Kali's Monk Henshin Mystic THF WIS Melee DPS build

Fisto Mk I

Mystery finally solved (as of U61's release) :)

Monk-Henshin-Mystic-Lighting-the-Candle-buff-icon-NEW.jpg
Yea. I'm just not sure if the description or the ability itself has been corrected. ;)

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
As several people have requested/suggested this (particularly in Discord), I am working towards sharing the DDOBuilder files for all my builds, since I use that program to do all my planning. Hopefully they will be valuable for using in conjunction with their respective forum threads.

The main thread for this build has been updated to include this, under the main title:
10. Kali's Monk Henshin Mystic melee DPS build
DDOBuilder file for this build. You can find and download Maetrim's DDOBuilder here.

Do let me know is anyone has issues downloading the file from Goggle Drive (fingers crossed I got all the settings right!)

Very hopeful this will be a useful addition to my threads: thanks to everyone who suggested this.

N.B.
I arrange my DDOBuilder screen as per the image below (not this build in the image), as it helps me view the key aspects of my builds far more easily than opening and closing a bunch of windows. Just thought I'd share my experience, in case its useful:
Maetrim-s-DDOBuilder-sample.jpg

Maetrim's builder is really amazing, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Though gear sets are not considered a part of the 'core build', I do like to share what I do to provide suggestions/ inspiration.

Now that I have acquired enough items/ ingredients/ raid runes, I will be changing the gear set for my non-hybrid DPS alts (this alt included).

You can find more info in this thread.

N.B.: Particularly important considerations I tend to abide by ref equipment are:
- I want to achieve things in my lifetime
- vast majority of weapon swaps for bonuses are absolutely out of question: annoying, irritating, not fun at all
- all my melees invest in some defensiveness and survival: being a soul stone is not only frustrating, but contribute zero DPS
- I play 23 alts: this isn't changing, it's just how I like it
-
I need to have sets of 'standard equipment suites' that:
- fit a certain group of alts (e.g. DPS alts; THF combat style alts; etc.)
- is mostly sharable via the shared bank
- also include raid items, which are BTA, and so require considerable effort​
- include several slotted augments, many of which are rare, and so require considerable effort​
- can be achieved in a timeframe when they are still desirable, rather than when they are already obsolete
Those who have a bunch of active alts are most likely to fully appreciate how hard the tetris can be to make a set work for several alts, while still ensuring all key bonuses are included!

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!

Last edited:

Krenalor

Though gear sets are not considered a part of the 'core build', I do like to share what I do to provide suggestions/ inspiration.

Now that I have acquired enough items/ ingredients/ raid runes, I will be changing the gear set for my non-hybrid DPS alts (this alt included).

Below is an image of what is planned, including a list to keep track of which bonuses are included/not included.
New-DPS-gear-set.jpg

N.B.1: the Perfect Silence augment Set {+3 SA die} could replace the Tough Shields augment set {+30 PRR}, if more DPS is desired.

Here's the spreadsheet, in case anyone finds it useful!

Once the alts are geared up, I will update the images in the main thread. If there is enough interest, I can keep the images for the previous gear set (do let me know if you would like that)

N.B.2: Particularly important considerations I tend to abide by ref equipment are:
- I want to achieve things in my lifetime
- vast majority of weapon swaps for bonuses are absolutely out of question: annoying, irritating, not fun at all
- all my melees invest in some defensiveness and survival: being a soul stone is not only frustrating, but contribute zero DPS
- I play 23 alts: this isn't changing, it's just how I like it
-
I need to have sets of 'standard equipment suites' that:
- fit a certain group of alts (e.g. DPS alts; THF combat style alts; etc.)
- is mostly sharable via the shared bank
- also include raid items, which are BTA, and so require considerable effort​
- include several slotted augments, many of which are rare, and so require considerable effort​
- can be achieved in a timeframe when they are still desirable, rather than when they are already obsolete
Those who have a bunch of active alts are most likely to fully appreciate how hard the tetris can be to make a set work for several alts, while still ensuring all key bonuses are included!

I am always happy to read, consider and respond to constructive comments/ suggestions / feedback that are provided in a polite and friendly manner. I welcome discussions with anyone who is capable (and willing) to do this. Some discussions may lead to both parties simply agreeing to disagreeing - that's absolutely fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion after all!
I realize your staff is a part of your set, but isn't the Staff of Shadows still the best staff in the game?

Kalibano

I realize your staff is a part of your set, but isn't the Staff of Shadows still the best staff in the game?
Hey Krenalor, thanks for your comment.

Quite possibly, though I can't say I know for sure, as 'meta' is not something I get involved with (or care enough to bother following closely) :)

I've had a very positive experience with Dino crafted weapons: they feel very powerful indeed:
- Fang slot with alchemical attunement damage (the DoTs in particular being quite a popular option)
- Horn slot with powerful Lg Greensteel effects (inc Tar; Dust; Affirmation, Salt; Ice, etc.)
- set bonus freely included (on the Attuned version from the raid), which frees up am item slot for more tetris flexibility + chance to add extra/rare bonuses (e.g. quality seeker)

To me, they are clear winners. Also, as I am aiming for a gear set that can be mostly shared between 4 alts, they tetrised nicely in there, allowing me to secure most of the DPS bonuses I was after.

I am actually of the opinion that it was a bad move adding set bonus to weapons, as many players are likely to feel 'forced' to only use them, to the detriment of all other weapons, which are highly likely to become undesirable (much as what was done to armors really). That seems to be the future of weapons, unfortunately, as per what was released about the next raid.

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

Best physical damage per se before Dino Crafting was present, now very arguable.
I am actually of the opinion that it was a bad move adding set bonus to weapons
This ship was sailed long time ago, when old ToEE Evil set appeared in game. 8)

Last edited:

Xorlarrin

I am new to game, only on my second life. Wanted to try your build for second life, even made sure to use +5 str tome, and everything makes sense except, why did you pick +assassinate dc in falconry tree. Is it just filler points to get to higher tier or does monk somehow get assassinate at some point?

Last edited:

Kalibano

Does missing out on haste boost decrease dps by a lot?
Hi @rxmeo Thanks for your message.

Indeed, the lack of haste boost is a weakness of this build in its early stages. The thinking atm is to work towards getting the boost later once I get more racial lives. In effect, it's as if I have 'borrowed' the racial action points I will acquire down the line and used them now.

That's my personal preference, despite the loss of dps.

You may want to reduce the amount of action points spent in Trailblazer in favor of haste boost from Vistani, instead, if you feel the dps loss will be too much for you.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Kalibano

I am new to game, only on my second life. Wanted to try your build for second life, even made sure to use +5 str tome, and everything makes sense except, why did you pick +assassinate die in falconry tree. Is it just filler points to get to higher tier or does monk somehow get assassinate at some point?
Hi @Xorlarrin Welcome to DDO, hope you are enjoying the game. Glad you'll give this build a go in your second life, hope it goes ok.

Happy to clarify ref assassinate:
Assassinate is highly useful for two key things:
1. Quivering Palm
This is a feat, auto-granted @level 15, with an insta-kill effect. Considering this build benefits from strikethrough, it becomes an AoE insta-kill attack.
The monk delivers a fatal attack by sending waves of vibrations through the target with an open hand strike. The attack costs 30 Ki, and if it hits the victim must pass a Fortitude save (10 + monk level + highest of dexterity/wisdom modifier + assassinate bonuses) or die.
It also gains +2 DC on a failed saving throw.

2. Falconry bird attacks
This build uses 2 attacks from the Falconry tree (one of which is AoE) which Blind targets, causing them to become Helpless. Making enemies helpless is a very desirable thing in DDO, as everyone will do at least 50% more damage.
The Falconry attacks use assassinate in their formula:
DC: 10 + Character Level + Wisdom modifier + Assassinate bonuses

So you will want to add items with assassinate bonuses to maximise the utility of those abilities.

Quivering palm changed very recently: when time allows, I am planning to reduce points in Fury of the Wild to take assassinate DCs from Shadowdancer. Also planning to change my filigrees to get more assassinate there too.

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:

Kalibano

Build updated!
In light of the recent monk changes (particularly with Quivering Palm using Aassassinate), I made several adjustments to this build (inc heroic trees and Epic Destinies, but no feat changes).

Gear + filigrees fully updated in the live game
In line with the recent changes to gear sets and filigrees I have been doing to all my DPS alts (more info here, if interested), this build finally got its new gear and filigrees too!

The section Key stats and synergies has not yet been fully updated, so it's work in progress!
Info on cosmetics will also be added, as per other recently finished builds (e.g. Dark Hunter)

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Fisto Mk I

Abiding Path 1 => Any MP rare filigree not used before. 5MP>2MP+1DS. Sucker Punch or One against Many is the best, because...

... yea, 2 Assassinations DC from double Shadowstrike 1 is appealing, but personally i trade it for +18MP and +4STR from double raids Sucker Punch/OaM rare for any time day or night. And then 5MP from Sucker Punch or OaM filigrees provide additional benefist... sorry, benefits... 8)

Last edited:

Kalibano

Abiding Path 1 => Any MP rare filigree not used before. 5MP>2MP+1DS. Sucker Punch or One against Many is the best, because...

... yea, 2 Assassinations DS from double Shadowstrike 1 is appealing, but personally i trade it for +18MP and +4STR from double raids Sucker Punch/OaM rare for any time day or night. And then 5MP from Sucker Punch or OaM filigrees provide additional benefist... sorry, benefits... 8)
Hey Fisto :)

I thought long and hard about this, and I nearly went with what you suggested. However, I want my insta-kills to land as much as possible in the difficulty I normally play, and insta-kills are 'all-or-nothing' really. Quivering Palm works AoE with strikethrough, it's so good.

So I'm really going to stick with Assassinate all the way here, especially as feel I sort of need to make up for not having +6 from artifact and profane sources. Differently from the Dark Hunter (where I did compromise with 2 less Assassinate for MPw), this build gets a lot more from Assassinate: Coordinated Strikes from Falconry is just amazing AoE helplessness, so well worth it.

That Abiding path filigree, well... I don't plan to TR anytime soon, so getting that DS as close to 100% as I can, while still getting a bit of MPw is really entucing atm. When I get more ED points and can get one more rank of LD Strike Twice, I'll definitely swap for MPw!

Input much appreciated though: a fresh experienced pair of eyes is always a great thing, especially when the advice is constructive and friendly 😀

Last edited:

Kalibano

Main thread fully updated to reflect build adjustments and new gear + filigrees.
Several breakdowns also added.

Last edited:

Kalibano

More stat breakdowns were added (including Dodge Cap, which was requested by some people).

Last edited:

Kalibano

I like this build, I just need to adapt it for my DWARF! lool
Hey there :)

That should be fairly easy actually:
> I only use 2 APs in the racial tree because they are 'free' from +2 racial tomes I have on all my alts​
> If you have lots of racial past lives, and therefore, free racial APs, then I'd definitely say trailblazer is superior to Dwarf, so there would be some losses. But again, if you are doing it only for one quick TR life, then it won't matter as much as it would if this was your at cap endgame alt​
> Both races won't allow you to start with 20 Wisdom, so no loss there either​
> you'll perhaps end up with more starting ability points to spend, as Dwarves start with higher CON: if so, you may want to add them to STR, in case the req tome is not something you have already​
> All in all, I can't think of much you'd need to change really.​
Hope you enjoy it! :)

Majikfreak

Hey there :)

That should be fairly easy actually:
> I only use 2 APs in the racial tree because they are 'free' from +2 racial tomes I have on all my alts​
> If you have lots of racial past lives, and therefore, free racial APs, then I'd definitely say trailblazer is superior to Dwarf, so there would be some losses. But again, if you are doing it only for one quick TR life, then it won't matter as much as it would if this was your at cap endgame alt​
> Both races won't allow you to start with 20 Wisdom, so no loss there either​
> you'll perhaps end up with more starting ability points to spend, as Dwarves start with higher CON: if so, you may want to add them to STR, in case the req tome is not something you have already​
> All in all, I can't think of much you'd need to change really.​
Hope you enjoy it! :)
Thanks Man! I'll let you know... I have a +8 all tome... So I should be good!

Ruorick

You previously had a version of this deeply invested in the Trailblazer tree, did you change from that after the recent monk changes, or what other reasons? Looking to TR into this next and I liked all the Trailblazer's movement spring attack and trip 😆

Kalibano

You previously had a version of this deeply invested in the Trailblazer tree, did you change from that after the recent monk changes, or what other reasons? Looking to TR into this next and I liked all the Trailblazer's movement spring attack and trip 😆
Hey there,

I made adjustments because of the changes to Quivering Palm using Assassinate. Though initially the changes were only going to be in the EDs, I decided to also change my heroic trees to get Haste boost + the incorporeality from Ninja Spy, while acquiring past lives, so eventually down the line I could invest in the Trailblazer tree as before.

If you don't have many past lives, you could opt to drop the Vistani and Ninja Spy APs in favour of the racial tree, if this would suit your playstyle better. Then, as you acquire racial lives, you can invest in those 2 trees.

If you have racial past lives, then just fill the Trailblazer tree up, while keeping the rest as I suggested in my build :)

Here's the old image, in case it's helpful to guide your racial choices:
Monk-Hensin-Mystic-Heroic-enhancs-Old.jpg

Hope this was helfpful!

Last edited: