U66 Preview 2: Tumble Changes

SunTzu

Yeah takes practice kill em fast or get out of range

Esoteric gives 30 mrr cap so its still decent
Usual heavy armor builds give you 200+ mrr, not 80. So much differences between light/cloth and medium/heavy.

DBZ

Alchemits have no fail evasion and can eat legendary traps so its a trade off can always go sorc ek or fvs

Maetrim of Cannith

DDOBuilder Creator
A possible change so that your actual tumble skill matters also:

If its currently 95% in cloth
75% in light
50% in medium
25% in heavy

Make it 95% always in cloth
Make it 3* tumble skill in Light, capped at 75%
Make it 2* tumble skill in Medium, capped at 50%
Make it 1* tumble skill in Heavy, capped at 25%

ACJ97F

Design Philosophy​

We hope very much that these changes further encourage players....
That's funny, considering SSGs constant changes are the reason for your current problems, but we hope the "pips" or whatever you named
them are only when Experimental is turned on. Between the Runearm charge UI, trap icons we can't turn off, and another neon sign, pretty
much have zero desire to play with permanent HUD.

Everyone Else: Let's make that moveable, or add an Off button.
SSG: They can still see, we need more icons, maybe a pie chart.

Reactions: DBZ

Putti

Seems a bit of a shame to not take the opportunity to give an incentive to raise the tumble skill. I feel like the dodge percentages should be based on your skill instead of just a flat bonus.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Recharge should take:
800 / (100 + your tumble skill) = in seconds.
OR
400 / (50 + your tumble skill) = in seconds.
OR
200 / (25 + your tumble skill) = in seconds

To utilize tumble skill somehow. Otherwise why bother taking more than 1 point?

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Seems a bit of a shame to not take the opportunity to give an incentive to raise the tumble skill. I feel like the dodge percentages should be based on your skill instead of just a flat bonus.
A possible change so that your actual tumble skill matters also:
There is a mechanical reason for increasing your Tumble skill within this overhaul:
For this preview, Tumbling now grants the following:
  • A bonus to Reflex saving throws equal to your Tumble skill for 1 second.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Characters start with 2 charges, 8 second recharge, and can get to 4 charges, 8 sec recharge.

First, is this only when using experimental tumbling, or the old 'hold shift tap direction' as well?

Second, WOW that's a long time to recharge, regardless. I think we either need to be able to get enough charges and/or cooldown reduction that there is at most 1-1.5 seconds of cooldown after you run out of charges before you can tumble again.

Third, Icons showing how many tumble charges you have only show when you hold/tap the shift key? Yuck.

Fourth, more icons in the middle of the screen? Really? I think it would be better if ALL of these 'middle of the screen' UI elements should be part of the character portrait, the big one for you not attached to the party list since they are informational only, and not interactable.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
For me, though, I haven't found that the MRR cap disadvantage normally outweighs evasion + huge dodge. Or maybe my experience is different since I'm normally a tankyish melee and you maybe play caster or something and can kite the physical attacks better, but are more often hit with spells?
A lot of melee I know already run light armor just for the dodge. Evasion + spell absorb covers a lot of stuff and then 130 MRR + a good healer covers the rest. Heavy armor is already kinda niche usage and if there's dodge differences between armor types when tumbling, it's just going to make things even more extreme. The fun (sad?) part will be that the average player will wear whatever armor sounds appealing, "Oh, I'm a fighter, I should wear heavy armor" and then be confused why their character doesn't survive as well as the min/maxers who all swapped to light armor for 95% dodge on tumble.

Rincewind

There is a mechanical reason for increasing your Tumble skill within this overhaul:
Could it be that after certain thresholds of Tumble skill the cooldown goes down 1 second? lets say every 50 Tumble the cooldown goes down 1 second? that could be a nice buff too to this kind of playstyle. But if you think is too much, why not add something like this to the core 18 of the acrobat tree? If you think this can be for everyone as originally proposed, maybe we can add something like your tumble bonuses last for two seconds instead of one for the lvl 18 core of acrobat (this tree really need some love in the lvl 12 and 18 cores)

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Could it be that after certain thresholds of Tumble skill the cooldown goes down 1 second? lets say every 50 Tumble the cooldown goes down 1 second? that could be a nice buff too to this kind of playstyle. But if you think is too much, why not add something like this to the core 18 of the acrobat tree? If you think this can be for everyone as originally proposed, maybe we can add something like your tumble bonuses last for two seconds instead of one for the lvl 18 core of acrobat (this tree really need some love in the lvl 12 and 18 cores)
If the cooldown on tumble will be short enough to support that kind of playstyle, what would be the reason not to use tumble again for zerging through quests? The whole point of this change will lose its purpose.
I dont like the charge system on tumble. Is there any reason why cannot be tumbling only enabled during combat/fights without any restrictions?

Zuldar

Recharge should take:
800 / (100 + your tumble skill) = in seconds.
OR
400 / (50 + your tumble skill) = in seconds.
OR
200 / (25 + your tumble skill) = in seconds

To utilize tumble skill somehow. Otherwise why bother taking more than 1 point?
Minor issue with that, what if your tumble is -100 for whatever reason?

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
I dont like the charge system on tumble. Is there any reason why cannot be tumbling only enabled during combat/fights without any restrictions?
This isn't a bad idea. We know that there's something that triggers in Reaper mode that determines if we're in combat or not. Would it be possible to apply that to trigger between normal use of Tumble that doesn't use charges, and Tumble whilst in combat?

Might be a bit of work though... :confused:

J1NG

Ahpuch

Minor issue with that, what if your tumble is -100 for whatever reason?
In case you were wondering, it is permissible to add error handling when converting psuedo code to actual code. You dont need to literally transcribe it.

But the more significant issue is that the suggestion would reinstate the “problem” that for which this change is being made.

Ahpuch

Yeah but that just seems like so less significant than the dodge bonus. My mains all have high reflex already so I may be biased but it seems like when this was announced the chatter was all about the Dodge bonus and little excitement was shown for the reflex increase.

Rincewind

If the cooldown on tumble will be short enough to support that kind of playstyle, what would be the reason not to use tumble again for zerging through quests? The whole point of this change will lose its purpose.
is not enough, how much higher do you think you can get this ? 100? 150? how much would you have to push your build to get to 150 for -3 sec? so 5 second recharge per charge? I just don't see the maths you are seeing that are enabling the zerging tumble meta again, it wouldn't be sustainable enough to allow it, maybe by the time you did all your 3 charges you can get an additional charge but that's it.