DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Toede

Are you kidding me? We just had the issue where the game was unplayable for a week because you had to keep restarting the client or it was a slide show.
Then the store went down twice
And now this.
All this in less than two months.

Hobgoblin

lets see 2012ish iirc wow went down for a week. radio silence from devs other then they were working on it. i dont play the other games so cant say

Shardrena

Really now go find me the specific instance where it happens two, three times in less than as many months. Since it happens so often it shouldn't take you long to find it and point it out for all of us.

All of the games I listed, and others I didn't had such unexpected down times, especially after major patches. Sometimes multiple times in less then 3 months. And often taking 3 to 7 days to fix things.

Hobgoblin

Are you kidding me? We just had the issue where the game was unplayable for a week because you had to keep restarting the client or it was a slide show.
And now this.
you were talking about server downtimes no?

moving the goal posts again.

trolling 201 now?

Hobgoblin

diablo 3 completely removed a necromancer tree and that made the whole class unplayable - like you would log in on a necro and it would crash

Cordovan

Community Manager
Thanks for the update and all the work the team is doing this weekend.

On Fridays at Four you mentioned there was going to be some work on the build machines over the weekend that could impact the patch this week. I wouldn't think that would cause any issues with the production servers, but I am guessing we definitely won't have a patch this week as a result of the outage.

They were totally unrelated but it shouldn't be an issue in terms of getting builds done. We will have to see if there is a game update this week. Clearly we have to sort through the impact of this downtime, once it is resolved.

And now this.
To be fair, those 3 incidents are different and do not indicate a pattern of server outages.

1) The week of degraded gameplay due to a code change was not a server outage. While annoying and most definitely a bug, there was a temporary fix, restart the client. I was able to play during the week like normal, I just had to restart my client 1-2 times per play session.

2) Store going down. This doesn't count as a server outage as I was able to play the game with the exception of accessing the store. I don't doubt that it impacted others more than me but I was able to play as I usually do since I don't use the store daily.

3) This server outage, by what we've heard so far, sounds completely like a hardware issue in the datacenter and has nothing to do with code changes. We don't know if this is SSG's hardware or if this is something the datacenter provides. I don't know for certain but I don't recall the game having this issue before. I heard about the migration outage in 2019 but I wasn't playing the game then and again, that sounds slightly different than what we're experiencing right now.

Tscheuss

I just wish SSG would separate DDO from LotRO, so a problem with one does not keep us from playing the other.

Toede

To be fair, those 3 incidents are different and do not indicate a pattern of server outages.

1) The week of degraded gameplay due to a code change was not a server outage. While annoying and most definitely a bug, there was a temporary fix, restart the client. I was able to play during the week like normal, I just had to restart my client 1-2 times per play session.

2) Store going down. This doesn't count as a server outage as I was able to play the game with the exception of accessing the store. I don't doubt that it impacted others more than me but I was able to play as I usually do since I don't use the store daily.

3) This server outage, by what we've heard so far, sounds completely like a hardware issue in the datacenter and has nothing to do with code changes. We don't know if this is SSG's hardware or if this is something the datacenter provides. I don't know for certain but I don't recall the game having this issue before. I heard about the migration outage in 2019 but I wasn't playing the game then and again, that sounds slightly different than what we're experiencing right now.

Yes, you are right. They are different. But it still establishes a pattern. A bad one.

Telling people to restart their client constantly is not a fix. It was annoying and many people just gave up and had to wait for a near week until it was resolved.

You're making excuses for them. Stop.