Kali's Wizard Pale Master Insta-kill + CC Caster build

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover since 2006!
As several people have requested/suggested this (particularly in Discord), I am working towards sharing the DDOBuilder files for all my builds, since I use that program to do all my planning. Hopefully they will be valuable for using in conjunction with their respective forum threads.

The main thread for this build has been updated to include this, under the main title:
5. Kali's Wizard Pale Master Insta-kill + CC caster build
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Do let me know is anyone has issues downloading the file from Goggle Drive (fingers crossed I got all the settings right!)

Very hopeful this will be a useful addition to my threads: thanks to everyone who suggested this.

N.B.
I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (this build is actually in the image as of Aug 2023), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share my experience, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Scrag

Downloaded the build! This is much easier than trying to crib off of the pictures on the website and clicking expand and closing :)

Thank you!

I intend to run t his build next life.

Kalibano

After Time Stop nerf Magus still appealing? ;)
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Some of the points I have been considering:
- bosses stopping and not attacking was obvious (at least to me) as never intended, and it's just cheese: I don't build characters around cheese/ exploits (possibly why I am so disinterested in 'meta' building, as some do build around this). So, this particular aspect of the fix has no impact on my decision whatsoever
- if I am not wrong, there are no other effects in the game that make bosses take helpless damage, so Time Stop is still pretty unique, and still very desirable for this reason alone
- helpless damage alone is an extra 50% damage (base) for everyone in the party, which again, is very desirable vs bosses
- as per quote below by Torc, they are considering raising the helpless damage further, which sounds very promising: tough it won't be as strong as before, in my eyes it's still a very desirable ability overall

it will stack with "generic" vulnerability, so say 20% from vul stacks, +60% from Time Stop would result in 180% damage, however now looking at how the helpless damage mod factored in, we're going to have to raise this higher I think...

- apart from Weird (which is amazing, no denying that!), Shadowdancer is still pretty terrible for a pure caster at tier 5
- my build already benefits from what I consider the best bits from SD (tiers 1-3): even T4 is not that great for a pure caster
- Shadowdancer is pretty lackluster when it comes to boss damage
- prior to going Magus, my wizard was an insta-kill force specced build in SD for several months: what gave boss damage on that build was Archmage tier 5, not SD:
Arcane Supremacy: Your offensive spells gain a 10% chance to trigger Arcane Supremacy. Arcane Supremacy: +25% Spell Critical Chance, +100% Spell Critical Damage. 12 seconds duration. This effect may trigger only once every 90 seconds.
(and still wasn't that great, because the damage from the Archamge SLAs had not, at that time, been fixed to do better damage like now)

- Magus still fulfils the aims of my build and suits my playstyle for this alt perfectly:
> nullmagic in general is a hidden gem, more handy than many people realise​
> Moon's shadow is very strong, in contrast to SD's lack of boss damage (not to mention 7 stacks of arcane pulse + DoT from Dark Light of the Moon's zone effect)​

So, all in all, I am inclined to keep it, based on:
- my personal experience playing both destinies at endgame​
- the aims for my build and the role I want it to perform​
- my individual playstyle​

Just to clarify: SD is a nice option too, no doubt about that. Weird is well worth the investment. It's just not for me on this build: I use it on my bard inquisitive, as I feel it offers a lot more for hybrid builds :)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Magus and the Time Stop nerf, Fisto, if you care to share them of course.
Am I right to assume that you have an insta-kill wizard at endgame using Shadowdancer? No worries at all if not, your comments will definitely be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Tuxedomanwashere

Question. What has been your go-to target for Flesh to Stone? It seems you have a focus on Necromancy and Illusion, and it looks like your Transmutation DCs should be even lower than your Conjuration and Evocation (because it doesn't look like you have an augment for that). Plus it's subject to spell resistance and is quite particular about the type of monster you can use it on.

Also, I noticed that you don't have G. Shout for a nice AoE daze against low fort mobs. Is there a better alternative that you have taken for your lvl 8 spells?

Last edited:

Kalibano

Question.

Hey there :) Thanks for posting questions, happy to share some thoughts:

What has been your go-to target for Flesh to Stone? It seems you have a focus on Necromancy and Illusion, and it looks like your Transmutation DCs should be even lower than your Conjuration and Evocation (because it doesn't look like you have an augment for that). Plus it's subject to spell resistance and is quite particular about the type of monster you can use it on.
Though Deep Gnome's Greater Color Spray [T2] does a great job to CC mobs that are immune to hold, there are times when I find it useful to lock an enemy on the spot, rather than let it roam around (e.g. when blinded): so that's one kind of use for this spell.

I sometimes use it on some undead, and perhaps more frequently on quests that make it desirable to keep monsters alive + CCed rather than killing them (e.g. Mark of Death, use on the archers + beholder; or Skelly raid for the skelly archers).

In general, can't say I use it very frequently, though, as the DCs are not maximised (as you pointed out). It's there for when its useful (and for lack of better options from lvl 6 spells really).

Also, I noticed that you don't have G. Shout for a nice AoE daze against low fort mobs. Is there a better alternative that you have taken for your lvl 8 spells?
My spell list, for ease of access when reading comments below:
Wiz-Pale-Master-Spells.jpg

Some brief comments on my level 8 spell selection:
- Trap the Soul: a must have for an insta-kill build, and being WILL save based, it's an irreplaceable spell
- Otto's Irresistible: no save, single-target. I use it more often than what I would like (being a melee range spell!), but it's there for any pesky mobs that happen to chase me (while other CC spells are on cooldown, or being used on a larger group of mobs behind this one mob). Since evocation is not one of the key schools for this build, I personally would not trade Otto's for it, despite G Shout being AoE.
- Arcane tempest: great for boosting DPS, particularly vs bosses / large groups of held mobs
- Polar Ray: high damage, single target, and no save, which makes it very strong.
- Sunburst: particularly useful vs undead and oozes (and in specific places like THTH). It's also evocation-based, so perhaps some would consider it the ideal candidate to replace for G Shout. I would personally not do so because:
> Sunburst can be cast from very far away (this build uses enlarge) vs G Shout at melee range​
> it does extra dmg vs oozes + undead (or insta-kill undead if fail save), and G Shout doesn't do extra dmg vs specific mobs​
> Damage comparison:​
- Sunburst: 1d6+4 light damage per caster level (max caster level 25)​
- G Shout: 1d6+3 sonic damage per caster level (max caster level 20)​
> it blinds enemies, so it also has a CC component​
> though sonic damage is quite likely resisted less by mobs, the reasons above still make me choose Sunburst rather than G Shout​
Hope these comments are helpful, and very keen to hear your take on this, if you would care to share some thoughts, ofc :)

Last edited:

Kalibano

The main post has been edited to include buttons to click and expand info.
I used the spoiler tool, as it provided the effect I desired: there are no spoilers, though :)

The aim was to reduce potential visual overload, as well as the overall length of the main post. This creates potential to include more breakdowns.

I'd be keen to hear feedback from anyone who frequently visits my threads: do you prefer this layout?
I am working slowly towards doing the same for all other builds: hope this enhances everyone's experience when visiting and exploring!

I wanted to ask. I was thinking of doing a chain of caster lifes and just had fun with sorcerer again. How do you feel going to a build like this would be for someone coming off a sorc life? Is it more about crowd control/insta kills or do you still get the "kill everything you breathe on" feeling with this?

Kalibano

I wanted to ask. I was thinking of doing a chain of caster lifes and just had fun with sorcerer again. How do you feel going to a build like this would be for someone coming off a sorc life? Is it more about crowd control/insta kills or do you still get the "kill everything you breathe on" feeling with this?
Hey there
This build in particular is all about CC and insta-kills. It does have access to a large number of insta-kill spells, but the vast majority are single-target. If you don't mind lots of clicking, you can clear packs fairly easily (though sometimes one mob at a time). To me personally, the 'inta-kill sprees' feel fairly quick.

The way I like to play it normally (not always, ofc) involves:
- a mass de-buff (crushing despair),
- mass hold (helps everyone with extra helpless dmg, and increase survival for all)
- mass insta-kills followed by single insta-kills (while mass are on cooldown)
- some dmg spells in between, depending on encounter

It's not going to feel like a nuker, but you might enjoy it. I'd say give it a go, and if not for you, perhaps tweak for heavier focus on offensive spells? I don't think Wizards are as powerful ref nuking as Sorcs, or Druids: but they might achieve your personal aims and suit your playstyle (at least for the Wizard past lives) :)

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Has this changed since the archmage updates? Lower ap cost and whatnot...
I updated recently, so it should be up-to-date w changes:
Main thread updated with Balance adjustments made in U61:
Archmage Changes:
- Several abilities are cheaper now, so there was room to pick up a couple of new things
- added Improved Quickening [T2]​
- added spell critical chance [T3]​

I will double-check in game again, in any case :)

Hey there
This build in particular is all about CC and insta-kills. It does have access to a large number of insta-kill spells, but the vast majority are single-target. If you don't mind lots of clicking, you can clear packs fairly easily (though sometimes one mob at a time). To me personally, the 'inta-kill sprees' feel fairly quick.

The way I like to play it normally (not always, ofc) involves:
- a mass de-buff (crushing despair),
- mass hold (helps everyone with extra helpless dmg, and increase survival for all)
- mass insta-kills followed by single insta-kills (while mass are on cooldown)
- some dmg spells in between, depending on encounter

It's not going to feel like a nuker, but you might enjoy it. I'd say give it a go, and if not for you, perhaps tweak for heavier focus on offensive spells? I don't think Wizards are as powerful ref nuking as Sorcs, or Druids: but they might achieve your personal aims and suit your playstyle (at least for the Wizard past lives) :)

Hope this helped!
I see.
Thank you for letting me know. Sorcerer/Wizard are some of my favorite DND classes but I've always felt weird when I tried to play wizard here vs sorc. The good thing with this being an iconic life is starting at 15 will let me find out real fast if I prefer the build or not and if I don't getting to 30 would be relatively quick. Ty for the guide.

Returning player who has a full Feywild set. I notice that your gear does not include the Vecna expansion at all. Is that intended and determined it is not as good for a Palemaster? I am going to have to farm some gear and I am just wondering if I spend the time going after the Isle of Dread stuff but find out after that I should of done the Vecna. Not going to lie both sets look like they could be great, I just can't do the math to find out which is better.
Also am curious if you know, how many more DC's do you think you get with your set compared to a full 7 peice/4 peice Feywild set? There are so many bonuses that I worry I might be losing so many things for the next gear.

Kalibano

Returning player who has a full Feywild set. I notice that your gear does not include the Vecna expansion at all. Is that intended and determined it is not as good for a Palemaster? I am going to have to farm some gear and I am just wondering if I spend the time going after the Isle of Dread stuff but find out after that I should of done the Vecna. Not going to lie both sets look like they could be great, I just can't do the math to find out which is better.
Also am curious if you know, how many more DC's do you think you get with your set compared to a full 7 peice/4 peice Feywild set? There are so many bonuses that I worry I might be losing so many things for the next gear.
Hey there :) Welcome back to DDO!

Happy to share some thoughts on this, hopefully it's helpful :)

> Some personal preferences/considerations that are likely to influence my comments:
  • spell DCs is definitely my main aim for this build, as insta-kills + CC are its main focus
  • however, DCs will not be maximised to the complete detriment of offensive casting, as there is plenty in game that can't be dealt with via insta-kills + CC (e.g. bosses), and I solo frequently enough for this to matter to me. I personally find this build has reached a good balance in this respect
  • as I do not have a bunch of past lives and the free defensiveness that come with them, I choose to use the 4-piece winter set, as I am more useful alive than as a soul stone
  • at first glance, the Vecna set did not seem worth changing to. Since then, I have been concentrating on re-gearing my DPS characters. Maybe this initial impression will change once I get to re-evaluating my casters?
  • I don't do 'meta', so you won't find any 'best in slot' comments here. What I am offering is what works well for me.

> Ref the Autumn set:
Prior to my current gear set, I was using 7-piece Autumn and 4-piece Winter. I have found the current gear set superior in general, while covering the key bonuses Autumn gave:
  • 3 Pieces: +6% Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Critical Chance (covered by Elder's Knowledge)
  • 5 Pieces: +3 Artifact bonus to Intelligence (covered by Dreadkeeper)
  • 6 Pieces: +3 Artifact bonus to Spell DCs (covered by Dreadkeeper)
  • 7 Pieces: +15% Legendary bonus to Universal Spell Critical Damage (covered by Elder's Knowledge)
> The bonuses that are not covered are not worth 7 gear slots (in my opinion):​
2 Pieces Equipped: +25 Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Power​
4 Pieces Equipped: +10% Legendary bonus to Maximum Spellpoints​

> Dreadkeeper also boosts offensive casting​
  • +30 Artifact bonus to Negative, Poison, and Force Spell Power
  • +6% Artifact bonus to Negative, Poison, and Force Spell Crit Chance

> Ref Dread items and the bonuses needed to make DCs work:
I did not go for the Dread profane set bonus because:
> it would take 5 item slots to give bonuses that could be acquired elsewhere:​
> +2 profane INT is obtainable via the Epic Litany augment​
> +2 profane spell DCs is obtainable via many named items​
> profane spell power is not available elsewhere, but it's not my main focus​
Note: the 5-piece Vecna profane set (level 32) gives +3 profane INT and Spell DCs, much like the 5-piece Abishai set (level 30). I personally feel the 5-piece Dread set (level 31) should also give +3, rather than +2, and have reported this discrepancy to the Devs as a potential issue.
I personally feel this might get addressed at some point, which would make acquiring the Vecna set less desirable to me personally.

The gear set I am currently using include a couple of Dread items, and have the main bonuses you'd want for a DC caster
> The Dino artefact allows the following bonuses to be added (otherwise harder to fit):​
+15 enhancement INT bonus​
sacred DCs​
insightful + quality Negative spell crit damage​

> The Dino 1-handed weapon allows the following bonuses to be added (otherwise harder to fit):​
+2 exceptional INT​
Alchemical attunement damage​
LGS effect (salt being my personal choice)​
Note: The 2-handed Dino weapon gives a +2 exceptional bonus to spell DCs, but imo there is more flexibility with an alchemical orb offhand​
> Alchemical orbs gives permanent +2 alchemical INT, as well as extra Attunement dmg and flexibility for boosting offensive spellcasting​

> Ref Vecna items:
At first glance, the caster weapon from the raid (and the extras that can be unlocked with ingredients) seem to focus on offensive casting and DPS, and would not offer the DC bonuses that the Dino weapons do.

All in all, unlikely I will go for Vecna, but that's me.

Hope these were helpful, and apologies if the response was a bit long! :)

Last edited:
Hey there :) Welcome back to DDO!

Happy to share some thoughts on this, hopefully it's helpful :)

> Some personal preferences/considerations that are likely to influence my comments:
  • spell DCs is definitely my main aim for this build, as insta-kills + CC are its main focus
  • however, DCs will not be maximised to the complete detriment of offensive casting, as there is plenty in game that can't be dealt with via insta-kills + CC (e.g. bosses), and I solo frequently enough for this to matter to me. I personally find this build has reached a good balance in this respect
  • as I do not have a bunch of past lives and the free defensiveness that come with them, I choose to use the 4-piece winter set, as I am more useful alive than as a soul stone
  • at first glance, the Vecna set did not seem worth changing to. Since then, I have been concentrating on re-gearing my DPS characters. Maybe this initial impression will change once I get to re-evaluating my casters?
  • I don't do 'meta', so you won't find any 'best in slot' comments here. What I am offering is what works well for me.

> Ref the Autumn set:
Prior to my current gear set, I was using 7-piece Autumn and 4-piece Winter. I have found the current gear set superior in general, while covering the key bonuses Autumn gave:
  • 3 Pieces: +6% Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Critical Chance (covered by Elder's Knowledge)
  • 5 Pieces: +3 Artifact bonus to Intelligence (covered by Dreadkeeper)
  • 6 Pieces: +3 Artifact bonus to Spell DCs (covered by Dreadkeeper)
  • 7 Pieces: +15% Legendary bonus to Universal Spell Critical Damage (covered by Elder's Knowledge)
> The bonuses that are not covered are not worth 7 gear slots (in my opinion):​
2 Pieces Equipped: +25 Artifact bonus to Universal Spell Power​
4 Pieces Equipped: +10% Legendary bonus to Maximum Spellpoints​

> Dreadkeeper also boosts offensive casting​
  • +30 Artifact bonus to Negative, Poison, and Force Spell Power
  • +6% Artifact bonus to Negative, Poison, and Force Spell Crit Chance

> Ref Dread items and the bonuses needed to make DCs work:
I did not go for the Dread profane set bonus because:
> it would take 5 item slots to give bonuses that could be acquired elsewhere:​
> +2 profane INT is obtainable via the Epic Litany augment​
> +2 profane spell DCs is obtainable via many named items​
> profane spell power is not available elsewhere, but it's not my main focus​
Note: the 5-piece Vecna profane set (level 32) gives +3 profane INT and Spell DCs, much like the 5-piece Abishai set (level 30). I personally feel the 5-piece Dread set (level 31) should also give +3, rather than +2, and have reported this discrepancy to the Devs as a potential issue.
I personally feel this might get addressed at some point, which would make acquiring the Vecna set less desirable to me personally.

The gear set I am currently using include a couple of Dread items, and have the main bonuses you'd want for a DC caster
> The Dino artefact allows the following bonuses to be added (otherwise harder to fit):​
+15 enhancement INT bonus​
sacred DCs​
insightful + quality Negative spell damage​

> The Dino 1-handed weapon allows the following bonuses to be added (otherwise harder to fit):​
+2 exceptional INT​
Alchemical attunement damage​
LGS effect (salt being my personal choice)​
Note: The 2-handed Dino weapon gives a +2 exceptional bonus to spell DCs, but imo there is more flexibility with an alchemical orb offhand​
> Alchemical orbs gives permanent +2 alchemical INT, as well as extra Attunement dmg and flexibility for boosting offensive spellcasting​

> Ref Vecna items:
At first glance, the caster weapon from the raid (and the extras that can be unlocked with ingredients) seem to focus on offensive casting and DPS, and would not offer the DC bonuses that the Dino weapons do.

All in all, unlikely I will go for Vecna, but that's me.

Hope these were helpful, and apologies if the response was a bit long! :)
This write up was great. Much easier for me to visualize both sets. Just for curiosity, what named peice did you use that had the +2 profane spell DC?

Thanks!

Kalibano

This write up was great. Much easier for me to visualize both sets. Just for curiosity, what named peice did you use that had the +2 profane spell DC?

Thanks!
Found some notes I kept on previous gear. It seems I had the following pieces (at some point in time while wearing Autumn):
Helm: Feydark Faerielights
Neck: Leg Amber Pendant (equipment + insightful spell DCs; quality Necro DCs)
Gloves: Gloryborne gloves (sacred spell DCs)
Weapon: Staff Winter Solstice (profane spell DCs)

Note
Profane DC items from feywild:
> Leg Deadringers (Autumn)
> Leg Winter Court necklace (Winter)

Kalibano

Info on spell schools added to the Aims section.

Hopefully this makes it easier to see which are the primary focus of the build.

Enjoy! :)

Kalibano

Working through the recent ED changes to update all my builds.
I don't expect substantial changes to this build: if anything, it feels like it got a nice boost :)

When I get the chance to look more closely at this build, and if changes are made, I'll update the main post + images

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

Yea, free HP from SD cores is good. Weird changes, other hand, not so good (sigh), but you don't use it anyway with this build. 8)

Kalibano

U66 changes (updated in the main post and DDOBuilder file)
Some changes were made to the main Epic Destiny used by this build: Magus of the Eclipse.

> The key active changes I made were:
  • Magus of the Eclipse
    • I've done some re-shuffling and additions, since the costs and positions of some of the enhancements were adjusted

• Primal Avatar:
    • as of U66, the Primal Avatar T2 spell 'Shard Storm' no longer has the T1 Epic Strike as a pre-requisite
    • as this build only uses the Magus of the Eclipse epic strike, I swapped the PA T1 epic strike for T1 Spider of the Deeps
Pre-U66:
Wiz-Pale-Master-Epic-Destinies-pre-U66.jpg

... with the changes indicated above:
Wiz-Pale-Master-Epic-Destinies.jpg

> The key passive changes were mostly positive:
  • Magus of the Eclipse
    • Action Point costs of several abilities have been adjusted to try to get this tree closer to the goal of 60-ish AP for all abilities like other Destiny Trees. It's still below other trees, but now the margin is less severe
    • All Core abilities now grant +1 Spell Penetration each
    • Core 4 now grants +3 Spell Penetration (which is still total of 7 across all 4 cores + 3 from core 4, but is now spread out a bit and easier to access.)
    • Gloom Spear now deals 1d8+8 damage per caster level
    • Chill Aura is now a multiselector with: "Flash of the Eclipse: While in your Magus of the Eclipse Destiny Mantle, your Cold and Negative spells have a chance to blast your target for an additional 1d6+6 damage per character level of the same type as the spell used, as well as applying one stack of Shattermantle. Each element can only strike once every 5 seconds, tracked separately."
    • Lunar Imbuement is now: "Gloom Spear grants you +5 Negative, Cold, Force, and Universal Spell Power for 12 seconds, and these spells apply 5 stacks of Vulnerability to the enemy struck."
    • New Tier 4 where Null Magic Strike was: "Lunar Studies: While in your Magus of the Eclipse Destiny Mantle, you gain Spell Resistance, Magic Resistance Rating, and Magic Resistance Rating Cap equal to 3 times the number of Metamagic feats you've acquired."
    • Lunar Power is now: "+10 Negative, Cold, Force, and Universal spell power. Your Moon Lance and Gloom Spear spells now deal 1d12+16 damage to enemies with 0 or less Spell Resistance."
    • Improved Arcane Pulse is now named Unholy Pulse and grants +15 negative amplification in addition to its existing effects.

• Shadowdancer
    • Core abilities now grant +15 HP and +25 SP.

With the changes indicated above, the build remains good to go as is :) Enjoy!

Last edited: