U60 Lammania Preview 1 - XP System Adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zokathra

Would it help if there was a way to track every monster you've encountered, and base the XP reward on killing those, so you don't then have to go running around unrelated areas of your quest to make up the XP loss, by hunting down monsters you'd never normally interact with, causing the servers to calculate those battles?

axel15810

We've had a lot of great feedback in this thread, but one thing that we haven't seen a lot of feedback on is suggestions to get players back to the XP/minute and general questing speed that was taking place prior to Update 59. We have seen a very significant increase in general speed of play since our recent lag reduction work, and as players have noticed, it's causing issues regarding game performance. Some of the goal here is to get players back to the pace they were prior to those recent changes. So, just to ask: How would you reduce player speed as it were to pre-Update 59 levels?
You all are proposing changes to DA to make it more punishing. Will DA changes alone not get player speed down to acceptable levels? The main suggestion I had in my post in this thread was focus solely on DA, making it more punishing while ironing out the insta DA scenarios in the game. How about you all make DA changes in U60, see the effects that has on player speed, then go from there? Are you all sure DA changes alone can't solve the issue? Are the devs sure that touching XP bonuses is actually necessary?

Krelar

1> Our lag problems are less about fighting monsters, then running from monsters and leaving them far behind. The bottle neck is in the path system doing long paths as the player gets far away. Ergo, not wanting to be bothered with the monsters at all feeds into that.

Do your metrics allow you to determine how much of the zerging is being done by overlevel characters that are either favor farming or looking for low level loot before TRing?

XP and dungeon alert changes aren't going to have significant impact on these activities. Is there a way to have mobs just say "nope" and give up the chase (pathing) much sooner when they realize a player massively outclasses them (maybe the same as when you stop getting xp for being overlevel?)

nobodynobody1426

On all worlds. It is both a significant increase in completion speed in addition to a larger pool of players achieving these speeds. It is essentially why, after the recent lag work, the community has been seeing increased lag, as the speed has pushed to the point that things have become somewhat untenable. That was one of the main reasons why the suggestion to move first-time XP to the Conquest system was tried; it allows players to earn more XP in general since they can get that bonus XP every time they run the quest rather than just the first time, but also discourages some amount of the hyperzerging that had been taking place. We recognized that it would impact people's XP/minute calculations, but the hope was to find a solution that both encouraged exploration and offered generally more XP with an acceptable level of slowdown of player speed. For players who wished to continue at their current pace they still could, although they might need to run a few additional quests per level, but others might be encouraged to take advantage of these new bonuses.

So this is kind of reverse thinking. Before there would be frequent lag spikes that would halt all progress, that has been cured. Now players are not being artificially halted by the servers casting Time Stop. If the only concern from the development side is to increase quest completion time, then just reintroduce the lag or have the quests randomly Time Stop all the players inside. This will very much piss off players, but if the goal is to make them take longer to complete quests while getting less XP, then pissing off the players is the goal.

Now if the goal isn't to piss off the player base, and we hope it's not, then stop looking at "how fast can players complete a quest now vs when we hit them with artificial crippling lag". Any action following that line of thinking is almost guaranteed to piss off your player base, we don't want to spend any additional time in a place that we've beaten 101+ times already. That is not an exaggeration, even the best quests become boring and monotonous whenever you've played through them every life for over 100 past lives. In this very update you are about to introduce three more past lives that people will have to do. That is three more trips from 20 to 30, each one doing the same sets of epic quests or slayer zones that we did for the previous 48 epic past lives.

The problem, if there is one, is that the PL system requires such insane grind with heroic being the worst due to the double XP requirements to go from 1 to 20. It creates a huge amount of replay ability, but there is only so much of that before it gets boring. Nerfing XP/min just makes the problem worse, not better. Now if you want to solve this core issue, then reducing the XP requirement for 1~20 or vastly increasing the XP from quests would be a good start. Kind of the exact opposite of the proposed solution.

Zokathra

If I'm not purposefully running slayer, I usually hit the first tier or two on purpose in explorer areas, the rest of the time I run by everything to get to where I'm going.
I do this as well.

I'm quite happy to slay up to the 400 kills milestone, but then as it's far too grindy to hit another XP award, I just give up and ignore monsters from then on. If I even get to 750 kills it's just circumstantial rather than deliberate.

Getting the equivalent XP award every, say, 100 kills would encourage me to actually take time to reach 1,500 of them for example. And... wow, slayer quests can go up to 7,500 kills?

Docjekyll

I don't normally chime in on the forums, but I wanted to respond to these proposed changes in particular.

These proposed changes are problematic for many reasons:
  • they do not address the stated problem
  • they will disproportionately "nerf" XP in many older quests (esp. those less-linear quests with many monsters in low-XP optional areas)
  • they will disincentivize diverse questing paths

An experiment to illustrate the problem

I just TR'd last night and so I thought I would run a little experiment. I ran all the level 2 quests in the harbor and marketplace (which is something I do nearly every life), and I was super strict on killing every single aggroed monster.

I did not "kite" any enemies through the quests (except as required by quest objectives in "Stealthy Repossession"). This means that at any time, my burden on the pathing server was less than a single group of enemies, often only 1 or 2 monsters. This should represent the best-case scenario in terms of player behavior for addressing the concerns of performance re: monster pathing.

Let's look at the resulting monster kill bonus from each quest:
  • Arachnophobia - conquest (impossible to complete w/o conquest)
  • Information is Key - onslaught (w/ 100% clear)
  • The Miller's Debt - no bonus
  • Haverdasher - onslaught (w/ 100% clear, including 1 reaper)
  • Durk's Got a Secret - no bonus
  • Garrison's Missing Pack - no bonus (including 3 reapers)
  • Walk the Butcher's Path - onslaught (including 2 reapers)
  • Recovering the Lost Tome - no bonus
  • Stealthy Repossession - no bonus (including 2 reapers and 1 accidental "Kobold Prophet" kill)
  • The Kobolds' New Ringleader - aggression bonus (including 1 reaper)
  • The Smuggler's Warehouse - no bonus
  • Bringing the Light - no bonus
  • Protect Baudry's Interests - onslaught bonus (kill required 10 kobolds, invis in corner)
  • Stop Hazadill's Shipment - insidious cunning bonus (b/c no kills by design)
  • Retrieve the Stolen Goods - no bonus (including 1 reaper)
  • The Sunken Sewer - no bonus
  • Missing In Action - aggression bonus (including 1 reaper)

Under the proposed changes, I would have received lower XP for each of these 17 quests except for "Arachnophobia" (with a base value of 173 XP). The only one you could argue is a stretch in terms of player behavior is me using Invisibility in "Protect Baudry's Interests" instead of killing kobolds for 5 minutes straight, but that's how I normally complete the quest and it involves aggroing fewer monsters than the murderhobo approach.

So based on your stated objectives, this should be ideal player behavior, right? Zero superfluous aggro. No running past monsters. And yet, despite doing exactly what you are hoping to incentivize, this behavior would result in reduced XP gain compared to if no changes were made.

How are players actually going to get Conquest Bonus?

If conquest bonus becomes more critical to increasing XP efficiency, what player behavior does that actually incentivize? For me, this would mostly mean trailing multiple groups of monsters at a time, grouping them up, and efficiently dispatching them all at once. This would ensure that I could still complete quests without needing to spend time shrining to recover SP while still getting the full bonus (where feasible).

That would result in a dramatic increased burden on monster pathing from my newly incentivized playstyle. I would need to go out of my way to aggro and kite more groups of monsters and rather than killing whatever I encounter as I go, and the resulting increased pressure on SP and other limited resources would mean that I need to wait for more monsters to follow and group together before killing them.

Worse Gameplay Experience from Proposed Changes

Even if we mistakenly assume that the proposed changes would actually reduce the burden on monster pathing logic, the proposed changes would still have a negative impact on the gameplay experience.

I remember what TRing was like way back when Shroud was end-game content. It mostly involved finding the few quests at each level with the highest XP/min and repeating them into the ground for maximum XP efficiency (e.g. old LFMs with "NNNNHE"). This was largely not fun moment-to-moment gameplay, but it was that or have your TR leveling take twice as long.

I enjoy the fact that the first-time bonus as-is makes me feel like I can generally just run whichever quests I feel like without worrying too much about which quest provides the most efficient XP farm. There are still outliers to be sure (e.g. "The Shadow Crypt" on the high end, "Gladewatch Outpost Defense" on the low end), but for the most part players don't feel like they're playing DDO 'wrong' by running whichever quest comes to mind, or opening the Adventure Compendium and picking a quest they haven't run in a while. Leveling is more fun with first-time quest bonus as it is now.

Without a detailed quest-by-quest pass to address discrepancies in XP efficiency, the proposed changes would likely incentivize the return of quest "farming" behaviors, which results in a less diverse, less enjoyable gameplay experience.

A note about Red Dungeon Alert

(Mentioning this here since it's related, but keeping it short since there is another thread on this topic.)

Dungeon Alert is an existing mechanic which actually addresses the purported purpose of these proposed XP changes. Dungeon Alert is a good mechanic in general and could indeed stand to have more 'teeth', but before more severe penalties are added, SSG absolutely needs to address existing quests which basically Red Dungeon Alert themselves by design, when the player behaves as the quest designers intended. I'm sure other players have already pointed out plenty of relevant examples of what I mean here.

TL;DR It actually makes sense to consider changes to Dungeon Alert, but the XP system changes are at best very tenuously connected to the problem. Please reconsider these changes.

Responses to Follow-Up Comments​

What if we adjust the aggression bonus to be X% instead?
In my opinion, even if you could guarantee that the changes resulted in the same rate of XP gain (or better) for all players, I still think these changes proposed here would be bad. They would increase the relative XP efficiency of quests that are generally already high-efficiency and they would reduce the incentives to run less-familiar, less linear quest content.

I don't think we need more reasons for players to always run the same quests. DDO is better when players have more even incentives to enjoy a wider variety of quest content.

But this would be better for Reaper XP gain.
Yes, the proposed changes would probably be better for players who stay at cap and repeatedly run quest chains on reaper difficulty. The overwhelming influence of first-time bonuses on rate of RXP gain is a legitimate problem, but I think there are likely better ways to address that problem than the proposed changes.

nobodynobody1426

Just saw an absolute perfect description of the Dev - Player disconnect that results in these crazy bad ideas.

Players: "Grow stronger via XP, XP at end, we go to end. We replay from level one, must do same quests, XP still at end, we go to end."

Devs: "Hey guys check out this spider we put in at the end of this random hallway, ain't this sick? Jim from Executive had the idea and my wife loved it as well, so we-"

Players: "XP! End! Now!"

Core issue is a fundamental misunderstanding of why players act the way they act, all summed up in the line "Grow stronger via XP, XP at end, we go to end"

Yndrofian

...SSG absolutely needs to address existing quests which basically Red Dungeon Alert themselves by design,
@Torc @Cordovan THIS is important ⬆️

It's been said a few times I this thread already, but I feel the need to bring it out.

Unless you know for a fact that these quests players are talking about in this thread are contributing only a miniscule percentage to the lag issue, then the absolute FIRST thing y'all need to do is fix what you know is already wrong. Then reassess.

Please don't create new systems and hang game-changing mechanics over our heads until, FIRST, you've done your due diligence.

If anything, pull some metrics from these quests, fix them, then sample again. This should give you a good idea of what the rest of the game will do in like. THEN, if things look good, we can talk about how to deal with the carrot/stick for the DA/lag/pathing issues.

Triaxx2

We've had a lot of great feedback in this thread, but one thing that we haven't seen a lot of feedback on is suggestions to get players back to the XP/minute and general questing speed that was taking place prior to Update 59. We have seen a very significant increase in general speed of play since our recent lag reduction work, and as players have noticed, it's causing issues regarding game performance. Some of the goal here is to get players back to the pace they were prior to those recent changes. So, just to ask: How would you reduce player speed as it were to pre-Update 59 levels?
I think that perhaps you guys might be heavily underestimating the amount of time we were hung up on lag spikes. And they aren't all 'game is frozen' spikes either. A lot of times the lag is client desyncing from the server.

I'll keep using this as an example, but on Hardcore S5, I joined an LFM for Necro 4 quests, entered the zone and started running to the quest. I had to change course, and I was not seeing any enemies. (This was heroic so it was only a few.) Well, turns out there were many hitting me. I ran all the way to the Inferno quest entrance from near the Temple of Vol, healing and being hurt. And then I got to the 'safety' of the quest entrance and spent the next 5+ minutes trying to teleport, recall and heal, with NOTHING happening but numbers rolling on the screen. I didn't have any idea if I was going to survive. I assumed every little hitch was going to be the game teleporting me to the Land of Lost Souls. I survived that, and it was an outlier of a lag spike. But it was TERRIFYING.

Most of the time, even now, the lag's not that bad. There are occasional hitches, and once in a while a big spike. But U59 cleared up a ton of the little micro stutters, which while individually are hardly noticable, add up to make quests take more time. Spells that fail to go off, ranged attacks that dry fire, melee swings that don't connect because the enemy isn't where the game is telling you it is. All that adds up to make quests take longer. It's extremely frustrating on our end as well.

You ask how to get players to slow down? The simplest answer, is to make optionals worth doing. An easy one is to have a completion bonus, where as you do optionals you gain an increasing bonus to your quest XP. I think Isle of Dread nailed this one because I will always go out of my way to do optionals that drop crafting ingredients. Stop and punch a mob on my way to get some more dino bones? 100% doing that.

I will say that Ransack contributes a bit to this issue, because when I'm looking for an item to complete a build or make me more survivable, I'm not stopping for optionals, even if flower sniffing is my preferred playstyle. I'm here to blitz the quest as fast as possible to reach the chest and see if the item drops. I think this could be a solid way to solve the rush issue with two options. Option A) Completing optionals should increase the chance of a named item drop in an end chest. Option B) Completing all the optionals in a dungeon causes the chest to roll a second chance to drop a named item. It should be able to fail both rolls still, but it straight doubles the chance of loot.

Seriously though, some quests have loot drop tables that are so catastrophically low that it's comical. I'm not even counting Jibbers, but am thinking specifically of things like Black and Blue and Newcomers, which have amazing loot, that you almost never see because you have a tiny drop rate, and an even tinier chance of getting the thing you actually want to drop. Seriously, go run them say 20 times, even using admin powers if you like and tell me how many items drop in the chest. (And I know that's a bad example because those quests have no optionals at all, but it should put the point across.)

KylerrTheMajty

The worst thing is that this thread is not about reducting lag but reducting zerging at this point, many ppl here give you guys good ideas but you still mostly talking about zerging and how fast ppl end quest, so what is the problem?

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
Maybe instead of the insane crazy buffs for mobs during DA, it would be less onerous to debuff the player characters in instances where they trigger it ? Lower movement and attack speeds, increased cooldowns after spell casting, penalties to mêlée, ranged, spell power and so on ?

Wouldn't change much in favour-farming by very over-level characters, but it would penalise the deliberate or careless gathering of huge groups of mobs at level in a less artificial manner -- just "explain" it by saying there's so many mobs in the encounter that it takes the DM much longer to do all his dice rolls, as a tabletop reference to what actually happens in D&D in these sorts of circumstances ... individual combat rounds can get painfully slow to play through. Maybe change the name from "Dungeon Alert" to "DM Overtaxed" or something ?

Theo

The only other thing that might cause a slightly faster completion time is the removal of reaper healing penalty, which is likely the "larger pool of players" component, since melees typically had issues with this.

I think this hits the speed up in completions times on the head .....

I assume reaper is run about 75% of the time on dungeons.
I know for me as I play melee I save about 2/3 the time between fights healing, Instead of 3-6 casts/pots I use 1 or 2
That is 12-24 seconds saved every fight or two ...

That adds up a lot ... figure most dungeons require healing at least 10 different times now we have just saved 2-4 minutes.

I think this is where you are seeing the time difference. esp when people like me who just do not really use hirelings and either chug pots or cast spells.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
Heroic VON 3 conquest is also unattainable.
It is in Reaper -- and some mobs do respawn in the corridors between the start and end zones, so technically it is even in leet, though it's usually only when someone enters late that any respawns will die.

KylerrTheMajty

This game is old got 17 years I play it 14 , zerg it 13 years and now you tell me it make lag I just don't believe it.

We heard so many lag reasons and this point from a cross the years and all you do was nerfing something and yet lag is still there.

Make your nerf again fine but what will be next bc i can bet after this lag will still be there...

EvilDragon

I am worried of some quests that don't have much mobs to find.

I believe this is a good change, but SSG should make players can fairly easily meet the highest bonus upon an ordinary progression.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
What is actually causing the increased load on the servers?
People zerging through mobs without killing them, grabbing aggro multiple times which causes AI pathing to go into massive overload thereby taxing the I/O bandwidth capabilities of SSGs hardware, which then penalises the reactivity of the DDO servers to the activities of every player logged in to the server where it is occurring.

If you zerg through quests or landscapes grabbing aggro but without killing, then you are causing lag for other players.

-------------

Come to think of it, landscape instances remain open for 5 minutes after the last player leaves them, and quests in the event of exit before possible re-entry -- should this be reduced to 4 minutes in green DA, 3 minutes yellow, 1 minute orange, and instantly if red ? That should free up some resources ...

Cassiterite

In my opinion, reducing the speed at which players complete quests will only really be effective if the community believes behaviors that lead to slower quest completions are worth doing, AKA optionals and killing everything. I can't claim its a perfect solution, but I'd adjust the game in a few ways.

#1: Conquest & Dungeon Alert
The easiest way to get people to kill more monsters is reward them for it, and I believe you're attempting to do that here. Instead of taking the 45% XP bonus directly from the first time bonus, I'd suggest still removing that XP bonus as discussed and adjusting the tiers of conquest to be Aggression: +15% / Onslaught +30% / Conquest +60% on all difficulties. In addition, I'd adjust the "don't kill monsters XP bonus" to be "don't trigger dungeon alert". When you first start a quest, you'd automatically gain Insidious Cunning, but if you trigger green alert, it would be reduced to Devious, yellow alert would reduce the bonus to discreet, and orange or higher alerts would negate the bonus entirely. I'd also adjust the XP bonus for these three to be Insidious Cunning +30% / Devious +15% / Discreet +5%.

The above changes would result in a net neutral XP change if the party maintained no dungeon alert and achieved onslaught, which I find is feasible without too much fuss in most quests (and those that it's not would need to be adjusted). However, it gives an incentive to at least attempt to score the conquest bonus for a net +30% XP bonus (though the actual XP per minute increase would be smaller except on quests where conquest is achieved effortlessly already).

#2 Optionals
Frankly, I like doing optionals. I wish it wasn't a huge waste of time, because I think they're fun. Something as simple as the delving bonus applying to optional XP (and also completing an optional negating that bonus if the quest isn't finished and is instead reset) would help encourage more players to try optionals. A large overhaul to optional XP probably isn't feasible, but increasing the general optional XP from 'abysmal' to just 'meh' might help.

#3 XP Pots
It seems a lot of people justify zerging through quests because of XP pot timers. Instead of XP pots having timers at all, perhaps adjust them to be based on levels gained, instead of time? IE: A +50% 6-hour XP pot would instead provide +50% XP until you gain 8 levels, or something. I don't have an elegant solution for it at the moment, but anything to make it progression-based instead of time-based would be helpful.

mikarddo

Oh dear. Is that how you view the effect in SSG form the changes you made in U59? I so, you certainly see them in a much better light that what I have experienced.

Yes, the videos from Lam showed huge improvements, and yes, the first 2 days after U59 went life did the same. But after the small patch Friday we were more or less back to where we were before. Atleast in terms of running R1 quests for xp. If there is even an improvement in xp/min from U59 for leveling it is pretty small, maybe 1-2%, in my experience. Certainly not in the order of the 15%-ish that is being suggested here.

If you are under the impression that U59 gave a significant boost to xp/min it does not to how I play the game. Please dont base decisions on an over optimistic view on the value of the U59 patch wrt. xp/min. Thanks.

Last edited:

SquireZed

Dusting off the old "Rambling mathematical wall of text" on the new username.
The difference in experience is significant. Let's look at the following situations (looking only at the first time complete and conquest bonuses to avoid complication, since those are the only bonuses being changed):
First time completing a quest on elite, no kill bonus.
First time completing a quest on elite, onslaught bonus.
First time completing a quest on elite, conquest bonus.
Gonna ignore repetition rewards, because to be honest most of the time when you're repeating quests you don't care about experience, you care about loot. Hypothetically, it *is* better to have this change if you grind the same quest, but that doesn't conform with what I have experienced with regards to experience farming, nor basically anything that I've heard from other users except ones who are basically just calling other people losers for not killing everything which is a pretty toxic take to be honest.
Elite, no bonus (current)Elite, onslaught bonus (current)Elite, conquest bonus (current)
100%+45%+0%=145%100%+45%+15%=160%100%+45%+25%=170%
Elite, no bonus (proposed)Elite, onslaught bonus (proposed)Elite, conquest bonus (proposed)
100+0%= 100%100%+???%=????100%+70%=170%
Looking at this table, it's obvious why there are concerns. If you don't get the bonus, you drop up to 70% of experience. Now, I ran five quests today and two quests yesterday looking for as many monsters as possible, and without something I missed, I would have lost out on this bonus.

Raven's Bane: Solo heroic elite, hunted all the scarecrows I could find, still only got Onslaught instead of Conquest (messed up the kill order on the last three brooms but not sure if that would matter since Conquest requires 260 according to the wiki and I don't recall what I had. I assume it's possible if the wiki has that information, but the fact remains that I spent an additional three minutes hunting down every single scarecrow (suboptimal pathing because I don't normally hunt every scarecrow).

Sunrise: Solo heroic elite, got Onslaught bonus. From the wiki: "To get a kills bonus may require killing respawning zombies." Don't know about you, but waiting around to kill respawning zombies is not "ordinary play" for me and leads to my primary concern (coming later).

Ruinous Schemes: Two man heroic elite. Got Onslaught bonus. I know this one is doable for conquest because I have done it, but it requires waiting for respawning enemies. Again, not necessarily something someone not familiar with the quest would do (which my teammate was not). Waiting pads the duration of the quest, which... I mean, I guess how long you wait relative to the conquest bonus is "worth it" time wise, but it leads to a concern I'll raise later.

A Sharn Welcome: Two man heroic elite. Complete run (all notes and optionals), pretty sure it was just an aggression bonus but I didn't check this one. Wiki only lists an aggression tier, which might mean that it's not possible, but I didn't check so not sure here.

Red Rain: Two man heroic elite. Picked every fight possible and eliminated all enemies. Onslaught only.

Best Laid Plans: Two man heroic elite. Onslaught, even with making it into the room quickly. Pretty sure there aren't any optionals to miss there or fights to avoid, but to be honest it's a bit labyrinthine of a layout and I could have missed something... but I'm not spending a few minutes hunting a lost mob in a corner.

Disciples of Shar: Solo heroic elite. Onslaught, even with the optional mountain lions, cultists down that one dead end, and the wolves by the rest shrine which tbh I'm not sure whether they're "optional" or not but figured I'd mention it. Did kill the owlbear before four wolves because I forgot they spawned and they had pathing issues and didn't reach me, so I think in ordinary play I wouldn't have gone looking for them to get kills.

So, yeah. Basically, of my last seven quests, I got conquest on... none of them. There are three reasons why, and they come down to the following concerns:

1. Sometimes conquest relies on "skipable" or repeating spawns. This basically means that in order to get conquest, you need to run every area in the quest, pick the most combat heavy options (including sometimes fighting mobs that can be bypassed by an optional objective), sit around waiting for monsters to respawn, or otherwise approach the quest in a way that increases the base time to complete or ignores other routes and options. Any quest that has two pathways, one combat and one trap/skill check based, now *only* rewards the combat route with a significant portion of the quest experience, meaning that you need to clear both paths, sacrifice a bunch of experience from one route or the other, or sometimes pick decisions that lead to increased enemies and pad the time of the quest. All of these states fall into a category of "Things that take more time than they should and exist only to run pots and pad the length of quests." When this is 10% of the bonus, that's an elective choice based on how quickly you kill monsters. When this is (depending on the gulf between aggression/onslaught and conquest) 70% of the bonus, that's no longer elective. In some quests, this literally means sitting around waiting for respawns to get the conquest bonus, which is tedious, boring, and anti-fun. It is bad game design, and I will say it bluntly because it is a patently an anti-player high friction element of some quests. Some of it might be intentional, some of it might not, but it will ruin any non-combat alternative routes and make "streamlined" runs a lot longer than they are now, basically sucking more time for the same experience, which is a major decrease in experience per minute. If the experience payout is the same, but the time it takes increases by 10%, that is a reduction in experience per minute, even if the numbers work out to be the same in theory.

2. Some quests have ways for groups to "fail" conquest. There are a lot of quests in which the number of kills needed for conquest are only marginally lower than the total number of monsters, and these often come in as adds during the final boss fight. This means that players will need to ignore the boss monster and kill adds to make conquest bonuses happen, and if someone happens to kill the boss, that bonus is lost. I will be as polite as possible in saying that I have seen people ragequit because someone re-entered a quest immediately and the group had to leave and restart wasting fifteen seconds. This community, as much as I love it when it works well, has plenty of people who are one grain of salt away from declaring war and harassing another player away from the game. Having to re-enter a quest is not nearly as disruptive as getting your experience bonus yeeted because the New Guy™ didn't realize that the boss needed to die last and you had one Filler Trash Mob™ that had to eat an arrow first. When one mistake, or missing spawn, or missed cluster of enemies down a sidepath, can ruin the experience payout of an entire quest, that's a big deal. When it's 10% of the bonus, that's rough. When it's up to 70% of the bonus, that's actually huge. Even soloing, I managed to miss two sets of mobs during final fights, one because I screwed up and did too much damage to the boss (rough life, I know) and one because of a pathing issue where they didn't enter the fight until after the boss was dead and I moved to grab the loot. I would say that I'm a pretty experienced player- to err on the (extremely cautious) side, I'd say I've run both quests way more than ten times, and I screwed it up. A newbie could easily screw up without intending to do so. Losing out on up to 70% of the experience because a DoT burned the boss too fast or the new kid didn't wait to kill an add is not fun, or fair, or rewarding. It's frustrating, in a game that really doesn't need more frustrations.

3. Not all quests even have conquest rewards. I don't need to explain this one in full, hopefully, but that basically means that some quests are getting a hard experience nerf equal to whatever the differential is between the highest aggression/onslaught bonus possible in the new system and the current bonus possible of first time + aggression/onslaught. That's just a nerf. Without knowing the numbers, it's impossible to say how big a nerf it is, but it's still a nerf, which makes it hard to stomach the whole "it's not a nerf" line. This is especially true on lower difficulties, where bringing partial groups into quests reduces the numbers of spawns, so someone soloing on normal or hard will probably have a hard time hitting the bonus. Admittedly, that's less of a bonus to lose, but it's still a massive nerf.

Not trying to be a jerk. But this is a stupid change. A stupid idea. I get that it "meshes with how most of the community plays the game" in so far as most groups do enjoy killing as many monsters as possible because we're all horrid murder hobos. Fair enough. But it *doesn't* actually preserve current experience payouts, it forces some very specific playstyle choices like waiting for respawns, zerging every last monster in every last corner, some quest specific speedbumps like clearing multiple routes in order to clean up every monster, and even just actually shaves off rewards in some quests where there *aren't* any ways to get conquest bonuses.

I can only think of two ways to fix it:
1. Universally deflate the number of kills necessary to get the conquest bonus to match the actual "standard" kill rates (probably actually adjusted down a bit further to account for Reapers, optional routes, fight avoidance skill checks, etc.) which would require either sloppy automatic data application from player kill counts or manual adjustments based on the number of monsters in the quest along the "primary" line.
2. Increase baseline experience to account for the fact that experience payouts are going to get hit for any group that doesn't murder every last kobold huddled in a corner crying for their dragon mommy to come save them.

Unless you have a really valiant intern or really confident data on kill counts by which to adjust the conquest threshold for every quest in the game to be reasonably obtainable by an ordinary group playing as average players do this is a nerf to a bunch of quests and anyone who doesn't choose violence every quest. To be honest, if you do have data on kill counts, assuming every group basically gets conquest bonuses every time would be an extremely baffling decision given that it is fundamentally not accurate to my experience both soloing and in groups and while I understand selection size bias is a thing I am one of the aforementioned murder hobos looking for every last quivering kobold to stomp and waiting for enemies to respawn to squeeze out a bit more of that sweet sweet experience juice. In my last seven quests I got conquest a grand total of nope times. It also further encourages one specific playstyle which ignores some of the really good quest design in some quests that allows for other ways to progress, like skill checks, hidden paths, etc. I get that it will encourage people to not just drag hordes of trash mobs throughout the dungeon (which is leading to pathing, which is leading to lag, which is the problem being addressed, I assume) but it's using an atom bomb to target a single building. Yeah, that building is going to be absolutely gone. But it's also going to take out the entire neighborhood, nerf a ton of quests whose only problem is having unobtainable, opposed, or finicky conquest completion criteria, and pad out either quest times or number of quests to grind for anyone who is playing a build that makes hunting every trash mob inconvenient.

Actually, I take it back. It probably won't fix that, because for most of the players who are doing the whole drag hundreds of mobs through a dungeon, they either still will and then just nuke them all at the end (a problem fixed by a different proposed change to AI pathfinding) or they'll just... still not kill the mobs because it will still be faster to just run through even though you're getting less experience, but you just have to do it more times to level up. Which means, instead of less pathing lag, you get the same or more, as people do the exact same thing again.

Anyway, I know I've written a book, so I'm going to stop here, but basically tl;dr this is going to nerf a bunch of quests in which conquest is impossible, force certain routes and playstyles and introduce drag on running through quests since you now need to smack every kobold or you're forfeiting a bunch of experience, and make you spend more time in quests for the same (or less) experience since you need to be 100% certain you get conquest or you lose a bunch more experience than before.

Reposting here from a thread in discussion for visibility, sorry that it's spammy but I wrote it out before realizing that it would probably be more visible and therefore useful here than there.

Status
Not open for further replies.