Kali's Dark Hunter Tempest TWF DEX Melee DPS build

Needles

Thanks for the build @Kalibano - as a new player, I'm going to try this build, but with scimitars and focus: slashing to replace Weapon Finesse. I notice that your spells don't include Nature's Ally. I love the idea of a pet companion, so which spells would you recommend dropping to allow for the Nature's Ally line of spells?

Kalibano

Build Designer. Having fun since 2006!
Thanks for the build @Kalibano - as a new player, I'm going to try this build, but with scimitars and focus: slashing to replace Weapon Finesse. I notice that your spells don't include Nature's Ally. I love the idea of a pet companion, so which spells would you recommend dropping to allow for the Nature's Ally line of spells?
Hi Needles, and welcome to DDO :)

Glad you will give this build a go, it's very solid for a beginner too.

You will find that the Nature Ally spells lose their efficiency very quickly. By this I mean the summoned animals are quite weak and die so fast.
Having said so, I'm all for incentivising others to try for themselves. Perhaps as you level up, you could pick the Nature Ally spell and use it at that level specifically. As you get access to level 2 spells, for example, you can just drop the level 1 Nature Ally spell and try the level 2 (you will only be able to have one summoned pet a a time - this does NOT count your dark wolf i.e. you can have the Dark Wolf + a summon from a spell), so in the end, you should only keep one nature Ally spell, and the logical choice would be the level 4 spell one.

I have animal growth to buff my dark wolf pet, perhaps that could be the one you drop? As you progress levels, you will likely find out the spell is too weak and possibly drop it entirely to have a similar spell list to mine.

One tip: there are items at endgame that let you summon a stronger pet:
Doctor Lifestone's Hunting Horn lets you summon a Legendary Dinossaur
Legendary Wolf Whistle lets you summon a Legendary Werewolf

Hope this was helpful, and that you enjoy the build!

Needles

Hi Needles, and welcome to DDO :)

Glad you will give this build a go, it's very solid for a beginner too.

You will find that the Nature Ally spells lose their efficiency very quickly. By this I mean the summoned animals are quite weak and die so fast.
Having said so, I'm all for incentivising others to try for themselves. Perhaps as you level up, you could pick the Nature Ally spell and use it at that level specifically. As you get access to level 2 spells, for example, you can just drop the level 1 Nature Ally spell and try the level 2 (you will only be able to have one summoned pet a a time - this does NOT count your dark wolf i.e. you can have the Dark Wolf + a summon from a spell), so in the end, you should only keep one nature Ally spell, and the logical choice would be the level 4 spell one.

I have animal growth to buff my dark wolf pet, perhaps that could be the one you drop? As you progress levels, you will likely find out the spell is too weak and possibly drop it entirely to have a similar spell list to mine.

One tip: there are items at endgame that let you summon a stronger pet:
Doctor Lifestone's Hunting Horn lets you summon a Legendary Dinossaur
Legendary Wolf Whistle lets you summon a Legendary Werewolf

Hope this was helpful, and that you enjoy the build!
Ah...so Dark Hunters inherently get a Dark Wolf pet by default? So that negates any requirement for Nature's Ally imo :) Thanks. (y)

unbongwah

Ah...so Dark Hunters inherently get a Dark Wolf pet by default? So that negates any requirement for Nature's Ally imo
Pets and summons are separate things. tl;dr summary: pets are permanent class features, summons are temporary helpers.

Pets
  • Only four classes get pets: druid (wolf), Dark Hunter (dark wolf), wizard (Skeletal Knight), and Artificer (Iron Defender).
  • Artificer and druid pets are inherent (meaning you always get one); Dark Hunter and wizard have to spend points in the Dark Hunter and Pale Master trees, respectively, to unlock their pet.
  • Pets scale with class level, so if you want to max out your pet's level, you need to stay pure. And you can only have one pet active at a time so there's no point in mixing pet classes.
  • All four classes have access to Enhancements and/or spells to buff their pets. Pets also have two gear slots (collar and armor).
  • Pets get their own action bar so you can control them like a hireling.
Summons
  • Summons are spells so they last a finite time, you can't equip them with gear, and you have no control over their actions.
  • Summons have a fixed CR so they don't scale with your level. So if you're trying to play a summoner, you simply use higher-level summoning spells.
  • There's a few summoning abilities in Epic Destinies, which will replace heroic summoning spells.

Hobgoblin

Pets and summons are separate things. tl;dr summary: pets are permanent class features, summons are temporary helpers.

Pets
  • Only four classes get pets: druid (wolf), Dark Hunter (dark wolf), wizard (Skeletal Knight), and Artificer (Iron Defender).
  • Artificer and druid pets are inherent (meaning you always get one); Dark Hunter and wizard have to spend points in the Dark Hunter and Pale Master trees, respectively, to unlock their pet.
  • Pets scale with class level, so if you want to max out your pet's level, you need to stay pure. And you can only have one pet active at a time so there's no point in mixing pet classes.
  • All four classes have access to Enhancements and/or spells to buff their pets. Pets also have two gear slots (collar and armor).
  • Pets get their own action bar so you can control them like a hireling.
Summons
  • Summons are spells so they last a finite time, you can't equip them with gear, and you have no control over their actions.
  • Summons have a fixed CR so they don't scale with your level. So if you're trying to play a summoner, you simply use higher-level summoning spells.
  • There's a few summoning abilities in Epic Destinies, which will replace heroic summoning spells.

and just to clarify it is only druid that gets the wolf. not blightcaster

Kalibano

New filigree sets added
(Both the main post + DDOBuilder file have been updated. Images also posted below for ease of access)
  • The aim was to achieve higher Melee Power 100% of the time (vs the previous set which relied on a large bonus via AB use).
  • There was a loss of 2 SA die, but it was likely compensated by the sustainable Melee Power 100% of the time.
  • There is also potential to have the Prowess set in a separate weapon, and for it to be swapped prior to using the action boost: this would bring the Filigree total Melee Power bonus to 127 while an AB is activated
Main Filigree Set bonuses:
Dark-Hunter-Filigree-Set-bonuses.jpg

Filigrees: 14 = 10 (weapon) + 4 (artefact)
Dark-Hunter-Filigrees-all.jpg

VS the previous sets:
Dark-Hunter-Filigrees-all-O.jpg

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

I don't see how Shadowstrike 2 provide +18 MP.

Option one change suggestion:

Treachery 3 => Treachery/Twilight's Cloak +2 Dex + 4MRR
Treachery 4 => Sucker Punch MP +5, +d6 SA from set.
Shdowstrike 2 => Long Shadow +1 Dex or +1 Attack/Damage, + 2 ID from set.
Shadowstrike 1 => One against many +5 MP.

Net bonus +8 MP, +1-2 Dex, +1 SA dice, +2 ID.

Second option change Treachery set to Shattered Device 4pc set for +10% Damage output from debuff.

Third option change Treachery +5 MP at artifact to One Against Many +5 MP, Shadowstrike 2 to second +5MP One against many for better tanking option from debuff.

Kalibano

Second option change Treachery set to Shattered Device 4pc set for +10% Damage output from debuff.

Third option change Treachery +5 MP at artifact to One Against Many +5 MP, Shadowstrike 2 to second +5MP One against many for better tanking option from debuff.
Hey Fisto :) Thanks for your great suggestions!

Ops, that was a typo. I fixed it and re-uploaded the images. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Nice catch, thanks! Will definitely change this

The master plan with filigrees for this build was to:
  1. Primarily invest in Melee Power and Assassinate DCs.
  2. Sneak Attack die and Imbue Die goes as secondary aim, if/when possible to squeeze in
  3. Dexterity and other effects get the least priority
Initially I was going all in for Assassinate, and wanted to invest in all the 3 sets that boost it:
  • 5-piece Long Shadow (+2)
  • 4-piece Treachery (+2)
  • 2-piece Shadowstrike (+2) = Total +6 Assassinate
However, that felt like too much Melee Power would need to be sacrificed, so I ended up with the filigree set-up I posted.
Coming from the perspective of wanting +6 Assassinate DCs, sacrificing another +2 by dropping Treachery is not something I am willing to do (even if it's not the 'meta' for max dps).

I have invested a lot into Assassinate (including the new gear set I am finishing to put together in the live game today), and considering it cannot be boosted via trances, every single point really matters. It's just frustrating having abilities fail at endgame, so securing +4 Assassinate from the filigrees is as far as I am willing to compromise on this build.

Having said so, I'd be very keen to see your suggestions on what could be adjusted/tweaked, as long as min +4 Assassinate remain. Your time and expertise will definitely be appreciated, if/when you get a chance (and if you wish to ofc) :)

The suggestions you made certainly help provide alternative options for those coming to this thread looking for ideas/inspiration for their own Dark Hunter builds! As always, very grateful for this too @Fisto Mk I (y)

Last edited:

Kalibano

The main post has been edited to include buttons to click and expand info.
I used the spoiler tool, as it provided the effect I desired: there are no spoilers, though :)

The aim was to reduce potential visual overload, as well as the overall length of the main post. This creates potential to include more breakdowns.

I'd be keen to hear feedback from anyone who frequently visits my threads: do you prefer this layout?
I am working slowly towards doing the same for all other builds: hope this enhances everyone's experience when visiting and exploring!

Last edited:

Kalibano

you seem to only have 12 fillis even though you say 14 - typo?
Hey there :)

There's definitely 14 listed in the image below: 4 in the first row, and 10 in the row below:

Filigrees: 14 = 4 (artefact) + 10 (weapon)

Was there another section where I forgot to update this? It would be great if you could point me towards it, so I can fix it :)

Hobgoblin

Hey there :)

There's definitely 14 listed in the image below: 4 in the first row, and 10 in the row below:

Filigrees: 14 = 4 (artefact) + 10 (weapon)

Was there another section where I forgot to update this? It would be great if you could point me towards it, so I can fix it :)
apparently the yellow wasnt registering as the coffee hadnt kicked in. My eyes started at long shadow on each row.

my bad

Hobgoblin

looked at couple more of your builds - for me i definably liked the non spoiler alert versions better.

keep up the good work!

Your builds are excellent for new players good for med players and a good start for the min maxers like me that mess up on gearing

Kalibano

looked at couple more of your builds ..
Hey @Hobgoblin :)

...for me i definably liked the non spoiler alert versions better...
Thanks a bunch for the feedback ref the new layout, great to hear it's going in a good direction :)
The 'spoiler' buttons helps a lot add extra info + breakdowns without making the post excessively long and too wordy, so here goes hoping people who read my threads prefer it too.

keep up the good work!

Your builds are excellent for new players good for med players and a good start for the min maxers like me that mess up on gearing
Really appreciative of the positive feedback ref the builds in general: very pleased they are helpful for a wide range of players. That's what I have been aiming for!

1024kid

Hey, I just TRed last night and started up a Dark Hunter and had a quick question about the feats. So I picked weapon finesse at first level but I noticed that through the tempest core Enhancements you can use Dex to hit as well. Do you change out weapon finesse later after you unlock that Enhancement or leave it?

Kalibano

Hey, I just TRed last night and started up a Dark Hunter and had a quick question about the feats. So I picked weapon finesse at first level but I noticed that through the tempest core Enhancements you can use Dex to hit as well. Do you change out weapon finesse later after you unlock that Enhancement or leave it?
Hey there, and thanks for sending your question. Happy to clarify :)

> I made a choice to go with rapiers as the main weapon for this build for a few personal reasons:
  • one of the other strong options, scimitars, are being used by my Blighted Wolf druid alt
  • Kukris, which could also go really well, will be used my my rogue alt
  • rapiers created potential to use other special/strong piercing weapons such as daggers, short swords and light picks (because of improved critical: piercing feat)
  • those other piercing weapons choices, in my opinion, bring more variety of options than the slashing counterparts (Handaxes, sickles and kukris mostly)
  • so all in all, a personal choice, as scimitars and kukris could work very well too
> The Tempest tree grants DEX to-hit and damage with light melee weapons, but unfortunately, rapiers are not considered light weapons.
  • so to make it work with this build, the Weapon Finesse feat lets it use DEX to hit
  • then, Deepwood stalker' 'Improved Weapon Finesse [T2]' lets me use DEX for damage with melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit (that's why the Weapon Finesse feat is needed)
  • Deepwood Stalker is a tree I still want to use to get extra Sneak Attack die, so this isn't an extra cost just to make rapiers work
  • The Weapon Finesse feat needs to stay in, and won't be swapped out later on
> Note: Tempest [C2] (min Dark Hunter level 3) lets you treat Scimitars as light weapons

So, if you decide to go with slashing weapons, instead:
  • you could drop the Weapon finesse feat @lvl 1, and instead potentially take:
    • Nimble Fingers, so you get an extra +1 Sneak Attack die from Shadowdancer's 'Technician [T1]'?
    • or maybe take Toughness, and then @level 30 take Epic Toughness?
    • Weapon focus: slash?
    • Power Critical (needs to be later because of BAB+4 requirement)?
  • You won't need the Deepwood Stalker T2 'Improved Weapon Finesse' either, as the Tempest cores cover DEX hit & dmg for both scimis and kukris. It's rapiers that require the weapon finesse feat and that enhancement.
    • you could use the 1 action point somewhere else in the same tree, or any of the other trees.
Hope this helps! :)

Note: I also added this to the main post, for others who might have the same question

Last edited:

1024kid

Hey there, and thanks for sending your question. Happy to clarify :)

> I made a choice to go with rapiers as the main weapon for this build for a few personal reasons:
  • one of the other strong options, scimitars, are being used by my Blighted Wolf druid alt
  • Kukris, which could also go really well, will be used my my rogue alt
  • rapiers created potential to use other special/strong piercing weapons such as daggers, short swords and light picks (because of improved critical: piercing feat)
  • those other piercing weapons choices, in my opinion, bring more variety of options than the slashing counterparts (Handaxes, sickles and kukris mostly)
  • so all in all, a personal choice, as scimitars and kukris could work very well too
> The Tempest tree grants DEX to-hit and damage with light melee weapons, but unfortunately, rapiers are not considered light weapons
  • so to make it work with this build, the Weapon Finesse feat lets it use DEX to hit
  • then, Deepwood stalker' 'Improved Weapon Finesse [T2]' lets me use DEX for damage with melee weapons with which you can use your Dexterity modifier to hit (that's why the Weapon Finesse feat is needed)
  • Deepwood Stalker is a tree I still want to use to get extra Sneak Attack die, so this isn't an extra cost just to make rapiers work
  • The Weapon Finesse feat needs to stay in, and won't be swapped out later on

So, if you decide to go with slashing weapons, instead:
  • you could drop the Weapon finesse feat @lvl 1, and instead potentially take:
    • Nimble Fingers, so you get an extra +1 Sneak Attack die from Shadowdancer's 'Technician [T1]'?
    • or maybe take Toughness, and then @level 30 take Epic Toughness?
    • Weapon focus: slash?
    • Power Critical (needs to be later because of BAB+4 requirement)?
  • You won't need the Deepwood Stalker T2 'Improved Weapon Finesse' either, as the Tempest cores cover DEX hit & dmg for both scimis and kukris. It's rapiers that require the weapon finesse feat and that enhancement.
    • you could use the 1 action point somewhere else in the same tree, or any of the other trees.
Hope this helped! :)

Note: I also added this to the main post, for others who might have the same question
Thanks for the reply, this information definitely helps. I didn't realize that rapiers weren't considered light weapons. I did notice at level 5 the tempest cores added scimitars to the list of weapons that are considered light weapons. I might have a few I might try out. Thanks again for the build description and all the details you put into it.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Hi just a suggestion re destinies and elic strikes.

On my assassin anyway I decided that the SD strike was too clumsy to use but like you I wanted Dark Imbuent as it is like a mini epic moment (of the tree anyway) and has some nice elements relating to sneak damage that seem to be more than what appears in the log.

So I use the stealth leap ‘From the Shadows’ which gives you the 10sec of Dark Imbuement. Then you can use adrenaline as your epic strike.

My technique is sneaking as an assassin then—>from shadows—>assassinate—>adrenaline—>rapid slash (vistani). Since rapid slash does not break stealth, the toon is still hidden and can explode into another attack if needed.