How does Wizards kill bosses and other monsters that can't be killed by insta kill?

RobShow

1. I'm Brazilian!
2. I prefer to play in a group and in the classic way, everyone plays a role. Meanwhile... The time I can play doesn't coincide with the time most of you Americans and Europeans play. Time zone exists!

So, if the Devs changed the design of the game from party to do-it-yourself, everyone should be able to play. Some will be faster than others, 5 or 10 minutes, that's fine! Needing double, triple or more time is stupid!

EinarMal

I'm gearing up, running a round of reaps, and getting comfy on it. I'll let you know my progress.

I think these sorts of things are interesting personally, not all the back and forth of course.

I love Wizard builds, I am very proud of the following gear set if this helps you. I have been pushing my solo ability.

Slot
Head Dino (20/10/5 Acid,+2 Sacred,Walking)
Eye Legendary Dusk Lenses
Armor Dino (Voidscale,Voidfang,+5 Cold,Resistance,Walking)
Wrist Legendary Kopru Bracers (+20 Force, Dread)
Ring1 Bound Elemental Ring of Acid (Chained)
Ring2 Bound Elemental Ring of Frost (Chained)
Boots Osfield's Lightning Boots (Dread)
Gloves Dino Artifact (Int +15, 10/5 Force,Ghostly,Dread)
Cloak Legendary Walking Ancestor's Shroud (Walking)
Belt Legendary Black Satin Waist
Trinket Epic Gem of Many Facets (Void Lore,Con +14,Ins. Intelligence,Elders)
Necklace Elder's Focus (Elders)
Weapon Attuned Dino Weapon (Shadowscale, Meltfang, Brightclaw, Flamehorn, Dread)
Weapon Legendary Powder-Packed Barrel (Dread)

This packs in Walking, Dread, Chained elements, and Elders.

With this setup you can get standing ~900-1000 spell power across all elements pre-meta.

The critical chance is going to be around 50-65% depending on the elements but you cover Acid, Lightning, Sonic, Cold, Fire, Force, Fire, Void

The biggest downside is critical damage, the range is 40-100, but you can only really choose 2 to really push. Acid is the main one, the other chosen here is Force. That can vary on preference. Acid/Force can get up to 80-100 range, the other elements are going to be around 40-50.

If you take Ruin/Gruin and Draconic Ruin Intensified with Acid, I can solo Iron Golem-heavy quests like Reach for the Sky or Best Laid Plans on R6 with very reasonable completion times. I am not claiming to be the best player, I am sure someone could solo at least some quests on R10.

It does sacrifice some DC, if you run Fatesinger and use the IOD staff that gets you another +4 DC to all schools.

Reaper Int: 116

DCs (No Boost):
Illusion: 129
Necro: 126
Enchant: 124
Conjuration: 118
Evocation: 118

Enhancements (98)
Archmage 41
Racial 17
Palemaster 23
Falconry 8
Feydark 9

Epic Destiny DC (75)
Draconic 35
Primal 24
Magus 16

Feats: (7 + 5WB)
1-Quicken
1-(WB) Maximize
3-Arcane Initiate
5-(WB) Empower
6-Extend swap Enlarge
9-SF Conjuration
10-(WB) SF Illusion
12-Insightful Reflexes
15-(WB) SF Necromancy
15-GSF Necromancy
18-GSF Illusion
20-(WB) Heighten
21-Epic SF Necromancy
22-Epic Spellpower Acid
24-Embolden
25-Epic Spell Power Force
27-Ruin
28-Epic Spell Power Cold
30-Scion of Feywild
30-Greater Ruin
31-Spell Specialty Enchantment

Augments
Topaz of Enchantment Power
Topaz of Conjuration Power
Topaz of Evocation Power
Topaz of Greater Enchantment
Topaz of Greater Necromancy
Topaz of Greater Illusion
Topaz of Greater Conjuration
Topaz of Greater Evocation
Saphire of Heavy Fortification
Saphire of Defense
Saphire of False Life
Saphire of Dodge
Pomura's Momento
Ravil's Book of Legendary Recipes
Diamond of Spellcraft
Diamond of Heal
Legendary Moment to Legendary Moment
Diamond of Insightful Constitution
Festive Int
Festive Con
Globe of Imperial Blood
The Blackstone Liturgy
Ruby of Devotion
Diamond of Perform

Last edited:

Guntango

I think these sorts of things are interesting personally, not all the back and forth of course.

I love Wizard builds, I am very proud of the following gear set if this helps you. I have been pushing my solo ability.

Slot
Head Dino (20/10/5 Acid,+2 Sacred,Walking)
Eye Legendary Dusk Lenses
Armor Dino (Voidscale,Voidfang,+5 Cold,Resistance,Walking)
Wrist Legendary Kopru Bracers (+20 Force, Dread)
Ring1 Bound Elemental Ring of Acid (Chained)
Ring2 Bound Elemental Ring of Frost (Chained)
Boots Osfield's Lightning Boots (Dread)
Gloves Dino Artifact (Int +15, 10/5 Force,Ghostly,Dread)
Cloak Legendary Walking Ancestor's Shroud (Walking)
Belt Legendary Black Satin Waist
Trinket Epic Gem of Many Facets (Void Lore,Con +14,Ins. Intelligence,Elders)
Necklace Elder's Focus (Elders)
Weapon Attuned Dino Weapon (Shadowscale, Meltfang, Brightclaw, Flamehorn, Dread)
Weapon Legendary Powder-Packed Barrel (Dread)

This packs in Walking, Dread, Chained elements, and Elders.

With this setup you can get standing ~900-1000 spell power across all elements pre-meta.

The critical chance is going to be around 50-65% depending on the elements but you cover Acid, Lightning, Sonic, Cold, Fire, Force, Fire, Void

The biggest downside is critical damage, the range is 40-100, but you can only really choose 2 to really push. Acid is the main one, the other chosen here is Force. That can vary on preference. Acid/Force can get up to 80-100 range, the other elements are going to be around 40-50.

If you take Ruin/Gruin and Draconic Ruin Intensified with Acid, I can solo Iron Golem-heavy quests like Reach for the Sky or Best Laid Plans on R6 with very reasonable completion times. I am not claiming to be the best player, I am sure someone could solo at least some quests on R10.

It does sacrifice some DC, if you run Fatesinger and use the IOD staff that gets you another +4 DC to all schools.

Reaper Int: 116

DCs (No Boost):
Illusion: 129
Necro: 126
Enchant: 124
Conjuration: 118
Evocation: 118

Enhancements (98)
Archmage 41
Racial 17
Palemaster 23
Falconry 8
Feydark 9

Epic Destiny DC (75)
Draconic 35
Primal 24
Magus 16

Feats: (7 + 5WB)
1-Quicken
1-(WB) Maximize
3-Arcane Initiate
5-(WB) Empower
6-Extend swap Enlarge
9-SF Conjuration
10-(WB) SF Illusion
12-Insightful Reflexes
15-(WB) SF Necromancy
15-GSF Necromancy
18-GSF Illusion
20-(WB) Heighten
21-Epic SF Necromancy
22-Epic Spellpower Acid
24-Embolden
25-Epic Spell Power Force
27-Ruin
28-Epic Spell Power Cold
30-Scion of Feywild
30-Greater Ruin
31-Spell Specialty Enchantment

Augments
Topaz of Enchantment Power
Topaz of Conjuration Power
Topaz of Evocation Power
Topaz of Greater Enchantment
Topaz of Greater Necromancy
Topaz of Greater Illusion
Topaz of Greater Conjuration
Topaz of Greater Evocation
Saphire of Heavy Fortification
Saphire of Defense
Saphire of False Life
Saphire of Dodge
Pomura's Momento
Ravil's Book of Legendary Recipes
Diamond of Spellcraft
Diamond of Heal
Legendary Moment to Legendary Moment
Diamond of Insightful Constitution
Festive Int
Festive Con
Globe of Imperial Blood
The Blackstone Liturgy
Ruby of Devotion
Diamond of Perform
Wow, you're a rock star! I've got decent dcs in the builder, but it's good to see some confirmation. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

I dont Like gimps

RobShow, Kimbere, and Lazuli: The three of you are about five seconds away from being permanently removed from the forums. Any further insulting of each other or fighting will lead to your permanent removal.
Every discourse is a fight of wits and within this one theres been bare to none insults and if u include implied ones than u forgot Gunga lmao
a discussion without arguing isnt a discussion and brings no Harvest and I dont see any lines crossed

(somehow I feel this wont end well for me )

Guntango

Every discourse is a fight of wits and within this one theres been bare to none insults and if u include implied ones than u forgot Gunga lmao
a discussion without arguing isnt a discussion and brings no Harvest and I dont see any lines crossed

(somehow I feel this wont end well for me )
Reported.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Hey OP,

I am late to the party but I just reached 32 with my main. I don't play casters normally with it so I don't have special PLs or equipment (running Feywild tbh).
I am playing a Deep Gnome Archmage Shiradi. Yes, laugh it up but it is fun and I wanted to try it out. Main ED Shiradi, rest In Mage of the Eclipse.

I was able to solo R4 WPM. I did drink 2 Greater Mne Potions in the Crap fight. I used all charges of my RoSS Legendray and Epic and I do have two vile blasphemy with 3 charges each. That is maybe 8.5k spell points in total.
My SpellPower Force is around 900 in Reaper with potions my DCs are mid 90s and Illusion 123. Spellpoints roughly 6k
I am no zerger so I did kill every mob on my way and I did the optionals. I needed 35 Minutes

I am not here to pose, not with these numbers. I just wanted to say it is possible with my mana pool and numbers.

Cheers,
Titus

PS: I should have read more of the thread before participating.

Last edited:

DBZ

LGS Dominion set still works Necro and xx

And since epic strikes have been obliterated you might need one

The Narc

After being threatened by a ban and when I wasn't the one who was baiting? I will share on discord with people who really need help.
It is always best to share in other places even better if it is shared one on one where there is no chance of SSG getting a peak.

As for baiting i warned robshow privately early onin this thread to not get drawn in and just to focus on the positive posters offering help. I said its usually posters asking the same question over and over and claiming you havent answered their question, and best part is they will usually ask you to prove your response as soon as you give one.

This is the official new way for arguing popping up everywhere, and it is used because the one asking the question is never making a claim other than denouncing the claim of the answer you gave to their question which is obviously a trap in which you will never get out of.

This argument is used to frustrate you and to try and force you to stop publicly using the narrative you are currently using. Best way to deal with these people is answer once, state it is your opinion, acknowledge they are allowed their opinion and proceed to ignore any further discussion unless they offer up some positive or truly constructive arguments regarding the topic.

As an example Guntango has offered to run a wizard and give his opinion and feedback on how he believes the playability on wizards in high skulls is currently. Give him the time and space to bring his results to the table and make his own claims. That is when a real debate can begin, there is no debate if both sides are not making descriptive non vague claims, only the key form of the argument can be a generalization.

RobShow

Hey OP,

I am late to the party but I just reached 32 with my main. I don't play casters normally with it so I don't have special PLs or equipment (running Feywild tbh).
I am playing a Deep Gnome Archmage Shiradi. Yes, laugh it up but it is fun and I wanted to try it out. Main ED Shiradi, rest In Mage of the Eclipse.

I was able to solo R4 WPM. I did drink 2 Greater Mne Potions in the Crap fight. I used all charges of my RoSS Legendray and Epic and I do have two vile blasphemy with 3 charges each. That is maybe 8.5k spell points in total.
My SpellPower Force is around 900 in Reaper with potions my DCs are mid 90s and Illusion 123. Spellpoints roughly 6k
I am no zerger so I did kill every mob on my way and I did the optionals. I needed 35 Minutes

I am not here to pose, not with these numbers. I just wanted to say it is possible with my mana pool and numbers.

Cheers,
Titus

With my current build I also solo R4, but I would like to at least play solo in R6.

Anyway, thank you very much! Any cooperation information is very welcome, always!

RobShow

Hey OP,

Cheers,
Titus

I remembered something just now. Do you use that Shiradi ED that dominates a mob? If so, is the duration longer than the duration of the Mass Charm spell?

Do you use Evocation with Archmage to activate Shiradi?

Tistus

After the most horrible and clueless update ever, how do you have DPS with wizard?

Ruin is dealing less damage than ACID WELL even though my force spell damage modifiers are better than the acid spells.

After this nice update I can't finish R4 WPM on my own, which I used to finish quietly before the update.

Am I required to play only in a group now? Is this the goal of DEVs?

Wizard seems to be hated, with each passing year more nerfs.
Universal spellpower values seem to be the most relevant factor. :)

Guntango

My interpretation of a Wizard from my P&P days is that they were versatile magic users, could switch spells easily, had lots of feats, and were good at all things magic. Unfortunately, IMHO, they are crippled in DDO.

I ran a 20 Deep Gnome DC PM Wizard to learn more about the issue with wizard boss damage. I used easily farmable gear, nothing fancy. I had non-boosting 120 Illusion and 120 Necro DCs on the boat. I grabbed all the instakill spells, Acid Well, Meteor Swarm, and a bunch of Negative and Force Damage spells. Vanilla stuff. Spell Power in the 700s.

I soloed R6 WPM in 50 minutes. With so many insta kills, you can practically run through the quest to the bosses. The bosses were terrible slogs but doable; honestly, they were really the only challenge. I also soloed Grim and Barret R6, it took me 20 minutes. I had the same experience; bosses are a slog. As a comparison, I solo R6 G&B in 5 minutes on my pali.

I don't really love wizards in DDO. I intended to come back here with some data for you, but I'm very sorry to say that Wizards are in such a bad place currently that I don't want to waste another day on it. Sorcerer does everything better, Warlock is fine if you feel like being different.

A few notes regarding this thread and Wizards specifically:

1. If you want to solo R10s (or lower), there are better ways to do it; I'd say any class would be a better choice than Wizard.
2. All nukers are in a terrible place right now, asking for the bandaid of element strip on a wizard is as weak a solution as the class currently is.
3. The cast speed is a non-starter. I caught up on my news waiting for spell-timers.
4. I wanted to switch up the damage spells available at endgame, moving between elements like a good wizard should be able to: no gotz. Once you choose your 7,8,9-level spells, you're stuck. You can't buy or learn them; you're forced to LR to learn more spells to audition. It's a terrible system that leaves Wizard in last place as a spell caster, doing everything worse than every other caster.

To improve Wizards, I'd give them a few wizard-only feats that let them specialize deeper into damage or DCs. Give them access to all spells and allow them to switch spells between quests conveniently and affordably; waiting for a rare scroll drop just further ruins the class.

tl;dr: Element strip ain't the answer, it still leaves Wizards as the worst possible caster (class?) to play in DDO, begging the question of why they even exist. Wizards, and nukers in general, need some real help in the game, not just a band-aid.

Make Arcane Great Again.

XO

Last edited: