Kali's Paladin Knight of the Chalice THF CHA Melee DPS build

Hammatimes

Wow, the gear summary on the right is really nice, great job with these. Quality Sheltering is a weird one because there's a few items that can grant up to +20 but they depend on things like Divine lore or dragonmark enhancements. You could also specify the weight of the armor, I personally tend to use medium for the extra dodge chance over prr.

For anyone else who was unfamiliar,

NB: An abbreviation for the Latin phrase nota bene, meaning “note well.” It is used to emphasize an important point.

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
The main post has been edited to include buttons to click and expand info.
I used the spoiler tool, as it provided the effect I desired: there are no spoilers, though :)

The aim was to reduce potential visual overload, as well as the overall length of the main post. This creates potential to include more breakdowns.

I'd be keen to hear feedback from anyone who frequently visits my threads: do you prefer this layout?
I am working slowly towards doing the same for all other builds: hope this enhances everyone's experience when visiting and exploring!

nenetteblackmoor

Kalibano, I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but does 'Assassinate' work with Paladins as well?
I always thought it was a parameter exclusive to Rogues.

Or is Imp Deception important?

Last edited:

Kalibano

Kalibano, I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but does 'Assassinate' work with Paladins as well?
I always thought it was a parameter exclusive to Rogues.

Or is Imp Deception important?
Hey @nenetteblackmoor

Please ask away, no problems at all :)

The set I posted is more of a 'generic' DPS one, which I shared in this thread. It is meant to include the key bonuses DPS characters can benefit from, and it is very much intended for it to be tweaked more specifically to the class/race/build people want. There is no 'one set fits all' really, so though this approach might be unusual, it has proven particularly useful to me personally, since I have several alts.

Indeed, this paladin build does not use assassinate at all, so the gloves will definitely be swapped. I am nearly done with my tweaks, and will post it here too.

Improved Deception is actually VERY useful for any DPS build, as it makes a target temporarily vulnerable to sneak attack damage, so you can dish out the damage you pick up from Deception items and any sneak attack die as well (feats, gear, EDs like Shadowdancer, etc.). The bracers have this effect, so it will not be a loss dropping the gloves.

Wiki: "Improved Deception: This item makes your weapons hard to focus upon and thus provides a +5 enhancement bonus to Bluff checks. In addition, while using this item your weapons have a chance to envelop the target in darkness, making them vulnerable to sneak attacks for a short time."

Hope this clarifies things!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Potential new gear set (Vecna items) for this build

Added two alternative DPS versions of the Vecna DPS set in the main posts: clicking here will take you there.

This first gear set is the one I am most likely to use, as it does not involve re-rolling the Gem of Many Facets.
It also gives more combat mastery, which for me is preferrable overall. Very pleased with how it all fell into place nicely in terms of the bonuses I wanted to secure: particularly excited about all the extra dmg!

The second alternative would involve re-rolling the Gem to get the right set bonus. As I have enough alts that require gems to roll for, this is far less desirable, but nevertheless, a possible option for others.

Hope people find them useful!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Thank you, Kalibano!
My doubts are cleared up!

I'm a Paladin wielding a Great Sword, and I've been struggling to figure out how to effectively implement the new Vecna Set.
This post has been very helpful.

It's a tough decision on how many Thread of Fate to use in the gamble with the Gem of Many Facets.

Just thought I'd let you know that I put together another gear set (i.e. there are two options for the pally build) that doesn't require the Gem :)
I added it to the main post: clicking here will take you there.

It's highly likely to be the option I will take too, as I have enough alts that require gems to roll for.

The key differences seem to be:
- less PRR
- no Improved Deception (not great, but a bigger loss to those who play solo a lot)

- more MRR
- more combat mastery

Hope this extra option helps with your own gear tetris :)

Last edited:

Kalibano

Gear + filigrees fully updated in the live game
The plan is for a similar layout to be used for all my builds, once time allows.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Scrag

You have elec spellpower/crit. There is nothing other than outburst that uses spellpower/crit. From other posts, outburst uses purely melee power for damage.

Can you clarify if you are seeing different results, slotting for elec spellpower?

Kalibano

You have elec spellpower/crit. There is nothing other than outburst that uses spellpower/crit. From other posts, outburst uses purely melee power for damage.

Can you clarify if you are seeing different results, slotting for elec spellpower?
Hi Scrag,

I planned this gear set just as the Vecna raid was released. The hope, at that point, was that the following effects would benefit from electric spellpower:
- Alchemical Air Attunement (ring)
- Unleash storm (Vecna raid weapon upgrade)
Also:
- Stormreaver's Thunderclap + Sov Lighting strike (tbh I did not expect them to, but wanted to check. It doesn't seem they scale)

I haven't been able to confirm that the Vecna effect is scalling. It seems the alchemical attunement does, but I cannot say for sure.

Until I find out, (and there is kind of a lack of a really good alternative ring), I am personally happy to keep it on.

Do you, by any chance, happen to know for sure if they scale with spellpower? Thanks in advance for the info, if you do :)
I'd be keen to know the source of the info too, if you wouldn't mind of course.

Last edited:

Scrag

Hi Scrag,

I planned this gear set just as the Vecna raid was released. The hope, at that point, was that the following effects would benefit from electric spellpower:
- Alchemical Air Attunement (ring)
- Unleash storm (Vecna raid weapon upgrade)
Also:
- Stormreaver's Thunderclap + Sov Lighting strike (tbh I did not expect them to, but wanted to check. It doesn't seem they scale)

I haven't been able to confirm that the Vecna effect is scalling. It seems the alchemical attunement does, but I cannot say for sure.

Until I find out, (and there is kind of a lack of a really good alternative ring), I am personally happy to keep it on.

Do you, by any chance, happen to know for sure if they scale with spellpower? Thanks in advance for the info, if you do :)
I'd be keen to know the source of the info too, if you wouldn't mind of course.
-> https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/unusual-weapon-damage.7248/ <- Ignoring some of the people being jerks, the consensus is that it is typed slashing by weapon type/source, so it would scale with melee power.

As to the effects, that is just raw damage seems like, based on test commentary on ddowiki.

I haven't tried a side by side analysis with a lighting spellpower item to be 100% though. To the training dummies?

PraetorPlato

On weapon attacks, attunement does not (lam testing). Because of that, most of the outburst affixes are generally considered worse for DPS than debuffs

Kalibano

On weapon attacks, attunement does not (lam testing)...
Thanks for sharing this info, PraetorPlato.

Assuming Alchemical Attunement is a copy of the Legendary Greensteel effects, it would seem to match what the wiki reports for it too:
Legendary Air StrikeAttacks and spells have a chance [around ~1%] to deal massive electrical damage [around 2,000 (melee no buff)/around 10,000 (spell with spell amplifier), single target].

> Ref Scrag's question about how this build benefits from electric spellpower:
This build does use an AoE spell every 20 secs: Consecration. It is an intrinsic part of the build (as it does CC and cause helplessness, as well as some extra fire dmg), so not used solely to proc effects. It does, therefore, seem to benefit from spellpower scaling dmg via spellcasting. Prayer is another spell that I personally cast frequently, and which seems to be applying the Air attunement dmg (not properly tested this, though).

This might explain why I see a wide range of values for the Alchemical Air Attunement dmg: sometimes it is triggered by a spell (Consecration), and other times via melee hits. With the amount of electric dmg it does in general because of Outburst, it is sometimes hard to pinpoint these in combat.

On weapon attacks, ... most of the outburst affixes are generally considered worse for DPS than debuffs
> I get that it is 'generally' considered worse, but I suppose context around the 'generally' might be worth being considered in some detail, if I may:
  • in the current state of the game, many enemies die too quickly in general, so potentially too quickly for stacks of some de-buffs to build enough to make a significant impact
  • boss fights are perhaps where de-buffs matter the most
> even here, most de-buffs stack up to a maximum number, so after the max is reached, de-buff weapons are potentially not as efficient dmg-wise. Sure, they help keep the stacks up, but it wouldn't require a entire party of characters for the upkeep​
> in this sense, it would seem counter-productive to have all party members applying the same de-buffs: some could potentially contribute higher DPS by using weapons like Outburst, which focuses on lots of burst dmg being amplified by the de-buffs​
> surely, some groups/guilds coordinate who will use which de-buffs, so others can concentrate on DPS, but this optimisation is highly unlikely to be done by the vast minority of the groups that do quests/raids in the game​
  • solo play is perhaps another style where de-buffs would potentially matter more, as there would be a sole source of de-buffs

> All in all, for my personal playstyle (mostly groups at endgame) I am personally happy with this choice of gear for my paladin.

The alternative I frequently use on my DPS alts would be a Dino weapon with the following effects:
Meltscale: 15d6 Acid; Crystral+Byeshk
- imo, this is covered by Outburst's procs​
Meltfang: Acid DoT Hit/Cast; Evil
- this is covered by the Alchemical Air Attunement ring​
Claw: +02 excep {ability}
- though is useful (particularly for CC DCs), I can't say it was a significant loss​
Brighthorn: Affirmation +1k HP Hit/Cast
- this can be obtained by a swappable item (I use the Staff of Summer from Dryad): ya it's annoying, and ends up triggering less often, but it is not a complete loss of this effect​

> This build generates a nice amount of vulnerability stacks via:
- KoTC's Avenging Cleave [T5]: Make a sweeping weapon attack against all nearby enemies for +40% damage. Damaged enemies gains one stack of Vulnerability. Shares its cooldown with the Great Cleave feat. Vulnerability: You take 1% more damage for 3 seconds. This effect stacks up to 20 times, and loses one stack on expiration.​
- Divine Crusader's Bring Down Wrath [T5]: Your weapon attacks now apply a stack of Vulnerability and Armor Destruction on Critical Hits. (1 second cooldown on the debuff application).​

Last edited:

PraetorPlato

JSYK, Meltfang (alchemical acid attunement) and Sparkfang (alchemical air attunement) are distinct stacking effects, meltfang is significantly higher DPS.

Kalibano

JSYK, Meltfang (alchemical acid attunement) and Sparkfang (alchemical air attunement) are distinct stacking effects, meltfang is significantly higher DPS.
Fair point, as Acid being higher DPS does seem to be the case.

At the time I planned the gear set (Vecna raid release), I particularly hoped the 'Unleashed Storm' effect would benefit from spellpower scaling too, so the Air ring seemed the most synergistic option. I still haven't seen definitive confirmation that it doesn't scale (inc via spellcasting).

There's still scope to swap the Air ring for Acid at any point really :)

Fire would synergise with Consecration's dmg, but it's proc rate is very low, and is far more resisted than Acid and Electric in general.

Last edited: