Kali's Dark Hunter Tempest TWF DEX Melee DPS build

Laethe

TY! That added a ton of clarity! I am now thinking..why do I have only 32 points instead of 34? I did play DDO about 10 years ago for a month on and off, but RL would not allow me to continue then. I do have a level 7 Paladin from then, and a level 1 Cleric on this account, not sure if this matters on the 34 points in any way. I think I bought some sort of package then and payed a monthly fee. Do I need to remake my toon and do something to get 34 points? It would be easy to do at this point.

Last edited:

misterski

TY! That added a ton of clarity! I am now thinking..why do I have only 32 points instead of 34? I did play DDO about 10 years ago for a month on and off, but RL would not allow me to continue then. I do have a level 7 Paladin from then, and a level 1 Cleric on this account, not sure if this matters on the 34 points in any way. I think I bought some sort of package then and payed a monthly fee. Do I need to remake my toon and do something to get 34 points? It would be easy to do at this point.
34 point builds come from your first TR on a character.

Kalibano

Build Designer. Having fun since 2006!
have you considered str based? i feel its easier to raise then dex
Hi @Hobgoblin
Going with Strength is a possibility, sure. It would open up use of heavier weapons with stronger base damage profiles.

As you mentioned, STR can generally be boosted higher than most other abilities. Having said so, there are some easiest ways to boost STR can also be used to boost DEX:
> Primal Scream (+4 morale bonus) also boosts DEX
> Tenser's Transformation scrolls (+4 alchemical bonus) also boosts DEX

I prefer Dexterity as it synergises far better with several elements of the build. Some of the key ones are:
- Reflex saves for Evasion
- Temepst's Elaborate Parry: For the next 6/12/18 seconds, you gain Dodge, Maximum Dodge, and Maximum Dexterity Bonus to light and medium armor, equal to your Dexterity Modifier. (Cooldown: 90 seconds)
- tempest's Dervish: +4 Dexterity, +10% Doublestrike. While wearing medium, light, or no armor: +10 Melee Power, +10 Physical Resistance Rating, +10 Magical Resistance Rating.
- DCs for Dark Hunter abilities, such as Smoke Trap: Toss a Smoke Grenade at a single enemy. If they fail a Fortitude save (DC20 + Dex/Int/Wis Mod + Assassinate DCs + Trap DCs) they lose their immunity to sneak attack and 25% of their fortification for 25 seconds.

I personally find Scimitars and rapiers great options because of their critical profiles, and both synergise strongly with the Tempest tree and DEX.

Last edited:

Kalibano

and just as a note you dont get evasion until 20 right?
Unfortunately not until level 26, with Shadowdancer's core 3.
Being a trapper, good reflexes would be highly desirable, even without evasion.
Elaborate parry can be used from quite early on in the game, and gives a nice defensive boost.

For those using this build for heroic lives, STR could potentially be a nice option too.

Last edited:

Hobgoblin

TY! I searched "DDO what is TR". I got back TR is True Reincarnation which is available at level 30 it states. Interesting thing this TR.
it depends on what tr you are doing

you can tr at 20 if you are not an iconic

you have to go to 30 if you are an iconic

you have to go to 30 if your wanting to do an epic reincarnation

Kalibano

Hi Laethe

Basically it is through reincarnations :) It might be worth checking these wiki pages, as it can be a little complicated:

1. 32-Point Build

2. Reincarnation
(The table below is from the section Quick Summary)
28-36-Point-builds.jpg

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:

misterski

it depends on what tr you are doing

you can tr at 20 if you are not an iconic

you have to go to 30 if you are an iconic

you have to go to 30 if your wanting to do an epic reincarnation
And note that epic reincarnation does not give a 34 or 36 point build, it's considered a lesser reincarnation for all intents and purposes.

Kalibano

As several people have requested/suggested this (particularly in Discord), I am working towards sharing the DDOBuilder files for all my builds, since I use that program to do all my planning. Hopefully they will be valuable for using in conjunction with their respective forum threads.

The main thread for this build has been updated to include this, under the main title:
12. Kali's Dark Hunter Tempest melee DPS
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Do let me know is anyone has issues downloading the file from Goggle Drive (fingers crossed I got all the settings right!)

Very hopeful this will be a useful addition to my threads: thanks to everyone who suggested this.

N.B.
I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (not this build in the image), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share my experience, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Question... if you select quicken, why are you investing in concentration?
Hey FixBows. Good question, happy to clarify :)

Unfortunately there are some spells that cannot be quickened: the healing admixtures. I just want to make sure they don't get interrupted during battle if I am healing myself/group with the bottles. Also, I don't have a particularly large spell point pool, so I don't use quicken for all my spells. Definitely always on for Snap trap and Smoke Trap.

Having a good Intelligence (for traps and Know the Angles) helps cover this without having to sacrifice other key skills.

Hope this helps!

FixBows

Hey FixBows. Good question, happy to clarify :)

Unfortunately there are some spells that cannot be quickened: the healing admixtures. I just want to make sure they don't get interrupted during battle if I am healing myself/group with the bottles. Also, I don't have a particularly large spell point pool, so I don't use quicken for all my spells. Definitely always on for Snap trap and Smoke Trap.

Having a good Intelligence (for traps and Know the Angles) helps cover this without having to sacrifice other key skills.

Hope this helps!
Ok, I guess I would ask back.... since bottle healing is exempt from quicken, which other spells need quicken that you would use in combat? If you are a low sp pool build, I would think burning an extra 10 pts on other spells may drain your sp *quickly*.

Kalibano

Ok, I guess I would ask back.... since bottle healing is exempt from quicken, which other spells need quicken that you would use in combat? If you are a low sp pool build, I would think burning an extra 10 pts on other spells may drain your sp *quickly*.
I don't really want to burn a feat on quicken tbh, and I hadn't initially when I turned this alt into a Dark Hunter. But then I started using Smoke Trap and Snap Trap, and they were just too slow. That's when I noticed they accepted quicken...

I feel quicken should have been added for free, like accelerate was. Or perhaps both traps could just be quicker, as if quicken had been auto applied to it. In any case, that's the only reason why I took quicken really.

Kalibano

Though gear sets are not considered a part of the 'core build', I do like to share what I do to provide suggestions/ inspiration.

Now that I have acquired enough items/ ingredients/ raid runes, I will be changing the gear set for my non-hybrid DPS alts (this alt included).
You can find more info in the gear section of the main post here, as well as in this thread.

Once the alts are geared up, I will update the images in the main thread. If there is enough interest, I can keep the images for the previous gear set (do let me know if you would like that)

N.B.2: Particularly important considerations I tend to abide by ref equipment are:
- I want to achieve things in my lifetime
- vast majority of weapon swaps for bonuses are absolutely out of question: annoying, irritating, not fun at all
- all my melees invest in some defensiveness and survival: being a soul stone is not only frustrating, but contribute zero DPS
- I play 23 alts: this isn't changing, it's just how I like it
-
I need to have sets of 'standard equipment suites' that:
- fit a certain group of alts (e.g. DPS alts; THF combat style alts; etc.)
- is mostly sharable via the shared bank
- also include raid items, which are BTA, and so require considerable effort​
- include several slotted augments, many of which are rare, and so require considerable effort​
- can be achieved in a timeframe when they are still desirable, rather than when they are already obsolete
Those who have a bunch of active alts are most likely to fully appreciate how hard the tetris can be to make a set work for several alts, while still ensuring all key bonuses are included!

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!

Last edited: