Kali's Paladin Knight of the Chalice THF CHA Melee DPS build

Fisto Mk I

Meltfang: Acid DoT Hit/Cast; Evil
- this is covered by the Alchemical Air Attunement ring
Earth, not Air, mmm? ;)
Air random procs too random and clearly do much worse damage than 100% proc from Meltfang/Earth ring. Second best is Water attunement, Fire/Air is pure garbage.

Sheikra

Hey! I love paladins, specifically PDK paladins, but I'm curious why you chose THF greatsword over SWF longsword/bastard sword (bsword proficiency is free as PDK deity feat).

I'm not much of an endgame grinder or anything, but I always feel like THF is weaker vs bosses, and they are pretty equal vs trash, with at least 4 cleaves available for paladin.

Mauls don't benefit from cha to hit/dmg, right? So they are basically just DR breakers? Just want to confirm that. On a side note, I wonder how good this build would be as a str based maul wielder... might look into it sounds sweet!

Matuse

Any weapon can benefit from Cha hit/damage if you use Feydark Illusionist. But for PDK racial, it's short, long, bastard, and greatswords. No mauls.

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Hey! I love paladins, specifically PDK paladins, but I'm curious why you chose THF greatsword over SWF longsword/bastard sword (bsword proficiency is free as PDK deity feat).

I'm not much of an endgame grinder or anything, but I always feel like THF is weaker vs bosses, and they are pretty equal vs trash, with at least 4 cleaves available for paladin.

Mauls don't benefit from cha to hit/dmg, right? So they are basically just DR breakers? Just want to confirm that. On a side note, I wonder how good this build would be as a str based maul wielder... might look into it sounds sweet!
Hey there :)

SWF Bastard sword KoTC Paladin is indeed a v nice option, especially when combined with the THF feats as well for hitting extra targets.
I have an alt that uses this SWF + THF Bastard sword combo: Dark Apostate/Elinghtened Spirit imbue build

I'm curious why you chose THF greatsword over SWF longsword/bastard sword (bsword proficiency is free as PDK deity feat).
I have so many alts, that for me personally, it often comes down to focusing each alt on using a specific weapon type that have some kind of strong/unique synergy. KoTC and PDK support strikethrough, and this alt had a bunch of Greatswords already, so it felt synergistic going Pally PDK for CHA to hit & dmg + PDK & Divine Might extra tactics. Hitting multiple targets via strikethrough feels great for clearing trash mobs (and clearing trash in general represents the vast majority of my playtime in dungeons). As you pointed out, it is potentially weaker vs bosses compared to other faster styles, but I can personally live with that :)

Mauls don't benefit from cha to hit/dmg, right? So they are basically just DR breakers? Just want to confirm that.
The Maul, as you said, is basically for DR breaking if/when needed, but mostly because it seemed a nice deity option. They don't benefit from CHA via the PDK tree, that's right, so you'd need a bit of STR (which you need to have beacause of the THF feats req anyway) or some investment into the Feydark Illusionist tree.

If the sentient gem ever gets separated from the weapon to live in its own slot someday (and weapon swaps in general become desirable again), then this build would have the potential to benefit from Mauls as DR breakers while keeping sentient bonuses (if like me, you can't afford several full sentient gems for each alt). Mauls won't benefit from the PDK bonuses to tactics, so GS is still the best option on the many occasions when CC is desirable.

...with at least 4 cleaves available for paladin.
Note: the Paladin KoTC cleaves share a cooldown with the cleave and GCleave feats, so it's basically 2 cleaves that they have (unless you take Whirlwind or other ED options). Sunder does a cleave animation, but it's a bit slow. However, because it synergises with Divine Crusader, I personally use it often, despite is annoying speed.

I wonder how good this build would be as a str based maul wielder... might look into it sounds sweet!
Not saying STR is inferior or not viable, but I personally find CHA synergises amazingly well with Paladins in general, but especially so with KoTC:
- aura bonus to saves
- lay on hands
- Divine Might
- Smite Evil
- Holy retribution [KotC T5]

Hope these comments were helpful, and that you enjoy the build if you decide to give it at try! :)

Last edited:

Sheikra

Note: the Paladin KoTC cleaves share a cooldown with the cleave and GCleave feats, so it's basically 2 cleaves that they have (unless you take Whirlwind or other ED options). Sunder does a cleave animation, but it's a bit slow. However, because it synergises with Divine Crusader, I personally use it often, despite is annoying speed.

Not saying STR is inferior or not viable, but I personally find CHA synergises amazingly well with Paladins in general, but especially so with KoTC:
- aura bonus to saves
- lay on hands
- Divine Might
- Smite Evil
- Holy retribution [KotC T5]

Hope these comments were helpful, and that you enjoy the build if you decide to give it at try! :)
I few things to clarify:

4 cleaves:
Exalted cleave
Avenging cleave
Holy retribution (insta kill cleave)
Exalted Smite (big smackeroo cleave)

Additionally, I agree that charisma synergizes super awesome with paladin, and especially if you are PDK. Both of the swords I mentioned, longsword and bsword, work with the same charisma to hit/dmg enhancement you are already getting, and would therefore be easily swappable (obviously you have to change feats too, I just mean you don't have to waste a bunch of points in feydark tree).

Thanks for the responses!

Kalibano

I few things to clarify:

4 cleaves:
Exalted cleave
Avenging cleave
Holy retribution (insta kill cleave)
Exalted Smite (big smackeroo cleave)
I see what you mean now, ya, 4 awesome cleaves for sure :)

Both of the swords I mentioned, longsword and bsword, work with the same charisma to hit/dmg enhancement you are already getting, and would therefore be easily swappable (obviously you have to change feats too, I just mean you don't have to waste a bunch of points in feydark tree).
Sure thing: that other build I linked (Dark Apostate/Elinghtened Spirit imbue build) uses Bastard swords with SWF + THF, PDK CHA based basically, so I totally get what you are saying. I also use Divine Crusader there, so it's almost like a paladin build.

Your suggestion would indeed make a very nice alternative set up for playing KoTC pally!

Rhunah

Hi, thank you for the work you do with your guides. One more ETR and one ITR then I'm done with the Iconic Pastlifes and I would like to farm some gear. If I only have Echo of Blackrazor or the Dryadraid greatsword, do I have to change anything about the enhancement or your equipment?

Kalibano

Hi, thank you for the work you do with your guides.
Hi Rhunah,

Thank you for your message, and so pleased to know you enjoy my build guides :)

One more ETR and one ITR then I'm done with the Iconic Pastlifes and I would like to farm some gear. If I only have Echo of Blackrazor or the Dryadraid greatsword, do I have to change anything about the enhancement or your equipment?
Using those swords while farming gear sounds like a solid plan. You'll want to add one more item to get the 5-piece Forbidden Knowledge set, as Outburst is part of this set. You won't need to change anything else really :)

Hope you enjoy this build!

Rhunah

A question about Strikethrough and Cleave.
I remember that Strikethrough and Holy Retribution are sufficient for groups of enemies and it is therefore not necessary to use Cleave etc.
Has this changed or why do you skill the two Cleave attacks?

Kalibano

A question about Strikethrough and Cleave.
I remember that Strikethrough and Holy Retribution are sufficient for groups of enemies and it is therefore not necessary to use Cleave etc.
Has this changed or why do you skill the two Cleave attacks?
Hey there,

This build indeed benefits from strikethrough on all its attacks, and as you pointed out, Holy Retribution is an AoE attack as well.

However, the Knight of the Chalice cleaves are, in my opinion, still worth taking because of the extra damage that has been added to special attacks in the last few updates (which replaced +[W]):
  • Avenging Cleave (shares cooldown with Greater Cleave): +40% damage
  • Exalted attack (shares cooldown with cleave): +10% damage
> Avenging Cleave also applies a stack of Vulnerability on each hit​
All in all they seem worth it, at least for me, particularly vs bosses, since trash tends to die quite fast in the current state of the game.

Hope this clarified things! :)

Last edited:

Kalibano

Weapon critical profile section updated to include:
> breakdowns of the threat range and multiplier​
> average additional base damage %​
- for weapon crit profile (after feats/compentence bonuses applied)​
- for crit profile boosts (e.g. on 19-20 rolls)​

Hope this extra info is helpful.

Kalibano

Hi again,
I'm thinking about replacing your rings with the
Rockslide Ring https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Rockslide_Ring
and the
Ring of Spring Storms https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Ring_of_Spring's_Storms
Is there synergy with Outburst on the last one?

If not, I tend to forgo Outburst in favour of the attuned dinoweapon for cost reasons and only purchase the one corresponding ring.
Hey Rhunah :) Happy to share some thoughts:

The Leg Ring of Flame and Frost is actually part of a set (Leg Temple's Inferno, see below), that I use mostly for the extra helpless bonus:
Paladin-Ko-TC-New-set-bonuses-overview.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't replace it, as it supplements the Devil's infernal Dance set with the bonus that is missing there (helpless damage). The melee power bonuses won't stack, as they are of the same type (artifact).

It's really up to you :)

The other ring was mostly for the extra damage from 'Alchemical Attunement'. The acid version of that raid ring does more damage, but at the time I planned this gear set, I thought I'd try the electric one, in the hope that perhaps some of the enhancements on the Outburst weapon would scale with electric spell power. That does not seem to be the case (though I am not fully certain).

On a personal note: I am not keen to spend a bunch of runes to change to the Acid raid ring because I have 23 alts (some of whom still need items from those raids too!)

So, though I would use the Acid version, I prefer my forum builds to reflect my real characters in game, rather than be theorycraft, so until it is changed in game, I plan to keep the electric one listed there.

So, I don't recommend the Ring of spring storms: effects on Outburst do not seem to scale with electric spell power.

I find the 'Alchemical Attunement' effect highly valuable: I wouldn't replace it.
If you decide to do so, the Rockslide ring might not be a very strong option. I can see how the insightful combat mastery would be useful, but this build uses Divine Might, which in effect grants the same type of bonus (insightful) to all tactics, and you are able to achieve a much higher value than items can give, since Divine Might is based on your CHA score.

I hope these comments are helpful!

Last edited:

Rhunah

Thank you for your detailed answer. I completely overlooked the Devils inferno set.
I think I still have the ring with frost attunement on the bench, that will have to do for the time being. I don't often get to raid and even less often to Master Artificer.

Kalibano

If not, I tend to forgo Outburst in favour of the attuned dinoweapon for cost reasons and only purchase the one corresponding ring.
Forgot to add a comment ref Outburst: it's part of the 5-piece Vecna set (profane bonus). If you replace that for the Dino weapon (which is a great choice too, tbh), I'd consider replacing the Vecna profane set for the Dread profane set.

I share some suggestions for both gear set ups in this thread. Hope it helps with your own gear tetris :)

Kalibano

Thank you for your detailed answer. I completely overlooked the Devils inferno set.
The Leg Ring of Flame and Frost is part of the Leg Temple's Inferno set, not the Devil's one :)

Though the Devil's and Temple's sets give the same type of bonus (artifact), I use the Temple set to get helpess damage, which is missing from the Devil's set bonuses. It's basically 2 items to get that bonus, rather than having to spare 3 items to fit the Set Agument: Cruel Cut (which requires a lot of raiding, so based on your playstyle, would probably not be a desirable option).

I think I still have the ring with frost attunement on the bench, that will have to do for the time being. I don't often get to raid and even less often to Master Artificer.
The Frost version of the raid ring seems to be considered by many as the second best of the Alchemical Attunements (so, second to the Acid one).
Seems like a good choice to use, in light of your personal restrictions ref raiding (y)

Last edited: