We have a one-question survey for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellisaria

Keep on oversimplifying, you're making the same argument repeatedly with just a slight different wording. Stimulate those braincells and take it a step further. Let the debate grow.

hit_fido

Waiting for Monster Manual X...
I said not recommending. I didn't say recommend to not. This is basically what I'd tell them: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Player: "I have fun and I spend a lot of time playing it, but I have absolutely no opinion on whether you should or shouldn't try it out."

DDO Gaming

What does that suggest then about a game that fiscally needs gold rolls even though most people don't use them?
I thought the sole way of accessing free gold rolls is via VIP...which suggests gamers are paying for them. The alternative is via astral shards...which also need to be purchased...

hit_fido

Friend: "Oh you're playing DDO?"

Player: "Yeah I spent 8 hours this weekend, had fun, leveled up this new build and farmed another sentient weapon slot. I'll play it some more tonight, looking forward to it."

Friend: "Huh, should I try it out?"

Player: "I'm going to tell you the good things about this game, but you should be aware of the drawbacks that you will find when you enter. And I'm going to explain those to you as well. It's a shame there are going to be so many."
Friend: "Ok, thanks for the information, but do you think I should give it a try?"

You say?

DDO Gaming

Keep on oversimplifying, you're making the same argument repeatedly with just a slight different wording. Stimulate those braincells and take it a step further. Let the debate grow.
Feel free to expand on the debate if you feel its going in the wrong direction :)(y)

Oliphant

I thought the sole way of accessing free gold rolls is via VIP...which suggests gamers are paying for them. The alternative is via astral shards...which also need to be purchased...
As a feature of VIP it's a reasonable way to get people to log in daily. My point pertained to the ramifications of being fiscally irresponsible to hand out gold rolls via VIP. In a court of evil genie lawyering, I do concede that people were *technically paying for gold rolls with VIP.

DDO Gaming

As a feature of VIP it's a reasonable way to get people to log in daily. My point pertained to the ramifications of being fiscally irresponsible to hand out gold rolls via VIP. In a court of evil genie lawyering, I do concede that people were *technically paying for gold rolls with VIP.
but its a BENEFIT of buying VIP. you pay for x and get ABC as additional benefits

Lazuli

Friend: "Ok, thanks for the information, but do you think I should give it a try?"

You say?
Player: I think you should decide if it is worth it or not with the information I have given you. If you want to try it, I'm happy about it, enter the same server as me, I would like to help you.

It's not about not wanting people to not try lol. I would like player retention to be like years ago. The thing is that I have a lot of experience with the opinions of new people, and I prefer to make it clear to them what there is.

If they want to try it, I'm happy for it. Whether they stay or not later is another story.

I don't hate the game. I don't want to harm even though I'm salty with SSG. But I'm not going to hide what there is either. The truth, plain and simple.

Kimbere

Friend: "Oh you're playing DDO?"

Player: "Yeah I spent 8 hours this weekend, had fun, leveled up this new build and farmed another sentient weapon slot. I'll play it some more tonight, looking forward to it."

Friend: "Huh, should I try it out?"

Player: "Nah."

Makes no sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Too simplistic. It's a bit head-in-the-sand really. A more accurate scenario is:

Friend: "You play DDO right? Do you like it?"

Player: "It's okay most days."

Friend: "Think I should try it then?"

Player: "Are you prone to rage-quitting games easily if you fail or die to no fault of your own? Does it piss you off when a game you're playing lags constantly?"

Friend: "Really? A game that old lags that badly and they haven't fixed it? Well, maybe I'll give it a try and see what I think anyway."

Player: "Okay. It should only cost around $300 to get all the content so you don't miss out on grouping opportunities"

Friend: "Oof, that's a really expensive for a 15 year old game. I can buy BG3 for $60. Or Solasta and all it's DLCs for like $40. Or... don't they have an all-in-one new customer collection or even an all-inclusive monthly sub so I could see if I really like it without spending $300?"

Player: "Nope. Also, if you do decide to buy it, you'll need to spend the next year or two repetitively grinding out 100+ PLs if you want to do serious endgame grouping and raiding."

Friend: "Umm, that seems like an excessively large investment of time. Does it really take that long to get caught up?"

Player: "Well, no. You could always spend $1000-$2000 buying stuff in the DDO store to skip that grind and get caught up instead."

Friend: "***!? That's stupid. Well, what if I just want to play casually?"

Player: "Okay, sure. You might enjoy that. It'll only take you about 6-9 months to figure out how to build toons that aren't garbage, learn the 2432562 different crafting systems for gear, and farming at least a halfway decent set of non-raid gear."

Friend: "... Why in the hell do you play this game?"

Player: "I started ten+ years ago when things were much simpler, the lag wasn't as infurating, VIP subs had value, and the bar to entry was far, far lower. I'm already past all the BS and just enjoy chilling with my DDO friends."

Friend" "Oh. Well, how about we play Enshrouded instead? I heard it's fun and it's $30."

Player: "Sure, that works."

Last edited:

hit_fido

Too simplistic. It's a bit head-in-the-sand really. A more accurate scenario is:
That sounds like a drug addiction. "Yeah I spent all this money and all this time and the game sucks now and the dealer keeps abusing me but I keep playing it because I enjoy chilling."

It's still full of illogical nonsense, too. "The lag is terrible, I don't mind it enough to quit but you'll hate it too much to bother even trying it out." "I had fun playing the game for many hours over a long period of time while I got all these past lives and didn't quit because of the grind, but you wont have any fun playing a lot to get a bunch of past lives like I did, so I wouldn't even bother trying."

Kimbere

That sounds like a drug addiction. "Yeah I spent all this money and all this time and the game sucks now and the dealer keeps abusing me but I keep playing it because I enjoy chilling."

It's still full of illogical nonsense, too. "The lag is terrible, I don't mind it enough to quit but you'll hate it too much to bother even trying it out." "I had fun playing the game for many hours over a long period of time while I got all these past lives and didn't quit because of the grind, but you wont have any fun playing a lot to get a bunch of past lives like I did, so I wouldn't even bother trying."
Great response!

If all you've got left is completely ignoring the point of my post and responding with ad hominems, it seems our conversation is done and we can each go on our merry way.

If however, you actually want to have a intellectual discussion instead, maybe a Cliff's Notes version will help?

It's like this for me. I like the game in spite of it's obvious faults but that's ONLY because I made it past the bar of entry long ago when it was a different, simpler game. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand.

To expound upon that, if my accounts/toons were to be lost/wiped/etc. today, would I invest $300+ to re-buy all the content, invest a year or two of my personal time doing TRs and gearing up a toon or two, and still continue playing DDO? HELL NO.

Notice how I've actually provided info and examples to support my point where all you've done is call anyone who doesn't agree with you illogical, addicted, etc?

Lazuli

So the one person sorta defending recommending DDO is very quick to assume strung-out druggie behavior of DDO players. :ROFLMAO:
#revenue_model
A friend in game described it the other day as Stockholm syndrome: it feels like a waste to leave behind all the money invested here (too much, thinking about it coldly) and all the time spent here (also too much lol)

Anyway, personally, the most difficult connection to break is not the game itself, but because I would be leaving behind people with whom I have played for more than a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.