How does Wizards kill bosses and other monsters that can't be killed by insta kill?

Kimbere

I would like for some people to have a higher cognitive ability, not see everything in black and white, and appreciate options and variety, rather than just being obedient zombies who accept everything and blindly follow the herd.

But keep buying your tickets, Mustangs, etc... :)
You talk about higher cognitive ability but apparently didn't comprehend what you read very well since you think I said I was buying tickets and Mustangs. Interesting.

RobShow

You talk about higher cognitive ability but apparently didn't comprehend what you read very well since you think I said I was buying tickets and Mustangs. Interesting.
I understood, and that's why I was sarcastic with you. You didn't understand what I said, but there's always one of you in the wizard threads.

Wizard players aren't asking to be or have top DPS, or to be Uber or anything like that. No one also wants to switch classes, hence the feedback.

Could you post something useful pertaining to WIZARD DAMAGE, maybe some combo, ability, etc... that most didn't realize. But like many others, his brilliant contribution is to tell others to change classes or use a single thing, which is unfeasible for a wizard, since we have no way to overcome immunity like the other casters.

RobShow

If you're happy following the meta, being uber, top, or whatever **** like that, keep being happy! People are not all the same, a lot of people don't want to be the top of the galaxies, they just want variety of options and for these options to be useful, which doesn't determine that they are the best.

magnus2882

Doing a little research, I saw that J1NG wrote thos year that he tested the feat, and it was working, but it only added a few seconds to the duration.

But come on, what does it matter? The thing is whether it's a good choice for a build right now. You can't wait for a fix that may take years or never arrive. If they improve (or fix, I don't care) the feat one day and it has an appreciable effect, then we can discuss whether to use it or not. Right now the feat adds 3 seconds to the duration, nothing more. Decide if it's worth for your build or not.
What does it matter? It matters a great deal, and the dev's have known about it for years and that it is not WAI. It matters because people that don't know that it's crap and only boosts NEB waste a feat and then have to burn resources or ddo points to change it!

Think about it, it was intended to boost 2 Auras 10 Cl. That's 2d4+1 per every 2 caster levels and 3d4+1 ever caster level which would be 12 additional levels EACH at level 32 - which is HUGE and scaled with NHA on top of that. If it worked as intended, think of the difference it would make survivability wise in higher reapers!

Lazuli

What does it matter? It matters a great deal, and the dev's have known about it for years and that it is not WAI. It matters because people that don't know that it's crap and only boosts NEB waste a feat and then have to burn resources or ddo points to change it!

Think about it, it was intended to boost 2 Auras 10 Cl. That's 2d4+1 per every 2 caster levels and 3d4+1 ever caster level which would be 12 additional levels EACH at level 32 - which is HUGE and scaled with NHA on top of that. If it worked as intended, think of the difference it would make survivability wise in higher reapers!
It doesn't matter because I have said actively and passively that the feat is not worth it because it only has an appreciable effect on NEB.

But have you read my posts? I made it very clear what the feat did, and that in death auras it only increases the duration by a few seconds.

Read my original post:
It is not bugged, it is that Master of death only noticeably improves neg energy burst. It works on death auras, but all it does is extend their duration by a few seconds (the death aura damage formula makes the increase in CL unnoticeable), and that's not worth it. Basically, Master of death is Master of Negative Energy brust.

I haven't picked it up in a long time. Epic feats are really tight, and I don't feel that Master of death provides enough benefit to invest a valuable feat in it. It's spending a feat to improve a single spell. If you think it's worth it, go ahead. I have never believed it was worth it. There are many feats that I would like to be able to take and I don't have room for them. This is not one of them :(

In my opinion, the Master of... should be destiny feats. They are too weak affecting so few low level spells to be worthwhile as regular feats.

Where have you seen in this post that I don't say that feat is crap?

The Narc

Yes but the devs wont fix it because they hate palemaster wizards, turbine loved them but SSG does not

voenixa121

Thats not how these auras scale. Its 1 extra damage per 2 levels. Even if it gave those +5 to death auras it would not be worth it.

magnus2882

It doesn't matter because I have said actively and passively that the feat is not worth it because it only has an appreciable effect on NEB.

But have you read my posts? I made it very clear what the feat did, and that in death auras it only increases the duration by a few seconds.

Read my original post:

Where have you seen in this post that I don't say that feat is crap?
I wasn't challenging your opinion, rather correcting what you said. You said originally that the auras scale with the healing but isn't noticeable because of the way the CL is calculated, and it adds a few seconds on the duration. I replied that the healing doesn't scale whatsoever, and that what you wrote was misinformation, which you don't seem to acknowledge.

Refutor

why not splash three levels of acolyte of the skin? it won't be a spell damage dps increase per se, but allows you to case level 9 spells still, with second tier of tainted scholar you will get more crit damage, arcane supremacy is all kinds of crit damage on elditch blast, and some SP free damage through eldrich blast when your SP runs out. the extra wizard feats make the acolye feats at 6, 12, 18 a little more attainable...match it with tiefling scorch and you can damage those guys at end of White Mountain.

NOTE : I am not saying this is a good idea, or even better than pure 20, i am just offering a way to do more damage if you are running out of SP at end fights in R4.

Last edited:

magnus2882

To the OP:

I run a pure Wiz PM.

I rarely ever run out of sp. I go lich form and gear towards neg spell power 1st, and neg healing amp 2nd. I always max my heal skill and once I hit level 12 it's easy street. By the time I hit level 15, I blaze thru GH and usually solo the whole saga on R1. Most mobs I 1 shot with Necrotic blast which costs only a mere handful of spell points. The few mobs that are immune to Neg energy, I usually hit them with chain lightning, arcane tempest, or wall of fire. I deal with undead by blasting them with Necrotic blast from a distance when they are at full health, then, thanks to Unholy Avatar, The next blast usually takes about 65-75% of their health and I jump back and hit them with one more and the whole group is annihilated.

At epic levels around level 26, I take the Draconic Incarnation enhancements to turn all my spells into Negative energy DOTS and then modify my epic strike to explode within - again easy street, hit the mobs with necrotic blast, and if they don't die before they get to you, explode with the epic strike and all are toast. With the Necrotic blast, I usually hit at least 3-4 monsters and they get 5 ticks of 2-3k. Hit them with chain lighting, they get an additional 5 ticks that stack on top of the first lot...

Usually never have to use a shrine, and most definitely don't run out of spell points. Never have a problem taking out mobs and rarely I use instakill.

magnus2882

Just to add one more thing: Usually mid epic levels I have about a 60-65% crit chance, so most of the time my Necrotic Blast crits for 4-5k. And having maximize/empower/heighten/Intensify for free on my SLAS is icing on the cake!

Lazuli

I wasn't challenging your opinion, rather correcting what you said. You said originally that the auras scale with the healing but isn't noticeable because of the way the CL is calculated, and it adds a few seconds on the duration. I replied that the healing doesn't scale whatsoever, and that what you wrote was misinformation, which you don't seem to acknowledge.
At no point have I said that auras scale with healing, but rather that the duration increases by a few seconds and that is not worth it. Read the posts again.

And as voenixa121 said, if they scaled it would be a +5. It would not be noticiable.

Last edited:

Lazuli

To the OP:

I run a pure Wiz PM.

I rarely ever run out of sp. I go lich form and gear towards neg spell power 1st, and neg healing amp 2nd. I always max my heal skill and once I hit level 12 it's easy street. By the time I hit level 15, I blaze thru GH and usually solo the whole saga on R1. Most mobs I 1 shot with Necrotic blast which costs only a mere handful of spell points. The few mobs that are immune to Neg energy, I usually hit them with chain lightning, arcane tempest, or wall of fire. I deal with undead by blasting them with Necrotic blast from a distance when they are at full health, then, thanks to Unholy Avatar, The next blast usually takes about 65-75% of their health and I jump back and hit them with one more and the whole group is annihilated.

At epic levels around level 26, I take the Draconic Incarnation enhancements to turn all my spells into Negative energy DOTS and then modify my epic strike to explode within - again easy street, hit the mobs with necrotic blast, and if they don't die before they get to you, explode with the epic strike and all are toast. With the Necrotic blast, I usually hit at least 3-4 monsters and they get 5 ticks of 2-3k. Hit them with chain lighting, they get an additional 5 ticks that stack on top of the first lot...

Usually never have to use a shrine, and most definitely don't run out of spell points. Never have a problem taking out mobs and rarely I use instakill.
R1 is not the problem...

magnus2882

At no point have I said that auras scale with healing, but rather that the duration increases by a few seconds and that is not worth it. Read the posts again.

And as voenixa121 said, if they scaled it would be a +5. It would not be noticiable.

It is not bugged, it is that Master of death only noticeably improves neg energy burst. It works on death auras, but all it does is extend their duration by a few seconds (the death aura damage formula makes the increase in CL unnoticeable), and that's not worth it. Basically, Master of death is Master of Negative Energy brust.

I haven't picked it up in a long time. Epic feats are really tight, and I don't feel that Master of death provides enough benefit to invest a valuable feat in it. It's spending a feat to improve a single spell. If you think it's worth it, go ahead. I have never believed it was worth it. There are many feats that I would like to be able to take and I don't have room for them. This is not one of them :(

In my opinion, the Master of... should be destiny feats. They are too weak affecting so few low level spells to be worthwhile as regular feats.

It is not bugged, it is that Master of death only noticeably improves neg energy burst. It works on death auras, but all it does is extend their duration by a few seconds (the death aura damage formula makes the increase in CL unnoticeable.)

The quoted text in red clearly states that death aura damage is affected. Unnoticeable is NOT the same as unaffected.

Mokune

why not splash three levels of acolyte of the skin? it won't be a spell damage dps increase per se, but allows you to case level 9 spells still, with second tier of tainted scholar you will get more crit damage, arcane supremacy is all kinds of crit damage on elditch blast, and some SP free damage through eldrich blast when your SP runs out. the extra wizard feats make the acolye feats at 6, 12, 18 a little more attainable...match it with tiefling scorch and you can damage those guys at end of White Mountain.

NOTE : I am not saying this is a good idea, or even better than pure 20, i am just offering a way to do more damage if you are running out of SP at end fights in R4.
I actually ran this build and loved it. Didn't do Tiefling but also didn't miss the fire debuff due to the flexibility of Wizard spell choices.
Also did 3 AoTS with 17 FVS which was fun as hell too.

Lazuli

The quoted text in red clearly states that death aura damage is affected. Unnoticeable is NOT the same as unaffected.
Pfff, is it a matter of ego to be on top or something? Because I still don't see your point. You accuse me of spreading misinformation and worry that someone will fall into the trap of chossing the feat when from the beginning I have said that the feat is not worth it.

You get punctilious by saying that unnoticeable is not the same as unaffected. Well, for the same reason I tell you that the feat is having an effect on death aura, which is to increase its duration by a few seconds. And it would not matter if it also affected the healing because the increase would be so minimal that it would not even be noticed.

Instead of talking nonsense, how about you get to the important point, which is whether or not the feat works it is useless in all the spells it affects, except NEB? If you focus on useful information, you help more those who don't know about the subject.

Br4d

I don't know how people can talk about this patch and tell everyone, it was the worst thing in DDO history, while keeping a straight face. There are like 60 buffs and 5 nerfs in the patchnotes and people make it sound like the patchnote only got 5 entries. It is just mind boggling to me.

And OP could take a closer look at the Magus ED, it got a lot of buffs, especially in the single target dmg department.

Magus is definitely interesting for an EK/PM. I'm pretty sure there are better options but Magus fits a melee/caster ok.

Kimbere

From https://www.ddoaudit.com/servers#population-distribution-by-class

8uIX31n.png

Well gee, that's interesting! Wizards sure are popular for such a downtrodden, under powered class.

It seems they're the 5th most popular class in the game.

It's also interesting to note that the four classes ahead of them on the chart all have archetype options. We can assume having an archetype slightly inflates the popularity of said class on the graph due to people still working on those past lives.

So wizards are the most popular non-archetype class in the game. It's possible wizards might even be 4th once the dragon lord shine wears off and the fighter icon population normalizes.

That's a solid showing!

Here's the sorcerer vs wizard stats specifically:
o8atjET.png

Across all the servers, wizards are, on average, 2.5% more popular than sorcerer icons. That translates to ~8000 more wizards than sorcerers in the last quarter.

Last edited: