DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Among other things, this is a good reason why I haven't spent any money on DDO since 2017.

SSG's handling of DDO has been unacceptable by virtually every metric. Whether it's baseless nerfs, lack of any attention to player feedback, an abundance of glitches, or technical incompetence, I find that DDO is the worst managed MMO I've played. Why would I spend money to support SSG, when they've done nothing but actively make the game worse?

Sure, there are still vestiges of DDO to be enjoyed, which is why I still play a few weeks out of the year, but I can still enjoy all the old content for free. I'd happily spend money if I thought it'd be put to good use, or if I felt that SSG deserved it. But why on earth would I believe either of those things?

Vote with your wallet. If you don't like the direction DDO has been going, or don't appreciate SSG's track record of mismanagement, then don't give them money. You don't need to get into lengthy arguments or flame wars on the forums; just stop giving SSG money, plain and simple.
Completely valid to be honest. Thank you for the response!

Pretty sure it's hardware malfunction this time, not players' attitudes.
Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you seem to be saying paying players either should be making demands, or they are bootlicking. I think there are more perfectly reasonable responses for players to have. I disagree that the game 'needs to be up when I load the launcher' outside of scheduled maintenance. Would I like it to be? Sure. My point though, is that your response is not my response, and the next person might have a completely different one to both of us, and that's all okay. You seem to be saying that if I am not making demands then I must be sucking up. I see things in a more nuanced way than that. By all means go ahead with your demands and outrage, but don't expect me to join you just because I spend money on the game, too.
You do you, boo. I simply have a realistic outlook on life. Imagine your phone company shutting your phone service off for 2 weekends out of the month because "oopsies".

The Narc

I get that it's primarily Cordovan's job, but my point is that SSG has been in a complete outage situation for 48+ hours.

That's beyond the pale of the normal day to day communications with the community. Even more so since Cordovan is traveling.

From a team culture and customer relations standpoint, it seems odd to me that nobody else has stepped in to help the guy.
It wouldnt be some thing you would think odd if you read my original post and the follow ups, they were bang on, and it might explain some of that oddity you are feeling or the mystery others are questioning.

😊

Shardrena

You do you, boo. I simply have a realistic outlook on life. Imagine your phone company shutting your phone service off for 2 weekends out of the month because "oopsies".

I have lost phone service because of provider incompetence. But it wasn't 2 weekends out of a month, it was four months strait, because they refused to send anyone out to check when I reported the problem initially. Or the next 50 times I reported the problem was still ongoing. Eventually (using my mom's phone) I convinced them that yes, if they send someone out and the problem is in the apartment building I was living in then I would pay the $150 repair/service fee they were citing. As it turned out, the problem was a blown fuse in a junction several blocks away. A blown fuse which had knocked out phone and internet in a 8 block radius for the last 4 months. While still charging everyone monthly for services they were not receiving for four months. And with no compensation ever given. THAT was something to get angry about. And it caused me to switch providers as soon as there was a competing provider.

An MMO's servers being down for a few days? That's not outrage worthy.

EDIT: And don't try pulling the "I pay money for this" card to justify things either. You have no idea how much money I've thrown towards DDO since it's launch. Actually, neither do I. But it's pretty damn substantial, and I'd just dropped another $90 on the game a week or so ago.

Col Kurtz

the whiners really came out the last few pages

there's quite a few games that only last 3 months now a days, before devs abandon them....no refund, just tough luck

*Perspective * ya'll

I would like to thank the glass 1/2 full crowd ! some fun posts back there helped for sure:)

the negative side has a 1/2 full glass too > unfortunately that 1/2 is Cod Liver Oil

Myosin

At what point do we as players who most likely have spent or currently spend money on the game (via vip, boxes, exp pots, etc) Decide to stop licking their (devs) boots, and hold them accountable to the issues they have either directly caused, or indirectly caused by not upgrading hardware, having proper failsafes, etc?

This kind of downtime with virtually no updates besides "we are working on it" is not acceptable in any other company, let alone an MMORPG. I just keep my fingers crossed this opens their eyes to their failing servers (which should have been obvious due to the mass lag) and they finally decide to spend some money on upgrades.... is that Fiscally Responsible?

I always feel DDO is about to take its last breath - that one day they'll just close it down out of the blue - but I've been feeling that since 2014. I am starting to feel they want me to feel that. I think the economic cartels behind the game conglomerate companies don't want people playing the same game forever like I played some 1996 Daggerfall yesterday - or more specifically if they do play the same game it ought be specific types of games that aren't this one.

darrett71

the whiners really came out the last few pages

there's quite a few games that only last 3 months now a days, before devs abandon them....no refund, just tough luck

*Perspective * ya'll

I would like to thank the glass 1/2 full crowd ! some fun posts back there helped for sure:)

the negative side has a 1/2 full glass too > unfortunately that 1/2 is Cod Liver Oil
I'm just a person that thinks it is what it is and whining or fanboying over the game isn't going to change anything for anyone. However, it is entertaining to watch.

I have lost phone service because of provider incompetence. But it wasn't 2 weekends out of a month, it was four months strait, because they refused to send anyone out to check when I reported the problem initially. Or the next 50 times I reported the problem was still ongoing. Eventually (using my mom's phone) I convinced them that yes, if they send someone out and the problem is in the apartment building I was living in then I would pay the $150 repair/service fee they were citing. As it turned out, the problem was a blown fuse in a junction several blocks away. A blown fuse which had knocked out phone and internet in a 8 block radius for the last 4 months. While still charging everyone monthly for services they were not receiving for four months. And with no compensation ever given. THAT was something to get angry about. And it caused me to switch providers as soon as there was a competing provider.

An MMO's servers being down for a few days? That's not outrage worthy.

EDIT: And don't try pulling the "I pay money for this" card to justify things either. You have no idea how much money I've thrown towards DDO since it's launch. Actually, neither do I. But it's pretty damn substantial, and I'd just dropped another $90 on the game a week or so ago.
So.... correct me if I'm wrong here... but it sounds like you held the company accountable? LMAO

Glad we're on the same page, Shard. Have a good evening.

Elharith

If your building takes a direct lightning hit, lots of surge protectors/redundancies/etc. are going to fail. Been there, done that. My isp was down for a week because of a direct lightning hit a few years back. I don't know if that was what happened, but I do know a major storm went through around the time ddo went down. So *shrug* I hope when the game does come back up a roll-back isn't required, but until then, I'm trying to wait patiently. *Patience is not my strong suit, but I sure am getting lots of practice at it the older I get.*

Col Kurtz

If your building takes a direct lightning hit, lots of surge protectors/redundancies/etc. are going to fail. Been there, done that. My isp was down for a week because of a direct lightning hit a few years back. I don't know if that was what happened, but I do know a major storm went through around the time ddo went down. So *shrug* I hope when the game does come back up a roll-back isn't required, but until then, I'm trying to wait patiently. *Patience is not my strong suit, but I sure am getting lots of practice at it the older I get.*
indeed...any of you ever been close to a Lightning Strike? one hit right next to my home years back...sounded like a 105 mm artillery shell hit

Know what I find interesting? I can think off several MMOs off the top of my head which also regularly suffer from severe lag.
Long time ago, when I played EVE-Online, I have lags ONLY when I was in the same solar system with other 500+ players. Other time even the game had more then couple of thousand players at the same time, I have no lags on my OLD PC with 1 Mb/s internet :)

Falkor

Progress is being made. The ability to login is back. This means some connectivity has been restored. Servers are still down though. It appears that there are people pulling an overnighter to repair this. May the caffeine force be strong with them.

Now shall we discuss fiscal responsibility? :D Exactly HOW did we end up here? Fiscally responsible choices, and the people making them.

Let's hope the backups are up to date. There will be massive player outrage if there is rollback. And more so if there is no communication or accountability. Let's hope SSG doesn't SSG, but instead ... let's hope SSG acts like Larian.

Last edited:

irnimnode

Firat off, hats off to Cordo and the rest of the team working to get thing back online ( especially on their would be holidays off time) It would appear that they are making some positive progress, I can now log in but all worlds show that they are down. And I can also login to the forms now. Y'all are mostly let's say educational, some what funny at times which is all cool. But I agree with Cordo, Stop the fighting it gets you nowhere, it is a game and these thing happen from time to time. Fight with each other will not make it get fixed any faster. Yeah I am bored stiff because I can not play but what the heck. Give them their time and things will get fixed. Y'all play nice now ya hear, catch ya on the flip side in the game.

Pano

I'm pretty sure the absence of the game is the cause of the forum jousting. We literally have nothing better to do.
Although it's sad, it means this game has apparently a very dedicated group of players - so maybe DDO will still be running in 10 years (if the servers don't burst into flames or the playerbase die of old age, of course)