DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Seldarin

Since it's not a simple task, reporting on the progress of a task with an uncertain completion time doesn't make much sense.
Reporting every 4 hours is absurd.

Since I managed to restore the hardware trouble of the old system in two days, I feel like welcoming the people involved in the recovery with a standing ovation.
Clearly you have never had to deal with customers then, you sound more like one of the non-customer facing folks. 4 hours is not absurd at all for a major outage. In my job we do it every hour with major outages, 4+ hours with no update is a no go zone. You managed to restore hardware trouble on the old system? Did you work for Turbine then?

Yulrem

Legend of The Troubled
A joke comes to mind:
"Honey, why you never say you love me?"
"I said once when we got married 30 years ago. If anything changes, I'll let you know."

Fildur44

Was happy to be able to play. Not happy me as a vip not claiming the dragonlord now not be able to play as dragonlord?! Plz get the flag right? Take 995 points if want but let me get it free or be able to have it as you said?

Sylvado

Thanks for the correction. Paying subscriber then. I am pretty sure there was a payment option 17 years ago. So somantics, but whatever. As a paying member, that technically makes me a stakeholder, if we are dealing with somantics that is. Dunno if you read the last 78 or so pages, but many folks were getting quite aggravated with no updates, so i reckon regular updates wouldve appeased quite a few, they even said so, thats if you take the time to read the pages.
So your claim is that if they posted every 4 hours saying they were working on it, then users would not complain or at least a significant reduction in complaints?

Seldarin

So your claim is that if they posted every 4 hours saying they were working on it, then users would not complain or at least a significant reduction in complaints?
Significant reduction as opposed to silence, which is what was experienced for quite some time. But dont take my word for it, by all means ask around.

Reactions: DBZ

Ykty

Significant reduction as opposed to silence, which is what was experienced for quite some time. But dont take my word for it, by all means ask around.
What silence?

I see plenty of messages on this board https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?staff-tracker

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Seldarin

What silence?

I see plenty of messages on this board https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?staff-tracker
Yep for sure. I mean, wow awesome, one you post there Cordovans response was quote unquote "Crazy", wow thats a hell of an update, thanks for posting that one. Maybe check some of the ones you have listed as examples, some were 8 hours apart or longer, AND in direct response to someone else's post.

To save you a bit of reading of your own messages:

3.05 PM Saturday
3.31 PM Saturday
7.03 PM Saturday
8.28 PM Saturday
9.54 PM Saturday
10.33 PM Saturday
3.00 AM Sunday
8.09 AM Sunday
3.53 PM Sunday (save you the maths that nearly 8 hours overlap)
11.49 PM Sunday (again save you the maths thats nearly 8 hours overlap)
1.20 AM Yesterday - Yes i am sure people are working on it, massive update that one
1.04 AM Yesterday
1.56 AM Yesterday - Crazy, i have to say that update really blew me away and made me feel that worlds opening was only minutes away
4.20 AM Yesterday - Response to a question about build servers, not exactly related to whether things were on the way up
4.58 AM Yesterday

You read into my post what you wanted to. 2 blocks of 8 hours to me is a period of silence, as i highlighted above. I wont disagree for a minute that on Saturday they were all over it with updates, and thats fine. Come Sunday, wheels fell off and meh, whatever. Yesterday looks like the wheels of communication kicked into gear again and off we went. But and there is a but, there were two updates that didnt really say much between 3.00 AM Sunday and 11.49 PM Sunday and that is what is called Silence.

Last edited:

Grausherra

Been a VIP for 17 years, honeslty a limp excuse of an apology and a potion thrown my way doesnt really cut it for me. Accountability goes a long long way further for me, as a gaming community we are too content to accept mediocrity when it comes to support. Doesnt matter whether its Turbine or SSG, without fail when there has been an update, stuff breaks. Seem to be able to be johnny on the spot when there is a potential/or real violation, but when its a real game issue, meh, get to it when we get to it.

Whilst i understand and appreciate that things happen and stuff breaks, having worked in IT for over 30 years in a range of different roles and organisations, a couple of things that have always been paramount everywhere is customer service and communication. To be brutally honest, to have a message like "sorry for the downtime, but hey, worlds are up, seen you in game", is tantamount to a kick in the nuts. That isnt even an apology, or anything, its a stiff ****, everythings back, lets go make some money.

When it comes to communication, even an regular update, maybe every 4 hours or so, even if its just to say "hey, we arent sure of the issue, but we are looking at a number of different things to get things back online as soon as we can", is better than just silence.

And to all those who bang on about people giving up their time instead of being with families etc, if your job is to maintain networking equipment, server equipment (game servers or any servers for that matter), then there would usually be staff on call at all times. Leastways, i know there is where i work, we run a 24/7/365/366 rotating oncall roster for EVERYTHING, servers, software, networking, desktops/laptops/pagers, mobile phones. If stuff breaks, you get called, doesnt matter whether its public holidays etc. If there arent staff on call, to support hardware etc, then i am sorry to say, things are in a worse state than i care to imagine.

I expect to get hosed down or flamed for suggesting such things, but that is the reality of business, if you want to stay in business, your stuff has to keep working, irrespective of whether its a holiday or not. If you cant maintain it over holidays, because of not having support staff, then you should shut everything down for that period of time. This is a generalist view, not pinging stones at SSG.

As far as everyone calling for compensation, really? A couple of days of not being able to participate in a virtual world. If that gets your hair in a twist, you have bigger issues at play than that.

I agree with some, it does seem a tad coincidental that over the weekend, stuff stays broken, but the minute Monday workday clicks over, stuff is miraculously back online? That does seem a little too convenient, but meh whatever.
This is the most boomer wall of text I've seen here in a while.

Jumonis

Its a perspective thing. More years than I care to mention in IT, but from MY perspective (note the emphasis on my, we alll have different takes). In the event of a critical incident we update the directors every hour during normal working hours, out of hours we onnly send updates for significant changes. To the rest of the business, they get a nbotification that the system or service is down and that work is in progress to restore it. That message remains the same (not updated) until the system / service is either back online or we have a definitive time frame for doing so.

We dont update all the staff every 4 hours, we certainly dont update our customers (Most websites sim,ply note they are expereincing technical difficulties) every few hours on progress.

We are not directors, we are customers, yes we may not have patience, yes we may have a sense of entitlement, yes some of us may be convinced that we know best - but the reality is that this wa an internal technical issue that has been dealt with internally.

Regular updates to say nothing has changed would have annoyed as many people as they appeased - SSG could never win this one. Companies have down time, companies have IT f**k ups. It happens. Banks, building societys, Shopping Centres, Supermarkets, Business Centres, they all have problems - SSG's issue is that there customers are 24x7 and very vocal.

Obligation wise, they have already said they will extend VIP for the requiste loss, that they are extending the gold rolls too is a bonus - that was a freebie anyway.

Relax, its just a game and they are under no obligation to fix it under the glaring microscope of keyboard warriors. They had a problem, they fixed it, yes it took much longer than people wanted but thats the joy of IT - eternal complexity.

The_Apocalypse

Hey everyone, just a quick update! I have confirmed that we are extending the VIP Daily Gold Rolls until 4/26.

Plus, be on the lookout for something extra coming from us as a way of saying thank you for your patience!
I'm interested to learn what the "something extra" is. Is it like X-mas and we look forward to the present, or is it more that we shouldn't look forward to it, like Uncle Jon who always wants you to sit on his lap?

Sylvado

I'm interested to learn what the "something extra" is. Is it like X-mas and we look forward to the present, or is it more that we shouldn't look forward to it, like Uncle Jon who always wants you to sit on his lap?
It is difficult to come up with something that has value to any player because we all play for different reasons.

Volarr

Hey everyone, just a quick update! I have confirmed that we are extending the VIP Daily Gold Rolls until 4/26.

Plus, be on the lookout for something extra coming from us as a way of saying thank you for your patience!
the something extra is for everyone. My guess would be (let them eat cake)

Sylvado

I'm sure we could find a few things that we could all agree would be welcome. :)
I would welcome anything but what would actually be useful. Ottos Box, I actually think I have one in inventory because I like to play my character through, same for XP pots. Right now, guild XP pots would be useful to me but most would have no use for them. Raider's Box and the like, you can't really give away anything really good because it lessens the value of working for it in game.

Guntango

I would welcome anything but what would actually be useful. Ottos Box, I actually think I have one in inventory because I like to play my character through, same for XP pots. Right now, guild XP pots would be useful to me but most would have no use for them. Raider's Box and the like, you can't really give away anything really good because it lessens the value of working for it in game.
Glad I could help!