DDO unavailable: Saturday March 30th

Dementedleo1974

More important than the gold roll is to extend the subscription for two days since you have not provided service for two days. Turbine always did this, I don't understand why you guys don't do it.
I said same thing, was kinda bashed for it. Ohh well , I just got off work , tired and glad servers back up at least. I can at least veg a lil while before I pass out.

Ranock2006

Hey everyone, just a quick update! I have confirmed that we are extending the VIP Daily Gold Rolls until 4/26.

Plus, be on the lookout for something extra coming from us as a way of saying thank you for your patience!
Not really necessary in my opinion. These things happen, but all the appreciative otherwise.

Kiany

Hey everyone, just a quick update! I have confirmed that we are extending the VIP Daily Gold Rolls until 4/26.

Plus, be on the lookout for something extra coming from us as a way of saying thank you for your patience!
If I start a vip subscription, do you start earning the gold rolls that same day?

Vox

Please tell me SSG did some shenanigans to Cordovan for April fools

Pictures would be worth a thousand words

Hawk

We hear you! We'll have more information regarding this very shortly :)

I really hope you compensate everyone. There's a lot of people who drop large amounts of money on DDO points, even if they don't have a sub.

The minimum should at least be a couple of XP pots. A sovereign II for every 6 hours of downtime would be a start. It costs you nothing, and gains back the favor of your users. Unhappy users will result in them going off to play another game, and then who is left to pay your salary.

I personally don't say this because I want "free stuff", I say this because if DDO loses a large amount of annoyed players, the server population will drop even lower (it's already too low now), and you won't earn enough money to keep the servers up. I want the servers active, the population increased, and your jobs to remain. Think about it.

Tscheuss

A little something extra? Like Tumble? Are you bringing Tumble back?
*cue Justin Timberlake*

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I agree Hawk. I am VIP on one account, but I think I had purchased most of the content before I ever went VIP so I see your perspective. I really don't like calling it compensation, but it would be good if SSG sent a "thank you for your patience gift" to all of the folks (even if we weren't all that patient).

I would prefer ultimately that no gifts had to be made in the first place. Time lost is time lost and a few gold rolls + a goodie isn't a replacement for that.

VinoeWhines

Can one of the "Extras" be, making available a Lesser Racial Reincarnation option in the DDO store so that players can lesser Racial reincarnate to another race but stay same class. Like Lesser Racial reincarnation lets you respec your character but stay same class.

Micki

Thazara of Orien

As someone who got VIP from 3/27 mainly for the gold rolls, I said "I'd be happy if they extended the gold rolls for a few days". So thank you, this was what I wanted. If you extend my VIP for two days that would be nice as well.

Seldarin

Been a VIP for 17 years, honeslty a limp excuse of an apology and a potion thrown my way doesnt really cut it for me. Accountability goes a long long way further for me, as a gaming community we are too content to accept mediocrity when it comes to support. Doesnt matter whether its Turbine or SSG, without fail when there has been an update, stuff breaks. Seem to be able to be johnny on the spot when there is a potential/or real violation, but when its a real game issue, meh, get to it when we get to it.

Whilst i understand and appreciate that things happen and stuff breaks, having worked in IT for over 30 years in a range of different roles and organisations, a couple of things that have always been paramount everywhere is customer service and communication. To be brutally honest, to have a message like "sorry for the downtime, but hey, worlds are up, seen you in game", is tantamount to a kick in the nuts. That isnt even an apology, or anything, its a stiff ****, everythings back, lets go make some money.

When it comes to communication, even an regular update, maybe every 4 hours or so, even if its just to say "hey, we arent sure of the issue, but we are looking at a number of different things to get things back online as soon as we can", is better than just silence.

And to all those who bang on about people giving up their time instead of being with families etc, if your job is to maintain networking equipment, server equipment (game servers or any servers for that matter), then there would usually be staff on call at all times. Leastways, i know there is where i work, we run a 24/7/365/366 rotating oncall roster for EVERYTHING, servers, software, networking, desktops/laptops/pagers, mobile phones. If stuff breaks, you get called, doesnt matter whether its public holidays etc. If there arent staff on call, to support hardware etc, then i am sorry to say, things are in a worse state than i care to imagine.

I expect to get hosed down or flamed for suggesting such things, but that is the reality of business, if you want to stay in business, your stuff has to keep working, irrespective of whether its a holiday or not. If you cant maintain it over holidays, because of not having support staff, then you should shut everything down for that period of time. This is a generalist view, not pinging stones at SSG.

As far as everyone calling for compensation, really? A couple of days of not being able to participate in a virtual world. If that gets your hair in a twist, you have bigger issues at play than that.

I agree with some, it does seem a tad coincidental that over the weekend, stuff stays broken, but the minute Monday workday clicks over, stuff is miraculously back online? That does seem a little too convenient, but meh whatever.

Sylvado

Well, VIP was released 14.5 years ago.

Repeating the same update every 4 hours is not going to appease the masses, might even aggravate them. I also have over 30 years in IT, not counting the year or so in the Prudential computer room in the late 70s. There have been times we have provided updates to the major stakeholders every 4 hours but never that often to all users.

Once service is restored the best thing to do is get a quick message to all users to let them know service was restored, then you start on the post mortem to discuss what follow up may be required.

nenetteblackmoor

Since it's not a simple task, reporting on the progress of a task with an uncertain completion time doesn't make much sense.
Reporting every 4 hours is absurd.

Since I managed to restore the hardware trouble of the old system in two days, I feel like welcoming the people involved in the recovery with a standing ovation.

Seldarin

Well, VIP was released 14.5 years ago.

Repeating the same update every 4 hours is not going to appease the masses, might even aggravate them. I also have over 30 years in IT, not counting the year or so in the Prudential computer room in the late 70s. There have been times we have provided updates to the major stakeholders every 4 hours but never that often to all users.

Once service is restored the best thing to do is get a quick message to all users to let them know service was restored, then you start on the post mortem to discuss what follow up may be required.
Thanks for the correction. Paying subscriber then. I am pretty sure there was a payment option 17 years ago. So somantics, but whatever. As a paying member, that technically makes me a stakeholder, if we are dealing with somantics that is. Dunno if you read the last 78 or so pages, but many folks were getting quite aggravated with no updates, so i reckon regular updates wouldve appeased quite a few, they even said so, thats if you take the time to read the pages.