Reaper Endgame Wood Elf Frenzied Berserker

Tronko

I've returned to my great true love... the THF Barbarian! ...and I need to make a necessary disclaimer: at this moment (actually, for quite some time unfortunately), among all the styles, THF is the loser. Much more uncool. The reasons are many, but the main one is the attack speed (which also affects cleave-like attacks).

So, we're talking about a melee build for fun, and not about the meta.

That being said, the Barbarian, or rather the Frenzied Berserker (which is the only 'good' tree of the class) is an extremely solid melee, practically unkillable, and very good for clearing quests.

Currently, I'm playing a Wood Elf Barbarian 18, Favored Soul 1, Warlock 1.

Here's a brief overview.

Melee power is 396 standing, can reach 500+ with temporary buffs (+20 Arcane Warrior +50 Prowess boost +15 Vistani Fortune Swords +10 Bloodrage +10/12/15 Potion), double strike is capped at 100%.
Base damage is naturally good considering full THF line and a very high Strength score.
Adrenaline on Boulder's Might every 6 seconds is awesome, and you also have some additional crowd control (Trip with strikethrough every 15 seconds, The Great Leveler every 30 seconds).
There is movement speed and mobility (Spring Attack), and THF (Two Handed Fighting) gives you a large hitbox. Solid reflexes with Evasion and no fail on 1, good dodge, and Improved Uncanny Dodge, around 300 PRR, and over 6000 hit points considering Blood Feast. Adding Affirmation proc, it's 7000+ hit points. The temporary hit points are great and practically make you immortal. You have rages and Primal Scream for self-healing with Unquenchable Rage. When you enter rage, you also gain 1200 temporary hit points. Blood tribute adds another 450 temporary hit points when needed.

Let's get to the build. Here's a screenshot of my stats in Reaper (self-buffed).

Wood Elf Barbarian 18 Favored Soul 1 Warlock 1, FotW (38) SD (21) GMoF (14)

J3rwOh8.jpg

Strength can be higher (130+) using consumables buffs such as psionic/alchemical/rising fury etc.
Odd Constitution score, but considering Blood Tribute it's not a real issue.

Wood Elf is not a mandatory choice, Half-Orc is an excellent alternative. The main advantage of the Wood Elf is that it provides 8% doublestrike, which is gold for a barbarian. Accuracy is also nice. Half-Orc has a juicy 20% helpless bonus, which is fantastic, but it requires a feat to cap doublestrike, with the consequent sacrifice of Crush Weakness. Imo, Half-Orc is a better fit for pure barbs.

Doublestrike is a major inherent weakness of the barbarian: unlike paladin, fighter, animals, or even EK, barbarian does not have doublestrike in its class/trees. I always aim to cap doublestrike, especially in a melee build with a low attack rate that relies on Adrenalines. This build can get 100% double strike even if it you drop Doublestrike feat for Crush Weakness.
Certainly, there's Reaper's Strike. But the boost timing is very challenging to manage, and the risk of it being on cooldown at crucial moments is high, especially during fast-paced runs.

The warlock level gives aura for Arcane Warrior, FVS is for the trance.

Base Attack Bonus is obviously 23, which means you have to use Tenser's scrolls or, even better, clickies of Divine Power to cap the attack speed. Considering rage, Madstone boots, and the swapping timings, everything becomes overly cumbersome. Very often I settle for BAB +23 and I live with it, saving Divine Power clickies for key fights. The 5% speed bonus from VKF capstone certainly helps.

Other relevant numbers:
VqlHkRJ.jpg

+53% vs Helpless is nothing exceptional, but in any case, helpless mobs have a short lifespan.
Fort bypass is obviously a crucial factor for a build like this, Cracking Attack adds an additional 20%.

Enhancements
bdnxQzC.jpg

Nothing special or particularly original to report here.

Feats
Power Attack, THF, ITHF, GTHF, IC Slashing, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, OC, PTHF, Crush Weakness, Epic Reflexes, Harbinger of Chaos, Scion of Arborea, Arcane Warrior.

Epic Destinies
hUsCXnw.jpg

Nothing original here either. I put a point in The Great Leveler even though it has a long cooldown and an awful animation because it has its usefulness, especially when playing solo or there is no crowd control. With the changes expected in the next update, I will likely replace GmoF with LD to use LD mantle, reducing points in SD. DC mantle is also an option: as Wood Elf it benefits from maximizing BAB, but you struggle to cap doublestrike and lose a lot of helpless damage. I'm not a fan of DC for barb.

Gear Setup
HsyG9mM.jpg

The choice of Winter's Belt and Boots is highly debatable compared to other superior options that reward damage. However, in my case, it's not just a 'defensive' choice: I have melee power on those items, which I don't have on items of other different configurations.
The same reasoning applies to the Ring of Power; it's not the best in slot, but it's a decent item (Quality Strength, Insightful Armor Piercing) and I have 8 melee power on it. My personal recommendation is always to adapt your gear choices on what reaper and mythic melee power boosts you have available. Imagine having an excellent Gem of Many Facets, let's say with Windlasher's Ferocity and Raven's Sight. That gem potentially has 6 melee power less than a dino trinket, and the same applies to the goggles. Potentially, it's up to -12 melee power. In addition to that, the trinket helps complete the 5-piece set, and the Eternal Flameguard Lenses are excellent goggles (Quality Doublestrike, Quality Deadly).

In terms of item swaps, two must-haves are the Bloodbark Bracers (to wear when entering rage for +3 Raging Strength) and the Raptor Necklace for Bloodrage (when you wear it as a swap for the proc, you can use Reaper's Strike to fill the gap in doublestrike). Necklace of Gibberish Tongue with Intimidate 20 slotted is a good swap option for when you want to draw aggro.

Regarding weapons, Falchion is a mandatory choice because all other two-handed weapons are light-years away. I hope this will change in the future, perhaps with a dedicated feat (similar to Knight's training), but for now, this is how it is.

Main filigrees: Sucker Punch/One Against Many x2, Dreadbringer Melee Power x2, Treachery Melee Power x2, Long Shadow Melee Power x2, Shattered Device Melee Power, Shattered Device Attack and Damage, Shattered Device Armor Piercing, Dreadbringer Tactics DC, Dreadbringer Strength, Dreadbringer PRR.

The sentient weapon swaps I recommend are:
1) Bloodrage set (obviously) with Brighthorn
2) Prowess set for the melee power boost
3) Wisdom set for trance (one-handed weapon and orb).

Pros:
  • It's a lovely THF barbarian build! :love:
  • Damage output vs multiple targets is good. In addition to Strike through, you can spam Whirlwind Attack and Supreme Cleaves. Adrenaline + Boulder's Might is great.
  • Temporary hit points and Improved Uncanny Dodge. It's not a tank build, but you can intimidate and kill a Doom quickly enough to avoid any problem. Unquenchable Rage is great, when combined with Blood Feast it makes you almost unkillable.
  • Evasion. It's fun to play a barbarian that can evade.
  • Good mobility: base speed, Sprint boost, Spring Attack.

Cons:
  • Overall, in current endgame THF sucks. :cry:
  • The most evident drawback is obviously single-target DPS. With maximum attack speed and two haste boosts, you are about 60 swings behind SWF in a minute. It's not a problem in quests because enemies HP pools are limited, and Adrenaline hits hard. However, this is not an effective sustained DPS build for dealing with bosses in high-skull raids.
  • While having top-tier survivability, you can't heal your fellow party members. To be honest, with the changes to self-healing in reaper mode, you can live without it.
As usual, feel free to ask for more information.

Last edited:

Spook

Very nice. Like you said, nothing ground-breaking here, but executed beautifully.

Last edited:

Anduril

I've been grinding out past lives for a while now and have only recently started doing end game, so at the very least, I appreciate the stat numbers as a good benchmark.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Hey Tronko. Can you break down the Double Strike please?

As you say, it's a pig to get it high on a barb and I usually shoot for 70 then use reaper strike for big number situations.

On weapon, if you're using adrenaline for crit range anyway, isn't a greataxe better than falchion in that context?

Cheers for another strong target build. 👍

Hammatimes

Thanks for posting the stats from character sheet, helps to see the end results. Do you notice any issues with fortification that low? What changes are causing you to drop GMOF? Combat Brute?

Small correction, should be Dread Stalker Cloak, not Dino cloak. Possibly should also be Dino Bone Mail as well? Assuming you're using light armor and not outfit due to rage.

Tronko

Hey Tronko. Can you break down the Double Strike please?
As you say, it's a pig to get it high on a barb and I usually shoot for 70 then use reaper strike for big number situations.
Hey, sure. Here you are:

Doublestrike
9% Doublestrike PL x3
6% Scourge PL x3
5% Wood Elf Rugged Upbringing, while raging
3% Wood Elf Skill
5% VKF Quick Reflexes
5% VKF Celerity
15% Enhancement (Legendary Eternal Flameguard's Lenses)*
3% Quality (Legendary Eternal Flameguard's Lenses)*
7% Insightful (Legendary Pendant of the Warrior's Focus - please note it's 7%, not 6% as typed in the description)
3% Profane (Fragment of Extraplanar Shadow)
15% Artifact (Dread Stalker Set)
3% FotW (Wild Weapons)
6% FotW (Wade Through)
5% SD (Shadowstriker)
3% GMoF (Hail of Blows)
2% Harbinger of Chaos
3% Shattered Device 3 pieces
*You may say "but the total adds up to 98%!" The fact is that wearing the Legendary Eternal Flameguard's Lenses gives +20% and not +18% :sneaky:

On weapon, if you're using adrenaline for crit range anyway, isn't a greataxe better than falchion in that context?
Greataxe on FB has a threat range of 19-20. Wow 😅 . Of course, on a critical hit (rolling a 3+ if you have no issues vs AC), you gain +1 multiplier. However, with Adrenaline + Boulder's Might already being quite slow, adding a swap before and after isn't ideal, in my opinion.

Thanks for posting the stats from character sheet, helps to see the end results. Do you notice any issues with fortification that low? What changes are causing you to drop GMOF? Combat Brute?
Hey! Regarding fortification, not much. A 40-50% increase doesn't make a big difference, and even much higher values can be bypassed. Usually, I worry about reaching very high values only when playing as a tank.
Regarding LD, Combat Brute is one of the reasons, obviously. Also, the two extra points we'll get with the next 3 EPL allow for different configurations. If you ignore the awful epic strike, LD is a great tree with many strong features. On a SWF FB, I would prolly use it even for the T5.

Small correction, should be Dread Stalker Cloak, not Dino cloak. Possibly should also be Dino Bone Mail as well? Assuming you're using light armor and not outfit due to rage.
True! I apologize for the mistake... I hadn't checked the item's names. Now I've corrected the gear sheet, thank you very much (y)

How high does your wisdom get with the trance swap?
Hey! Wisdom +14 and Insightful +5 are included in the base gear, so the gain is +17:
3 Quality
1 Exceptional
2 Festive
11 Filigrees

You can also swap artifact. In that case, you additionally gain:
3 Artifact (Visions of the Beyond Set)
5 filigrees
for a +25 total.

Spook

*You may say "but the total adds up to 98%!" The fact is that wearing the Legendary Eternal Flameguard's Lenses gives +20% and not +18% :sneaky:
This is because values on gear are decimal but display as whole numbers rounded down

Going by displayed values
15+6+3 = 24
Going off internal values (this is an example as calculating actual values for this illustration is too much work)
15.9+6.9+3.9 = 26.7

Jack Jarvis Esquire

"However, with Adrenaline + Boulder's Might already being quite slow, adding a swap before and after isn't ideal, in my opinion."

Thanks for the DS breakdown, that's really helpful as ever! 👍

Regarding the quotation above, what swap are you referring to there (sorry if I'm missing something obvious! 😂)? 🤔

Eleazzar

I've returned to my great true love... the THF Barbarian! ...and I need to make a necessary disclaimer: at this moment (actually, for quite some time unfortunately), among all the styles, THF is the loser. Much more uncool. The reasons are many, but the main one is the attack speed (which also affects cleave-like attacks).

So, we're talking about a melee build for fun, and not about the meta.

That being said, the Barbarian, or rather the Frenzied Berserker (which is the only 'good' tree of the class) is an extremely solid melee, practically unkillable, and very good for clearing quests.

Currently, I'm playing a Wood Elf Barbarian 18, Favored Soul 1, Warlock 1.

Here's a brief overview.

Melee power is 396 standing, can reach 500+ with temporary buffs (+20 Arcane Warrior +50 Prowess boost +15 Vistani Fortune Swords +10 Bloodrage +10/12/15 Potion), double strike is capped at 100%.
Base damage is naturally good considering full THF line and a very high Strength score.
Adrenaline on Boulder's Might every 6 seconds is awesome, and you also have some additional crowd control (Trip with strikethrough every 15 seconds, The Great Leveler every 30 seconds).
There is movement speed and mobility (Spring Attack), and THF (Two Handed Fighting) gives you a large hitbox. Solid reflexes with Evasion and no fail on 1, good dodge, and Improved Uncanny Dodge, around 300 PRR, and over 6000 hit points considering Blood Feast. Adding Affirmation proc, it's 7000+ hit points. The temporary hit points are great and practically make you immortal. You have rages and Primal Scream for self-healing with Unquenchable Rage. When you enter rage, you also gain 1200 temporary hit points. Blood tribute adds another 450 temporary hit points when needed.

Let's get to the build. Here's a screenshot of my stats in Reaper (self-buffed).

Wood Elf Barbarian 18 Favored Soul 1 Warlock 1, FotW (38) SD (21) GMoF (14)

J3rwOh8.jpg

Strength can be higher (130+) using consumables buffs such as psionic/alchemical/rising fury etc.
Odd Constitution score, but considering Blood Tribute it's not a real issue.

Wood Elf is not a mandatory choice, Half-Orc is an excellent alternative. The main advantage of the Wood Elf is that it provides 8% doublestrike, which is gold for a barbarian. Accuracy is also nice. Half-Orc has a juicy 20% helpless bonus, which is fantastic, but it requires a feat to cap doublestrike, with the consequent sacrifice of Crush Weakness. Imo, Half-Orc is a better fit for pure barbs.

Doublestrike is a major inherent weakness of the barbarian: unlike paladin, fighter, animals, or even EK, barbarian does not have doublestrike in its class/trees. I always aim to cap doublestrike, especially in a melee build with a low attack rate that relies on Adrenalines. This build can get 100% double strike even if it you drop Doublestrike feat for Crush Weakness.
Certainly, there's Reaper's Strike. But the boost timing is very challenging to manage, and the risk of it being on cooldown at crucial moments is high, especially during fast-paced runs.

The warlock level gives aura for Arcane Warrior, FVS is for the trance.

Base Attack Bonus is obviously 23, which means you have to use Tenser's scrolls or, even better, clickies of Divine Power to cap the attack speed. Considering rage, Madstone boots, and the swapping timings, everything becomes overly cumbersome. Very often I settle for BAB +23 and I live with it, saving Divine Power clickies for key fights. The 5% speed bonus from VKF capstone certainly helps.

Other relevant numbers:
VqlHkRJ.jpg

+53% vs Helpless is nothing exceptional, but in any case, helpless mobs have a short lifespan.
Fort bypass is obviously a crucial factor for a build like this, Cracking Attack adds an additional 20%.

Enhancements
bdnxQzC.jpg

Nothing special or particularly original to report here.

Feats
Power Attack, THF, ITHF, GTHF, IC Slashing, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, OC, PTHF, Crush Weakness, Epic Reflexes, Harbinger of Chaos, Scion of Arborea, Arcane Warrior.

Epic Destinies
hUsCXnw.jpg

Nothing original here either. I put a point in The Great Leveler even though it has a long cooldown and an awful animation because it has its usefulness, especially when playing solo or there is no crowd control. With the changes expected in the next update, I will likely replace GmoF with LD to use LD mantle, reducing points in SD. DC mantle is also an option: as Wood Elf it benefits from maximizing BAB, but you struggle to cap doublestrike and lose a lot of helpless damage. I'm not a fan of DC for barb.

Gear Setup
HsyG9mM.jpg

The choice of Winter's Belt and Boots is highly debatable compared to other superior options that reward damage. However, in my case, it's not just a 'defensive' choice: I have melee power on those items, which I don't have on items of other different configurations.
The same reasoning applies to the Ring of Power; it's not the best in slot, but it's a decent item (Quality Strength, Insightful Armor Piercing) and I have 8 melee power on it. My personal recommendation is always to adapt your gear choices on what reaper and mythic melee power boosts you have available. Imagine having an excellent Gem of Many Facets, let's say with Windlasher's Ferocity and Raven's Sight. That gem potentially has 6 melee power less than a dino trinket, and the same applies to the goggles. Potentially, it's up to -12 melee power. In addition to that, the trinket helps complete the 5-piece set, and the Eternal Flameguard Lenses are excellent goggles (Quality Doublestrike, Quality Deadly).

In terms of item swaps, two must-haves are the Bloodbark Bracers (to wear when entering rage for +3 Raging Strength) and the Raptor Necklace for Bloodrage (when you wear it as a swap for the proc, you can use Reaper's Strike to fill the gap in doublestrike). Necklace of Gibberish Tongue with Intimidate 20 slotted is a good swap option for when you want to draw aggro.

Regarding weapons, Falchion is a mandatory choice because all other two-handed weapons are light-years away. I hope this will change in the future, perhaps with a dedicated feat (similar to Knight's training), but for now, this is how it is.

Main filigrees: Sucker Punch/One Against Many x2, Dreadbringer Melee Power x2, Treachery Melee Power x2, Long Shadow Melee Power x2, Shattered Device Melee Power, Shattered Device Attack and Damage, Shattered Device Armor Piercing, Dreadbringer Tactics DC, Dreadbringer Strength, Dreadbringer PRR.

The sentient weapon swaps I recommend are:
1) Bloodrage set (obviously) with Brightclaw
2) Prowess set for the melee power boost
3) Wisdom set for trance (one-handed weapon and orb).

Pros:
  • It's a lovely THF barbarian build! :love:
  • Damage output vs multiple targets is good. In addition to Strike through, you can spam Whirlwind Attack and Supreme Cleaves. Adrenaline + Boulder's Might is great.
  • Temporary hit points and Improved Uncanny Dodge. It's not a tank build, but you can intimidate and kill a Doom quickly enough to avoid any problem. Unquenchable Rage is great, when combined with Blood Feast it makes you almost unkillable.
  • Evasion. It's fun to play a barbarian that can evade.
  • Good mobility: base speed, Sprint boost, Spring Attack.

Cons:
  • Overall, in current endgame THF sucks. :cry:
  • The most evident drawback is obviously single-target DPS. With maximum attack speed and two haste boosts, you are about 60 swings behind SWF in a minute. It's not a problem in quests because enemies HP pools are limited, and Adrenaline hits hard. However, this is not an effective sustained DPS build for dealing with bosses in high-skull raids.
  • While having top-tier survivability, you can't heal your fellow party members. To be honest, with the changes to self-healing in reaper mode, you can live without it.
As usual, feel free to ask for more information.
at what level did you take Warlock and FVS or does that not matter?

Tronko

at what level did you take Warlock and FVS or does that not matter?
Hey! You can take Warlock last since it's absolutely useless until level 28. FVS is necessary for the trance, so it can be helpful even in heroic content, and you can take it earlier whenever you prefer.

Fleming

First off, thanks very much for posting this build. I always learn a lot from these end game builds, you and others post.

I did want to ask about one thing from your first paragraph. "at this moment (actually, for quite some time unfortunately), among all the styles, THF is the loser. Much more uncool.". It always seems to me TWF is by far the worst, except maybe in the hands of someone with Dance of Death, and even then it feels deathly slow to me.

SWF is great attack speed, but without some sort of AE (chains or cleave?) it's very slow clearing through a dungeon one monster at a time.

Or are you just talking about single target boss damage?

(Trying to learn here by the way, not pick a fight I won't win )

Tronko

I did want to ask about one thing from your first paragraph. "at this moment (actually, for quite some time unfortunately), among all the styles, THF is the loser. Much more uncool.". It always seems to me TWF is by far the worst, except maybe in the hands of someone with Dance of Death, and even then it feels deathly slow to me.

SWF is great attack speed, but without some sort of AE (chains or cleave?) it's very slow clearing through a dungeon one monster at a time.

Or are you just talking about single target boss damage?
Hey! I'm trying to answer your interesting questions based on my personal experience and what I see in-game.

In a nutshell, yes, you are right when it comes to DPS it almost always refers to single target boss damage.
These are encounters that don't get resolved in a few seconds, where DPS plays a crucial role (which also affects the tank's survivability, for example).
Currently, TWF has no rivals (and technically, it's the correct choice since, beyond the mentioned Dance of Death, TWF has the worst AoE damage) while SWF falls behind.
TWF benefits from handwraps, which have been outstanding for a long time, thanks to a combination of choices that, in my opinion, are debatable (but this is going off-topic, and besides, almost no one uses them except on the monk, so it's not a widespread problem).
The critical profile is also relevant: TWF has options with a good/excellent critical profile, such as daggers for the Assassin, longswords, and so on.
Longswords & co. can also be used by SWF. As you mentioned, for quests, SWF needs cleaves (by cleave, I mean AoE attacks, like Whirlwind, etc.). You can also SWF with a hand-and-half weapon in order to get strikethrough (and swap to longsword for reds).
THF weapons, apart from the falchion with +2 multiplier, have mediocre critical profiles.
But the most important factor is attack speed.

Fleming

No stress if you don't have the time. Are you able to breakdown the Melee Power by any chance? A bunch of it will be mythic/reaper items I know, but it would be really handy to know.

Last edited:

Spook

Napkin maths suggests a theoretical melee power of 377 before boosted items*

*included reaper rings as they can be crafted although given the grind of reaper crafting its usually easier to pull them (if you have help) also assumes all filigree are rare which I am not sure is possible (eg I dont have shattered device rares)

Epic Levels60
Legendary Levels12
Tome4
Reaper24
Filigree80
THF feats22
Enhancement10
Profane15
Artifact15
Destiny Cores55
Vistani20
FB20
Barb (greater rage)10
Scion20
Reaper Rings10

Last edited:

Lacci

Builds like this always convince me that I´m playing a totally different game. I can´t even begin to understand how it´s possible to get such stats...
Divide everything by two and that´s how my lvl 32 barbarian looks like ...