A Look at 2024, Year of the Dragon! - Producer's Letter

Mordenkainen

It's a rogue archetype: reasoning-

#1 Assuming it's not a class that already has an archetype.

#2 Something that wasn't mentioned in this thread before post #149

#3 That leaves Artificer, Rogue, Wizard, Alchemist, Favored Soul.

#4 Arty, Wiz, Alch had some touch-up improvements recently. FvS thematically I can't make it work.

#5 Leaves only the unloved Rogue.

Tarinia

Again super excited, but just a clerical matter. I recall we all voted on Planescape? (or was it a vote? memory of 2023 is fuzzy..probably for good reason lol) And wasn't something confirmed regarding Planescape or was this all wishful thinking. (Myth Drannor is equally cool. Just trying to remember correctly).

And some background info on Mythic Drannor, not sure what timeframe we will be adventuring in, assuming the modern age post time of troubles.

I remember the same- planescape was voted and I was really excited about that- because wizards has freshly presented it for 5ed- Myth drannor would have been my second vote... would like to know if planescape is canceled or just moved?

Thanks
Tarinia

Tarinia

I'd assume stuff from the entire Pool of Radiance adventures (Curse of the Azure Bonds, Hillsfar, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness, Ruins) will be in it or at least referenced. It's also possible the Eye of the Beholder stuff might make it in (particularly EoB 3: Assault on Myth Drannor) for the dungeons.

But I'd really want an Alias and/or Dragonbait Hirelings. Given Alias has multiple clones out there (and are all blessed with unaging), it's not a stretch. I wouldn't care if the AI isn't the smartest. Just having a legit D&D legendary hireling is cool.
More interesting is, that shadowdale is next to Myth drannor... so perhaps we see an official open zone of the most popular town in Forgotten realms, home of Elminster, the knight of myth drannor, Storm Silverhand, one of the seven sisters....?

Mordenkainen

Way to completely miss the first sentence of that post... In response to post #39...
It's true she responded at around 11 AM today on post #39 so you can assume that between #39 nd #149 the suggestions of what it is hasn't been read... BUT, she said the same exact thing on Cord's Fridays at 4. So, most likely over the 4 hours she had, she most likely finished the thread to at least #149.

Also in terms of the archetype itself: Shadow Dragon Ninja. or Dragon Ninja.

Or something with Ninjas and Dragons. Because by golly Ninjas + Dragons are like the two coolest things ever.

Last edited:

Rathy

I dunno, when I told my group about the letter contents, they mostly shrugged. New quests they liked, the raid is meaningless to us of course, but they are premium so not sure if the new quests will be free or not. ED changes are meaningless to us so noone cared. New races, archtypes etc. no one cares about either as we have barely played those that are avilable.

The new night revels quest should be fun!

And hahaha; at first, they didn't believe that there would be no more HC until 2025 (at best). They would rather have HC grouping to muck around in as everyone is mostly at the same level (barring game knowledge) and even we can contribute to the group completing a quest. Really it is that, simply because HC PUGs are not intimidating like regular servers pugs where everyone has multiple lives, gear, seems to know the game completely, and sometimes even get upset/yelling because of some 10 sec delay you caused since turned left instead of take some unknown shortcut (that everyone knows of course---like gods save me when I broke the jumping crate in Ringleader many many years ago!) and cost them precious time on the XP pots or whatever. Ahem. You can ignore that rant.

The year of the dragon stuff sounded interesting to use but who knows what that means? It it is more cosmetics, I don't honestly care much unless they are super-cool but they are somewhat intested in what the monthly stuff will be.

As for the replacement for HC with a "...Dynamic Event will be inclusive of all character levels...", well noone in my groups, including me, believes that! "What color will the sky be this time?" was the basic response. :)

There is just no way the PUG grouping for this new event will be anything like those on any HC! Oh sure there will be pugs in the Social panel for whatever, like find the thingy or kill the baddie or whatever the quest is, but those will be filled with triple-complete, 500 past life, reaper 37, groups all fully geared out. Soooo even if I join, Im just a soul stone or lost in the backwash of Khyber folks. Or worse, an actual hinderence to the group getting it's goal done vs. them having another 100 past life player help them.

I'm exaggerating, but how is a first life toon, with no "real"gear,no reaper points, etc. etc. is going to keep up with even an average group on Kyber? lol. I mean, they can babysit but why spoil their fun with that?

Dielzen

Some sort of Beast/Totem Barbarian would be interesting...given all the GClubs they've added recently it'll prolly spec in *shudder* clubs

Mordenkainen

Some sort of Beast/Totem Barbarian would be interesting...given all the GClubs they've added recently it'll prolly spec in *shudder* clubs

Yeah I get a feeling they'll do something with Gclubs, just Gclubs and clubs in general are just terrible weapons.

DBZ

Revenge of the mass froggers here i come been ready and waiting all year for scorched earth and all kinds of new shiradi testing

DBZ

I still have never seen a single build or anyone ever use the magus ed on my server some 1 said it has real potential but if there's builds

I can't find em fight club ok but post one please

Aelonwy

Anyone guessed some conjunction of Favored Soul with Bahamut? Only other thing comes to mind is Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries, a monk prestige class which might be able to be adapted to the Prophecy of Argonessen.

Mordenkainen

Anyone guessed some conjunction of Favored Soul with Bahamut? Only other thing comes to mind is Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries, a monk prestige class which might be able to be adapted to the Prophecy of Argonessen.

Favored Dragon Soul lol.

Yes I'm just tacking on 'Dragon' to everything.

DBZ

Do you know any builds built around magus ed seriously asking i do not

Ahh more warlock shiradi fun after scorched earth time i can't wait u sneaky sob i get it now

Idk what to choose from now droam set imbue dice free or bright gave procs wish i could have both u vote i want both

Year of the dragon armor sets mandatory no resets its built around that

Last edited:

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
Hey all,

I just can't seem to stay away from a mystery.... for those trying to solve.. the background image used in today's Fridays @ 4... seems like a huge hint! 3 characters, each a different type.... with possibly some very telling equipment. And it wouldn't be the first time they dropped a hint in the live stream.

A sword and shield melee decked out in silver dragonscale equipment.
A thf warrior (likely the barbarian sev dropped hints on last year).
And archer of some kind.

Don't recognize every peice of equipment. beyond what the tank is wearing and the barb's founder's helm, but stuff looks familiar.

The melee in particular... dragon themed... could be a trick but I'd guess that's supposed to be a tower shield... which probably tells us the class. ;)

image.png

Mordenkainen

Hey all,

I just can't seem to stay away from a mystery.... for those trying to solve.. the background image used in today's Fridays @ 4... seems like a huge hint! 3 characters, each a different type.... with possibly some very telling equipment. And it wouldn't be the first time they dropped a hint in the live stream.

And archer of some kind.

Don't recognize every peice of equipment. beyond what the tank is wearing and the barb's founder's helm, but stuff looks familiar.

The melee in particular... dragon themed... could be a trick but I'd guess that's supposed to be a tower shield... which probably tells us the class. ;)

image.png
What weapon is that WF using? Hmmm.. looks like a sledgehammer?

Also the Dragon themed archetype is a Rogue (Dragon Ninja) or maybe Fighter? (Dragon Samurai, lol.. is that even a thing?)

Lanadazia

thrilled for all of this!
thanks for not having yet another hardcore season, but do something new and refreshing.
glad you keep the game fresh

Reactions: DBZ

Edrein

Hey all,

And archer of some kind.

image.png
In that case; Dragon Lord for the Sword and Board fighter, likely Diamond Dragon for the 'barbarian'/THF, and Hand of the Winged Masters for the Bow build.

That's guessing that all three archetypes are based on the Dragon Magic prestiges. Which would mean; Fighter, Barbarian, and Rogue. The interesting one would be Diamond Dragon as they're usually psionic based. So maybe another modified rage type similar to bears and shifters?

Last edited: