A Message to Our Players From SSG

Vox

Devs: Hopefully you implement a timer on our accounts, to show EXACTLY when these compensatory bonuses expire.

It's not a silly idea TBH. We know the game can have time counting down on a buff bar, and we know that there are hover-over popup windows for buff bar buffs. We know next row down buffs can be dynamic (hardcore world icon, year of the dragon gift popup etc).

@Devs would this be challenging to implement? Are the bonus days just an extra DB entry or pull/read request layer? Could it be automated with a calendar entry that the system reads from or even manually an on/off switch?

This game is accessed worldwide across so many timezones, it would add easy to see clarity about what the current bonus/boost is while in game.

Putti

I'd honestly have expected something more in the way of an apology - not simply refunding the lost time. Of course not an Otto box like others are suggesting, but an extended outage during a big international holiday weekend and all that's offered is a slight boost that you need to play in a short specific timeframe to even take advantage of?

Last edited:

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
So reading responses SSG should offer the following to please the greedy. 1)4 Free past lives for every current toon on every server for every player. 2) 1 Heroic and 1 Epic Otto box for every character on every server for every player. 3) Gold rolls for everyone for 12 months. 4) Gold rolls for VIP should never roll below 90. 5) Next 3 adventure packs should be free to all current players.
I think that may appease the masses.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
I realize it was only two days, but it was two days over a holiday weekend that many of us had hopes of playing more than usual. I know of several players, myself included, will not have the opportunity to play over this upcoming weekend.

Please take this in the manner that it is given, but what you are offering is not good enough to make up for the loss of play time. Some players may feel insulted by the minuscule nature of what you are providing.

VIP Gold Rolls should be extended to April 28th at a minimum. Shutting it off on a Friday, April 26th, makes no sense.
2 Additional Days for a VIP is of little consequence, making it 7 days would have earned SSG some good will, the reality is they should have been a VIP bonus thrown in, like +10 Reaper XP bonus or something.
One weekend worth of three relatively minor bonuses, should have been a week or the bonuses should have been better.

There was a secret bonus for the downtime - you had a life! :D

Sylvado

So reading responses SSG should offer the following to please the greedy. 1)4 Free past lives for every current toon on every server for every player. 2) 1 Heroic and 1 Epic Otto box for every character on every server for every player. 3) Gold rolls for everyone for 12 months. 4) Gold rolls for VIP should never roll below 90. 5) Next 3 adventure packs should be free to all current players.
You think there wouldn't still be complaints.

I appreciate the offerings, but I have to admit a slight bit of disappointment. The LOTRO notice came my way first before seeing this one, and I was a bit surprised to see a coupon code for a mount there, but nothing similar here.

LOTRO makeup notice

Jesus, they really do hate us.

• To further show our gratitude, we are offering the following from Wednesday, April 3rd through April 8th:
    • A +20% boost in Virtue XP.
    • Use the coupon code, REWARD2024, for a Pick a Mount selection package that can be redeemed once per account in the LOTRO store.

What a kick in the nads.

I really think a lot of people are undervaluing Treasure Hunter weekend, that's one of the biggest boosts they can turn on for us

But...dang, yeah LOTRO got a free mount...they havent created that ability for DDO yet, but you'd think they could do something like give everyone 100 Glamerdust or something at least
Extra mounts in LOTRO are one of the rewards that are absolutely worthless to some players, while being awesome to some others. And when the game probably has literally hundreds of mounts, I guess there's also a section of playerbase that are like "Oh, another mount, ... yay I suppose". This is especially true now that it seems like the reward is one of those boxes that lets you to choose from ~dozen old, mostly dull-looking mounts which have been in game for ages, just like those selection boxes themselves. It doesn't let you choose any one you'd want from the ridiculously large pool of different mounts, which would have been way better.

I personally don't need any more than one mount to get around faster than running, and any more than that won't affect my gameplay in any way. I'm happy for those that are happy, though, in both games.

mikarddo

Cheers,

I would, however, suggest to string out the bonus for a full week, and to add in 10% vip xp as well. That would feel more appropriate.

Lazuli

We'd like to apologize for the unplanned downtime that occurred this weekend due to an outage at our data center. Our engineering and IT teams worked diligently throughout the weekend to resolve the issues, and we're pleased to report that the problems have been fixed.

We recognize the significance of this outage, especially over a holiday weekend, and we're truly sorry for any inconvenience it caused. To show our appreciation for your patience and support, we're announcing the following to our players:
  • VIP Daily Gold Rolls are extended to April 26th.
  • All VIPs will receive 2 additional days of VIP status to compensate for the downtime. (Changes will take effect on Wednesday, April 3rd. We will confirm when they are implemented.)
  • To further show our gratitude, we are offering the following from April 5th through April 7th:
    • +25% Heroic and Epic XP Boost.
    • +25% Guild Renown.
    • +10 Treasure Hunter Boost.

We deeply appreciate your understanding and continued support. Thank you for being a part of our community and we’ll see you in game!

Website Link: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-makegood2024-040224
Thank you. You are doing the right thing, especially respecting your paying customers.

But only two days of xp boost? Please, we have lost vacation time and not all of us will be able to play this weekend. Put in a whole week. At the very least, be smart and say that you will not remove the bonus until the next Wednesday downtime. Earn some goodwill! Seriously, you need to improve your public relations skills.

Lazuli

Is 2 days a bit underwhelming? Yes. However, they'll likely forget to turn off the bonuses until the maintenance anyways, as they usually do, so we'll probably get more out of it.
Well, let them improve their public relations a little and make it official by saying that the bonus will be until next Wednesday That would earn them some goodwill.

Seriously, we have to tell them this! Don't they have even the slightest ounce of business sense?

Epicsoul

This is very appreciated. Do not mind the people expecting more.

To all the haters out there for this, 2 days being away from the game, good god people. All it did was get you to do something, anything else with your time. Grow up, stop whining, and go touch some grass for once in your life.

Ignore the haters on this post, most of us greatly appreciate the effort to get the game back up and running.

Thanks very much for getting the game back up and for the boosts. Given all the bitching you had to put up with (and still putting up with), it's probably more than anyone really deserves.

First, I acknowledge the efforts of the Standing Stone Games team over the weekend and appreciate them. We all understand that unexpected work calls suck. However, let's not pretend this was charity; it's a job for which they are compensated.

As for those attacking other players who are dissatisfied with the apology bonuses/gifts, it is poor taste. Several in this thread have voiced approval of SSG's efforts without resulting to attacking others. Expressing dissatisfaction with the compensation provided isn't inherently selfish or ungrateful; it a valid opinion.

While I originally was okay with the bonuses but disappointment with the short time frame, I can no longer say that after seeing what the LOTRO player base received. Critiquing the discrepancy in compensation between DDO and LOTRO isn't an act of greed; it's a reasonable observation. Players in both games experienced equal downtimes, so it's understandable that they would expect equitable apology gifts and bonuses. LOTRO players have 5 days to take advantage of the xp bonus AND receive a free mount from the in game store (1500-2500 points). To me, this is a significant disparity.

If you genuinely believe that SSG's response was satisfactory and deserving of praise, that's fantastic. However, attacking players who hold a different viewpoint only serves to stifle constructive dialogue. Let's foster an environment where all opinions are respected, and where feedback can help improve the overall gaming experience for everyone.

EDIT: Apparently the free mount is a box selection and not any mount from the store. Thanks @GrindFlayer for the correction.

Last edited:

Eme

I look at it this way: what should they do for two -three days downtime, and compare it to what should they do to prime holiday downtime. They should not be the same, as it does not respect the prime time lost to some. For example: you don't get an Xmas dinner replaced with a mac and cheese voucher.

*snip * LOTRO players have 5 days to take advantage of the xp bonus AND receive a free mount from the in game store (1500-2500 points). To me, this is a significant disparity.

*snip*
This is not true. They get a box called "Pick-a-mount"[*], which lets you choose one from a selection of 13 old horses that are almost all available via festivals and/or are not nearly as expensive as you said. I just redeemed the code myself.

* https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Item:pick_a_Mount