishing this thread, but oh well, excited about Vis Kukris for sure! :D

Kalibano

Made some progress with adding info about the build. Not much left to get it finished, so hopefully fully ready soon :)

Laethe

Hello, TY for guide! I am new to game and I think I would enjoy this type of character. I have no idea what I am doing haha! I see your info on Starting Stats, Feats and Skills. but I am not sure where to put points as I level. Any help would be appreciated. I am level 4, put some more in DEX and 1 INT. Put more into the Skills you listed and some into Hide and Move Stealthy. I also had 32 points not 34.

Kalibano

Hello, TY for guide! I am new to game and I think I would enjoy this type of character. I have no idea what I am doing haha! I see your info on Starting Stats, Feats and Skills. but I am not sure where to put points as I level. Any help would be appreciated. I am level 4, put some more in DEX and 1 INT. Put more into the Skills you listed and some into Hide and Move Stealthy. I also had 32 points not 34.
Hi @Laethe Glad you enjoyed the guide! Character development in DDO is quite complex, I understand it can be a bit hard to know what to do.
My suggestion for this build is to invest in DEX, when you get an extra ability point every 4 levels:
Main stat: Dexterity (level ups here)

At each single level, I'd recommend spending your skills points in the skills I listed, giving priority to the line at the top first, then the ones below.
You can always change things a bit if you want to try something different, but the skills on the top line are essential if you hope to succeed in finding and disabling traps + opening locks:
Skills:
> Search/ Spot/ Disable Device / Open Lock
> Heal / Use Magic Device/ Concentration/ Balance/ Tumble (1 point)

For a 32 build, you could maybe start with 1 less point in DEX, and round INT to 14 (if enough points).

Tempest is a really strong tree, and Dark Hunter adds a lot of extra damage via sneak attacks. It can be confusing, but sneak attacks don't necessarily require you to sneak at all (so the skills Hide and Move Silently are not essential).

Some of the things you can do to deal sneak attack damage in combat more consistently:
- if you play in a group, try to let someone rush to the mobs first, to get their agro. As long as you don't have the agro, you will deal sneak attack damage (for the most part).
- having a caster do crowd control also helps immensely, as most forms of CC makes enemies helpless, and therefore, vulnerable to sneak attacks.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited: